• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

R0ckman

I probably should have unsubbed from Mr. Happy sooner. He got past Raubahn Savage super early and has been posting dungeon videos and I don't even really care to know their names.

Funny how these guys some how managed to slip past, not even on FF14 fanous streamer has been screwed?

Not that I have anything against happy, love his content, though he should probably have named himself Mr. Sleepy. Guy always looks dead tired.

On my server everything has plummeted, I usually undercut because things are sometimes 500% marked up, but it snowballed from there and everything has cheaped out. Sometimes I undercut weapons so I can buy a bunch of them on the cheap and use in leves.

You bastard undercutters robbing greedy gatherers like me of our easy profit. Though I should probably have more sympathy for the consumer cause one of my friends is like pinky toe deep in 15k gil.

Kalentan

Anyone else wish the 'major' side quests chain were voice acted?

Also I just came across a character who spoke a line of Japanese. As in, not translated at all...

I wonder if that was on purpose or a mistake.

R0ckman

You guys think this would still be an issue if they locked this behind a level 61-62 check, funneling people into a grind session? That would better than whats happening now.

You guys think this would still be an issue if they locked this behind a level 61-62 check, funneling people into a grind session? That would better than whats happening now.
Yes, because having a dungeon before this would naturally funnel people with all the DPS players going around

And this isn't even the worst problem of this: people who rolled the new jobs should be reaching the bottleneck now so by the time these people reach the first dungeon, DPS queues will become a nightmare

I beat 2.0 MSQ during Early Access launch, and proceeded to swap over to Samurai.

I played all day yesterday knocking out the 2.1 patch MSQs and almost all of 2.2 MSQs and still didn't get to level 51.

But I will say this, ARR is trash as far as leveling, questing, and story scenes. I would find it very very hard to recommend a new player get into FFXIV because it's such a terrible experience to go through first, 2.0 base game. 90% of the hundreds and hundreds of mandatory MSQs are fetch or delivery quests. And you get rewarded with the most basic and low budget looking cut scenes. With only a handful being voice acted, and the voice actors are TERRIBLE and the story is not even remotely interesting. Bottom line, I almost quit several times and I'm sure that's a major issue with new players hitting that point and quitting. It's just bad.

But the game is finally turning it around. I don't know if they got new voice actors or something, but the 2.2 (and even some 2.1) is already a HUGE improvement. The animations and production quality of the cut scenes are like 20 times better, unique animations and effects and the characters actually have personality and life to them. And I've already witnessed like double the amount of voice acted cut scenes than the entirety of 2.0 game. And the voice actors are sooo much better. It's night and day almost feels like a different game. The cut scenes are actually interesting and animated with care and effort.

I wish 2.1-2.5? didn't have so many damn MSQs to get through in order to start Heavansward but this at least gives me hope that I don't have to suffer trough 2.0-like questing and story scenes. Ugh.

They seriously need to revamp 2.0 or something for new players.
To my understanding, the voice acting was done super late, and was very rushed. And there were tons of complaints about 1.0's barebones as shit story, so they loaded up on MSQ quests even if a ton are just basic delivery stuff.

I think the writing still carries it, there's lots of good world building and a number of cool moments (mostly the primal fights and the build up to them). But I can definitely see why someone might complain. It's slow paced.

Meanwhile, the patches have a lot more cool shit happening a lot faster because all the setup has already been done. At the same time, the voice actors get better and better (I'd say better direction probably), and the writing gets better and better too. If you're not hype as fuck for Heavensward by the end of 2.5 then you're probably not human.

Heavensward's writing, meanwhile, blows away ARR's. Better on pretty much every front. The one annoying thing is that they swapped the entire voice cast (except one character) and literally didn't tell ANYONE. We only found out the day the game launched. The voice acting is definitely way better with the new cast, but it's a shame considering the old cast was finally getting good.

But yeah. There's lots of great story stuff and plot threads incoming. There's a fair bit of patch story left, but I think it's awesome setup for HW.

iammeiam

You guys think this would still be an issue if they locked this behind a level 61-62 funneling people into a grind session? That would better than whats happening now.

There were two ways to handle this.

- Rework the MSQ to flow in a different way, allowing more to happen before the events of the first two solo instances. Ideally, you have the first mandatory dungeon beforehand, because the dungeon in and of itself will inevitably stagger player progression in the first couple of hours in a way go-from-A-to-B fetch quests and cutscenes cannot. Also, probably, give jobs meaningful entry level 60 quests that do not require a solo instance. Basically, the goal is to have everyone spread out as much as possible as soon as possible.

Additionally, from a personal perspective, the first solo instance didn't need to happen. It felt a lot like something we'd seen and done before. I get the importance of the second one (although making it a soloable instance with flexible group size would have been better/less stress for the system maybe), but the first one is alright but not really elevated. Those events don't become super memorable from being interactive, and pretty much every solo quest after at least tries to stand out.

