• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So I just got to 52 on my MCH and I'm not understanding this Heat gauge mechanic... then I realized they haven't given me anyway to lower my heat yet lol. So I'm basically just forced to ignore it for a while and have to overheat I guess.

Still I'm not really understanding the mechanic as a whole. I'm wondering when do I actually want to overheat as opposed to staying in between 50-95... does anyone else actually play a MCH. Guess I can worry about this stuff later when I get some more levels and progress through HW but feel like I should know some basics to my class even if the game doesn't really explain it

So I just got to 52 on my MCH and I'm not understanding this Heat gauge mechanic... then I realized they haven't given me anyway to lower my heat yet lol. So I'm basically just forced to ignore it for a while and have to overheat I guess.

Still I'm not really understanding the mechanic as a whole. I'm wondering when do I actually want to overheat as opposed to staying in between 50-95... does anyone else actually play a MCH. Guess I can worry about this stuff later when I get some more levels and progress through HW but feel like I should know some basics to my class even if the game doesn't really explain it

You almost never want to overheat unless it's right before a period where you won't be attecking for at least 10 sec. The extra damage from overheat is actually a DPS loss due to 10 seconds of no gauss Barrel

Euphony

Banned
Thanks to a very generous friend, I was gifted a copy of the base game. I already had a Bard at level 30 from my time in the trial but I decided to reroll on another server as a Archanist. I recently turned 30 again and decided to become a Scholar because I love the idea of having a pet fairy.

I have dabbled in healing in other MMOs but I mainly stuck with DPS and tanking, so I was wondering if anyone had some tips for beginner Scholar that I could carry toward the endgame. My main concern is definitely mana management and how Aetherflow fits in with that. I only have like 2 spells that use Aetherflow but looking ahead that's going to change fairly quickly.

Also, which pet should I have out for leveling and dungeons? I've used both for questing but I tend to stick with Eos for the better healing. I haven't healed in a dungeon yet but I have read Selene is better for her utility.

iammeiam

This is the go-to MCH guide of the moment, from what I know. Overheat is kind of not great at the moment:
Q: when should i overheat?
there are 3 situations where you should overheat.
you have barrel stabilizer up, and you’re about to wildfire and focus single target.
you expect the encounter to end soon after you finish overheating; no longer than 15s.
you’re AoEing and intend to AoE for a long time; long enough that you can build heat back up with hot shot refreshes and spread shot AoEs/flamethrower.
otherwise, absolutely do not overheat, as it is a DPS loss done poorly. treat it like monk’s tornado kick; don’t touch this mechanic until you know what you’re doing. it’s a very minor gain that can easily turn into a huge loss if you mess it up.

Basically in that first scenario it's a DPS gain but super minor ('one auto attack's worth of gain' is what I've seen tossed around), so for the most part just don't worry about it until they buff it.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So now that I slept on it for all of 3 hours here's some thoughts about this raid tier.

The obvious one - it's extremely easy for players who have played this game for any significant amount of time. Yes, that includes O4S. O1S is a dungeon boss. O2S is an extreme primal. O3S is basically maybe sorta kinda Kaliya tier. O4S is bigger than A12S, but certainly isn't harder. That's not to say that Halicarnassus and XDth weren't fun fights - they certainly were pretty cool and fun to prog, Mr. SCOB does it again, but realistically the only punishment in them for messing up was enrage. Personal responsibility shifted WAY down - and while you have things like double Fire IIIs and Allagan Field wiping the party when done wrong, most of the fight... Not that punishing and most of the time, recoverable. It's also all ridiculously healer-bound, DPS basically get almost nothing to do in any of those fights. I liked aggro resets though and that be-2nd-on-aggro is a thing again. One step towards tanks not being DPS-lite.

Honestly it's not that I want these fights to be more demanding, I want them to be more original and I know it's hard to come up with new stuff for this style of gameplay but they limited themselves to very... uh, classical elements. Number of fairly relaxed groups rolling over Exdeath week 1 and 2 is a testament to that.

Effectively, Exdeath was two fights packed into one. If fresh mechanics isn't something that's gonna happen I'd like the number of battles to go up by one or two in the following raids. Would probably also help with loot distribution, having gone extremely lucky on week 1 I don't even really need O2S and O3S anymore...

Omni

Trying to get Grand Cross Omega sorted in v4s. Seems to be the last hurdle before a clear. Our dps is great, so I'm not expecting to have trouble in that regard. Just need everyone to survive through it

Neo moves kinda fast and it becomes a mess. Something to just get used too, I suppose hmmmm

iammeiam

Omega is an execution check, but is also kind of a backdoor healing check because of the Allagan Fields. It's possible to raw heal through everything, but shiledspam trivializes a lot of it. We also ended up doing suicides on the third mechanic, while I think a lot of the guides recommend the first, which makes the post-Omega healing a little tighter but allows healing actually during the back-to-back charges to be kind of minimal and shield-focused. Shielding the damage there is a huge improvement over healing it, basically, because of the extended AFs.

