• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

it changes nothing in the grand scheme of things because of the way they changed unspoiled node timers you always have enough time to naturally regen to 600 GP between nodes and not use a cordial, it just makes you get there slightly faster
It doesn't even increase GP regeneration per swing

It's a fucking joke

aceface

I was more disappointed with Zenos an anything:
the Empire losing both Ala Mhigo and Doma is solely a result of his incompetence. He could have easily killed the WoL twice, but keeps letting him go because "the hunt" I mean I get he's bored and needs a fight with an equal to feel something, but he puts this need above the Empires interests in retaining its territories. This is horrible leadership and I wish we would have gotten more scenes of the Emperor chastising him and Zenos in return caring even less about holding his official job.

Wagram

Ultimecia's Castle would be a perfect raid in this game. I want it.

I was more disappointed with Zenos an anything:
the Empire losing both Ala Mhigo and Doma is solely a result of his incompetence. He could have easily killed the WoL twice, but keeps letting him go because "the hunt" I mean I get he's bored and needs a fight with an equal to feel something, but he puts this need above the Empires interests in retaining its territories. This is horrible leadership and I wish we would have gotten more scenes of the Emperor chastising him and Zenos in return caring even less about holding his official job.

He doesn't really care about the Empire from what i've gathered. He was a test subject, his father basically despises him and considers him a monster. He thinks his grandfather was weak and a coward, etc.

B.K.

I was in a Lakshmi Ex party just now and one of the party members was parsing. My DPS was 1437. How bad is that? I used Holy Spirit when I could for extra damage, but I never left tank stance, so we could reliably know who was going to get the OT cleave.

On Lyse:
I thought she did a lot. She led a team through that Empire Castrum, she led a team in Ala-Migho I believe, and maybe Doma castle too? So her contributions are co-equal with yours in those dungeons, even though they are off screen. She fought and defeated Forodola, who is ostensibly as strong as the WoL (although not as trained in the echo). Yeah when you fight Shinryu she gets the hell out of the way because it's dangerous for anyone without the echo to go after a primal. All the scions have always done that. I struggling to think of what Hien does that's better than her...the WoL even wins that goddamn tournament thing on the steppe which I was sure they were going to throw to Hien.

I have to agree that she did do stuff befitting of a leader. It will make her development in future patches even better.

Nightz

So I just hit 35 on my trial account and I'm ready to pick up the complete edition tomorrow. Can I still be invited by someone via recruit-a-friend? Not sure how that whole thing works.

ChrisP63

Just hit 67 right before Maintenance started, I feel accomplished.

Going to try and grind my way to 70 this weekend between family obligations and work tomorrow.

Teiran

I was in a Lakshmi Ex party just now and one of the party members was parsing. My DPS was 1437. How bad is that? I used Holy Spirit when I could for extra damage, but I never left tank stance, so we could reliably know who was going to get the OT cleave.

Looking through a bunch of old parses, that's really about what I'd expect from the OT in a PF clear party. I don't think you'd have to be in tank stance all the time to be second on threat, though?

B.K.

Looking through a bunch of old parses, that's really about what I'd expect from the OT in a PF clear party. I don't think you'd have to be in tank stance all the time to be second on threat, though?

I was main tank. I stayed in tank stance, so we could keep the same people one and two on the enmity list so the same person would get the cleave. I didn't want to fall to number two and get surprised by the OT attack.

Reszo

I was there... which is exactly why I said what I said. Theres her getting embarrassed by Zenos, her getting embarrassed by enhanced Fordola. I guess she gets credit for subduing Fordola after I beat her?

Lmao, i never realized this .

