• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Say, did they *EVER* say in the tutorial that you can do a HARD LOCK ON by pressing R1 together with R3?

WHAT THE FUCK game? I've only discovered this 50 hours in that I *don't* have to hold R1 all the time to lock on?

SHEEEEESSSSSH.

It was in the first demo too.

Just completed the game. 80 hours in, taking my time and beat it at 65 or normal. Phenomenal game! Lived up to my expectation.

Ok I finally got some time to really play this and I'm on CH 3 so far, with about 8 hours of play time. Just my quick thoughts:

The Bad:

• Camera is super annoying
  • Ignis voice is annoying
  • Cut scenes can be really awkward and feel out of place.
  • Too many things going on the screen during battles. I get so lost where I'm at.
  • Gets really annoying when you bump into the other guys in tight areas.
    [*]This probably should of just been Noctis alone for gameplay. The other guys just hang out off screen during battles.
  • Controls can feel bad at times.
  • If I didnt watch Kingsglaive, I would have no clue whats going on, since there's like no story.

The Good:

• Game looks really nice for an open world game.
  • I've had like no bugs or frame drops. Only issue was some weird lighting issue I posted about above.
  • The Deadeye hunt was pretty cool.
  • Haven't heard much music, but what I have heard is very nice.
  • Voice acting is great, especially Prompto.
  • Speaking of Prompto, The picture taking thing is a really neat feature.
  • Lots to do in the game. Doesn't feel short at all.
  • All the areas look great.

Game still feels rough. I think this needed at least another 6 months of Dev time to really iron everything out better. So far the game is about a 6.5/10. I think its OK, with the potential to be good. Gonna keep playing it see how it goes.
I'm enjoying the combat more than I thought I would but yeah, what's the point? It's a bad Devil May Cry at best.

And what's the point of magic when it wrecks EVERYBODY including you and your crew? Is there something later on that changes this?

Ferr986

What I think it's that the bros should probably not die, and work like the other NPCs that join you. In turn, limit the amount of items.

The difficulty balance is a mess, story is easy but now a lot of shit just one shoots you no matter what, so you spend half a battle just in the item menu mass-healing your bros every 10 seconds, and it just encourages you to just ignore them and fight solo.

Blablurn

y'all played with japanese voices?

what does prompto say after he sang the victory anthem?

And what das gladious respond to that?

Whoever thought it was a good idea to put 4 of those bombs that explode into smaller bombs all in the same room, and multiple times in a row, needs to be punched.

sasuke_91

y'all played with japanese voices?

what does prompto say after he sang the victory anthem?

And what das gladious respond to that?
Prompto: *sings victory anthem*
Gladio: "You're really pumped up, aren't you?" *laughs*

Was there more? I also played with German subtitles, so the translation might be a little off.

Blablurn

Prompto: *sings victory anthem*
Gladio: "You're really pumped up, aren't you?" *laughs*

Was there more? I also played with German subtitles, so the translation might be a little off.

I also play with German subtitles, but I have they didn't translate exactly what they said

Whoever thought it was a good idea to put 4 of those bombs that explode into smaller bombs all in the same room, and multiple times in a row, needs to be punched.

I really wanted to cockpunch the person who designed that encounter... it's objectively worse than the
Red Giants/Naga/1 billion Flans room.

You can't defend how they force you to move at baby crawling speed. It was fucking agonising.
While it wasn't as fast as the open world sprinting, it was definitely faster than plain walking. It's the "you're in a town" run. Alternatively, I think you could do the jump the whole way through, which is usually faster than sprinting anyway.

lawtowler

Put a bit more time in last night, got to Chapter 8. Really enjoyed chapter 7 even though it was short.

What the hell is going on at the start of CH8 though? Like what a complete clusterfcuk of weirdness. All of a sudden I'm dropped off and thrown in to a power plant in a boiler suit alone, Gladio is up ahead to be re-united with Noct after randomly leaving (what sort of bodyguard does that!?) Best bit is that Noctis doesn't recognise his voice? WHAT!? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? Kill random enemies for a minute then go back outside and you get the Mythril thing... what!? why!? did i miss something? or is what I should expect more of going forward?

sappyday

Put a bit more time in last night, got to Chapter 8. Really enjoyed chapter 7 even though it was short.

What the hell is going on at the start of CH8 though? Like what a complete clusterfcuk of weirdness. All of a sudden I'm dropped off and thrown in to a power plant in a boiler suit alone, Gladio is up ahead to be re-united with Noct after randomly leaving (what sort of bodyguard does that!?) Best bit is that Noctis doesn't recognise his voice? WHAT!? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? Kill random enemies for a minute then go back outside and you get the Mythril thing... what!? why!? did i miss something? or is what I should expect more of going forward?
They do recognize each other

lawtowler

Just got to chapter 10 and I'm loving this game.I don't get the hate for the story, there's enough there to piece things together. Plus the very overall story is not bad.

The camera is annoying at times though.

