• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Astral

So I just got done with Ramuh and now Tataru is dressed in miner gear. Please tell me I'm near the end. The filler in between the cool bits suck so much.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I feel like I'm gonna be close to level 60 by the time I hit Hw. I'm already almost 55.
That's not unsual to be honest a friend of mine was Lv.65 by the time he started Stormblood.

aceface

That's one of the things that bothered me the most about Lyse's "role" in Stormblood's Story.
It was already bad enough that she was useless through out the whole adventure and
was handed down a position that she's clearly not suited for
but she pops out of nowhere at the last possible moment and the game wants to act like she's the one who did something useful
or libirated Ala Migho?
Screw you Square-Enix that's not going to fly with me. And no the whole argument of "Maybe she was doing all of these amazing/useful things off screen doesn't fly with me either.

End of 4.0 Spoilers on Lyse:
Lyse beat arguably the biggest baddie in the game that wasn't a primal who would take Echo to beat (Fordola). Also, Lyse's whole thing is that she is unsure of herself, but the Ala Mhigans need a symbol and a leader to rally around in their quest for freedom. Basically the whole game she is like "I don't know what I'm doing here, I just want to punch things" but Rauhban and that other old resistance leader foist it on her so she's like yeah ok, I'll be your symbol.
The Lyse hate is out of control.

Lyse beat arguably the biggest baddie in the game that wasn't a primal who would take Echo to beat (Fordola). Also, Lyse's whole thing is that she is unsure of herself, but the Ala Mhigans need a symbol and a leader to rally around in their quest for freedom. Basically the whole game she is like "I don't know what I'm doing here, I just want to punch things" but Rauhban and that other old resistance leader foist it on her so she's like yeah ok, I'll be your symbol.
If by beat you mean "use LB3 while we tank Fordola weakened by a gyzmo" then sure, and considering we dealt with Zenos who was much far along than Fordola without any of that shit I'm not sure that was even necessary?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Does this still need to be spoiler tagged? I guess so
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. She dealt the killing blow.
I still feel like that's stealing credit for something she didn't accomplished on her own.

Also as far as Fordola goes that was also BS in my opinion...we have slaughtered countless Garleans from all ranks,genders and races but as soon as we have Garleans of Ala Migho origin on the ropes we should arrest them instead of killing them? Forget this special treatment nonsense Lyse I say kill them all and let Hydelyn sort them out.

No real reason to not use it for early leveling gear beyond it's pretty low ilvl; it was bad for, say, EX Primals / Savage stuff back in late 3.X since it lacked Accuracy at all but most the rest of the game didn't care about Accuracy even then so it was good catch-up gear for the dungeons, 24-man, etc.

I will say you'll end up with a lot of Petics in the process and Shire gear is just going to end up being flat out better. I want to say even the new basic vendor gear at 60-61 will beat out the Makai set.
Thanks, thats interesting about the vendor gear.

Isaccard

Nothing in this post helps any argument for Lyse.

People hate Lyse because she fucking sucks, I'm sorry

Her biggest role for most of the game was 'cute white girl on the boxart' then she's shoehorned into leading the resistance (pre-dominantly) of Ala Migho who consist of pre-dominately brown people.

scy

Thanks, thats interesting about the vendor gear.

I went to go double check that I wasn't crazy on this but yeah, the Level 60 vendor gear is NQ i255 which makes it a step below all the Shire stuff (i260, i270 upgraded) but it's very much an increase over the PvP gear (i235). It's around 260k gil or so to buy the entire set from the vendors?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
lmao now I'm imagining someone in a primal tier fight standing around doing nothing while the rest of the party does everything, and then saying "I got this" at the end and lb's.

INB4That'sADragoon

aceface

Her biggest role for most of the game was 'cute white girl on the boxart' then she's shoehorned into leading the resistance (pre-dominantly) of Ala Migho who consist of pre-dominately brown people.

I mean, she's from Ala Mhigo. You even go to the village where she was born and her father was in the resistance. I don't know about the racial politics of Eorzea but it doesn't seem like a Danerys thing to me.

Trojita, she doesn't do nothing, she attacks the whole time. It's like, if you are in a party that beat O2S, did you not defeat Catastrophe?

I actually do like the outfit she wore throughout the expansion. It reminded me of Kid from Chrono Cross. The Ala Mhigan dress thing towards the end I could take or leave.

Astral

I'm still considering turning my character into a lala. Maybe a curse will be placed on her in Ishgard that turns her into one. It'll be just like one of my Japanese animes.

Yeah, she's really cute.
b5445caf-6aed-40e5-8801-5e50e47c33e8_1.304a304b22531f2a8ba3f17b019d070d.jpeg

I generally don't care too much about people underperforming in random dungeons but damn son
2K95Ns0.png

His top DPS was like 1k on aoe pulls. Had correct gear(mix of HQ quest rewards, 66/64, and green dungeon drops from SB dungeons with a bunch of Shire accs) and was seemingly casting the right spells, just like, taking breaks between spells to respect the content or something, and a lot of running around. Also using LB1 whenever it was up on every boss. Oh and not doing a single mechanic(not that there's a lot, but like didn't stand in towers even though one was right in front of him, died to the proximity bomb cause he just stood on top of it the entire time etc).

Luckily extreme cases like this are very rare.

Eldren

Speaking of white girls, feeling pretty good about this change:

(Big fan of the jump animation in particular.)

I don't know how it plays at 70 but I'm really enjoying WHM at the moment. Still only 67 so I don't have all the traits and abilities yet but it's pretty cool. Assize every 45 seconds is so good. I'm mostly looking forward to getting it to 70 so I don't have to wait forever for DPS expert roulette queues.

B.K.

