• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Philia

I've finally pushed ahead for the story and platinumed it.

My recipe for Prime Garula Rib glitched weeks ago and I didn't realize it so I couldn't really... "complete" it outside of platinum. Shame though. Just a heads up to anyone who is trying to do the same thing. Apparently I should had reloaded it when I realize his "I got a recipe" didn't pop back then but I was buying all sorts of thing at that shop.

Anyway anyway, I finally get the gripe about chapter 13.
Its kinda out of nowhere and in a way it meant to make you go through a slog to really come out more experienced as a character (since you've your companions for so long) for story purposes. And of course I definitely saw that they've skipped a lot of backstory scenes that could had benefitted (mostly of what was going on in the empire) here. But they instead lazily laid it out in papers and let the traitor spell it out for you. Basically the whole back and purpose of the story in the nutshell RIGHT HERE in this damn chapter. :\ In a way while it is a slog, its actually easier for me to grasp everything that was being said and going on in the papers and feel empathy for the empire for losing so much due to this asshole. What I don't like is him just toying with you the whole time until you finally get your guys back. They definitely should had done that chapter wayyy better and at least separate it in parts for better story purposes.

To those that had issues following the story, I don't know what to tell you. It was the easiest FF story for me to grasp. I had subtitles on due to my being deaf and I had english VA on to support the flow for me to grasp on screen due to my hearing impairment. That said english VA is serviceable except for Prompto. I really hate his VA. "DO WE HAVE TO WALK?" YES you bastard, yes you do.

EDIT: Also, all those missing scenes from your guys being missing from the party? Are they part of the DLC of the season pass?

Finally finished it. I really like most of it, even the general gist of the story, but I just wished the characters spoke like actual human beings. The actual dialogue was horrendous at times, and made the characters less believable. But I don't know, maybe that's just Final Fantasy. Again though, very solid game, and I really enjoyed it. Now onto the post-game!

Started this game over the weekend. Only a few hours in but I'm pretty overwhelmed. I dont really understand how the battle or magic and stuff works. I also cant seem to get to warp points during battles either. I press the button, I lock in but nothing happens. I wish there were more tutorials or better explanations for all the various systems. When should I be eating? Does it matter if I eat at camp the night before or at a restaurant during daytime?

As for the story, its hard to feel invested in it since a lot of the tension and drama is lifted every time you camp or stay overnight someplace. Like Noct is sad but then they're all shooting the shit taking selfies so I dont know whats up. Doesnt help that cutscenes feel jumbled together as well. At this point I dont really care about the storyline.

I dont like the old retro American aesthetic either but I do appreciate just how big this world is. The opening section was pretty mundane but driving to Listallum was pertty awesome. This Cleigne area is really gorgeous and I had a lot of fun just exploring. Not a fan of running out of stamina quickly however.

Overall I am enjoying it so far. The world is pretty lovely and there's a lot of charm in going on a roadtrip with your best buds in a fantasy world. I spent a few hours just running around finding camp grounds and eating food. It's a little weird sometimes though.

Like you should have this urgency to get places because of the storyline but then you just fuck around and everyone is having a blast but you still have this nagging feeling that you should be doing the main quest so you can't truly enjoy fucking around. I think it would have been better if the storyline was much less serious and focused more on 4 dudes going on a trip because they just felt like it.

jennetics

Just platinumed the game. Super fun!...except for the last trophy I needed (royal arms).

Costlemark Tower was the final one. What a pain in the ass. Not only was the dungeon itself annoying, the camera glitched during the moving blocks "puzzle", leaving me with no ability to move the camera with the right thumbstick. Couldn't even R1 to center myself. I had to fight 3-4 rounds of red giants, flans, and nagini's with no camera control. Even using party techniques would just temporarily freeze my character and then continue on.

Was seriously about to hurl the controller, especially since you have to constantly hit the "proceed" button on the blocks and I couldn't see where I was going at all.

Made it through while gritting my teeth and platinumed the game. Left the dungeon...camera starts working like normal.

jennetics

qiWyM2j.png

What the hell Gladio.

♪ ♫ And darling, darlinnggg stand...by me! ♩ ♬ ♭

Jakoo

Hey guys,

So I don't own FFXV as of yet because I was concerned about playing an "incomplete" version of the game upon launch.

From my best estimates, it seems like they still have a road map where they are patching in particular fixes, including story related fixes.

What are your guys thoughts? For those that have played it, do you think it's worth waiting for the "complete" version of the experience after all of the promised patches have come through? Or is the game in it's current state satisfactory to the point where all of that can be disregarded?