My preferred version though is:

- figure out how to implement solo instance queues. This way no matter what content you design, the server has a way to give people ordering for it. The massive lines show people would have been fine waiting hours to get in, if there was an actual sense of progress to it. If people could queue for Cold Steel, be told a four hour estimated wait, and go screw around doing other things for a while, it works out. Launches are busy, and we have to accept that.

But instead there's no progress. Clicking for 20,000 times on the first day doesn't make your 20,001st click any more likely to succeed than some guy's first who just started today. Players can't meaningfully impact it, help each other, or have any real influence over it. That's awful.

I'm usually not super attached to the story, but if XIV wants to be able to prioritize the single player instances, their best solution is to come up with something repeatable to handle if things get bad, instead of trying to rearrange everything around a known issue.

You can do a lot more wandering around or semi-afk irl then manually spamming an npc

And this is a thing--I got past the NPC early but ended up spending a lot of the day mostly afk, checking in periodically to see if more people had gotten through to start doing more. That was a whole lot less personally annoying than most people who couldn't leave the freaking NPC for 10 hours.

aka_bueno

To my understanding, the voice acting was done super late, and was very rushed. And there were tons of complaints about 1.0's barebones as shit story, so they loaded up on MSQ quests even if a ton are just basic delivery stuff.

I think the writing still carries it, there's lots of good world building and a number of cool moments (mostly the primal fights and the build up to them). But I can definitely see why someone might complain. It's slow paced.

Meanwhile, the patches have a lot more cool shit happening a lot faster because all the setup has already been done. At the same time, the voice actors get better and better (I'd say better direction probably), and the writing gets better and better too. If you're not hype as fuck for Heavensward by the end of 2.5 then you're probably not human.

Heavensward's writing, meanwhile, blows away ARR's. Better on pretty much every front. The one annoying thing is that they swapped the entire voice cast (except one character) and literally didn't tell ANYONE. We only found out the day the game launched. The voice acting is definitely way better with the new cast, but it's a shame considering the old cast was finally getting good.

But yeah. There's lots of great story stuff and plot threads incoming. There's a fair bit of patch story left, but I think it's awesome setup for HW.

Im looking forward to it then, sounds like huge improvements. And shame about the voice cast getting swapped like that. I was begging for them to stop talking in 2.0 for what little voiced scenes there were, but in 2.1-2.2 so far they seriously improved by a wide margin that I actually enjoyed what I've seen and heard so far.

It's almost as if all of 2.0 voiced acted lines were done with a single cut from the actors reading off the script without rehearsing them or given any direction.

2.1 and forward so far they actually sound like they're enjoying themselves giving these characters life and personality.

Like 2 diff games so far.

i fail to see how that would make a difference really .

Either you are spamming the NPC for hours to get in or you spend hours in a queue for it .
1) It puts people in a line so whoever queued first is gonna get in first
2) Queues tell you which position you are in a line so you can have an idea of when its gonna be your turn instead of getting frustrated at a failed loading over and over
3) No need to keep clicking an NPC and skipping a cutscene constantly
4) It would fucking work

Wilsongt

Yoshi finally learned not to have long cut scenes in story dungeons because people get pissed off at newbies.

Maybe in 5.0 he'll learn not to put solo instances near the beginning of the story.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
i fail to see how that would make a difference really .

Either you are spamming the NPC for hours to get in or you spend hours in a queue for it .

You can do other things while you wait. Fates. Level gathering/crafting. Difference is huge.

I'd love to wait in a 2 hour line and do other things instead of spam a box for 2 hours.

Wilsongt

You can do other things while you wait. Fates. Level gathering/crafting. Difference is huge.

I'd love to wait in a 2 hour line and do other things instead of spam a box for 2 hours.

Yep. Give me a queue that can go in the background while I work on other things.

Dunan

Just tried it on my phone at work and it went through. Thanks for the suggestion you're a life saver. Still strange how that managed to work on my works ip but not my home one. Well I'm relieved I was really worried about my account.

Nice!

Crazy, huh? Maybe they figure people traveling abroad are going to be carrying their phones everywhere, so phones come up as "probably not an account-hijacker"?

No idea, but we're in and that's what counts!

I've been on for 30 minutes and have basically been tweaking the UI the entire time -- now that we can zoom everything 1.5x by default, I'm switching from "mostly 140%" to "default 150% system-wide then 100% or 120% for each thing". A long-awaited QOL improvement!

iammeiam

Their response for the people stuck on the first trial is laughable:

You paid to play on the 16th, you'll get to continue playing after the 20th.

I hadn't even heard this was happening--you're not just stuck on the first trial, you're locked out of your character completely. If you only have one character, the game is literally unplayable, not just "can't progress".

