• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Alex

Man, I don't even know if I could find a way to vent that much MP on Susano. I healed it for the first time earlier and there's no real GCD need in the first half of the fight (barring untimely dice fails or people playing in the sea) so it's mostly just DPSing until post ultimate with an early Lucid and Thin Air to get their cooldowns rolling while staying at 80-90% MP. I did it as WHM but AST can basically do the same and even extend their first Lucid when extending their pre-pull card anyway and have that cover the first half of the fight. I basically just threw rocks for sword phase and let the AST handle most the GCD burden with shields / Earthly Star while I let a pre-cast Med 2 and oGCDs handle anything else. Because I had rocks to throw.

After tanking a bunch of Susanos in PF, I kind of just assumed the MP situation was more dire than it ended up being when I got around to healing it. From the WHM side of it, Lucid is up pretty often, Assize is up a lot, and Thin Air handles any actual GCD burn time (that I tended to waste on DPSing because I get antsy sitting on cooldowns) so it seems pretty hard to actually run out of MP.

Susano is mechanically in the ballpark of Titan but with an attrition style DPS check rather than a Patchwerk. The fight is largely on the backs of the DPS, they will either do their job or you will slowly lose the fight even if you're managing to tread water.

Issue is that there are a *lot* of really poor PF DPS, people literally pulling half the damage (or less) than they should be doing which is why pug experiences with Susano swing so widely.

MP is only as dire as these groups make it, although even in a poor group I don't know how you'd hit the ult phase with low mana like that unless multiple people are biting it before the transition, even on AST or SCH. WHM is tuned to have the highest throughput and longevity, so it is going to suffer somewhat less problems with core things like that regardless.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What should I be melding as a Red Mage? Not spell speed I assume so... Crit and Direct hit? What should I be prioritizing, etc.

I've heard Crit/DH from the Red Mage discord.

Xux

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/02cb1ca61196bcb176574748b7735b2fcaa6e111

■The following adjustment has been made:
・To alleviate Duty Finder congestion, the Adventurer in Need bonus for Duty Roulette: Leveling will now grant additional rewards.
・Additional Reward:
Cracked Cluster

*Participation as Disciple of War or Magic of level 60 or higher is required.
*"Cracked Cluster" is scheduled to be displayed in the Adventurer in Need reward section in Patch 4.05.

Bowlie

Banned
■The following adjustment has been made:
・To alleviate Duty Finder congestion, the Adventurer in Need bonus for Duty Roulette: Leveling will now grant additional rewards.
・Additional Reward:
Cracked Cluster

*"Cracked Cluster" is scheduled to be displayed in the Adventurer in Need reward section in Patch 4.05.

RIP materia market

Haly

Bandaid solution to systematic problem, but this is just FFXIV all over.

Hunts is still a better use of my time than leveling roulette.

Redx508

Bandaid solution to systematic problem, but this is just FFXIV all over.

Hunts is still a better use of my time than leveling roulette.

275723160840830976.png

Haly

Also as far as I can tell it's the daily bonus, not a constant bonus.

Anyone doing Leveling roulette would've already been using their tank for the instant queues, so this does fuck all to entice them unless they were skipping the roulette entirely, and I can still farm clusters faster just paying attention to my huntshell.

Anyone doing Leveling roulette would've already been using their tank for the instant queues, so this does fuck all to entice them unless they were skipping the roulette entirely, and I can still farm clusters faster just paying attention to my huntshell.

This is the Adventurer in Need bonus, which means it'll always apply for whatever role is in need, usually tank.

Haly

This is the Adventurer in Need bonus, which means it'll always apply for whatever role is in need, usually tank.

Well I just checked leveling roulette now as tank (because Tanks are always In Need) and I see no cluster so either it's a UI error or...

Squishy3

Well I just checked leveling roulette now as tank and I see no cluster so either it's a UI error or...
something something read patch notes

Qvoth

That means 7 confirmed materia 6s per week, holy crap

Edit: just realized it's adventure in need bonus, not daily bonus... That means only tanks will get it :/

Frumix

Suffering From Success

It's a constant bonus. Get on your paladong and get all the VI materia you ever want.