Also, is there any sense if there will be a "Complete" edition of this game? I waited for The Witcher 3 Complete edition and found that to be my preferred method of consuming the game.

MogCakes

Also, is there any sense if there will be a "Complete" edition of this game? I waited for The Witcher 3 Complete edition and found that to be my preferred method of consuming the game.

If you mean a version with all DLC on it, maybe, but this is Square Enix we're talking about.

renzolama

Man that hurts.

Another headache?

This is not normal.

I feel so sluggish...

Seriously though, the banter is starting to really drive me up the wall after 50+ hours. I was doing one of the obnoxious pixel hunting quests earlier and shadow the hedgehog told me how sluggish he was three times over the course of about five minutes. Once they start repeating constantly it dives into Dragons Dogma territory quickly. It wouldn't be quite so bad if half of the random banter wasn't someone complaining about being tired/hungry/etc. More than once I've found myself saying "stop fucking whining"

jennetics

Hey guys,

So I don't own FFXV as of yet because I was concerned about playing an "incomplete" version of the game upon launch.

From my best estimates, it seems like they still have a road map where they are patching in particular fixes, including story related fixes.

What are your guys thoughts? For those that have played it, do you think it's worth waiting for the "complete" version of the experience after all of the promised patches have come through? Or is the game in it's current state satisfactory to the point where all of that can be disregarded?

I was contemplating not finishing the game and waiting for those patches but ended up beating the game anyways. I would recommend playing through it now and then starting a NG+ whenever the patches come through. I honestly think it's fun enough for a second run-through, even with the problems. That said, if you're only wanting one playthrough and a "complete" version of the game, I would suggest waiting. If not, man just play it now. Plenty o' fun :)

Edit: plenty of problems...but still plenty of fun :)

Ambitious

Question about the story. Spoilers up to the beginning of chapter 11:
So, in order to prevent the Starscourge, which is apparently an eternal night, Noctis has to gain the favor of the six gods. And Luna, the Oracle is supposed to help him with that. Right?

At the beginning of chapter 11, Ignis states that the empire has already slain three of the Astrals. So.. Shiva, Ifrit and Bahamut are dead? How is Noctis supposed to save the world, then? And why would the empire do that anyway? Why would Niflheim want the Starscourge to happen?
I'm just a few minutes into chapter 11 (still in the train), so please don't include any spoilers from later in the game.

Twookie

So, in order to prevent the Starscourge, which is apparently an eternal night, Noctis has to gain the favor of the six gods. And Luna, the Oracle is supposed to help him with that. Right?

At the beginning of chapter 11, Ignis states that the empire has already slain three of the Astrals. So.. Shiva, Ifrit and Bahamut are dead? How is Noctis supposed to save the world, then? And why would the empire do that anyway? Why would Niflheim want the Starscourge to happen?
I'm just a few minutes into chapter 11 (still in the train), so please don't include any spoilers from later in the game.

play more of the game and you will get your answer

not sure about the niflheim thing though, can't remember

Minamu

Are there any easily/commonly missed hunts? I'm in the last chapter and I have 5 missing points to the last rank. Did I do them all and just need to kill the
special boss
? I can't find any hidden hunts :/

sackninja

Most of your questions are just answered by keeping playing. But I believe the idea is that the empire has "Killed" Leviathan and Titan at this point.

During my 70 hours in the game (LVL62) I never switched Noctis weapon from Greatsword.

Anyone else never used Straight Swords/ Daggers? They seem kind of worthless, no?

neoism

Nope.

Exact place but use Shield of the Just.

Just warp hit the enemy and you'll kill them all in one hit. Much much faster.

lol sorry i really didn't watch the vid... but yeah the shield of the just is what im using because you can kill them all at the same time...... I getting like 700+ ap an hour depending on how im focused or not.

GeeTeeCee

I just finished Chapter 13. Yeah, I can see why it isn't liked.

Luckily, being hilariously over-levelled takes a fair amount of the sting out of it. That, and absolutely refusing to
partake in the abysmal "stealth" sections. It's like the design brief for the chapter was just "make it like Alien Isolation, but shit"

It was just a bit of an overlong slog, taking up time that could have been better spent fleshing out some of the chapters that came before it.

At least it's over now.

Gui_PT

lol sorry i really didn't watch the vid... but yeah the shield of the just is what im using because you can kill them all at the same time...... I getting like 700+ ap an hour depending on how im focused or not.

Yeah and if you equipt AP item you'll get an extra point every now and then

is the Shield of Just a Royal Arms weapon?

