• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

v1perz53

Man as someone who played about a year ago and got both my Pal and War to ~40, it is so weird going back and playing on a new character in Stormblood, levelling them again. I always preferred War at lower levels, since between heavy swing being an early oGCD and Fracture being a DoT to manage, it felt like you had so much more to do versus Pal which was just doing a 2 part combo over and over for like 25 levels.

But now, it is so totally different that it is glaring. Wars get no DoT early anymore, and it doesn't look like they get any oGCD damage moves till after level 50 at least. And for the first 30 levels you open with one 2 part combo and you spam another over and over. While Pal got to keep their oGCD damage move they get at 18 and get their 3 part combo at 26, plus another oGCD at 30. Not to mention both get a damage buff on a 60 sec CD early now, but Pal lasts 25 sec while War lasts 20. Pretty much the only downside to early Pal is that you still only have Flash as an AoE until 46, and spamming Flash in dungeons is pretty much the definition of lame. Just really jarring to go back and play now.

E: Realized I worded things a bit confusingly, I think the complexity is actually similar between the two now up to 30, Pal gets an oGCD and a 3 part combo to spam, War has a 2 part combo with a debuff to maintain and another 2 part combo to spam, both are hella simple but not THAT different for the first 30 levels. Mostly commenting on how pre-stormblood War had a lot more early game complexity than it does now.

Caim

Just curious how the MSQ situation is going, is it still terrible at the first duty or has it evened out to the second more so?

Its just that duty in particular I have done the rest just fine, but that is probably because people are still having issues getting into Cold Steel.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Game looks good but I've always kept a distance. I know pvp isn't a priority in this series but how is it? I heard they revamped some things. Is there just battlegrounds-esque stuff?

Thanks

Ataxia

Did they fix the Cold Steel quest?

I'm already past it but I know the zones after it were empty as fuck because of it.
Just spent the better part of three hours trying to get in

Nope. They don't even seem to be acknowledging that this is a huge issue

From a tech side the game shoots pretty low so it's not super surprising. Texture work is not very high resolution and doesn't even use much blending. World geometry is extremely simple. Hopefully the dev team will take more steps forward in these areas in the future because the game is starting to look somewhat dated.

Nah, game looks fine to me, in fact it's my favorite looking mmo.

Allows people of all specs to play a still good looking game. Do wish they did allow a little bit higher res textures on main characters though....bout my only complaint

Shahed

Odin has been pretty good since yesterday evening. This Cold Steel quest I didn't even need to queue for, just went straight to the npc to start the instance.
Yeah apart from logging in most things seem fine on Odin. Well at least they did before I went to work. Cold Steel worked straight away

RK9039

Man as someone who played about a year ago and got both my Pal and War to ~40, it is so weird going back and playing on a new character in Stormblood, levelling them again. I always preferred War at lower levels, since between heavy swing being an early oGCD and Fracture being a DoT to manage, it felt like you had so much more to do versus Pal which was just doing a 2 part combo over and over for like 25 levels.

But now, it is so totally different that it is glaring. Wars get no DoT early anymore, and it doesn't look like they get any oGCD damage moves till after level 50 at least. And for the first 30 levels you open with one 2 part combo and you spam another over and over. While Pal got to keep their oGCD damage move they get at 18 and get their 3 part combo at 26, plus another oGCD at 30. Not to mention both get a damage buff on a 60 sec CD early now, but Pal lasts 25 sec while War lasts 20. Pretty much the only downside to early Pal is that you still only have Flash as an AoE until 46, and spamming Flash in dungeons is pretty much the definition of lame. Just really jarring to go back and play now.

E: Realized I worded things a bit confusingly, I think the complexity is actually similar between the two now up to 30, Pal gets an oGCD and a 3 part combo to spam, War has a 2 part combo with a debuff to maintain and another 2 part combo to spam, both are hella simple but not THAT different for the first 30 levels. Mostly commenting on how pre-stormblood War had a lot more early game complexity than it does now.

I'm sticking with Warrior but they've seriously killed this class, the uniqueness has gone because there is barely any self sustain and stance swapping is worse now. I used to use Bloodbath and Mercy Stroke all the time.

At least we still have equilibrium.

So I still need to do the MSQ from Soul Surrender and The Far Edge of Fate before starting Stormblood. Is it feasible to do them now or are the servers too busy?

I got through the cold steel quest without any issue the first time I tried it. Since then it's been smooth sailing and I'm currently at the level 67 dungeon. The queues have been instantaneous as a DPS so while I feel bad for everyone else, I'm having possibly the best experience ever xD

Dunan

Not at this point Im locked out of anything payment related. Thing is I was able to buy Crysta and its sitting in my account to use so I can't see how its payment related because I was able to buy Crysta in the first place. My CC is fine and doesn't expire for another two years.

