• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Squishy3

Are the AFs the best armor in the game?
AF is the stuff you get from your level 45 and 50 job quest, level 60 job quest, and level 70 job quest. It's designed as a set to get your item level to the point you need to finish the story (although originally it wasn't a reward from the level 60 job quest at HW launch, but is now) and is meant to be representative of your class since all the armor is unique to each job.

Samurai and Red Mage don't have level 50 or 60 AF gear, and Astrologian, Dark Knight and Machinist have level 60 AF gear but not level 50. Yoshi's also thrown hints that we're getting Relic armor in addition to relic weapons SB (upgradeable weapons and now armor I guess that you follow lengthy quest lines to upgrade) and the Antiquated nature of the level 70 AF sets seems to support this as we have no way to upgrade them so they're dyeable yet.

MogCakes

I have one piece of raid gear so far and I put my first materia VIs on it. Holy shit does it make a difference. My DPS has visibly jumped, it's like night and day.

Astral

I have one piece of raid gear so far and I put my first materia VIs on it. Holy shit does it make a difference. My DPS has visibly jumped, it's like night and day.

Fuck I haven't even bothered with Materia. I don't even remember how it works. I was gonna worry about it once I was level 70.

Oh right, Raids. Gonna be a while till I do any of those.

If you hit 50, unlocking the Crystal Tower is not that far off. It's a three part 24 man raid that starts in Mor Dhona. If the queues aren't bad for you then they aren't a bad thing to do, if only for the tomestones and glamour junk (The gear you get here won't last you long enough to be worth farming for it). The first two raids are basically face rolls at this point, so don't worry about them. If you actually wipe, it's going to be because people are being stupid. The final part has actual mechanics that you can't just brute force, so it's always a fun experience because absolutely nobody remembers what they are.

There's also Coils of Bahamut, which is the ARR 8 man raid series. Have fun getting that set up now, lol.

Spent some time on. Set up all my gear sets. Thought tradecraft leves worked like they did back in 1.X and they gave me materials. Oh my gosh I've forgotten so much hahahaha.

mcw

Still playing almost every night... It's my first time playing through ARR. My Conjurer is now a White Mage, level 34, and I'm doing leves outside Camp Tranquil to get to 35. Last night I beat Titan, and where the story goes after that... man, what a cliffhanger to be stuck at 34 right now.
I guess I wasn't surprised when I walked into the Waking Sands and found everybody dead, but still... After the cutscene, walking around in there was a major bummer.

I've been thinking about why this game is resonating so much with me right now. I'm 37. I've been playing MMOs for years-- Dark Ages, Asheron's Call, Everquest, DAoC, FF11, WoW. I played FF14 when ARR first came out and liked it, but ended up in the same place I usually do with these games: somewhere in the 20s, I just stop playing. At the rate I've been going, I think I'm going to end up making it all the way to 70 this time. Silly as it sounds, this will be my first experience with endgame content in an MMO. So what is it about this game that has pulled me through?

Most of it is just down to the design of the game. It works great with a controller, so I can play it on my couch. Finding parties for dungeons could not be easier. Dungeons themselves aren't a significant time commitment-- I've yet to go through one that took longer than 45 minutes. And outside of dungeons, all of the content that I've seen thus far is soloable.

But there's also another important thing, which I just realized yesterday: The current situation in the US has made the idea of disappearing into another world much more appealing. Silly as it sounds, I think this is a big part of it for me. Eorzea is such a fucking gorgeous place, man. I walked past an oceanside mill in La Noscea yesterday right around sunrise, found a spot on a cliff, and just stood there watching the sun come up.

Fuckin' love this game, man.

dramatis

But there's also another important thing, which I just realized yesterday: The current situation in the US has made the idea of disappearing into another world much more appealing. Silly as it sounds, I think this is a big part of it for me. Eorzea is such a fucking gorgeous place, man. I walked past an oceanside mill in La Noscea yesterday right around sunrise, found a spot on a cliff, and just stood there watching the sun come up.