The only other pain point in the fight I remember is when Almagest happens twice one minute apart shortly after Omega. It's the only time it really breaks pattern and I get worried enough to tag in WHM help because nothing is back up from the last one. I think I could work around that with better Swift and ES maintenance, but tagging in the WHM to assist seemed safer. O4S ended up being the most involved healing fight for me, but weirdly just meant I had to treat the fight more like a DPS and actually manage healing CDs to match the fight.

Beyond that it's mostly the same function as Exdeath; execution, execution, execution. A death on normal or Neo is recoverable now, but too many and it's kind of rough. 3 deaths was 1% enrage territory for us, 1 DPS death was workable. Weapons will ease up things a lot, though.

I wish the capital cities in this game were like Calpheon in BDO.

It's huge as fuck with a ton of NPCs all over the place that really makes it feel like a living city.

I have a lot of pet peeves towards what games like to call "cities" so I'm glad I played enough to get to this area.

This is something they can improve on for the next FF MMO since they sure as hell are not going to do anything like that here.

I mean when 5 random grunts are an army you know any chance for larger scale is not in the cards.

edgefusion

Someone told me that male Hyurs are the most picked race. Is that really true? Every time I queue for solo DF I can predict I'll be matched with a trio of catgirls. There are SO. MANY. CATGIRLS. And they all dress ratchet too.

PepperedHam

Did Susano EX for the first time with a friend tonight, went well got him on the second try and man that was a lot of fun. My friend and I really enjoyed that fight.

Anyone from GAF play on Gilgamesh?

Zomba13

I brought this up a while back, but I'm surprised Lala's aren't more popular (they are evil and should be purged though). Taru were the most popular race in FFXI.

mWiw4bI.png

Because Tarutaru were cute and wholesome and pure while Lalafell are like the weird monkeys paw wish for HD TaruTaru. You get your small race, except they look like weird demon children instead of cute stuffed toys you'd keep on your bed.

dramatis

Thanks to a very generous friend, I was gifted a copy of the base game. I already had a Bard at level 30 from my time in the trial but I decided to reroll on another server as a Archanist. I recently turned 30 again and decided to become a Scholar because I love the idea of having a pet fairy.

I have dabbled in healing in other MMOs but I mainly stuck with DPS and tanking, so I was wondering if anyone had some tips for beginner Scholar that I could carry toward the endgame. My main concern is definitely mana management and how Aetherflow fits in with that. I only have like 2 spells that use Aetherflow but looking ahead that's going to change fairly quickly.

Also, which pet should I have out for leveling and dungeons? I've used both for questing but I tend to stick with Eos for the better healing. I haven't healed in a dungeon yet but I have read Selene is better for her utility.
For pre-50 SCH, there's limited use for Aetherflow. If you're having MP problems, Energy Drain is now more helpful for recovering a bit of MP. For the 40+ dungeons, you get an ability that I forgot the name of in which you place a bubble shield on the ground that also uses Aetherflow. It's good for stressful tanks.

For leveling and dungeons, Eos is a much better choice, because she comes with three different healing cooldowns (by level 50), which is good for helping you control any situation that gets out of hand (tanks that like to pull mass amounts).

The Lucid Dreaming role ability is now mandatory for SCH, it will help you regain a chunk of MP. Largesse will help if you are low on MP and cannot expend too much on Adlo (the green single target shield spell).

Selene is for 8-man instances where the other healer is a scholar, or if you're familiar with the fight and you feel confident the other healer will probably be able to do most of the healing. Her two main abilities are her skill/spell speed buff, which casts on everyone within range and has a relatively low cooldown, and the party-wide Esuna which has a pretty long cooldown. In short, in a dungeon situation the speed buff isn't so useful since it applies only to 4 instead of 8 people, so even in high level dungeons the preference is Eos.

SCH got tougher post-Stormblood changes. If a tank is getting low, cast an Adlo then Physick him up to speed, the Adlo should buy you some casting time.

i thought i'd log in this morning to play some XIV. queued for guildhest roulette. i was standing there.....alone, while some invisible ninjas were killing everyhing in sight. gg. can you find free trial accounts 24/7 to pollute this game or how does this work?

queued for lvl roulette to find cluster bonus for dps. i switched to dps for a bit.

Because Tarutaru were cute and wholesome and pure while Lalafell are like the weird monkeys paw wish for HD TaruTaru. You get your small race, except they look like weird demon children instead of cute stuffed toys you'd keep on your bed.

