• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

iammeiam

Fucking hell at that Black Hole stuff.

The most troll aspect of the hole thing is the goddamned HP - debuff falling off halfway through the White Hole cast. We went through a few iterations of positioning and pathing (i have my fingerpaint drawings somewhere) but once you get it worked out you feel like a badass taking deadly tight turns around stationary holes and I kind of like the sequence now? There's enough RNG to it that it feels like on-the-fly decisionmaking and it's rewarding to get consistently down.

but seriously fuck that hp- I always forget it's going to do that.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Finally got full Ironworks healing set besides the accessories. Are those even worth it? The stat increase isn't very high. I feel like I'll get better accessories from MSQs soon. Also, the optics look dumb as hell.

If you upgrade to the augmented Ironworks set (upgraded by buying Carbontwine and Carbon coat and trading gear and upgrade item to a NPC in North Shroud) you will have gear that will cover you for the entirety of the post ARR/Pre HW story, and for a good chunk of the HW MSQ (will be good gear until you hit 55 or so).

Astral

If you upgrade to the augmented Ironworks set (upgraded by buying Carbontwine and Carbon coat and trading gear and upgrade item to a NPC in North Shroud) you will have gear that will cover you for the entirety of the post ARR/Pre HW story, and for a good chunk of the HW MSQ (will be good gear until you hit 55 or so).

I upgraded the robes to augmented. Don't you just need carbontwine? That's what I used.

Luminaire

The most troll aspect of the hole thing is the goddamned HP - debuff falling off halfway through the White Hole cast. We went through a few iterations of positioning and pathing (i have my fingerpaint drawings somewhere) but once you get it worked out you feel like a badass taking deadly tight turns around stationary holes and I kind of like the sequence now? There's enough RNG to it that it feels like on-the-fly decisionmaking and it's rewarding to get consistently down.

but seriously fuck that hp- I always forget it's going to do that.

Yeah we're figuring it out slowly. No guides, all blind, etc. Lotta stuff like "HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO DEAL WIT--ohhhhh..." after a wipe or two. It's been fun. Black Hole is the current study session. Time to review some some of our streams.

I upgraded the robes to augmented. Don't you just need carbontwine? That's what I used.

Carbontwine upgrades the armor and carboncoat does the accessories. If you do all the accessories, you can only have 1 upgraded ring (130 ring) equipped. The other you will need to leave at 120 or find a better one. I wouldn't worry too much about getting all this gear as the HW main scenario will give you gear. I usually get the upgraded poetic stuff for my alt classes. Usually lasts me all the way until 60, with an occasional upgrade via dungeons starting at The Avery (lv55).

remz

Carbontwine upgrades the armor and carboncoat does the accessories. If you do all the accessories, you can only have 1 upgraded ring (130 ring) equipped. The other you will need to leave at 120 or find a better one. I wouldn't worry too much about getting all this gear as the HW main scenario will give you gear. I usually get the upgraded poetic stuff for my alt classes. Usually lasts me all the way until 60, with an occasional upgrade via dungeons starting at The Avery (lv55).

I really wish I knew this earlier lmao. I found this out yesterday after already reaching the Aery. It is true though, as a new player now in HW, I feel like most of the ARR gear is kinda not worth the trouble, but Ironworks has been nice for having SAM/RDM relatively geared up.

It happened when I went from a Hellsguard to a Sea Wolf Roe, then to a Wildwood Elezen and then again to a Duskwight which I've been for the longest time.
Female Elezen are the only characters in this game with a half-decent arse (or the closest available in game), Highlanders have the hips but they're completely flat in the back and yes this is a thing I paid attention to. Plus I'll miss being so tall. It's a dilemma.

You made the correct choice :3. I started as a really bland Hyur.... which my friends told me was actually nice but after a year it hit me that I had so many damn clones of myself. I made the switch to Duskwight Elezen a year later and I dont think I will ever change unless we get half breeds someday to look like the original concepts/Hilda

That's correct about the arse thing. I've noticed that too... haha oh and obviously the best legs too but that's super obvious.

Thorgal

Asked my Ast buddy to keep Arrow up at all times on my SAM.

With the increased speed I now properly felt like an Anime character.

Astral

You mean you get them for your alts once you reach 50 win them or can you equip them even at level 1 or something?

Eldren

You made the correct choice :3. I started as a really bland Hyur.... which my friends told me was actually nice but after a year it hit me that I had so many damn clones of myself. I made the switch to Duskwight Elezen a year later and I dont think I will ever change unless we get half breeds someday to look like the original concepts/Hilda

That's correct about the arse thing. I've noticed that too... haha oh and obviously the best legs too but that's super obvious.

