• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Minamu

There are exactly enough hunts / star rewards to reach lvl10. As for unlocking more hunts, they are linked to your character lvl, and maybe, not sure, some are only available after finishing the main story.
Do you know if the special boss gives you stars?

KRaZyAmmo

So I'm still on chapter 3 and I'm level 32. I think I may have gone a little crazy with the side quests. Have I completely overleveled myself for the story? lol
Don't worry i was like thay too. Although i think it helps more if you stronger weapons then it's a cakewalk over the intended level.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just finished chapter 13.

WHAT THE FUCK was that.

And I'll preface it to say I had no problem with the idea behind the
ringmechanic or the fact that you temporarily had to run at the beginningThe spells could have definitely been more varied. They could have even had you regain your power little by little
. A main reason I didn't have a problem with it was that I
completely ignored the hiding mechanic since I realized holy blocking would kill the magitek soldiers anyway.

But why the fuck did they make it so long and boring? Like holy shit it kept on going on and on and on. The thing should have ended at the part when you first reach the central elevator.
Ravus' corpse
should have been there with the
sword.
Picking up that could have triggered a boss fight with a daemon, and then you could take the central elevator up
meeting back up with your friends.

I was in disbelief, but was half expecting fuckery, when the
giant smacks you down to the bottom floor.

That Foras enemy you couldn't kill until later on pissed me off too. Wanted to make sure I didn't miss any items (possible missables) and the thing was a stalking asshole.

Chapter 14 spoilers

Did not expect the time skip to work out like that. OMG at seeing older Talcott. Oh man at the slight differences in the main crew. Man the world of ruin is fucked.

Astral

I still can't get over how terribly pointless the Pitioss Dungeon was. Three hours of my life gone. All that sleep I could've had gone. All to get a bunch of oracle coins and the fucking Black Hood. Who the fuck actually uses this thing? It's so useless.

KRaZyAmmo

I still can't get over how terribly pointless the Pitioss Dungeon was. Three hours of my life gone. All that sleep I could've had gone. All to get a bunch of oracle coins and the fucking Black Hood. Who the fuck actually uses this thing? It's so useless.
Is that longest dungeon in the game and is there at least a resting spot becuase fuck that's long.

Minamu

I might do it tonight or tomorrow, but I saw on youtube that it's possible to speedrun it in just 2 minutes apparently? Didn't check the video though, spoilers obviously.

I must say though, even though I haven't entered it yet, I really loved its location and how you can see the building in the distance. I was there in the afternoon and stupidly went to sleep nearby, didn't know it was a night only thing, but that area after landing with the enemies was bloody perfection from a level design perspective to me. Amazing.

Astral

Is that longest dungeon in the game and is there at least a resting spot becuase fuck that's long.

Absolutely no rest spots. There are no enemies. It's a really long series of elaborate and terrible platforming puzzles. I can't count how many times I got fucked over by Noctis' stupid fucking auto roll when he falls. It starts out really cool but it just goes on and on and eventually gets unbearable.

I might do it tonight or tomorrow, but I saw on youtube that it's possible to speedrun it in just 2 minutes apparently? Didn't check the video though, spoilers obviously.

I must say though, even though I haven't entered it yet, I really loved its location and how you can see the building in the distance. I was there in the afternoon and stupidly went to sleep nearby, didn't know it was a night only thing, but that area after landing with the enemies was bloody perfection from a level design perspective to me. Amazing.

It can be beaten extremely quick with a few tricks and specific aerial attacks from some royal arms and weapons from what I understand. It lets you skip a bunch of shit. I didn't know about this till I beat it though. I felt so many different emotions while playing it. Wonder, admiration, anger, horror, frustration, confusion, denial, desperation, agony. I was as impressed as I was infuriated. It's undoubtedly a fascinating dungeon.

So I stumble upon some Military Base and lo & behold I exit with 3x Magitek Armor (+1000 HP, +80 VIT).

What the fuck?!?

Crazy battles inside!!!

What else... LVL72, Chapter 8, 76 hours in. Did all possible Hunts (all Rank 7 ones), waiting to go to Altissia to unlock Rank 8 and *gulp* 3x Ganymedes hunt, which sounds scary af!!!

Hardest enemy in the game so far: Necromancer. Always manages to kill me no matter my level. 3 of them = dead, dead, dead, dead.

Fuck the Rainbow Frogs quest and the Griffon Feather quest - tried 10 times until it dropped. Nightmarish flashbacks of Anor Londo stairs from Dark Souls 3 :''''''''''''''''''''''(

Astral

How long is Chapter 14?

Any missables or something I should look out for?

Nope just go beat the game, watch the nice ending, and go back to the fun open world. You have like maybe a couple hours left max. You can always go back to it later. Now that I remember there's a missable weapon but the enemy that you have to kill for it is like level 80.