I'm the exact opposite. Every time I see Tarutaru in action, I shudder. They look.. wrong. Their proprotions make them look like demon toy murdererers.

Lala just look like chibi people. Chibi people are everywhere in media, if you spent at least a nanosecond checking out anything japanese.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Other than the fisher people Lalas also don't speak in a way that makes you want to murder every single one of them.

I mean, they're awful in other ways but they don't go 'foundy-wounded'.

Village

I'm fine with both babby babbo races, They are cute enough. I prefer edgier looking stuff, but its fine.

What makes me shudder is the implications those races have on their respective larger worlds.

komaruR

I'm poor.
Just buy the nq. Compare the mb price with npc price in kugane. Im sure ppl with failed hq syn with put the nq up for cheap. Then just meld V or VI materia on it for now. Its more suffice than the yellow scrip, since the turn in rate is so low with the gear costing so high in yellow scrip

Never thought I'd love Ninja this much. Avoided it pre SB due to all the button bloat, but it's not as complex as I originally made it out to be. Still miss blood for blood, feels like I hit as hard as MNK, if not harder on some spots.

Also, Dream within a Dream sounds redundant for a WS, shoulda called it "inception".

Going to be conflicted as hell on what to main, I want to do savage raids and my static is kinda wishy washy, perhaps I could be a NIN for hire since most groups have the hard hitting DPS slots filled. Many groups are looking for NIN or BRD, and I think I can fit the bill. Means MNK/SAM will get neglected but honestly it's a small price to pay.

Does NIN AoE rotation get better at 70? All I can do is that one weak OGC move, Katon and Doton (as long as the tank doesn't move AWAY from it >_>.

Omni

Never thought I'd love Ninja this much. Avoided it pre SB due to all the button bloat, but it's not as complex as I originally made it out to be. Still miss blood for blood, feels like I hit as hard as MNK, if not harder on some spots.

Also, Dream within a Dream sounds redundant for a WS, shoulda called it "inception".

Going to be conflicted as hell on what to main, I want to do savage raids and my static is kinda wishy washy, perhaps I could be a NIN for hire since most groups have the hard hitting DPS slots filled. Many groups are looking for NIN or BRD, and I think I can fit the bill. Means MNK/SAM will get neglected but honestly it's a small price to pay.

Does NIN AoE rotation get better at 70? All I can do is that one weak OGC move, Katon and Doton (as long as the tank doesn't move AWAY from it >_>.
I don't think it can be understated just how great Ninja feels when you're not worrying about slashing being on a combo on itself and having to manage that extra DoT. The timing was incredibly tight in 3.0 unless you wanted to clip. The changes with SB are amazing

That said... Ninja AoE isn't the best. Hellfrog Medium is pretty badass though. And remember that your Ninjutsu resets when you use hide - you can even lay out a Doton, hide before the first tick hits the enemy and use Katon instantly. Plus you have Kassatsu for dem crits. IMO it's very solid

scy

If my WHM BIS calculations are correct, I'll basically need almost every piece from Savage

Kill me

I'm basically just gearing to minimize Piety which leaves it as 4 tome pieces (5 if going for SSPD build with Tome chest over Genji crit). Though, for what it's worth, that also means 2x Tome rings and pentameld Earring / Wrist too. 2.3s GCD in that set though, which ironically may mean ~18k MP isn't enough to sustain it but we'll see.

I'm basically just gearing to minimize Piety which leaves it as 4 tome pieces (5 if going for SSPD build with Tome chest over Genji crit). Though, for what it's worth, that also means 2x Tome rings and pentameld Earring / Wrist too. 2.3s GCD in that set though, which ironically may mean ~18k MP isn't enough to sustain it but we'll see.
This is what I came up with but granted I was just mostly looking at raw damage while keeping piety in a comfortable level. It sounds like I might have too much piety though so I should probably swap the choker for the Creation one instead and go down a couple GCD tiers.

Either way I'm still fucked. Drop rates hate me.

ch4fx_

I saw a White Mage decked out in this last night & FELL. IN. LOVE.

I understand I'm a ways away from end game gear, but is this particular robe/set crazy hard to obtain? I see the ingredients listed in the link, but I'm clueless as to how rare (if at all) said ingredients are.

Info on each classes Job Gauge is available via the Actions sheet (P on kbm; menu >Character>Actions on controller).

Thank you for this. Does the Conjuror or White Mage have a job gauge as well? Only asking because I've never saw/noticed one, so if there is one for them, I've turned it off by mistake.

I saw a White Mage decked out in this last night & FELL. IN. LOVE.

I understand I'm a ways away from end game gear, but is this particular robe/set crazy hard to obtain? I see the ingredients listed in the link, but I'm clueless as to how rare (if at all) said ingredients are.
You buy that from NPC vendors in Stormblood. It's common leveling gear.