I would never play as a regular Hyur, that's too vanilla. I love my Duskwight but I've been getting frustrated because I really like the blue-ish skin tone I have but I also really like dying my gear ink blue and it's all starting to look a bit messy. If they do ever add Viera to the game and they're super tall
and not oversexualised
I think I'd probably switch. I'm still sad about the original female Au Ra concept, that would have been so good.

You mean you get them for your alts once you reach 50 win them or can you equip them even at level 1 or something?

The poetic gear is level 50. I always get a set and upgrade it to item level 130 for my alt classes once they hit 50. Once you get deeper into the game and start running more content, you will get way more poetics than you'll know what to do with so it's easy to gear out a fresh 50. That gear will last quite a bit. I have even had it equipped all the way to 60. Since this is your first time through, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The HW story will give you HQ gear and that will be plenty. I would save your poetics and use them to get item level 260 gear once you hit level 60.

Have to be 50. If you do potd you don't need it, it's nice if you do HW dungeons though for leveling, and other random activities other than potd/pvp. I mostly use my poetics on the 60 gear instead, replace all of it at 63 other than the weapon(which I upgrade) but that's ok.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Yay O2S finally down. Some guy still didn't show up to the static but thankfully the PF replacement was pretty good, and nice to boot.

Good progress in O3S so far. Got to books in the time we had left that night.

Playing triple triad.

Why can I usey best cards in the same deck?

The comp can have more then one 2 star card, but my decks limited to just one?

What gives?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Playing triple triad.

Why can I usey best cards in the same deck?

The comp can have more then one 2 star card, but my decks limited to just one?

What gives?

You have to hit a few achievements (based on the number of cards you have collected) in order to have multiple 2 and 3 star cards in your deck. I think the number is 30 cards and 60 cards.

Toth

Yay O2S finally down. Some guy still didn't show up to the static but thankfully the PF replacement was pretty good, and nice to boot.

Good progress in O3S so far. Got to books in the time we had left that night.

Maybe it was me! I joined an awesome static missing a player yesterday and we cleared one and two with ease. O3 is insane!

Both of them are terrible. Verity is ok, even though all of them are kinda the same. Not a whole lot of great armor currently, other than the AF for some classes, and a lot of recolors and what not. Also how come we can't dye AF yet. Shouldn't there be like a centurio upgrade to 310 or whatever that makes it dyeable by now, or are they gonna do that next patch once you can get more pity 330 from 25man so it's completely outdated.

Toth

Both of them are terrible. Verity is ok, even though all of them are kinda the same. Not a whole lot of great armor currently, other than the AF for some classes, and a lot of recolors and what not. Also how come we can't dye AF yet. Shouldn't there be like a centurio upgrade to 310 or whatever that makes it dyeable by now, or are they gonna do that next patch once you can get more pity 330 from 25man so it's completely outdated.

I'm hoping Forbidden land of Eureka will drop items to allow us to upgrade them, hopefully at least twice as ilevel increAses.

Caj814

I have more issue with the...I forget whats it called but the gear you have to trade the red tomestones in for

It looks kinda wack

Both of them are terrible.

If the next 2 tome sets are gonna follow the same trend, then I hope you're both looking forward to sets for every job based off these. . .
wi9Dspl.jpg

VATTVpF.jpg

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Maybe it was me! I joined an awesome static missing a player yesterday and we cleared one and two with ease. O3 is insane!
Maybe! It was a samurai. O1 and O2 were both pretty messy clears, with multiple deaths each. The O2 clear involved recovering from a near-wipe with healer LB3. Almost everyone died at least once in there.

It sounded like the guy had seen O3S before, too.

After leveling fisher over the past week or so I feel like I need to apologise for all the times I made fun of the job. Turns out it's by far the most enjoyable gathering class to play, even during the leveling process.

Toth

Maybe! It was a samurai. O1 and O2 were both pretty messy clears, with multiple deaths each. The O2 clear involved recovering from a near-wipe with healer LB3. Almost everyone died at least once in there.

It sounded like the guy had seen O3S before, too.

Ah nope I was BLM.

After leveling fisher over the past week or so I feel like I need to apologise for all the times I made fun of the job. Turns out it's by far the most enjoyable gathering class to play, even during the leveling process.

It has a lot more stuff going on and is pretty fun in terms of collecting everything and what not, just wish it wasn't such a disaster with your inventory with the 10types of fishes per area and the 60 baits and all that. Also it gets a lot better in HW imo when they add actual skills, especially now that they fixed Patience not wearing off mid cast. Fish Eyes is still pretty dumb though but eh.