When I get home from work Ill get in queue again for webchat I mean I'll be super pissed if they can't do anything and I can't use my account Ive had my character since 1.0 and have spent thousands on this game between subs, cash shop and merchandise.

Just tried something new and it worked!

I logged in using my phone, using its cellular network rather than my home IP address.

Registered my Japanese credit card.

Worked!

(I actually put several months' worth of Crysta on there in anticipation of future trouble. Will the game auto-renew me? Is there a way to pause your sub in these cases?)

scy

I'm sticking with Warrior but they've seriously killed this class, the uniqueness has gone because there is barely any self sustain and stance swapping is worse now. I used to use Bloodbath and Mercy Stroke all the time.

I'm at 66, and things feel fine. Assuming I never stance change. The moment I start that up then everything potentially feels like garbage and I'm constantly chasing inefficient combos to zero out resource or getting absurdly irritated at having 8, 5, 4, 2, etc. leftover in the meter.

Shahed

For those who have done the Trial at Lv 63
is it only the tanks that do the button mash segment that holds the blade back? If it is is it only the one tank? Because to me it looked like I was holding it at bay while everyone else attacked it. Fun fight though, should have remembered to take Reprisal for the 2 bafk to back big AoE's

Stance swapping kills me more than anything else. Not being able to switch to Deliverance during my Berserk windows without losing moves, and in reverse I can't flick back and use an Inner Beast if needed. Bloodbath and Mercy Stroke hurt, but having Rampart and Anticipation for dungeons help. But the stance swapping completely changes the playstyle.

Steiner

Banned
Played my free trial long, long ago. Got to lvl 11 and stopped.

About to jump into Stormblood Early Access with jump potions, rolling a lvl 60 white mage. How fucked am I, and how confused am I going to be?

Also, I rolled my first character on Diabolos. If that server is overloaded can I make another toon on a different server so my friends can eventually join me? Not meeting any friends and playing alone is what made me lose interest in the first place so this is a priority for me.

gryvan

is it only the tanks that do the button mash segment that holds the blade back? If it is is it only the one tank? Because to me it looked like I was holding it at bay while everyone else attacked it. Fun fight though, should have remembered to take Reprisal for the 2 bafk to back big AoE's
I dont think it matters as long as someone is taking care of the orbs

But a tank is nice since they have the HP to endure accidental damages from orbs

wamberz1

I think the idea is main tank holds the blade, off tank/dps stop balls from exploding on the group, and dps burn the blade. Doesn't have to be tank that holds the blade, its just more health is safer. I did it as monk and it went fine.

scy

Edit: I'd like to take the time to say the instance shard system is really dumb when getting a group into the same instance is the hardest goddamn thing without a convenient manual zone line nearby.

Just the
one tank doing the block itself. The other tank should be popping orbs so the block tank doesn't get hit with orbs

Shahed

I dont think it matters as long as someone is taking care of the orbs

But a tank is nice since they have the HP to endure accidental damages from orbs

I think the idea is main tank holds the blade, off tank/dps stop balls from exploding on the group, and dps burn the blade. Doesn't have to be tank that holds the blade, its just more health is safer. I did it as monk and it went fine.

Just the
one tank doing the block itself. The other tank should be popping orbs so the block tank doesn't get hit with orbs

Cool.
I wasn't sure because both attempts (first wipe, second clear) it was me who blocked it every time so I thought it was fixed. Looking forward to the Extreme version!

iammeiam

Just the

It doesn't have to be a tank.

That WHM was just dumb.

Which you could also tell from them sitting around at full MP doing nothing constantly, then not raising stupid people that got themselves killed, then getting THEMSELVES killed.

Not that I'm bitter.

Cmagus

Just tried something new and it worked!

I logged in using my phone, using its cellular network rather than my home IP address.

Registered my Japanese credit card.

Worked!

(I actually put several months' worth of Crysta on there in anticipation of future trouble. Will the game auto-renew me? Is there a way to pause your sub in these cases?)
Just tried it on my phone at work and it went through. Thanks for the suggestion you're a life saver. Still strange how that managed to work on my works ip but not my home one. Well I'm relieved I was really worried about my account.

scy

It doesn't have to be a tank.

Yeah, they did like ... 10k to me? So pretty survivable. Think each one making it was
a 5s or so reduction on the QTE timer? I just know it get getting dropped in duration the first pull which led to me dropping the sword. I assume for EX it'll be a tank thing, however

iammeiam

Level 63 MSQ question.
How long after the Susanoo primal until you get to the level 63 dungeon?

We got to it before; it's optional. The unlock should be
in one of the aether current quests around that area.

Yeah, they did like ... 10k to me? So pretty survivable. Think each one making it was
a 5s or so reduction on the QTE timer? I just know it get getting dropped in duration the first pull which led to me dropping the sword. I assume for EX it'll be a tank thing, however

I meant the
sword; I tried doing an orb on the first pull when everyone was dying and it didn't go well. The healing on the sword tank is super minimal, though, and who didn't see the DRK wiping us the second time with 'oh I was supposed to click it?' Just have somebody who can hit a button handle it, mostly.