Squishy3

I was main tank. I stayed in tank stance, so we could keep the same people one and two on the enmity list so the same person would get the cleave. I didn't want to fall to number two and get surprised by the OT attack.
In an ideal Lakshmi party, the OT can shirk you, so you should theoretically never have any enmity issues where he'd sneak up on you because he's giving you 25% of his enmity every 120s, and he shouldn't have to provoke the boss often enough that it becomes a problem.

if it does become a problem, tell the DPS they have abilities that also reduce their enmity so they don't sneak up as easily to number 2.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Omega storyline can get really fucking meta if they wanted to do so, especially concerning the WoL.

erawsd

Not defending it as good storytelling (arguably it is not), but the "the player is the most special, badass snowflake in the whole galaxy and defeated 3 evil overlords before their 21st birthday (oh and I guess Celebrity NPC was there too, not that they did anything more than exposit)" premise is moreso a hallmark of modern MMORPGs than something particular to FFXIV. Althoguh i think WoW and GW2 might place mroe emphasis on NPCs than on players, but I don'tr have a lot of experience with either of those.
Then there's how other players are treated - it is kind of oddly discongruous that the RP part isn't MM at all and that other (IRL) people only exist for (usually) optional content.

Compared to ARR and Heavenwards I do think that Stormblood tries to humble the WoL a bit.
Few of the natives seem to know or care who you are. You suffer the two losses to Zenos. They even let Alphinuad /Alisae beat you over the head with how stupid it was to go after him that second time. And, maybe I just didnt notice it before, but there seems to be a lot more mention of your "mysterious team of adventurers". Though by the end you are back to being super awesome.

LordKasual

Banned
? FF14's non-bank space is paltry.
You must be counting retainers as non-bank space, but bank space is exactly what they are.

25 item slots per body part = 300 slots dedicated to gear
+Inventory = 200 slots for whatever

That's 500 without retainers (In FFXIV 3.0)

+2 Retainers = 350 slots

That's 850 item slots....

I mean I guess it's not very much if you do alot of crafting and you omit the armoury?

aceface

I was there... which is exactly why I said what I said. Theres her getting embarrassed by Zenos, her getting embarrassed by enhanced Fordola. I guess she gets credit for subduing Fordola after I beat her?

Lyse's LB beat Forodola, I'm not sure why you are trying to steal her credit here

Compared to ARR and Heavenwards I do think that Stormblood tries to humble the WoL a bit.
Few of the natives seem to know or care who you are. You suffer the two losses to Zenos. They even let Alphinuad /Alisae beat you over the head with how stupid it was to go after him that second time. And, maybe I just didnt notice it before, but there seems to be a lot more mention of your "mysterious team of adventurers". Though by the end you are back to being super awesome.

The "team of adventurers" has been mentioned before as a narrative justification for multiplayer trials/dungeons, but Stormblood lampshaded it more than the story has done previously. I was especially amused when after Susano showed up Lyse said, "The Warrior of Light has a lot of adventurer friends - who knows? Maybe some of them randomly decided to take a fishing trip to the East." Pfft.

Xux

What's the lore behind Scholar's hologram computer screens that it summons from no where? At least Machinist has the precedent of copious random machines to justify having holo-screens for the sole purpose of regulating the Gauss Barrel's heat.

duckroll

What's the lore behind Scholar's hologram computer screens that it summons from no where? At least Machinist has the precedent of copious random machines to justify having holo-screens for the sole purpose of regulating the Gauss Barrel's heat.

Aren't those "books" the characters carry around just advanced portable computers? That's the impression I got after finishing the Bahamut raid.

MogCakes

I was in a very frustrating Susano EX group in which our WHM and AST could not manage their MP at all. 2 minutes into the fight and they were already less than 1/3rd. It's as if lucid dreaming just doesn't exist to them. Our AST went diurnal (of course they did) and thus we had absolutely no mitigation. Their idea of healing was to spam Cure III and helios as much as possible, it's amazing we even got the thing to 7% several times before inevitably wiping because they failed to heal us through ukehis, and god forbid someone electrocute our side by accident, it would take them 10 seconds to respond.

gjkdlagjak

studyguy

Lyse LB's Fordola? Pretty sure I beat her into submission and she happened to LB at the end

I mean I like her as a character sort of design style and stuff, but overall she was the weakest character of the expac by far, hell you could probably argue she's been the weakest Scion storywise and the least paid attention to even in her own expac so far. I dunno, I mean overall I'm fine with her being gone, but like most of this expac felt like her shoehorning herself in to situations.