Yes it is. It has an aoe effect so if you warp strike it'll just kill all the enemies instantly

Edit: I am aware that "aoe effect" doesn't really make sense =(

MogCakes

This game sorely needs a hard mode. Make one for people who are lv99 with the best gear and pull no punches. Maybe in the future give us more human enemies? Thinking on it Aranea is the only human boss we actually get to duel with.

Have some cool pictures I took via Xbox.
I've never seen weather like this but it resulted in the characters going like "*Cough* WTF is this"?
It was really flipping dusty. Anyway, here are some cool pictures from that event.

JayEH

Phew beat the final sealed dungeon (wasn't too bad actually) and did Angler's Nightmare (barely caught the fish with only 200 left on my reel). I've done most of the main content in the game so far but I can't stop playing, just going through hunts now.

Ambitious

play more of the game and you will get your answer

not sure about the niflheim thing though, can't remember

Most of your questions are just answered by keeping playing. But I believe the idea is that the empire has "Killed" Leviathan and Titan at this point.

Thanks.
I assumed that I might not have payed attention during some key cutscene and missed crucial plot information, so it's good to hear that this is still to be explained.

Spoilers up to chapter 12.
Leviathan and Titan? That's what I thought at first, but that doesn't make any sense, does it? Noctis defeated them. Wait a minute.. I have a feeling this has something to do with Ardyn's abilities. I didn't understand what he meant to imply at the end of chapter 12, but there's clearly some kind of connection between him and Noctis. Can't put my finger on it, though. He's immortal, he says. He's been following Noctis all the time, presumably manipulating him somehow. Is he a messenger like Gentiana? But considering Gentiana's real identity, the question whether "messengers" actually exist arises.
You know what? Don't reply to this post. I'm just thinking out loud. I will have my answers soon enough.

At the beginning of chapter 13 now. I'm gonna call it a day, and tomorrow I'll see what the fuss is about.

Minamu

Are there any easily/commonly missed hunts? I'm in the last chapter and I have 5 missing points to the last rank. Did I do them all and just need to kill the
special boss
? I can't find any hidden hunts :/
Bump. Anyone know about this? As far as I know, I have no stars to collect as there are no more hunts to fight. Do you get points from the spoilered stuff?

Adaren

This game sorely needs a hard mode. Make one for people who are lv99 with the best gear and pull no punches. Maybe in the future give us more human enemies? Thinking on it Aranea is the only human boss we actually get to duel with.

The Chapter 13 boss as well.

In general, the humanoid enemies (namely the MTs) tend to be much better about telegraphing their attacks than the beast enemies you fight, so that alone makes them more fun.

knitoe

Bump. Anyone know about this? As far as I know, I have no stars to collect as there are no more hunts to fight. Do you get points from the spoilered stuff?
There are exactly enough hunts / star rewards to reach lvl10. As for unlocking more hunts, they are linked to your character lvl, and maybe, not sure, some are only available after finishing the main story.

Hard mode would be cool, but it also needs much faster AP gain *and* a bunch of new Ascension nodes. I think the three Fanfare accessories really ought to be available instead for like 10-18-24 AP right from the start instead of being accessories; likewise for the Friendship Band effect, the Megaphone/Black Belt/Camera Strap/Target Scope/Black Hood/Ring of Resistance/Stamina Badge effects, and shit like Magic Limit Break and Break HP Limit.

Just, like, raise the cap on how powerful my party can get and crank the shit out of the enemy difficulty.

I finished the game, and what I think is most if not all of the post game content. I think I can say I actually liked it and enjoyed the game for what it was, FFXV. However I probably would have enjoyed it more if I didn't know what it was supposed to be, Versus XIII. I think most people can say the same because this is a solid game, bar the execution after chapter nine.

Blizzje

The pro patch is not coming anytime soon, is it? I wish they had not announced it.

Looks like they can't fix the engine bugs (frame pacing) on high and are just brute forcing it on Lite @1080p. The pro is capable of so much more. Shame that even HexaDrive couldn't get the issues fixed.

Without fixes for the frame-pacing issues on High, I'm not going to start a New Game+, so looks like I'm done with the game. Was looking forward to grabbing the season pass too, but probably will not bother. I feel they are prioritizing fixing / updating the wrong things.

RiggyRob

King Regis has fallen!

The CGI in the cutscene is incredible, although it was hard to follow at points - the cutting betweens scenes was extremely choppy.

Also tested out the Masamune a bit - it's nice, wasn't really expecting it to be a greatsword but that does make sense as it's huge. Can it be upgraded at all? Otherwise it seems a bit weak.

Interfectum

So I'm still on chapter 3 and I'm level 32. I think I may have gone a little crazy with the side quests. Have I completely overleveled myself for the story? lol

Top Bottom