• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Main characters and Japanese voice cast revealed

I am late and this thread is already too large for me to read in its entirety, so I apologize if this joke is already made (fear my two minute photoshop skills):

xfnfVIG.png

I'm in tears, thank you <3

Toxi

Banned
They all look too same-y. Visual variety is necessary for individual characters to stand out in a team, and there isn't enough visual variety in those people. Hopefully they don't actually all wear those boring black duds in game, or this would be some of the worst character design in a Final Fantasy game in years.

I'm not asking for some ridiculous technicolor costume ala FF9 or FF13, but would giving a wizard a robe or another guy a helmet be too hard? It's nice to see Square Enix can make different faces with flaws and stuff, now add some personality.

Maybe?

It would definitely be a varied cast. I'd love that, actually.
It would be cool, so it's not going to happen. Can't have those girly types and old man types and hoodie types messing up this wonderful bromance.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That heroin addict skin complexion on some characters looks really silly and out of place.

For once, we have video game protags that don't have prefect flawless faces, and in a mainline FF game of all things.

And you complain?
You picked glam rock, agst band and , techno , over the rapper and the euro alt rock dude they like the best ones.

Nay, my taste is impeccable.

I have no interest in dudebros. And the last dude looks like Justin Timberlake.

Zoe

The two girls have perfect skin.
All the other characters look greasy and have red rings around their eyes.

Given the nature of the character design, i think the girls' "perfect" skins fit the style better.

No, they don't. Look at the HD captures and you can see sunspots and dry skin.

They're dressed so snappy (I like Cor's look the best though). Just your everyday Yakuza-esque-royal-court-J-Pop-boy-band off to save the world and the crystals.

The two girls have perfect skin.
All the other characters look greasy and have red rings around their eyes.

Given the nature of the character design, i think the girls' "perfect" skins fit the style better.

I think the difference you're seeing is that the girls are wearing makeup and the men aren't.

Village

For once, we have video game protags that don't have prefect flawless faces, and in a mainline FF game of all things.

And you complain?

Nay, my taste is impeccable.

I have no interest in dudebros.

How you know rapper dude a dude bro, maybe he just works out. Maybe he is really into video games , maybe he is a neogaf member he probably posted above me. :p

Also how you can hate alt euro rock band dude, he could make songs that may or may not have a point but it sounds nice so you enjoy it.

UrbanRats

And you complain?
Uh? I have no problem with it in the likes of Silent Hill or whatever, i just think they don't fit here, from what i've seen of the game.

No, they don't. Look at the HD captures and you can see sunspots and dry skin.
Compared to the other characters, they do.

I think the difference you're seeing is that the girls are wearing makeup and the men aren't.

I'm sure that's part of it.
Noctis (for example) still looks quite exaggerated, especially the eyes area.
Maybe he can't sleep very well.

HeelPower

Doesn't the fact that the characters have VAs imply that they are fairly well into development ? Isn't Voicing characters like one of the things that come way later into development and kind of at the bottom of the priority list ?

Hopefully its sooner to release than it seems.

Voror

If the whole battle summons to acquire them sticks from Versus when Nomura said that, then it will be fun to see how other summon battles are.

That could truly be an amazing thing to be able to do, though I wonder how summons would really work. I mean, unless you are fighting an enemy of gigantic power or proportions, then summoning Leviathan seems like overkill.

Cast seems alright, but it won't be duel audio so it doesn't matter too much to me. Unless I import, which I've never done with a console game. It'd probably depend on how big of a gap we'd be seeing between Japan and the rest of the world. I get the feeling it won't be a huge one myself.

dramatis

Doesn't the fact that the characters have VAs imply that they are fairly well into development ? Isn't Voicing characters like one of the things that come way later into development and kind of at the bottom of the priority list ?

They had VAs two years ago.

UrbanRats

The 2009 demo was also voiced, though.

well, you have to have the VA recorded and locked down in order to do lip sync in the cut scenes and I assume this game will have a lot of cut scenes so... it's pretty high priority.

Why has Final Fantasy completely negated interesting creature type characters in their games?

Just humans now. I always enjoyed the aspect of the different species in the Final Fantasy world, its been killed for a while now.

Zoe

Why has Final Fantasy completely negated interesting creature type characters in their games?

Just humans now. I always enjoyed the aspect of the different species in the Final Fantasy world, its been killed for a while now.

