• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Omnicent

Been running Shisui of the Violet Tides on SAM. I'm loving SAM more as I run through these dungeons.

I hope I'll enjoy MNK just as much.

wamberz1

Been having surprising luck at just brute forcing the 90k and logging in over and over again.

Got it for the lvl 67 dungeon, tried logging in about 5 times (all gave me 90k) then on the 6th time it booted me back to where I had queued.

...Then 90kd me when I queued again.

Rua

Guess I've hit an MSQ wall.. Getting 90k'd everytime the duty commences for Susano. Time to do some sidequests then.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I love how half the thumbnails on the FFXIV Twitch page are of people waiting in queue to log in. =p

Kremzeek

Square needs to just take all the servers down and fix their broken shit.

This is just torturing their player base.

In the past they would issue a warning that they would be doing maintenance in 30 minutes, take everything offline and attempt to fix the issues.
Leaving everything limping along in this broken state isn't good for anyone.

I remember when the Ifrit trial killed the servers they had that fixed in a few hours. If this keeps up through the week I'll just go back to WoW even though I can't stand Legion.

In the past they would issue a warning that they would be doing maintenance in 30 minutes, take everything offline and attempt to fix the issues.

That's actually what I expected. Emergency maintenance and all that.

aceface

Well. If I remember correctly error 1017 went on for the better part of a week at 2.0 drop. It was a couple of days at least, maybe someone else can confirm. At least with that one, once you got on you could pretty much do everything. I wonder why they don't just pull that this time around.

Alex

I ain't even doing new shiny instances and MSQ, just PotD and old dungeons playing around with RDM and a DRK I haven't leveled yet and I still get thrown out and locked out.

This is worse than ARR because at least in ARR once you got in, it worked.

They should at least make the queues more aggressive because I can get by a 1000 person queue in like...5 minutes but what does it matter when the servers are still swamped and instances can't stay online?

HammerbrolosesMP8.png

got D/C during frontlines and couldn't get in for an hour. Guess i'm doing fates.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Woo! Raun's still fucked on Faerie but people have started carrying players across the wall with 2 seat mounts there as well. Can't quest, but at least I can explore and find aether currents. =)

Anfang

They dont have a fix yet, why take the servers down?

Ok, I'm fucking fed up of this now. SE should just take the servers down and fix it. I mashed on Pipin for the last 2 hours and nothing. I'm done with this crap until they fix it. I'm going to play another game if it isn't fixed tomorrow. I made progress on rdm a bit today and got ast to 62 which took an age. Not even sure how people are level 70 but I guess the dungeons past the broken instances give massive exp. This early access is nothing more than Potd and fates. Oh god.... i'm bored.

And yeah, people on my server were sending a lot of people over the wall but there was really no point in that either. You can't progress unless you get past that stupid lala.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Ok, I'm fucking fed up of this now. SE should just take the servers down and fix it. I mashed on Pipin for the last 2 hours and nothing. I'm done with this crap until they fix it. I'm going to play another game if it isn't fixed tomorrow. I made progress on rdm a bit today and got ast to 62 which took an age. Not even sure how people are level 70 but I guess the dungeons past the broken instances give massive exp. This early access is nothing more than Potd and fates. Oh god.... i'm bored.

And yeah, people on my server were sending a lot of people over the wall but there was really no point in that either. You can't progress unless you get past that stupid lala.

Do you seriously think they wouldn't if they could? It's not like they're sipping sake laughing all the way to the bank right now. It's frustrating but not every fuckup can be dissolved just by the click of a button.

How is the game on PS4? I've been thinking of getting back into FF14.

Also, would it be a dumb idea to buy vanilla 14 and Heavesward without Stormblood? It's going pretty cheap on PSN at the moment, and I don't really want to invest too much money until I'm sure I'm in this for the long haul.

Do you seriously think they wouldn't if they could? It's not like they're sipping sake laughing all the way to the bank right now. It's frustrating but not every fuckup can be dissolved just by the click of a button.

Nope, not for a second... but they really underestimated the pre order access population if servers can't handle this. I mean... didn't stormblood have 3x the budget of Heavensward? Maybe it was a rumour but yeah.