Meciu

That means 7 confirmed materia 6s per week, holy crap

Edit: just realized it's adventure in need bonus, not daily bonus... That means only tanks will get it :/

You can get as many as you want as long as you queue as the role in need.

Edit: beaten.

Qvoth

Hahaha it's not a daily bonus?
Mat 6 prices will drop like a fucking meteor
I'll probably use my sch whenever I see a healer in need

duckroll

I'm a DPS, I've seen DPS in Need on Trail and Guildheists before. Never on the others. It's almost always Tank. Never saw Healers either.

ubercheez

To alleviate Duty Finder congestion, the Adventurer in Need bonus for Duty Roulette: Leveling will now grant additional rewards.

But don't worry guys, our data shows that tanks and healers don't jump ship to DPS when new expansions come out.

Haly

Yah it works. If VI prices stabilize at 100,000g then leveling roulette will give you approximately 4000g per minute. I think the final price will be a lower than that though.

A lot of these issues to the fixed trinity, uniformed job design, comes fron 2.0.

The idea of different types of tanks died when WAR 2.0 sucked so much, that they just made him similar to PLD.

Pure support job died when ppl where just stacking 2 BRD for most fights.

They clearly decided that the way to avoid most balance headaches was to make a more rigid trinity system.

Is obviously the team fault, and they definetly needs to make it so tanks feels more different, but I feel the initial intention was to make it less rigid.

The news post makes it sound it's already in and only the UI thing is coming later, but ppl saying they're not getting the cracked clusters? Maybe it'll start after today's reset?

Anyway sounds nice, kinda. Would be better if it also worked on 50/60 queue, since that's a queue that generally takes longer for me as a DPS, and a lot of the MSQ stuff is in there too.

The "team of adventurers" has been mentioned before as a narrative justification for multiplayer trials/dungeons, but Stormblood lampshaded it more than the story has done previously. I was especially amused when after Susano showed up Lyse said, "The Warrior of Light has a lot of adventurer friends - who knows? Maybe some of them randomly decided to take a fishing trip to the East." Pfft.

That line and "Wisdom and Foresight" excuse that pops up throughout Stormblood are just in the English version.

The other languages don't make mention of it.

royox

I have a very NOOB question.

When I cast some spell (as BLM, SMN, RDM...) I see I can move when the cast bar is more or less at 90% and the fire/verfire/etc will be fired while I'm moving (helping A LOT at dodging aoes while keeping the damage up)

Is that a feature or I have a lot of lag?

When I cast some spell (as BLM, SMN, RDM...) I see I can move when the cast bar is more or less at 90% and the fire/verfire/etc will be fired while I'm moving (helping A LOT at dodging aoes while keeping the damage up)

Feature, you can queue up actions this way too. pressing an action in the last couple of % will execute that action afterwards.

U can't do this with macros alas.

Silav101

Pretty much a feature due to how the engine works. Some peepz call it slidecasting, mastering it is the hallmark of great spellcasting (healing and dps'ing).

Orcastar

Pretty much a feature due to how the engine works. Some peepz call it slidecasting, mastering it is the hallmark of great spellcasting (healing and dps'ing).

In most strategy videos I've watched, people just hammer the buttons instead of trying to time it correctly.

R0ckman

Compared to ARR and Heavenwards I do think that Stormblood tries to humble the WoL a bit.
Few of the natives seem to know or care who you are. You suffer the two losses to Zenos. They even let Alphinuad /Alisae beat you over the head with how stupid it was to go after him that second time. And, maybe I just didnt notice it before, but there seems to be a lot more mention of your "mysterious team of adventurers". Though by the end you are back to being super awesome.

The humbling wasn't even authentic to me. In terms of Zenos
not having the natural talent or power to fight you, he had to be genteically enhanced to barely be better than you, as you could still break his weapons and armor confronting him. The game did a terrible job at trying to humble the player. Almost rolled my eyes when I found out Zenos' powers were fake.

Omnicent

Welp getting infinite 90002 when trying to login to the game.
Seems most people outside of NA connection to NA data-centers have this issue, but I live in the US. Guess I'll boot up via Battle Ping till there is a solution.

Top Bottom