Since XIV, you mean? Or XII, which isn't that long ago relatively when you consider the XIII concepts date back to 2006.

After Barrett and Sazh? Probably the lesser evil.

Huh? There was nothing wrong with Sazh. He was the best character in FF13 by a green country mile. That doesn't say much, but in terms of portraying a black dude in a Final Fantasy they pretty much nailed it with him. Aside from that folksy theme he had *cringes*

Persona86

Banned
Wait, where did i say they look like you?
Also, i actually think Noctis looks Asian, not white, same for the blond dude.

Most of Nomura's charactes look like a blend of Asian/Euro IMO.

But I think Pronto could easily pass as 100% Japanese or Korean with dyed hair.

akaoni

Banned
Are the female characters not going to be 'main characters'? It'll put a serious damper on things if we've regressed to shitty shounen manga settings where women are only capable of looking the part while being useless for battle, I mean I don't recall seeing any of them fighting from what we've seen so far? I'll be happy to be shown something to the contrary, otherwise they need to have a serious think about fixing this.

Zoe

Are the female characters not going to be 'main characters'? It'll put a serious damper on things if we've regressed to shitty shounen manga settings where women are only capable of looking the part while being useless for battle, I mean I don't recall seeing any of them fighting from what we've seen so far? I'll be happy to be shown something to the contrary, otherwise they need to have a serious think about fixing this.

Stella fights Noctis at one point, and there's a female dragoon as a boss.

HeelPower

there are plenty of shounen with empowering females. Claymore , Attack on Titan(mikasa) , and many more really.Wait wrong thread lol

Square Enix put female characters on the fore front for an entire generation of the dude bro era.I think we really can't complain about this. Stella and the other girl could be great for all we know.

Persona86

Banned
I'm sure that's part of it.
Noctis (for example) still looks quite exaggerated, especially the eyes area.
Maybe he can't sleep very well.

I think he's going for the harsh light look. Not many people look perfect in harsh light. Celebrities not only look good because of makeup, but lighting is VERY important too. I'm sure you have noticed how different you look in different lights? Based on this I'm sure they will appear to have perfect skin in different lighting.

I personally love the imperfect skin, especially under the eye, makes them seem more human, cooler even, humans who can suffer and experience damage just like us.

dramatis

I don't think shitty shounen manga settings where women walk around with the guise of power but dress in male-pandering clothes and do male-pandering poses and have no real personal character are that much better, but you seem absolutely fine with Lightning Returns.

What have you actually seen of the female characters in 15 anyway? Jumping to conclusions so quickly?

UrbanRats

I personally love the imperfect skin, especially under the eye, makes them seem more human, cooler even, humans who can suffer and experience damage just like us.
I think it's at odds with the idolized, glamorous style they seem to go for.
Maybe there's a reason behind it, though i don't get why they still keep the females as "perfect looking", then.

I really should know more about the story, to give a more concrete opinion, though.

So I just realized something that made me do a double take.

Cor Leonis = Cor Leones = Cor Leone = Corleone.

So the main characters of the Godfather movies have been named Lionheart this whole time and I didn't even notice? I am apparently a terrible film nerd.

Or just a terrible Italian.

Zoe

Maybe there's a reason behind it, though i don't get why they still keep the females as "perfect looking", then.

Putting quotes around "perfect looking" doesn't really change the fact that they are not perfect either.

Go_Ly_Dow

I actually think the other old dude (not the white robe one) is the ruler of one of the other nations they mention in the trailer. Looks to decorated to simply be another general.

Also on the subject of Amano, Nomura said many many years ago that Versus would feature in-game Amano art throughout the game. Hope that is still the case.

akaoni

Banned
Stella fights Noctis at one point, and there's a female dragoon as a boss.

Thanks, but is it gameplay? And I'm thinking more of the problem with who's playable from our side of things.

there are plenty of shounen with empowering females. Claymore , Attack on Titan(mikasa) , and many more really.Wait wrong thread lol

Square Enix put female characters on the fore front for an entire generation of the dude bro era.I think we really can't complain about this. Stella and the other girl could be great for all we know.

I think the point of Claymore was to potray the other extreme to be honest. I guess by my use of shitty shounen I refer to the most popular ones such as One Piece and Naruto. Females exist, they can do a few things, have important roles on paper, but when it comes to the nitty gritty they don't 'really' fight, it's usually more of a minor catfight or some weak desperate defence, the fighting/difficult stuff is left for the real men (and 14 year old boys).