Fuckin' love this game, man.
There's a tower in Eastern La Noscea, a bit away from Costa Del Sol, that you can get to the top of via stairs inside.

Glad you're enjoying the game.

Astral

I finally beat the base game. The story was pretty meh. There's a whole lot of nothing. It was very basic and I didn't care for most of the villains, especially Lahabrea's cheesy ass. The final speech was hype though and I liked a few of the characters. My boy Alphinaud gets shit done. Where the hell was his sister the entire game? I just remember her pissing off somewhere never to be seen again.

I hear Heavensward's story is actually really good though. I hope people didn't overhype it. Is Stormblood's good too?

Edzi

I finally beat the base game. The story was pretty meh. There's a whole lot of nothing. It was very basic and I didn't care for most of the villains, especially Lahabrea's cheesy ass. The final speech was hype though and I liked a few of the characters. My boy Alphinaud gets shit done. Where the hell was his sister the entire game? I just remember her pissing off somewhere never to be seen again.

I hear Heavensward's story is actually really good though. I hope people didn't overhype it. Is Stormblood's good too?

Did you only beat Ultima or did you actually finish all pre HW story content?

Wait... wait... I just completed my first Savage ever (Omega v1 S) which is great, but... I found out after that even if you don't get any loot, it still counts as "reward received" already??? That makes NO sense whatsoever. I know it's just their way to make content last longer, but that pisses me off. I now don't really even care about doing the others that much except for the challenge.

Wait... wait... I just completed my first Savage ever (Omega v1 S) which is great, but... I found out after that even if you don't get any loot, it still counts as "reward received" already??? That makes NO sense whatsoever. I know it's just their way to make content last longer, but that pisses me off. I now don't really even care about doing the others that much except for the challenge.
The reward you recieved is the weekly book page you can save up and buy specific equipment with.

iammeiam

It's this weird spot of it makes total sense for Savage as challenging end-game raid, but makes it outside the FFXIV norm as basically everything else in XIV has some component of repeated grind for reward. Savage isn't supposed to be a thing you spam for loot so much as something you do for its own sake, and the loot (in theory) exists to help prepare you for the next step in progression. The wheels kind of fell off when Midas revealed prior-tier BiS would always get trumped by new crafted and removed the reason to chase BiS raid drops quite as hard, but it still more or less works. Pages mean you're eventually guaranteed something if you run enough weeks, but the loot lock means you can't go through and farm out the entire tier by the end of week four.

It also sort of supports the static system, because if you're doing this stuff with a set group you're no longer necessarily rooting for your own drop, so much as any drop that benefits the group overall.

dramatis

You're the rare breed that likes Alphinaud lol

It's this weird spot of it makes total sense for Savage as challenging end-game raid, but makes it outside the FFXIV norm as basically everything else in XIV has some component of repeated grind for reward. Savage isn't supposed to be a thing you spam for loot so much as something you do for its own sake, and the loot (in theory) exists to help prepare you for the next step in progression. The wheels kind of fell off when Midas revealed prior-tier BiS would always get trumped by new crafted and removed the reason to chase BiS raid drops quite as hard, but it still more or less works. Pages mean you're eventually guaranteed something if you run enough weeks, but the loot lock means you can't go through and farm out the entire tier by the end of week four.

It also sort of supports the static system, because if you're doing this stuff with a set group you're no longer necessarily rooting for your own drop, so much as any drop that benefits the group overall.

No, you only get one shot at those.

Ohh, I understand now. Thanks everyone! I guess it makes a little more sense. I guess I was just surprised since nothing else in the main game works quite like savage loot.

iammeiam

Is there any reason why people are discussing final phase in O3S in one of my learning parties for 2nd/3rd tile change? -___- Jesus, I'm about to quit.

Third tile change would be books? I'm not sure how PF views it, but I tend to view final phase as everything starting from the post-book floor change, so it's not totally crazy. I could also see it being relevant when talking about LB usage, since the first LB usage is usually library phase and people who don't know the flow of final phase might be worried about caster LB not being up in time.