MogCakes

Apparently those DRG changes brought the job up a fair bit closer to MNK amd NIN than I thought. When both dhit and crit land on a combo finisher, it's like winning the lotto.

Apparently those DRG changes brought the job up a fair bit closer to MNK amd NIN than I thought. When both dhit and crit land on a combo finisher, it's like winning the lotto.
I've been told that the DRG+BRD combo is pretty crazy. DRG should scale extremely well into the expansion as Crit goes up and Litany goes bonkers with it.
Thank you for this. Does the Conjuror or White Mage have a job gauge as well? Only asking because I've never saw/noticed one, so if there is one for them, I've turned it off by mistake.
WHM gets one but its completely pointless.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I had a really nice party to do the lvl 69 dungeon with. They were a preformed party from the Malboro server. They setup a world pf for me to join them for the next couple of runs. Man the other dps have been bad my last couple of dungeon runs before that.

Euphony

Banned
For pre-50 SCH, there's limited use for Aetherflow. If you're having MP problems, Energy Drain is now more helpful for recovering a bit of MP. For the 40+ dungeons, you get an ability that I forgot the name of in which you place a bubble shield on the ground that also uses Aetherflow. It's good for stressful tanks.

For leveling and dungeons, Eos is a much better choice, because she comes with three different healing cooldowns (by level 50), which is good for helping you control any situation that gets out of hand (tanks that like to pull mass amounts).

The Lucid Dreaming role ability is now mandatory for SCH, it will help you regain a chunk of MP. Largesse will help if you are low on MP and cannot expend too much on Adlo (the green single target shield spell).

Selene is for 8-man instances where the other healer is a scholar, or if you're familiar with the fight and you feel confident the other healer will probably be able to do most of the healing. Her two main abilities are her skill/spell speed buff, which casts on everyone within range and has a relatively low cooldown, and the party-wide Esuna which has a pretty long cooldown. In short, in a dungeon situation the speed buff isn't so useful since it applies only to 4 instead of 8 people, so even in high level dungeons the preference is Eos.

SCH got tougher post-Stormblood changes. If a tank is getting low, cast an Adlo then Physick him up to speed, the Adlo should buy you some casting time.

Thanks so much for the tips! One last thing that I thought of is how I should be managing the fairies. Should I be letting them do their own thing or do I need to occasionally give them an obey command to use a skill?

scy

Thanks so much for the tips! One last thing that I thought of is how I should be managing the fairies. Should I be letting them do their own thing or do I need to occasionally give them an obey command to use a skill?

Generally speaking, you want to get into the habit as early as possible to never let them do their own thing on Sic. Eos does some really stupid things with her cooldowns when left to her discretion; Selene is a little bit better on Sic since she doesn't have anything specifically timing based to mess with so you can usually get away with it without concerning yourself too much. And just to clarify, when set to Obey they both still auto-target and auto-cast their heals the same as if on Sic, it's really just their cooldowns that they use on their own when not on Obey.

As for micro-managing their heals, you can set up a hotkey to manually force the fairy to heal targets but that's also above-and-beyond your day to day use on SCH.

Watcher

Ive completed the lvl 50 msq and am wondering if i bother with all the post game dungeons or just power thru the post ARR story quests to get into heavensward?

komaruR

Tfw winning a early model tomestone in o2s but just spent creation on getting the pants. ;-;
Which in turn, i still have to wait 3 week later....

Robin64

I know RNG is RNG, but I sometimes do wonder if the math for gathering % chance is faulty somewhere. 95%? Yeah you're gonna miss that three out of four times this go.

Yeah, I know, bad luck, but it stings when it seems to happen so often.

Euphony

Banned
Generally speaking, you want to get into the habit as early as possible to never let them do their own thing on Sic. Eos does some really stupid things with her cooldowns when left to her discretion; Selene is a little bit better on Sic since she doesn't have anything specifically timing based to mess with so you can usually get away with it without concerning yourself too much. And just to clarify, when set to Obey they both still auto-target and auto-cast their heals the same as if on Sic, it's really just their cooldowns that they use on their own when not on Obey.

As for micro-managing their heals, you can set up a hotkey to manually force the fairy to heal targets but that's also above-and-beyond your day to day use on SCH.

So what you're saying is if I set the fairies to obey instead of sic, they still automatically target other party members but it's up to me what skill they use? That seems much easier than I thought it would be. Thanks for the help!

Sad and certainty disgusting that this is the first place where most people's thoughts go regarding Lalafell. The "creep" here lies with you, not them.

Your perceptions of Lalafell's don't match reality.

You're right, I'm the one sexualizing characters that look like children. It's not projecting, people do this.

Top Bottom