Is it not even like mental math? I'm pretty sure I read that a lot the JP skills for scholar reference like stratagems instead of magic skills. Feels like a lot of the skill names and effects sound better with that approach.

Uhm what? To be fair... Lyse beats her and you are more of the suppressor in that fight. Were you not paying attention?

MogCakes

I'm more interested in whether
they will ever go into details of where Omega and Midgarsommer came from.
:)

I don't think SE will ever reveal where Omega actually came from. Even in V Omega is an otherworldly being right? A lot of people were thinking XIV would answer that question with Omega being present in Eorzea, but now we see it's just a traveler, albeit on extended stay. I'm thinking Midgardsormr traversed the void in a way the Ascians cannot, as he seems well beyond mortality and more on the level of Hydaelyn and the Twelve.

studyguy

I don't think SE will ever reveal where Omega actually came from. Even in V Omega is an otherworldly being right? A lot of people were thinking XIV would answer that question with Omega being present in Eorzea, but now we see it's just a traveler, albeit on extended stay. I'm thinking Midgardsormr traversed the void in a way the Ascians cannot, as he seems well beyond mortality and more on the level of Hydaelyn and the Twelve.

I like that the raid itself has essentially become this giant amalgam of all our past adventures joining together to help us. Nero & Midgar showing up to help the usual crew with Cid. Wonder who else shows up later if anyone.

duckroll

Errrrr....
I don't think they come from other dimensional versions of Hydaelyn like the Warriors of Darkness or the Ascians do. The wording seems different? I take it that both (this) Omega and Midgardsormr are literally from other planets in deep space, but from the same dimension (or shard, whatever they call it). Space is something they haven't really touched on much, but I think they should explore it further in future. There was already mention that the Allagians managed space travel at some point but not to what extend. And we know shit's happening on the moon.

All we need now is a fleet of Ragnaroks and an Adel raid. <3

I think keeping rdm in melee range is probably a dps gain. Never use backstep, use dash on cooldown, 80/80 melee combo, and let autoattacks do the rest. Yeah, it's low damage, but it's sustained that you otherwise wouldn't have and pbaoes aren't common.

But then, I am not 70 on it yet.

I'm a bit late here but I'm pretty sure RDM loses Dualcast if an autoattack lands. I never tested this but it was stated a bunch of times pre-release on reddit ect. On top of that, Displacement is a dps gain so it should always be used and on CD whenever possible. Your autos are really piddly because you have 0 stats that they scale with so even a low potency oGCD like Displacement easily wins out.

Xux

Is it not even like mental math? I'm pretty sure I read that a lot the JP skills for scholar reference like stratagems instead of magic skills. Feels like a lot of the skill names and effects sound better with that approach.
I know all that; I'm just amused they picked computer screens appearing for the animation instead of, say, a big book that appears and flips through its pages or lines of text or zoology drawings floating around.

Berordn

Errrrr....
I don't think they come from other dimensional versions of Hydaelyn like the Warriors of Darkness or the Ascians do. The wording seems different? I take it that both (this) Omega and Midgardsormr are literally from other planets in deep space, but from the same dimension (or shard, whatever they call it). Space is something they haven't really touched on much, but I think they should explore it further in future. There was already mention that the Allagians managed space travel at some point but not to what extend. And we know shit's happening on the moon.

Considering that we're dealing with the Void and the Rift in this very expansion, I wouldn't be too surprised if it's actually the Omega from FFV we're dealing with. XII's version of the weapon was kind of interesting in how it hinted that it also came from the void, and we're going to Ivalice after all.

It seems like there's something special about Hydaelyn's position in the void or closeness to the rift that lets it draw in characters from other universes, but that's just random speculation on my part.

I said I was going to level Samurai but I remembered that I really liked Ninja so I'm doing that first.

Hide is really awesome now.