I don't think shitty shounen manga settings where women walk around with the guise of power but dress in male-pandering clothes and do male-pandering poses and have no real personal character are that much better, but you seem absolutely fine with Lightning Returns.

What have you actually seen of the female characters in 15 anyway? Jumping to conclusions so quickly?

I've nothing against including eye candy, that however becomes a problem when you're sitting with what more or less boils to being an all-male shounen manga cast at your disposal.

I was looking for answers, not making assertations, I don't want my fears be true. I don't understand where you're going with the LR reference if you want to expand on it.

Persona86

Banned

I really should know more about the story, to give a more concrete opinion, though.

Young women tend to have great skin + makeup, skincare etc. I don't know lol.

dramatis

I think the point of Claymore was to potray the other extreme to be honest. I guess by my use of shitty shounen I refer to the most popular ones such as One Piece and Naruto. Females exist, they can do a few things, have important roles on paper, but when it comes to the nitty gritty they don't 'really' fight, it's usually more of a minor catfight or some weak desperate defence, the fighting/difficult stuff is left for the real men (and 14 year old boys).

I've nothing against including eye candy, that however becomes a problem when you're sitting with what more or less boils to being an all-male shounen manga cast at your disposal.

I was looking for answers, not making assertations, I don't want my fears be true. I don't understand where you're going with the LR reference if you want to expand on it.
The men are eye candy for the female audience and possibly some guys who think they look cool. You don't have a problem with Lightning being the only playable character in LR, so what's so wrong about having an all-male group of playable characters? At least you can play more than one.

You're staggering around calling One Piece and Naruto shitty shounen, with unfavorable writing for the female characters, but honestly is a girl dressed in cosplay nonsense, with sexy animations pandering to you (judging by your avatar you have no problem with it) running around beating other people up is any sort of a better portrayal? It isn't.

What it boils down to is the portrayal of a female character, not whether or not you can play her. Playing a character doesn't make a difference. Vanille is quite useful in combat, but her portrayal was atrocious.

akaoni

Banned
The men are eye candy for the female audience and possibly some guys who think they look cool. You don't have a problem with Lightning being the only playable character in LR, so what's so wrong about having an all-male group of playable characters? At least you can play more than one.

You're staggering around calling One Piece and Naruto shitty shounen, with unfavorable writing for the female characters, but honestly is a girl dressed in cosplay nonsense, with sexy animations pandering to you (judging by your avatar you have no problem with it) running around beating other people up is any sort of a better portrayal? It isn't.

What it boils down to is the portrayal of a female character, not whether or not you can play her. Playing a character doesn't make a difference. Vanille is quite useful in combat, but her portrayal was atrocious.

Lightning Returns has 1 central character you take the role as, while my fear for FFXV is it is becoming a game where you play as 5 strong male characters roughing everything up, getting dirty, getting beaten by giant enemies while their female counterparts are more or less minor to the point of irrelevance - based on what I've been seeing from this latest E3 material. I am asking for strong playable female characters with a heavy presence, this is a party based game where I feel they should do so.

I know what the problem I'm talking about is, if I'm staggering then it might be my fault for not explaining well enough. Perhaps if you're not familiar with these 2 particular shounen series or you don't think there's a problem with their portrayals, then I'm not sure what I can say outside what I stated already. I'm not talking about the physical appearances of female characters specifically, and I apologise if I have not made that clear enough.

You'll have to speak for yourself on that last part. Having a strong playable female character at your disposal can make all the difference compared to the image of the game I'm taking issue with based on what I've seen with E3 and this thread.

UrbanRats

Putting quotes around "perfect looking" doesn't really change the fact that they are not perfect either.
Perfect looking skin to you means weirdly airbrushed or what?
Compare it to Noctis' and the others', it's basically flawless.

It having some textures and pores doesn't make imperfect.
Young women tend to have great skin + makeup, skincare etc. I don't know lol.
Young men who are very keen to take care of their appearance (and someone with Noctis' hair clearly does) uses skincare products too.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I can imagine the dark haired girl being a complete badass bitch and literally stepping on Prompto.

Vitor Navarrete

Neo Member
I think I liked old Stella better, best female design for the entire series so far, but I need to see new Stella in game to conclude if her visual really sucks or just sucks a little.

Top Bottom