It's a shame it's terrible for scrips though currently. The new spearfishing stuff could probably use some QoL, like reducing the amount of fishes needed to spawn the special node, it's pretty fast when there's only 2 fish types like when you're farming sharks for leveling, but the higher nodes it's like a 30-40% chance to fish the right one even after you Veteran Trade the common fishes out, so it takes like 10-15mins to spawn a node and then you're not even guaranteed the right stuff/enough collectability on the special nodes.

studyguy

We're super close on O3 now. We should clear when we run again on Monday.
The random effect waltz is hilarious, the monster transformations is also great.
P I G B O I S WE OUT
KAPPA PRIDE
frog shitters btfo

Astral

These imposter Sylph quests have been a fucking blast. Such a nice change of pace.

"Enough. If this is not the real Thancred, then I believe we have found a suitable replacement."

It has a lot more stuff going on and is pretty fun in terms of collecting everything and what not, just wish it wasn't such a disaster with your inventory with the 10types of fishes per area and the 60 baits and all that. Also it gets a lot better in HW imo when they add actual skills, especially now that they fixed Patience not wearing off mid cast. Fish Eyes is still pretty dumb though but eh.

It's a shame it's terrible for scrips though currently. The new spearfishing stuff could probably use some QoL, like reducing the amount of fishes needed to spawn the special node, it's pretty fast when there's only 2 fish types like when you're farming sharks for leveling, but the higher nodes it's like a 30-40% chance to fish the right one even after you Veteran Trade the common fishes out, so it takes like 10-15mins to spawn a node and then you're not even guaranteed the right stuff/enough collectability on the special nodes.
Yeah the inventory management that comes with it is probably my biggest issue right now. Happy to hear that it gets better at 50+ as well considering I'm already enjoying it a fair amount before that point, I did think it was a little odd how it doesn't really have any skills in the 1-50 stretch.

Was watching some old XIV 1.0 videos of people running around in the cities and I had completely forgotten they didn't fragment the cities into two separate areas. Now with PS3 support gone as of Stormblood's release, do you think somewhere down the line they'll revert the cities or even change some zones back to bigger areas?

Is there anything like "wrong" with pvp gear? I never see this mentioned in gear guides. Doesnt take long to get some high ilevel gear at 60, way way before the end of arr and even shire gear. Lack of melding or is that not right?

Village

A more accurate picture would be, your protagonist and alisie making a sandwich, and the lyse takes the plate and goes "look at this sandwich i made"

The thing she does... after the last fight in the story, you and opponent are having a moment and she literally comes the fuck out of nowhere to ruin it

Is there anything like "wrong" with pvp gear? I never see this mentioned in gear guides. Doesnt take long to get some high ilevel gear at 60, way way before the end of arr and even shire gear. Lack of melding or is that not right?
PVP gear is basically only worth for glamour purposes

Leunam

It's nothing special since gear means nothing in PvP either. It's why lately I've been going in with a fat Chocobo head and dyed yellow Scion gear.

That's me on the left. This was half of our PvP group on Saturday.

studyguy

Was watching some old XIV 1.0 videos of people running around in the cities and I had completely forgotten they didn't fragment the cities into two separate areas. Now with PS3 support gone as of Stormblood's release, do you think somewhere down the line they'll revert the cities or even change some zones back to bigger areas?

PS4 limitations

On the real though, I don't think that'll ever happen again. At launch they actually rendered the ocean under the land 24/7 with AA causing certain GPUs to just lock up and even burn during alpha/beta. Shit was nutty. 1.0 was nutty, the support threads during the beta/alpha forums were fucking crazy.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
A more accurate picture would be, your protagonist and alisie making a sandwich, and the lyse takes the plate and goes "look at this sandwich i made"

The thing she does... after the last fight in the story, you and opponent are having a moment and she literally comes the fuck out of nowhere to ruin it
That's one of the things that bothered me the most about Lyse's "role" in Stormblood's Story.
It was already bad enough that she was useless through out the whole adventure and
was handed down a position that she's clearly not suited for
but she pops out of nowhere at the last possible moment and the game wants to act like she's the one who did something useful
or libirated Ala Migho?
Screw you Square-Enix that's not going to fly with me. And no the whole argument of "Maybe she was doing all of these amazing/useful things off screen doesn't fly with me either.

Robin64

Worth noting that the level 70 PvP gear doesn't even have stats. They gave up on that idea. The earlier stuff though? Use it if you want, it's fine for levelling, but then so is quest stuff so iuno.

scy

but why? it has great stats, good ilevel

sorry, i mean using pvp gear for pve

No real reason to not use it for early leveling gear beyond it's pretty low ilvl; it was bad for, say, EX Primals / Savage stuff back in late 3.X since it lacked Accuracy at all but most the rest of the game didn't care about Accuracy even then so it was good catch-up gear for the dungeons, 24-man, etc.

I will say you'll end up with a lot of Petics in the process and Shire gear is just going to end up being flat out better. I want to say even the new basic vendor gear at 60-61 will beat out the Makai set.

Top Bottom