MogCakes

It can be beaten extremely quick with a few tricks and specific aerial attacks from some royal arms and weapons from what I understand. It lets you skip a bunch of shit. I didn't know about this till I beat it though. I felt so many different emotions while playing it. Wonder, admiration, anger, horror, frustration, confusion, denial, desperation, agony. I was as impressed as I was infuriated. It's undoubtedly a fascinating dungeon.

I love Pitioss for that reason. As an endgame secret dungeon its reward is the completion of it, the Black Hood is just a bonus. Plus it looks crazy.

Levels for story events don't matter, but I used the Nyxperience band to stay around level 40 which was fine for all of the dungeons before the post-game.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The leveling thing in this game is weird. Some enemies you'll seem way overpowered against and others you'll be a much higher level than them and they still seem like a damage sponge.

Also that Costlemark dungeon was no joke. I went in thinking I would have been a high enough level, might have been 60, and I got a couple of rooms in and nope'd myself out.

GeeTeeCee

I finished the story tonight. It's very definitely a flawed game, but I enjoyed it overall.

I'll probably give it a day or two before I dive into the post game content, but it's encouraging that 60 or so hours later I'm still happy to keep playing. I haven't spent this much time on a game since The Witcher 3, so FFXV is in good company.

Gui_PT

I know. I wasn't being serious.

26xBNQSXXgVlECJP2.gif

The leveling thing in this game is weird. Some enemies you'll seem way overpowered against and others you'll be a much higher level than them and they still seem like a damage sponge.

Also that Costlemark dungeon was no joke. I went in thinking I would have been a high enough level, might have been 60, and I got a couple of rooms in and nope'd myself out.
What I'm thinking is that the major benefit of leveling up is increasing your general resilience (vit, spr, and hp), which makes a huge difference in general fights but less so against instant death moves, like what Necromancers have.

For example, when Red Giants would grab me, when I was low level, they'd squeeze for hundreds of damage pet tick, whereas now it's double digits, and I have more HP on top of that.

The 9999 damage cap can't be overemphasized as a huge cap on what you're capable of, too. Taking away the damage limit on link strikes makes a HUUUUGE difference in terms of how fast you can put away deadly enemies. You hit 9999 damage with magic REALLY fast, and that issue is... less easy to remedy.

The Black Hood's a perfectly useful accessory too, honestly. Fuck the haters. Should be available as a 999 AP Ascension node though.

WarAdept

Just beat the last Menace dungeon (Costlemark) and
Adamantoise, the last remaining hunt.

Probably the most unfun endgame content of any FF. The Menace dungeons are an absolute slog of copy-paste environments and just general boringness.
Even the twist of Menace Costlemark not letting you use items didn't really add anything special, only used ~10 Healcasts and smashed through it all.

Adamantoise itself was severely disappointing. You're basically mashing warp strike/Overwhelm for 15 mins without any thought.

Just the Secret Dungeon left.

Xeteh

I swear, I don't get the difficulty in this game. If enemies swarm constantly I'm getting destroyed, there was a level 12 bounty that I did at level 18 that I nearly died to twice because there was never a safe time to attack. The drops of soldiers that happen randomly on the field in Chapter 3 just annihilate me because they don't stop attacking. I've got to be doing something wrong.

renzolama

Should I be growing to hate the other party members as part of the story after chapter 9? There was a moment earlier today when, over the span of 15 seconds, I heard from Gladio

"Slow down - think of others!"
"Hurry up - there's no time to waste!"
"Don't run ahead!"

I think that
watching Ignis swing his cane feebly at enemies and fall down
is supposed to hit me emotionally, but at this point I just found myself giggling. Is the game intentionally building animosity, or have I just hit a turning point in my journey towards evil?

WarAdept

I swear, I don't get the difficulty in this game. If enemies swarm constantly I'm getting destroyed, there was a level 12 bounty that I did at level 18 that I nearly died to twice because there was never a safe time to attack. The drops of soldiers that happen randomly on the field in Chapter 3 just annihilate me because they don't stop attacking. I've got to be doing something wrong.

Exploit the invicibility frames of Warp Strike. So Warp Strike to target and as the animation is playing out, rotate your camera so that a Warp Point is highlighted and hold Triangle.

Noctis will immediately go to the Warp Point after finishing the Warp Strike anim with no window of being able to be hit.

Rinse and repeat.

You can cheese all encounters by doing this as long as there is a Warp Point.

Should I be growing to hate the other party members as part of the story after chapter 9? There was a moment earlier today when, over the span of 15 seconds, I heard from Gladio

"Slow down - think of others!"
"Hurry up - there's no time to waste!"
"Don't run ahead!"