I wouldn't mind Lyse as much if
they hadn't sacrificed Yda and Papalymo for her. I liked the back and forth the two of them had. Lyse should have been a completely new character instead of destroying Yda to completely change her character.

Nail on the head.

Take Lyse out of the story. Does anything change?

I hate Lyse too but let's not be hasty here

Bro come on. Those pants before he wardrobe change are as bad as the Xenoblade 2 guy.

Man, I wish Au Ra ladies were big and beefy like their male counterparts. I really like my character's horns and scales, but she looks like the five billion other dainty girls running around.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He's saying we needed waifu power to beat Zenos.

Stuart444

So got CUL to 70 today after a few days of work and doing collectables. Loved the CUL Storyline, Went through 50 - 70 (did 50 - 60 before I started work on collectables and did the 60 - 70 quests as I got to them) job quests. Loved the CUL quest line. Hell, ignoring the SB CUL quests, the job quests were worth it just for the final cutscenes of CUL's HW quests. with that contest.

Starting on WVR next, farmed most of the crystals I need for the leve quests, just need to farm the mats and I can craft everything I need for the leve quests to get to 70 :D.

Side note: Love that the job quests now give you the mats and you just need to craft them successfully. Soooo much better now :D

Edzi

I don't know how anyone can argue that Lyse was well written into the story. I'll also echo the sentiment that losing
Yda
for her was stupid and a waste.

Care to back up this ridiculous claim with factual evidence?

Was there really any point in Zeno's plotline without Lyse? Zenos killing thousands of Ala Mhigans. You guide Lyse there to defend her people even if she starts off as a naive girl. Every comrade you meet during Stormblood all make Lyse realize that she's not alone. Her ascent to Liberator of Ala Mhigo is through those people. Without Lyse would there even BE a liberator? Rauhbahn already has his hands full with Ul'dah, Conrad isn't important once you get half way and Mnaago doesn't have enough screen time to be liberator. I interpreted Stormblood as a naive girl seeing what her people are going through and YOU help her become liberator. People act like Lyse deserves credit for nothing but she did in fact do things. Yeah, the LB3 she does has already been discussed and I feel it's unfair you guys dont give her the credit there. Yes, you had the magic wand to stop Fordola but Lyse finished her. If you WRITE Lyse out of the story you would never even have a crimson liberator. It begins in crimson and Lyse's narrations help show what she's going through.

The only thing that's unexplained about Lyse right now is that her
father is black for some reason while she is white. Unless her mother is white but that's unexplained. I know you people see this as racist and I can agree there.
Let's not act like Lyse is a character that just stands there doing nothing. She's a key figure in the story of stormblood. You wouldn't have stormblood without her.

@ Edzi how was it stupid and a waste?

Was there really any point in Zeno's plotline without Lyse? Zenos killing thousands of Ala Mhigans. You guide Lyse there to defend her people even if she starts off as a naive girl. Every comrade you meet during Stormblood all make Lyse realize that she's not alone. Her ascent to Liberator of Ala Mhigo is through those people. Without Lyse would there even BE a liberator? Rauhbahn already has his hands full with Ul'dah, Conrad isn't important once you get half way and Mnaago doesn't have enough screen time to be liberator. I interpreted Stormblood as a naive girl seeing what her people are going through and YOU help her become liberator. People act like Lyse deserves credit for nothing but she did in fact do things. Yeah, the LB3 she does has already been discussed and I feel it's unfair you guys dont give her the credit there. Yes, you had the magic wand to stop Fordola but Lyse finished her. If you WRITE Lyse out of the story you would never even have a crimson liberator. It begins in crimson and Lyse's narrations help show what she's going through.

father is black for some reason while she is white. Unless her mother is white but that's unexplained. I know you people see this as racist and I can agree there.
Let's not act like Lyse is a character that just stands there doing nothing. She's a key figure in the story of stormblood. You wouldn't have stormblood without her.

M'naago, with her limited time in the story, contributed more than Lyse did as the face of the expansion. . So fuck your own personal rivalry with Zenos and needing to defeat him to have the empire weaken and withdraw from Ala Mhigo I guess. Lyse is a "key character" in the sense that the developers say she is. But in effect she does nothing. Compare her with someone like Estinien. BRO YOU KNOW WHAT.
Estinien does more in this expansion than Lyse

Edzi

I don't see how Lyse was necessary for or instrumental to anything you just mentioned. The decision to liberate Ala Mhigo was made by the alliance and had nothing to do with her, and beating Zenos was going to happen with or without her to achieve that.

I don't see how Lyse was necessary for or instrumental to anything you just mentioned. The decision to liberate Ala Mhigo was made by the alliance and had nothing to do with her, and beating Zenos was going to happen with or without her to achieve that.

Okay... let's say you write Lyse out of the story. Who is there that has a background with Zenos's war? Heavensward wouldn't really make sense without Estinien for example.

For what it's worth.... I really dont agree that M'naggo did more than Lyse. She sounded a horn... big deal. Lyse kicked a villain's arse.

Edzi

@ Edzi how was it stupid and a waste?

How was it not?
Yda was a character who was with us since the beginning, and she was retconned away as an entirely new character. I agree with what was said before, they should have just made her a separate character.

Okay... let's say you write Lyse out of the story. Who is there that has a background with Zenos's war? Heavensward wouldn't really make sense without Estinien for example.

For what it's worth.... I really dont agree that M'naggo did more than Lyse. She sounded a horn... big deal. Lyse kicked a villain's arse.

Raubahn for one, but it could been any other character. You also can't really compare Estinien to Lyse, she's pretty much a nobody compared to him when it comes to their importance to the world and its current situation.

Lyse reminded me a lot of Vaan from ffxii, she was just kind of along for the ride (until she was inexplicably and undeservedly thrust into a position of power near the end).

Top Bottom