Good freaking lord.

aceface

Their response for the people stuck on the first trial is laughable:

You paid to play on the 16th, you'll get to continue playing after the 20th.

Is this happening to everyone who completes that trial? So like, I shouldn't do it if I get there before they implement a fix?

B.K.

It's going to take forever to get used to these new abilities and my new layout of my crossbar. I was already really bad to hit the wrong ability half the time. I feel sorry for anyone that gets me as a tank.

Matticers

I can't even do the fight for the level 60 ninja quest. I don't even want to do the new Stormblood quests yet but I can't even complete other stuff in the game. This sucks. I can't believe games like this just become broken when a bunch of people are playing it. Makes me hesitant to jump into any future expansions at release.

Bowlie

Banned
Is this happening to everyone who completes that trial? So like, I shouldn't do it if I get there before they implement a fix?

Not everyone, no, but enough people (as you can see in that thread). I haven't reached that part, but I heard people saying that changing to dx9 mode prevents you from getting stuck, and that skipping the related cutscenes also helps.

aka_bueno

Does anyone have any good tips or tweaks for gamepad users? Whether it's targeting or UI?

For instance I find that changing the map setting to close open with a single button press is way better. And also the setting that makes the map active window or not depending on if youre moving or not. These two settings made the big map easier and more predictable to control for me on gamepad.

Bebpo

Banned
So how bad are the DPS queues while leveling to 60? Duty Roulette leveling and low level are both 30-minute wait for me as a DPS.

Queues are fucking terrible because everyone that would be doing random stuff like roulettes to fill the gap are playing msq and stuck at the roadblocks and anyone doing the new jobs for 50-60 stuff are DPS only. I started 6 months ago so I'm used to fast queues and this totally sucks. Felt like running Void Ark last night and 24-man raid is impossible to get currently. At least dungeons/trials if you put up a party finder you should find people quick.

I'm just working on crafting & fishing since I can't progress the SB MSQ past Rauban and queue times for MP are nuts.

Wilsongt

Queues are fucking terrible because everyone that would be doing random stuff like roulettes to fill the gap are playing msq and stuck at the roadblocks. I started 6 months ago so I'm used to fast queues and this totally sucks. Felt like running Void Ark last night and 24-man raid is impossible to get currently. At least dungeons/trials if you put up a party finder you should find people quick.

Not really. It's hard to find tanks and healers.

Queues are fucking terrible because everyone that would be doing random stuff like roulettes to fill the gap are playing msq and stuck at the roadblocks and anyone doing the new jobs for 50-60 stuff are DPS only. I started 6 months ago so I'm used to fast queues and this totally sucks. Felt like running Void Ark last night and 24-man raid is impossible to get currently. At least dungeons/trials if you put up a party finder you should find people quick.

I'm just working on crafting & fishing since I can't progress the SB MSQ past Rauban and queue times for MP are nuts.

This is terrible and SE is saying there's nothing to fix right? Is spear fishing fun at least?

Vic_Viper

There any good videos yet of guides for SAM and/or RDM?

Gotta say, after wanting SAM for so long and finally getting it I almost feel like RDM is the more fun class. Such a disappointment considering how much fun SAM was in 11. Only 51 with each so it's way to soon to tell.

aceface

You might as well not even do the story because it is literally right at the beginning.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is a different issue from the Rauhban one, it's happening after the first primal. After beating it, people get stuck in the instance and can't access their characters. Maybe for several days(!!)

You will probably never, ever run Void Ark again unless they either add some kind of roulette for 24 man raids or they put relic content in them like they did with the Anima weapons.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
You will probably never, ever run Void Ark again until they either add some kind of roulette for 24 man raids or they put relic content in them like they did with the Anima weapons.

There more chance of them fixing the MSQ today than there is of them not making void ark part of anima quest.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is a different issue from the Rauhban one, it's happening after the first primal. After beating it, people get stuck in the instance and can't access their characters. Maybe for several days(!!)

Yup that's right. It's a different and far worse issue since you're just locked out of your character entirely.

You can get the old 24mans to run every now and then even before there was a relic step, just not anytime soon cause atm everyone's leveling. In 2months or whatever, people will go hunt glamours and shit in various places. Still expect 30mins-1hour queues until relic stuff.

Found a use for One Ilm Punch today, was nice. There's this large FATE boss(the ones that last 30mins and have orchestrion rewards) and it has a super large "unavoidable" aoe he casts every 20secs or so. With the right timing I had One Ilm Punch ready for most of them and it still stuns even when the monster is basically permanently stun immune due to ppl spamming stun moves for damage. Pretty neat. The aoe wasn't crazy or anything, like any healer could easily top off everyone in one cast, but nice if you're soloing on a fate or hunt or something and need an interupt. Just annoying to get on the right stance for it unless you know the timing of the ability to interupt.

Top Bottom