If you're wiping to tethers or dragon it's super premature, but if you're getting to books and somebody wants to LB the notPanda I could see how final phase plays out becoming worth talking about? Everything before the animal farm is just to train you for the longer last phase.

iammeiam

AF2 made job gear relevant from 3.0 to 3.2 and it was super annoying. As soon as you spent eso, switching jobs within your role required going backwards gear-wise.

The only relevant gear for anything more than a couple weeks is the capped tome stuff, and capped tome gear being job-specific instead of role-specific is undesirable.

If they follow through on Eureka augmenting AF3, it'd be an ok way to breathe life into the AF gear, keep it sort of usable long term, but also not put time gates on people gearing up multiple jobs that share a role.

Man, it's sad that every tier of AF gear becomes useless almost instantly.

You'd think they want the iconic looks to be rocked for at least a solid month

HW had AF being good since it was the capped tome gear. I think people complained back then cause it took forever to get your AF and you couldn't get it on every classes, so the result is the current system which is similar to 2.0 where you just get it during your class quest. It's obsolete basically right after, but you can still use it for glamour on every class you hit 70 with, as opposed as having to wait several patches for the tomes to become the new uncapped tomes to get them on alts(at which point it's also obsolete anyway).

The relevant class specific cool gear is the weapons, relic/anima/whatever they said the next one was. Takes a while to farm, keeps being upgraded with patches so stays relevant and usually eventually becomes BiS, or at least comparable to the best weapons in the games from 8man savage raids at the time.

Squishy3

floating weapons were already bad enough but now we have floating pauldrons

unknown.png

also yoshida's basically confirmed relic armor which is probably going to end up being what makes the AF3 not antiquated anymore

unless super savage fight reward is making the AF3 dyeable, pls look forward to it

I hate leatherworker levequests. For GSM I get a million exp for 1 durium ingot. For leatherworker, I gotta do CUL tier crafts for that amount. Or do two tiger leathers for a million.

scy

Typically the suggestion is to do the triple turn-in leves anyway? Unless you're not trying to do a bunch of crafters, I guess. So in this case just spam Tiger Leather to 70 and Koppranickel Ingots to 70 after a point. Easy to macro out a bunch of HQ things and they don't take that much in mats.

I hate leatherworker levequests. For GSM I get a million exp for 1 durium ingot. For leatherworker, I gotta do CUL tier crafts for that amount. Or do two tiger leathers for a million.

But you can turn 3 tiger leather for 1.5m per leve, while durium ingot is 1m per leve. If you're not lvling everything it's not that much of a concern but the triple turn ins are extremely efficient for leveling since they give a lot more xp per leve. I personally did almost entirely triple leves, other than a few single here and there, so I had enough leves to get all crafts to 70.

Otherwise, just make Gagana Leather? 1 leather per turn in, gives 900k xp. It's not as much as durium but not too far, and it's the lowest leather so it's easy to HQ and relatively cheap.

But you can turn 3 tiger leather for 1.5m per leve, while durium ingot is 1m per leve. If you're not lvling everything it's not that much of a concern but the triple turn ins are extremely efficient for leveling since they give a lot more xp per leve. I personally did almost entirely triple leves, other than a few single here and there, so I had enough leves to get all crafts to 70.

Otherwise, just make Gagana Leather? 1 leather per turn in, gives 900k xp. It's not as much as durium but not too far, and it's the lowest leather so it's easy to HQ and relatively cheap.

Oh right, I forgot about the triple turn ins. All my crafters are 70 except LTW, ARM and CUL. So I don't really need to be stingy on leves either though. Might do gagana leather.

AF2 made job gear relevant from 3.0 to 3.2 and it was super annoying. As soon as you spent eso, switching jobs within your role required going backwards gear-wise.

The only relevant gear for anything more than a couple weeks is the capped tome stuff, and capped tome gear being job-specific instead of role-specific is undesirable.

