• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Village

Was there really any point in Zeno's plotline without Lyse?

Yeah there is, he's virgil , i'm Dante and we gonna fight.

And we faught, and it was fucking AWESOME.

And then lyse ran in and ruined it in the last minute, we were having rival battle talks and she just runs in " i'm here too i'm helping " i'm like what the fuck, we are having a moment

Estinien does fuck all in this expansion..... not sure if serious.

LMAO. Are you.. nvm....

O2S is a headache. It really should be simple, but counting on everyone to be perfect (albeit with simple mechanics) is nuts. One fuck up can be a wipe.

I know this will just hurt me more, but what was their original design?

Not a female design but you can imagine.

cfe35148.jpg

Isaccard

Was there really any point in Zeno's plotline without Lyse?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't recall these two having much interaction with each other at all.

You guide Lyse

WoL holding her hand and doing all the work? This seems accurate.

Her ascent to Liberator of Ala Mhigo

lol wat. You mean the role she was handed?
Without Lyse would there even BE a liberator?

What did she do again exactly?

Conrad isn't important once you get half way and Mnaago doesn't have enough screen time to be liberator.

This is cute, because these same characters you mentioned actually have more relevance and impact than Lyse does.

YOU help her become liberator.

You mean WOL did all the work. And Lyse just happend to be there.

People act like Lyse deserves credit for nothing but she did in fact do things.

Yeah? Like what, you (and all her defenders) keep leaving this crucial part out of your posts.

Yeah, the LB3 she does has already been discussed and I feel it's unfair you guys dont give her the credit there. Yes, you had the magic wand to stop Fordola but Lyse finished her. If you WRITE Lyse out of the story you would never even have a crimson liberator.

We don't now sooo...

Estinien who show's up for like 2 scenes was 1000x more useful than Lyse was all game long.

Village

Lyse was a mistake

Hien was a much better character, in a much more interesting visual inviroment. I wish all of stormblood was eastern stuff ( plus the weird super cooll native american/african stuff with the Au Ra) and none lyse's shit in ala mhigo.

This Expansion made me not care about liberating that country

Having Lyse tag along isn't plot critical, for sure. Doing it for our boy Raubahn (The game didn't seem to remember this until near the end, though) or just because the Warrior of Light does whatever they're needed to do (with only minor complaining) would have been ample reason to go save Ala Mhigo.

For real though, I want the option to straight up tell Alphie 'No' next expansion, YoshiP.

Lyse was a mistake

Hien was a much better character, in a much more interesting visual inviroment. I wish all of stormblood was eastern stuff ( plus the weird super cooll native american/african stuff with the Au Ra) and none lyse's shit in ala mhigo.

I found myself thinking the same thing by the end, actually. It felt like neither Doma nor Ala Mhigo really had time to breathe. It was enough to make me wish we had put off one or the other until the next expansion.

Okay... let's say you write Lyse out of the story. Who is there that has a background with Zenos's war? Heavensward wouldn't really make sense without Estinien for example.

Why Lyse? Why that particular backstory for her (which you're right. It doesn't even make sense as her father is brown)? Why is this the woman who is personally entrusted with the major leadership position even if we presume she's just a figurehead for troop morale?

It's an expansion and they could have literally introduced anyone who could naturally sell themselves as a convincing leader. They succeed with Hien, who displays a leadership capacity, exercises military tactical zeal with the attack on the castle, and devises a more long-term plan to inflict turmoil on the Garleans using his ninjas. Lyse? Well, her father was a leader, so I guess she gets the mantle now. It's only a war. Properly appointing the right person to spearhead a major life-or-death military operation to reclaim your homeland or die trying is for chumps.

For what it's worth.... I really dont agree that M'naggo did more than Lyse. She sounded a horn... big deal. Lyse kicked a villain's arse.

M'naago who has lived and breathed war for her homeland for as long as she can remember, has been on the front lines from start to end, bled to deliver a vital message to Gridania earlier, is the voice that brings resolve back after Zenos wrecks shop in Rhalgr's Reach. You're right. She's done nothing.

iammeiam

Not a female design but you can imagine.

cfe35148.jpg

This is the female counterpart to that, I think, and I'm linking since it's close enough to not work safe this seems easier.

That is a race design I would have liked; you can see the relation to what we got, but that wouldn't have gotten any of the waifu bullshit emotes that make female Au'ra cringe factories, while still working with all the cleavage and boob window clothes they like giving females.

