• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Lain

How bad is the lag for European players in the GAF guild? Is it noticeable? Any experience from German players in the GAF guild?

I really consider changing servers, but I'm scared of too massive lag.

Italian player on Ultros here. Noticeable enough for me that moving out of a skill before it goes off can lead to me taking damage anyways, or moving while casting a spell before the spell casting is done won't interrupt the cast from time to time.
For normal stuff the lag isn't too bad but I just restarted playing and I've only been messing around with simple stuff so I dunno if it's still as annoying as it was 3 years ago when to dodge Titan stuff I had to start moving before he even started doing special attacks or he'd still hit me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I still don't understand why the problem is gone on Japanese servers (at least 2, so anecdotal evidence), but not on NA ones.

duckroll

I still don't understand why the problem is gone on Japanese servers (at least 2, so anecdotal evidence), but not on NA ones.

It's not a major problem on every NA server either. It seems all of us on Ultros are shit out of luck, but I have friends on other servers who managed to get through the quests normally yesterday.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I may just wind up taking a week or two off from the game at this point while the MSQ log jam gets sorted out. =\

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Presumably there are fewer players connecting to Japanese servers than to NA ones.
That was my first thought, but I logged in around 10 am, saw a big crowd and a line (same as yesterday when I logged off) - when I logged in 2-3 hours later there was no one around and I did both Cold Steel, Pipin and everything else up to the new zone past Kugane.

While it's highly possible that it has something to do with the number of players, this jump from "super crowded NPC and everyone getting an error" to "no problems" in a span of 2-3 hours on Saturday noon is very confusing.

Bebpo

Banned
If world transfer wasn't such a pain in the ass (take all stuff off MB, destroy room) I'd be tempted to do a server change just to get through these MSQ roadblocks. Ultros seems to be the NA server where the most amount of "gamers" play, and it's just broken.
I stayed up late until the server population was as low as it was gonna get and still couldn't get through. Woke up and still can't get through. Not happy.

individual server doesn't matter, it's across the datacenter.

I don't think this is the case anymore. Across all server instances, sure. But there are clearly servers where people are getting through (no lines etc...) and others aren't which makes it seem server-based.

Yay. I went out an hour ago and before I left I logged in Stormblood hoping it'd be on while I get back. I'm not even half way through the queue. Aha...
I would've been kicked off for idling anyway if I left it on

My RDM is lv57 and I'm enjoying it.
When not queuing

charpunk

I probably should have done all of the heavensward MSQs before this expansion came out. Been queuing forever for the first dungeon.

iammeiam

I thought Undraw was supposed to auto-upgrade to Minor Arcana?

Because it does not, and it makes doing level synced content annoying for no reason.

Yay. I went out an hour ago and before I left I logged in Stormblood hoping it'd be on while I get back. I'm not even half way through the queue. Aha...
I would've been kicked off for idling anyway if I left it on

My RDM is lv57 and I'm enjoying it.
When not queuing

Their idle-kick is super rudimentary and still can be cheated the same way as always: if you're mid-craft, whatever command they use to try to kick you will fail. So you can switch to a crafter, start and not progress a craft (I just carry around a pigment to start a dye), and then afk for as long as you want without getting idle booted.

I mostly use it when waiting for somebody to catch up or something, so I don't get knocked into queue while not doing anything in game.

Lv65 dungeon boss 2 is just... wow.
It's special.
I had a huge grin on my face the entire time.

Y U P

I hope that's a direction they continue down going forward

Their idle-kick is super rudimentary and still can be cheated the same way as always: if you're mid-craft, whatever command they use to try to kick you will fail. So you can switch to a crafter, start and not progress a craft (I just carry around a pigment to start a dye), and then afk for as long as you want without getting idle booted.

I mostly use it when waiting for somebody to catch up or something, so I don't get knocked into queue while not doing anything in game.

I wish I knew this, guess I'll just have to wait...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Can't you just into a wall in your apartment/inn/house (so that no one complains)?
That's what everyone did in Aion, since queues to log in were 2+ hours long for the first few weeks iirc.

You can also just talk to an NPC and leave the dialog box open to defeat the auto-kick

Stand by Rauhban and stay talking to him and no one will know you're AFK, they just think you're waiting to get in the instance

So how do the jump potions work? Do I have to buy them on Square's website? What if I want to use one for the monk job, but I haven't unlocked it yet?

Style

Banned
So how do the jump potions work? Do I have to buy them on Square's website? What if I want to use one for the monk job, but I haven't unlocked it yet?

You don't need to unlock anything, just use the potion and you have monk plus all abilities/job quests done.

Is it important to do Job quests? My WAR is 65 now and I haven't touched them yet since I've been so focused on MSQ

Yes, your final new level 70 skill comes from the Job quest line.

iammeiam

Is it important to do Job quests? My WAR is 65 now and I haven't touched them yet since I've been so focused on MSQ

Eventually, but there's 0 benefit to doing the SB ones while still leveling that I can see. You're going to have to go back and do the last one at 70 to get the skill regardless; the ones before are skip-fodder story-only from what I've seen.

Shahed

Unlocks new abilities for your class, so pretty important.

Yeah job quest is probably priority 1 when it unlocks.

You don't need to unlock anything, just use the potion and you have monk plus all abilities/job quests done.

Yes, your final new level 70 skill comes from the Job quest line.

I was always going to do them at some point. Just wondering since I've been learning abilities without them.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Eventually, but there's 0 benefit to doing the SB ones while still leveling that I can see. You're going to have to go back and do the last one at 70 to get the skill regardless; the ones before are skip-fodder story-only from what I've seen.
They give a lot of xp (190k for the lv 63 one), so it would be a waste to not do them while leveling.

iammeiam

They give a lot of xp (190k for the lv 63 one), so it would be a waste to not do them while leveling.

They're basically 1 MSQ or 2 sidequests of experience; it's nice if you're really close but at least so far dungeon EXP has been pretty good. It's technically a waste, I guess, but there's no reason to drop everything to go do them unless you're super close to a level.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Game runs like butter on my ancient 770 at 1440p. The hell.
From a tech side the game shoots pretty low so it's not super surprising. Texture work is not very high resolution and doesn't even use much blending. World geometry is extremely simple. Hopefully the dev team will take more steps forward in these areas in the future because the game is starting to look somewhat dated.

RK9039

Odin has been pretty good since yesterday evening. This Cold Steel quest I didn't even need to queue for, just went straight to the npc to start the instance.

Top Bottom