Played my free trial long, long ago. Got to lvl 11 and stopped.

About to jump into Stormblood Early Access with jump potions, rolling a lvl 60 white mage. How fucked am I, and how confused am I going to be?

Also, I rolled my first character on Diabolos. If that server is overloaded can I make another toon on a different server so my friends can eventually join me? Not meeting any friends and playing alone is what made me lose interest in the first place so this is a priority for me.

Eh, I personally would not use a jump potion and learn slowly, but if you do use a jump potion and want to learn how to use your skills slowly, go do Palace of the Dead, it a challenge dungeon that starts you at level one and gives you your skills little by little until you reach lvl 70. And I think those Jump potions only work for one character so make sure you used it on the one you wanna play with.

If your paying the basic sub, that means you can make 1 character per world, so yeah you can make other toons. There is also the option of transferring your toon to another world/server but that costs some money.

Jinko

Just a heads up if you want get past cold steel set your alarm for 4am and do it, was nobody there this morning, otherwise you could be waiting a long time.

Depends how desperate you are I guess lol

Wow, the prices of easily gatherable materials has gone up and sell damn easy. I sold a bunch of rawstar ruby for like 2k a pop and mythrite ore is back uo to 700 apiece. Up from 350-400 before stormblood dropped. I think I'll be spending my time making moolah while everyone is struggling with the MSQs.

Steiner

Banned
Eh, I personally would not use a jump potion and learn slowly, but if you do use a jump potion and want to learn how to use your skills slowly, go do Palace of the Dead, it a challenge dungeon that starts you at level one and gives you your skills little by little until you reach lvl 70. And I think those Jump potions only work for one character so make sure you used it on the one you wanna play with.

If your paying the basic sub, that means you can make 1 character per world, so yeah you can make other toons. There is also the option of transferring your toon to another world/server but that costs some money.

Thanks, I'll look into Palace of the Dead. I'll definitely start a character from the beginning and work through everything, but the jump potions are for coverage I'm doing for my site. I figured a white mage would be valuable for people running raids or dungeons or whatever, and I want to experience some of that.

aka_bueno

I beat 2.0 MSQ during Early Access launch, and proceeded to swap over to Samurai.

I played all day yesterday knocking out the 2.1 patch MSQs and almost all of 2.2 MSQs and still didn't get to level 51.

But I will say this, ARR is trash as far as leveling, questing, and story scenes. I would find it very very hard to recommend a new player get into FFXIV because it's such a terrible experience to go through first, 2.0 base game. 90% of the hundreds and hundreds of mandatory MSQs are fetch or delivery quests. And you get rewarded with the most basic and low budget looking cut scenes. With only a handful being voice acted, and the voice actors are TERRIBLE and the story is not even remotely interesting. Bottom line, I almost quit several times and I'm sure that's a major issue with new players hitting that point and quitting. It's just bad.

But the game is finally turning it around. I don't know if they got new voice actors or something, but the 2.2 (and even some 2.1) is already a HUGE improvement. The animations and production quality of the cut scenes are like 20 times better, unique animations and effects and the characters actually have personality and life to them. And I've already witnessed like double the amount of voice acted cut scenes than the entirety of 2.0 game. And the voice actors are sooo much better. It's night and day almost feels like a different game. The cut scenes are actually interesting and animated with care and effort.

I wish 2.1-2.5? didn't have so many damn MSQs to get through in order to start Heavansward but this at least gives me hope that I don't have to suffer trough 2.0-like questing and story scenes. Ugh.

They seriously need to revamp 2.0 or something for new players.

Wow, the prices of easily gatherable materials has gone up and sell damn easy. I sold a bunch of rawstar ruby for like 2k a pop and mythrite ore is back uo to 700 apiece. Up from 350-400 before stormblood dropped. I think I'll be spending my time making moolah while everyone is struggling with the MSQs.

That's the spirit!

iammeiam

i240 healer hat: 134 def, 234 mdef
i270 healer hat: 137 def, 240 mdef
i279 healer hat: 193 def, 337 mdef

That stat jump

This ALSO explains why it seemed like the 65 dungeon was doing abnormally high damage to the tank maybe.

This
Azim Steppe
day music........ just wow...

It's fantastic. It also resets every time you dismount. I kind of wanted to /afk around to hear the rest of it.

R0ckman

On my server everything has plummeted, I usually undercut because things are sometimes 500% marked up, but it snowballed from there and everything has cheaped out. Sometimes I undercut weapons so I can buy a bunch of them on the cheap and use in leves.

I probably should have unsubbed from Mr. Happy sooner. He got past Raubahn Savage super early and has been posting dungeon videos and I don't even really care to know their names.

Top Bottom