It looks like you can use Doton on a pack of mobs and use Hide before it actually hits them so you can get another immediate Ninjutsu use.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Now that VI prices have stabilized I'm going to start melding my SAM gear with Savage VIs.

I said I was going to level Samurai but I remembered that I really liked Ninja so I'm doing that first.

Hide is really awesome now.

It looks like you can use Doton on a pack of mobs and use Hide before it actually hits them so you can get another immediate Ninjutsu use.

Doton > Hide > Katon > Kassatsu > Katon makes me very giddy on large packs of mobs.

scy

I was in a very frustrating Susano EX group in which our WHM and AST could not manage their MP at all. 2 minutes into the fight and they were already less than 1/3rd.

Man, I don't even know if I could find a way to vent that much MP on Susano. I healed it for the first time earlier and there's no real GCD need in the first half of the fight (barring untimely dice fails or people playing in the sea) so it's mostly just DPSing until post ultimate with an early Lucid and Thin Air to get their cooldowns rolling while staying at 80-90% MP. I did it as WHM but AST can basically do the same and even extend their first Lucid when extending their pre-pull card anyway and have that cover the first half of the fight. I basically just threw rocks for sword phase and let the AST handle most the GCD burden with shields / Earthly Star while I let a pre-cast Med 2 and oGCDs handle anything else. Because I had rocks to throw.

After tanking a bunch of Susanos in PF, I kind of just assumed the MP situation was more dire than it ended up being when I got around to healing it. From the WHM side of it, Lucid is up pretty often, Assize is up a lot, and Thin Air handles any actual GCD burn time (that I tended to waste on DPSing because I get antsy sitting on cooldowns) so it seems pretty hard to actually run out of MP.

Squishy3

I've talked about it before but the idea of Allagans that went to space to colonize or whatever and end up coming back because they received a message as the Allagan Empire was falling but between the distance the message needed to travel plus the travel time back they only just arrived (this could also be a cool world event ala Dalamud, where each subsequent patch the spaceship gets bigger) they're more interested in what happened to the Allagan Empire and learning about the world as it is now and may not be inherently evil. (And the 60-70 summoner quests also start planting the seeds to imply that not every Allagan is bad)

studyguy

I'd like to move past the Allags at some point. I mean there were other civilizations that came before them too.
I'd like to have references to some of the earlier calamities. Or at least more lore on them.

Ozigizo

I tried to put Susano Ex, it went about as well as you'd expect. 2 wipes and the MT says "My wife needs me to take out the trash, bye" and poofs.

Thing that sucks with PF now is that it's actually rare to see a party that wants anyone without a clear. The mechanics of this fight are incredibly easy, so I don't understand what the issue is.

MogCakes

Errrrr....

FF's version of space is the void or at least something very similar to it, from my understanding, as the reference to 'star' is referring to the planet and not the universe. Omega and Gilgamesh, and I believe Ultros and Typhon, are void travelers through each FF entry they appear. Lightning, too, since she appeared in an event early into 2.0 and IIRC has been confirmed canon to XIV. Although quite how she, Ultros, Gilgamesh, and Typhon manage to traverse the void without sacrificing their corporeal bodies is quite another mystery. I suspect Midgardsormr might know of it. You could be right and space travel is how Midgardsormr gets around, but given the FF multiverse connected by the void is canon, I'm inclined to believe we're dealing more with the rift between worlds rather than straight up space travel. Perhaps the two are one and the same in the FF multiverse. World of FF certainly hasn't made things any simpler either. Or Dissidia. I would like to know where in the divine order Hydaelyn stands, as it is quite literally the Great Crystal, or at least -a- great crystal. Personally, I think XIV is at the epicenter of the multiverse, or Hydaelyn is.

I tried to put Susano Ex, it went about as well as you'd expect. 2 wipes and the MT says "My wife needs me to take out the trash, bye" and poofs.

Thing that sucks with PF now is that it's actually rare to see a party that wants anyone without a clear. The mechanics of this fight are incredibly easy, so I don't understand what the issue is.

We must have been in the same party. I saw that exact excuse used.

Top Bottom