Lyse was a mistake

I got a more Mongolian feel from the Au Ra this expac. but yeah, loved it. Hien was great too. Easily the best character in the expac.

This is the female counterpart to that, I think, and I'm linking since it's close enough to not work safe this seems easier.

That is a race design I would have liked; you can see the relation to what we got, but that wouldn't have gotten any of the waifu bullshit emotes that make female Au'ra cringe factories.

Yeah. this is so much better than Elezen weebs with scales that we got.

Village

I found myself thinking the same thing by the end, actually. It felt like neither Doma nor Ala Mhigo really had time to breathe. It was enough to make me wish we had put off one or the other until the next expansion.

Al mhigo wasn't interestng. The first two areas are just more ul dah, except some how a less interesting desert with a less interesting color pallete. The only part of Ala Mhigo that gets cool is the last area,
where part of that castle is because it shows parts of the previous society ,and some cool new enemies.

Doma from beginning to end was new and visually interesting, I don't think breathing would have helped ala mhigo, it would have been always like this. I feel like this is a" getting the shit out of the way " expansion because it seems like they didn't really have any ideas for ala mhigo besides " its kinda a desert" , strapped a story and a character onto that and shoved into another expansion.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

That is a race design I would have liked; you can see the relation to what we got, but that wouldn't have gotten any of the waifu bullshit emotes that make female Au'ra cringe factories, while still working with all the cleavage and boob window clothes they like giving females.

Both were superior. Man they fucked up. Also Yugiri should have been a Bangaa.

Village

I like Au Ra now, but damn those designs are tight. This screams of they didn't want to to make a race that wasn't litteral potato babies, that you couldn't waifu or husbando. Like they thought the idea of a race being ugly and scaley would be bad instead of interesting and cool.

this shit smacks of the same place Vaan came from

That isn't Gosestu, who I kept calling Gotestu from street fighter , then I just called him akuma, then I just yelled messastu every time he was on screen.

My point is gosestu is the mvp

Soroban is the secret mvp of the expansion, Lyse wishes she was half as good as him.

These are truths

and yeah, the original designs for the dragon people are much better, i would've rocked that

iammeiam

I like Au Ra now, but damn those designs are tight. This screams of they didn't want to to make a race that wasn't litteral potato babies, that you couldn't waifu or husbando. Like they thought the idea of a race being ugly and scaley would be bad instead of interesting and cool.

this shit smacks of the same place Vaan came from

I was halfway through typing out a post about wishing they'd made female Au Ra closer to femroes than Miqo'te, but then I realized like three people play femroes and everybody plays waifus and we're doomed forever.

M'naago who has lived and breathed war for her homeland for as long as she can remember, has been on the front lines from start to end, bled to deliver a vital message to Gridania earlier, is the voice that brings resolve back after Zenos wrecks shop in Rhalgr's Reach. You're right. She's done nothing.

I didn't mean she did nothing. I found beating down and arresting Fordola was just more of an accomplishment.

scy

I'm pretty sure I even waifu'd the last time I went femroe.

Naked male roe was still my most glorious form.

Why Lyse? Why that particular backstory for her (which you're right. It doesn't even make sense as her father is brown)? Why is this the woman who is personally entrusted with the major leadership position even if we presume she's just a figurehead for troop morale?

It's an expansion and they could have literally introduced anyone who could naturally sell themselves as a convincing leader. They succeed with Hien, who displays a leadership capacity, exercises military tactical zeal with the attack on the castle, and devises a more long-term plan to inflict turmoil on the Garleans using his ninjas. Lyse? Well, her father was a leader, so I guess she gets the mantle now. It's only a war. Properly appointing the right person to spearhead a major life-or-death military operation to reclaim your homeland or die trying is for chumps.

Except Raubahn is the one who actually spearheaded that operation.

I'm of the perspective that Lyse didn't do much that much of significance individually in Stormblood, but that the story itself (as opposed to some of the marketing perhaps) doesn't really try to pretend that she did. By the time she took over the leadership of the Ala Mhigan Resistance, the group was already operating as a adjunct to the Alliance forces under Raubahn's command. So she didn't really have to lead in terms of making any decisions; she was just a figurehead at that point. The real test of leadership comes now, once the Alliance forces withdraw and she has to help guide where Ala Mhigo goes from here. If the upcoming patch stories don't do anything more with Lyse's character, then I'll call her a missed opportunity, but right now I don't think she's been handled in a faulty way.