How is the game on PS4? I've been thinking of getting back into FF14.

Also, would it be a dumb idea to buy vanilla 14 and Heavesward without Stormblood? It's going pretty cheap on PSN at the moment, and I don't really want to invest too much money until I'm sure I'm in this for the long haul.

Stormblood includes Heavensward, so there's little point in buying the latter by itself. Just buy ARR alone if you want to dip your toe into the game. (But maybe wait until the current server congestion woes are alleviated.)

iammeiam

They should at least make the queues more aggressive because I can get by a 1000 person queue in like...5 minutes but what does it matter when the servers are still swamped and instances can't stay online?

There are a couple of different kinds of queues--there's the "we literally can't fit anybody else on this server so get in line" kind, and then there's the kind we usually see after disconnects, which is "we can only load so many people in at a time, so we're going to line you all up to feed you through this funnel, and once you're on you can disperse."

A lot of the time the way the queue functions makes me suspect we're seeing a lot of the latter. Additionally, the instances for later zones are almost empty. Like, 1,000+ in The Fringe, Sub-100 in Yanxia. Stuff like that. The problem isn't that the game's full to bursting, it's that it's cramming too many people into specific spaces that can't handle it, and all the instance crap means it's constantly trying to cram wide ranges of people through oddly narrow openings.

Ok, I'm fucking fed up of this now. SE should just take the servers down and fix it. I mashed on Pipin for the last 2 hours and nothing. I'm done with this crap until they fix it. Going to play another game if it isn't fixed tomorrow. I made progress on rdm a bit today and got ast to 62 which took an age.

This is basically what they've been asking for; for people to go away until the congestion clears up, which is basically fixing itself.

There's no easy solve for taking the servers offline and fixing it; my early suggestion was just auto-flag the quests as complete, but I don't think that's viable at this point. They need to build out a mechanism for queueing solo instances, which will take time.

And they absolutely should have realized and done pre-SB, but the impression they give is that they all had 2.0 erased from their memories and they totally didn't think to prepare. They need to present a plan, but everything they've said just indicates that shutting the servers off would help nobody but the first few to log in, and ultimately screw over whoever was in the instances when they shut them down.

Not even sure how people are level 70 but I guess the dungeons past the broken instances give massive exp.

This is depressingly true--so far the EXP curve in SB is way better than in HW, and it's not going to really be noticed because people are getting so much FATE/PVP experience in advance. My initial impression is that leveling alt jobs after the first 70 is going to go pretty quickly, as opposed to HW where it was often The Struggle.

I dunno. Situation sucks, they should all feel bad, but taking the servers offline won't fix anything unless there are more of them when they get turned back on.

Nope, not for a second... but they really underestimated the pre order access population if servers can't handle this. I mean... didn't stormblood have 3x the budget of Heavensward? Maybe it was a rumour but yeah.

This is them saying stuff that's misleading--you aren't stuck at Pipin because too many people bought Stormblood, you're stuck at Pipin because they failed to see what happens when 300 people all clicked Raubahn at the same time. 300 people isn't the problem, 300 people trying to fit through the same door at the same time is. They fucked up, but it's an intersection of the people who bought the expansion and what the expansion encourages them to all do at the exact same time. Certain servers are full, but most of them are just funneling.

And there's been zero proof of the budget thing so I wouldn't count on it.

MechaX

This is basically what they've been asking for; for people to go away until the congestion clears up, which is basically fixing itself.

It's absolutely amazing to me that the Plan A for the team at this point is likely "so most of the player base cannot really access the meat of the expansion? uh.... well, at least we didn't gate RDM and SAM behind the major city, right guys! Go level those. Oh, we have shiny new PvP too, go play that! Oh... you've leveled up the new classes to 60 already. Uh, play mor- Oh, you leveled up to like level 65 and are now getting connection errors. Fuck it, play another game come back after the 20th."

Now the key question is exactly how many people are they expecting to get through these MSQ roadblocks to "clear" congestion in some of these higher population servers. From what I have been hearing, even Ultros has been doing pretty damn good (which is still terrible) compared to the likes of Gilgamesh and Balmung (and any other servers that happen to be connected to their data centers).