If they follow through on Eureka augmenting AF3, it'd be an ok way to breathe life into the AF gear, keep it sort of usable long term, but also not put time gates on people gearing up multiple jobs that share a role.

HW had AF being good since it was the capped tome gear. I think people complained back then cause it took forever to get your AF and you couldn't get it on every classes, so the result is the current system which is similar to 2.0 where you just get it during your class quest. It's obsolete basically right after, but you can still use it for glamour on every class you hit 70 with, as opposed as having to wait several patches for the tomes to become the new uncapped tomes to get them on alts(at which point it's also obsolete anyway).

The relevant class specific cool gear is the weapons, relic/anima/whatever they said the next one was. Takes a while to farm, keeps being upgraded with patches so stays relevant and usually eventually becomes BiS, or at least comparable to the best weapons in the games from 8man savage raids at the time.

Yeah, that's true.

Been having some XI nostalgia and kind of miss the skill boosts AF had

This game's music continues to blow me away. Just got done with the second Stormblood primal fight...wow.

Tonight,
Step from the dark to the light
Tonight,

Rise High,
High above our rivals,
Spread our wings,
Spread them high,
Let them fly.

Keep high,
Free to ever slumber,
Open the door,
Close our eyes,
We are the dreamers.

Gets annoying after awhile though.

Jeeves

I'm new to the game and come asking for some advice re: gear progression.

I'm a level 52 red mage, currently wearing the standard issue RDM clothes/weapon, and an assortment of item lvl 115 "of casting" accessories I bought. I'm hoping I can get away with using those accessories until I'm level 70. For the rest of the gear, I figure I'll probably have to look into getting something else at 60, and not worry about it again until I'm at the level cap.

Tell me if I'm cutting too many corners, but assuming that this is a reasonable plan, the big question for now would be: what gear do I need to try to get at 60? The stuff they sell in Mor Dhona in exchange for those poetic tomestone things? Or do I need to start farming a specific instance for drops?

On another note, really enjoying the game so far! Except that I'm working through the staggering amount of post-ARR content on my way to HW. I got a little ways into the Hildebrand questline, though, and that's been a delight. Maybe I'll ration out the rest of his quests to break up the story grind here and there.

aceface

I'm new to the game and come asking for some advice re: gear progression.

I'm a level 52 red mage, currently wearing the standard issue RDM clothes/weapon, and an assortment of item lvl 115 "of casting" accessories I bought. I'm hoping I can get away with using those accessories until I'm level 70. For the rest of the gear, I figure I'll probably have to look into getting something else at 60, and not worry about it again until I'm at the level cap.

Tell me if I'm cutting too many corners, but assuming that this is a reasonable plan, the big question for now would be: what gear do I need to try to get at 60? The stuff they sell in Mor Dhona in exchange for those poetic tomestone things? Or do I need to start farming a specific instance for drops?

On another note, really enjoying the game so far! Except that I'm working through the staggering amount of post-ARR content on my way to HW. I got a little ways into the Hildebrand questline, though, and that's been a delight. Maybe I'll ration out the rest of his quests to break up the story grind here and there.

The Main Story Quests throw gear at you, so just pick up that and use it and you will be fine. Between that and drops you'll get from story dungeons, there's no need to get gear from anywhere else until you hit 70.

Squishy3

If you aren't planning on leveling any other classes, you'll be able to buy level 60 gear with poetics when you get to the endgame hub in Heavensward, and the upgraded stuff lasts until you hit the level 65 areas in Stormblood. Item level jump between ARR and HW is huge, there's a 140 item level difference between the best at the end of ARR and the best at the end of HW.

But yeah, as ace said, the game also tosses gear at you through quests.

Jeeves

No level jumps...I've only been playing for 2-3 weeks. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I guess I'll just take it easy and collect poetics here and there, because I don't see myself making a serious effort on another job before my RDM hits 70.

Omni

I can't wait until v4s prog is over so we can go back to floors 1-3 and start to clean things up. My dps logs are awful right now on AST and WHM

FEELS BAD

Top Bottom