For me there's just too many WTF moments (one of which being my post above in the spoiler tag, spoilers are for chapter 8). I just can't compare the story of this game with the way FF7,8,9 and 10 were written. It's so obvious they decided to make the writing secondary to the open world.

sasuke_91

It's pretty obvious they recognize each other immediately and are joking around. I found that to be pretty charming honestly.

Gbraga

Something really satisfying to do during combat is using the lance to start the backstep + charge attack, but change to daggers during the backstep, so it'll place you in the range to initiate the dropkick attack without having to keep throwing them until you're positioned.

That's weird. Does somebody in the world come and close the gate for the day or something?

Costlemark is the ruins of something built by Solheim. They seem to be one of these "ancient civilization with advanced tech" guys, so it's most likely automated. The glyphs you find on the walls and floors of Costlemark are the same you find in the entrance to the sealed dungeons, so I'm assuming they built those as well.

Since the dungeons are full of daemons, maybe they were trying to lock them up? I wonder if the inhabitants of Solheim themselves stayed there as well. Could be the way they dealt with the Scourge at the time.

I hope there's more information on Solheim in the game, for now I'm assuming they were the ones who fought the Astral War with the gods.

Chapter 7 and 8
are chill, just don't go to
chapter 9
until you're ready to commit to the story because that's where the real ride begins. Or you could leave that stuff for the post-game, whichever you prefer.

Thank you. I'm enjoying the focus on the main narrative so far, but it's great to know that the pace will go back to being more similar to Chapter 3 before I go for the final linear stretch.

Zakalwe

Banned
What I think it's that the bros should probably not die, and work like the other NPCs that join you. In turn, limit the amount of items.

The difficulty balance is a mess, story is easy but now a lot of shit just one shoots you no matter what, so you spend half a battle just in the item menu mass-healing your bros every 10 seconds, and it just encourages you to just ignore them and fight solo.

If you dodge certain attacks so will your bros, some are unavoidable but the less Noct takes damage the less your team will. an example being the Adamantoise foot swipe and the Coeurl aoe. If you dodge these then anyone within range will too. It's not always consistant, but it seems to work the majority of the time.

Also time techs and Armiger to abuse invincible frames.

Also make sure you invest in the teamwork and tech trees. Unlock 2x accessories asap.

I'm almost never needing to baby sit them.

Althane

Are you talking about a sealed dungeon, or Costlemark dungeon?

Because that was like the second room in Costlemark dungeon, and dear god that sucked. Cheesed that fight so hard.

iFirez

Finally started my playthrough.

I'm just over 3 hours in and my guys just hit level 10. I love just running around and exploring, randomly happening across as group of enemies and warp-striking in to start the battle. I found a cave with a bunch of doors in it and then some weird boss at the end that kept using electric attacks, put that thing to rest. Then some tomb at the end - couldn't get in there so no idea.

Still just doing he hunts and exploring this starting area, I don't plan on moving on anymore for a little while yet.

Ferr986

If you dodge certain attacks so will your bros, some are unavoidable but the less Noct takes damage the less your team will. an example being the Adamantoise foot swipe and the Coeurl aoe. If you dodge these then anyone within range will too. It's not always consistant, but it seems to work the majority of the time.

Also time techs and Armiger to abuse invincible frames.

Also make sure you invest in the teamwork and tech trees. Unlock 2x accessories asap.

I'm almost never needing to baby sit them.

Really? I was fighting the yodas and the bull after that quest and while I more or less managed to survive (well, the yodas were rough as fuck but the bull was manageable) the bros just keep dying over and over.

I have 2 acccesories, I should really farm AP for limit breaks and maybe 3 accesories (and I wonder if the 10VIT points per level too).

Thank you. I'm enjoying the focus on the main narrative so far, but it's great to know that the pace will go back to being more similar to Chapter 3 before I go for the final linear stretch.

Chapter 8 is the one that adds a lot of freedom (and it's just before the lineal half part), even more than 3. Ch.7 is pretty lineal, but I think you'll like it :p

Chapter 8 was super bad and entirely detached from everything else in the game. The funniest thing is
Gladio's disappearence never gets resolved. You'll never find out what the fuck he did and how he got his scars lmao. They'll never lose a word about this thing again in the game.

Are you talking about a sealed dungeon, or Costlemark dungeon?

Because that was like the second room in Costlemark dungeon, and dear god that sucked. Cheesed that fight so hard.

Costlemark, I haven't even gotten any of the sealed dungeons open lol.

And fortunately, I managed to luck out and not have to do the 2 Red Giant + Naga room and was able to go straight to the boss. All I have let to do with as far as trophies are concerned are three of Cookin/Survival/Fishing ones and the
Adamantoise
one. Pretty much just a grind from here on out so I might be calling it quits soon, at least until more of the updates and such hit.

Might end up getting the Season Pass for this and Hollow Realization too, both games I got a good 50+ hours out of from last month.