And I know that someone out there is going to say "well, most of the people who wanted the game bought it for Early Access and the actual launch shouldn't be too much of an addition," but, I mean, that's still going to be more players than before, and more players that will be shoved into a bottleneck within an hour of game time.

iammeiam

Now the key question is exactly how many people are they expecting to get through these MSQ roadblocks to "clear" congestion in some of these higher population servers. From what I have been hearing, even Ultros has been doing pretty damn good (which is still terrible) compared to the likes of Gilgamesh and Balmung.

My absolute favorite part of the whole thing thusfar has been the addition of the things where you get in, get 90k'd, and then can't get back in until the instance timer expires. Those fascinate me because they imply that somebody somewhere had a whiteboard with, like, estimated needed server to run instances, and estimated needed servers to run the overworld, and both of those boxes got somehow checked, but they forgot to make sure they had a system in place capable of copying the people from worlds to instances in sufficient volume.

Which is literally what they told us the first day, but was so hard to believe they missed something so obvious.

aceface

Wooooow

We have confirmed an issue wherein if “The Pool of Tribute” is completed while progressing in the main story quest “The Lord of the Revel”, an error may be displayed when returning from the content, and users will be unable to log in again.

Our investigation thus far has revealed that this issue occurs when entering “The Pool of Tribute” while performing an emote action. Due to this, we ask that users please finish their emote actions before entering “The Pool of Tribute”.

*So far, our investigation has shown that this issue occurs most often when using the “/sit”, but it can happen with any emote action.

Emote spam literally killing the game. XTECH! SOSUL! ANSWER FOR YOUR CRIMES!

Resubbed, decided to change my character name and because I get really anal and creatively bankrupt when it comes to screen names especially where you must have a first and last name I can probably be occupied with that until they fix things lol

Stuart444

I don't know how this happened but both me and my fiancee had the game crash with an error and the whole application shut down. On different PS4s

That's normally reserved for software crashes rather than server crashes so it's really odd that they both did it at the same time o_O

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I GOT PAST THE 2ND ONE!

FUCK YOU RAUBAHN AND FUCK YOU PIPIN!

MAJOR SPOILER:
And fuck you Square for making me think Y'shtola was dead.

MechaX

My absolute favorite part of the whole thing thusfar has been the addition of the things where you get in, get 90k'd, and then can't get back in until the instance timer expires. Those fascinate me because they imply that somebody somewhere had a whiteboard with, like, estimated needed server to run instances, and estimated needed servers to run the overworld, and both of those boxes got somehow checked, but they forgot to make sure they had a system in place capable of copying the people from worlds to instances in sufficient volume.

Which is literally what they told us the first day, but was so hard to believe they missed something so obvious.

I could see them missing this in ARR, but I find it baffling that someone, somewhere in that dev team likely posted the question "if we have a finite number of instance servers, and a 90k will essentially make a ghost of said character occupy that instance server for it's duration or close to it, what happens if we still manage to run out of room in the instance servers for the general populace in a time of stressed servers like an expansion launch?" and we're still at this outcome. Either the concern never came up somehow, the team thought that what they had was still sufficient, or they do not care and want to let it rock.

All this makes it more and more apparent that HW's design (major city within 3 quests so you have access to hunts, leves, market board, etc, two major areas with two distinct, branching quest lines from the start with very minimal solo instances) was a fluke, as the team obviously did not capitalize on any of the strengths HW had in this regard in it's opening. SB tried to have a "branch" but all roads led back to the Father and the Son.

AXE

On an entirely other note: I'm loving the game and it feels fantastic to be back. No problems in EU... I mean, in the game :|

yami4ct

The instance problems are very, very world specific it seems which I guess isn't too surprising. Could not get into Raubahn for the life of me the first day, but did it that night no issue and easily glided through Pipin today on Cerberus.

sqwarlock

Disconnected during the same god damned solo duty again. Guess I'm waiting 30 minutes again, and now I'm not even sure I'll get to play past this point in the story until they fix this shit.

Top Bottom