I was halfway through typing out a post about wishing they'd made female Au Ra closer to femroes than Miqo'te, but then I realized like three people play femroes and everybody plays waifus and we're doomed forever.
One day people will realise that femroes are the best race/gender and join the handful of us that already have that knowledge.

I didn't mean she did nothing. I found beating down and arresting Fordola was just more of an accomplishment.

After the Warrior of Light already weakened her with a siphon that Urianger came up with. I'll happily give him the credit he deserves, because this win is all on him if you think about it. A Chocobo could have marched in at the end and knocked Fordola out with a claw to the face, so I'm not going to pretend that Lyse does anything impressive there besides electing to spare her as an example.

After the Warrior of Light already weakened her with a siphon that Urianger came up with. I'll happily give him the credit he deserves, because this win is all on him if you think about it. A Chocobo could have marched in at the end and knocked Fordola out with a claw to the face, so I'm not going to pretend that Lyse does anything impressive there besides electing to spare her as an example.

Okay, I get it... you don't believe Lyse finished Fordola but dont act like that LB3 wasn't her doing >.>

MechaX

I agree that Urianger doesn't get enough credit for coming all the way from the Waking fucking Sands to give us a literal MacGuffin that I am still not entirely sure how he built, how he knew we would need it, or how HE even knew he would need it.

That makes him the true MVP with that particular encounter.

It's weird that Hien and Lyse are in the same game.

Because
Hien is done well, in that he has the actual qualities to lead and liberate his homeland which he does.

While Lyse has none of them yet it's all handed to her. Kind of like someone on the writing team likes her a lot so just hands her shit instead of having her actually earn it.

I would have no problems with Lyse if she actually earned her position.

But she didn't.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hien > Lyse but Ala Mhigo > Doma.

I wish the whole expansion was about Azim Steppes.

Qvoth

SB is out for more than a month and people are still angry with lyse
what ala mhigo needed is a symbol, the only other choice was that miqote girl with sice's hair
just because a person doesn't "deserve" a spot doesn't mean he/she won't be good at it either

Edzi

SB is out for more than a month and people are still angry with lyse
what ala mhigo needed is a symbol, the only other choice was that miqote girl with sice's hair
just because a person doesn't "deserve" a spot doesn't mean he/she won't be good at it either

I dunno, it would have been cool if Raubahn stepped down from his position in Uldah to go back home and lead there. In fact, I wish we got way more Raubahn development in SB instead of the forced Lyse narrative.

rubius01

Lyse was a mistake

I thought that Hien showed nothing. I mean he's the "Lord of the Castle" and did have a badass music theme, but what the hell did he do? The people only followed him only because he was the lord of the castle. The WoL was the one who kicked their asses, not Hien,
all he did was cut Yousetsu (sp?) and leave his (badass) protector to die
. What the hell did Rhaoubhan do? He would've lost both of his arms if it wasn't for the WoL. Also, he would't have made past the wall if it wasn't for the WoL, so of course he isn't worth shit without the WoL. For that matter, no one did shit without the WoL
except for Hourchfaunt, he's a badass
not even Hrasvalgr. Bastard got his ass kicked by a dead dragon. WoL had to come in and clean up his fucking messes. Point is, Lyse is no different than any other major character in the game, so why are you singling out her for this reason?

So basically trying to put an objective reason why you don' t like a character is dumber than hell. If you just don't like Lyse just because she rubs you wrong then own up to it.

aceface

Lyse
is in your party doing everything you do for literally the whole expansion. It's not like she pulls a Y'da and stays on the sideline getting handed everything at the end.

People give Alisae all the love, yet Fordola took her down- Lyse succeeded where Alisae failed (admittedly with the help of Urianger's McGuffin).

Honestly I don't see the love for Hien either. It wasn't his plan that succeeded in Doma, Alphinaud came up with it. The WoL won that tournament on the steppe- they didn't even give that to him. Yet you don't hear people say he got everything handed to him.

iammeiam

TFW confused by horrible personal performance in O1S and O2S

and then remember starting the HW AST quest line today

and then realize still have i170 relic equipped

unintentionally counteracting the bonuses of weapon week

Top Bottom