I think that
watching Ignis swing his cane feebly at enemies and fall down
is supposed to hit me emotionally, but at this point I just found myself giggling. Is the game intentionally building animosity, or have I just hit a turning point in my journey towards evil?

Story and characters turn to shit from this point on. One character especially.

Xeteh

Exploit the invicibility frames of Warp Strike. So Warp Strike to target and as the animation is playing out, rotate your camera so that a Warp Point is highlighted and hold Triangle.

Noctis will immediately go to the Warp Point after finishing the Warp Strike anim with no window of being able to be hit.

Rinse and repeat.

You can cheese all encounters by doing this as long as there is a Warp Point.

The bounty I'm talking about had zero warp points. I couldn't even take cover because they just wouldn't stop attacking me.

WarAdept

The bounty I'm talking about had zero warp points. I couldn't even take cover because they just wouldn't stop attacking me.

Which hunt? You can cheese your way underlevelled at the beginning of the game with magic if you desire.

99 element + Milk (you can buy this from the Car for 10 gil a piece) will give Dualcast. Instant 19998 damage.

Astral

Just beat the last Menace dungeon (Costlemark) and
Adamantoise, the last remaining hunt.

Probably the most unfun endgame content of any FF. The Menace dungeons are an absolute slog of copy-paste environments and just general boringness.
Even the twist of Menace Costlemark not letting you use items didn't really add anything special, only used ~10 Healcasts and smashed through it all.

Adamantoise itself was severely disappointing. You're basically mashing warp strike/Overwhelm for 15 mins without any thought.

Just the Secret Dungeon left.

The sealed door dungeons are the same shit? That sounds really tedious.

Steyliff is probably the worst of those dungeons. None of them are really hard but they're so tedious. Steyliff just keeps going on and on. Costlemark wasn't even that bad by comparison.

Not possible, they take hours to do. Some have dead end tunnels so you gotta backtrack and find a different path.

Also.

No map. Minimap shows nothing, same with Map screen.

I did the easiest one, and that was a slog. I didn't mean doing them all at one day. I mean should I do one, go do other stuff, do another, etc. I don't want the last stuff I do with this game to be 20 hours of those dungeons if they have the same layout.

Edit: Also beat
the Adamantoise today, felt like it took an hour. What a drag of a boss fight. Then again I guess all of the "ultimate" FF bosses are once you know what to do.

Astral

Not possible, they take hours to do. Some have dead end tunnels so you gotta backtrack and find a different path.

Also.

No map. Minimap shows nothing, same with Map screen.

This...doesn't sound fun at all. All I have left to do are the menace dungeons and Adamantoise. And fishing/cooking I guess. Maybe I'll just get the Balmung Sword and leave.

I didn't realize Too Much Is Never Enough was in the game. The main menu credits with the slow traversal of the world in a sort of recount of where you went in the story got me in the feels. And then Somnus starts at the point where Chapter Nine is.

ZangBa

I think I made the ending unintentionally hilarious since
I picked a Cup Noodles picture from the quest. Noctis really had to show that pic to Luna, lmao.

hrab

Yesterday evening had similar problem :D I needed to gather some orb for a quest, and was not able to because they were constantly dropshipping me. If I wouldn't run away then I would probably fight with them the whole night. Dropships frequency in this chapter is just ridiculous, they destroy my desire to play ;/ What were they thinking ?

Will it get better later?

80 hours, Chapter 8, 85% Hunts done (Rank 8.5)

Elder Coeurls still fuck me up, though. And fuck that 3 hour long Adamantoise fight and his last phase when he just kills me after 2.5 realtime hours.

Question:

based on current not done Hunts (Coeurls, Ganymede, Adamantoise) I will not reach Hunter Rank 9. I did all possible Hunt quests including the 12 or so found in Altissia.

However, I still have Costlemark Tower to do - I guess after I beat this dungeon 2-3 new Hunts pop up that will push me to Rank 9? Or are Hunts added based on Chapter progress?

Yesterday evening had similar problem :D I needed to gather some orb for a quest, and was not able to because they were constantly dropshipping me. If I wouldn't run away then I would probably fight with them the whole night. Dropships frequency in this chapter is just ridiculous, they destroy my desire to play ;/ What were they thinking ?

Will it get better later?

No. Embrace the free AP Magitek Troopers give you after warp-kills. I relish every "Noctis! Overhead!" message from Gladio because that means I will gain easy 10 AP in 1 minute.

Question:

based on current not done Hunts (Coeurls, Ganymede, Adamantoise) I will not reach Hunter Rank 9. I did all possible Hunt quests including the 12 or so found in Altissia.

However, I still have Costlemark Tower to do - I guess after I beat this dungeon 2-3 new Hunts pop up that will push me to Rank 9? Or are Hunts added based on Chapter progress?

Yeah, more getting added as you progress in the story.

Top Bottom