Zakalwe

Banned
Chapter 8 was super bad and entirely detached from everything else in the game. The funniest thing is
Gladio's disappearence never gets resolved. You'll never find out what the fuck he did and how he got his scars lmao. They'll never lose a word about this thing again in the game.

I think it was always intended for characters ters to have their own episodes, so the fact he leaves and returns itswlf is absolutely fine imo. We will fill his adventure in later.

The issue is how abrupt it is, and how against character it is for Gladio who takes his duties hyper seriously. They should have made his removal from the group forced like
Prompto's
and given it a little more lead in.

Gbraga

Chapter 8 is the one that adds a lot of freedom (and it's just before the lineal half part), even more than 3. Ch.7 is pretty lineal, but I think you'll like it :p

You're not the first person to tell me I'm gonna love Chapter 7, very curious to know why. There must be a Noct X Prompto kiss.

And I definitely enjoy the linear stretches as well. In Chapter 3, the moment you go down those stairs to get to the ice cave, it's a linear stretch to the end of it. Passing through the Midgardsormr and everything, I loved that. I really really enjoy those linear portions of the game, and that they're not accessible from any angle in the open world.

Haunted

gotta sell you that season pass/DLC somehow

UrbanRats

Anyone know the name of the music you hear in the camping areas? Not the elevator music of when you actually camp, before setting up camp i mean.
It's like a chill guitar tune.

Zakalwe

Banned
If I miss the chance to use the boss fight in Daurell to lower the ladder to the locked door, is there any way to reach it?

Like, is there a hunt I can get to spawn there or something?

Mediking

I will cry tears of laughter if one of the story patches involves a cutscene of what happened to Jared. LMAO. I have yet to meet one person who was attached to him.

Kamitechi

I will cry tears of laughter if one of the story patches involves a cutscene of what happened to Jared. LMAO. I have yet to meet one person who was attached to him.

I was so attached to him, that i skipped his scene before waterfall cave because I saw it on a stream.

Tsosie

So what is the consensus about armiger? What puts out more single target damage, armiger chain with a full bar, using a full bar for just Noctis attacks, or a mixture of the two?

Ruff

So what is the consensus about armiger? What puts out more single target damage, armiger chain with a full bar, using a full bar for just Noctis attacks, or a mixture of the two?

I find activating chain at the last moment is the best DPS. Since it pulls of many hits of 9999 at my level. I didn't really notice it doing any more damage at lower levels either, with a fuller bar.

Kamitechi

I find activating chain at the last moment is the best DPS. Since it pulls of many hits of 9999 at my level. I didn't really notice it doing any more damage at lower levels either, with a fuller bar.

also, make sure you unleash the finisher when all bros are alive, for the best damage, also the animation is extended.

if you do it with 1 of the bros dead/red hp, it will do a short version.

Definitely having issues with the hunts. Nothing ever turns up. Even hunts where the mark is always there day or night - nothing. And why are some coloured red? They still show on the map with the area etc. Anyway, tried 3 different hunts multiple times and nothing. There are some nasty bugs in this game if that's what's causing this to happen.

SHarris78

How do you get to the web-weaving princess hunt, it says it's just below the waterfall where there's a dungeon I've previously beaten but I can't get to it?

Definitely having issues with the hunts. Nothing ever turns up. Even hunts where the mark is always there day or night - nothing. And why are some coloured red? They still show on the map with the area etc. Anyway, tried 3 different hunts multiple times and nothing. There are some nasty bugs in this game if that's what's causing this to happen.

I've always had to reload to get it working when that happens.

How do you get to the web-weaving princess hunt, it says it's just below the waterfall where there's a dungeon I've previously beaten but I can't get to it?

There shouldn't be anything preventing you from re-entering that dungeon after you've beat it. Just keep sliding down until you can't slide no more and the hunt should activate.

Alright, so all I need left for the plat is: reach level 10 in survival, get 2 more royal arms and beat
Adamantoise

I have Noctis at level 53 and everyone else at level 50. I'm trying to decide if I really want to spend the time finishing up these trophies. Anybody who has plantinumed this game, what level should I try to grind to before finishing these trophies off?

I killed
Adamantoise
at lvl82 and got the plat. It took about 4 hours. But was not too hard. Didn't even use that many resources.

ACE 1991

I'm really in the mood for a JRPG, but I'm kind of turned off by, from what I've read, the lack of a good story in FFXV. Is the combat system and open world the big appeal here? Also, is PS4 (non-pro) performance still generally bad?

ffvorax

Is it explained how to do this in the game? :O

So you mean while I have the full bar with Noctis and I activate with L1+R1 I can do something better than just keep O pressed?

Can You explain please? Could be of help to end quicker the Adamanthar fight later...

Kamitechi

So you mean while I have the full bar with Noctis and I activate with L1+R1 I can do something better than just keep O pressed?

Can You explain please? Could be of help to end quicker the Adamanthar fight later...

It's basically armigar finisher, you have the full bar which begins to deplete, at any point you can press R1+L1 to do armigar finisher

Ruff

Basically, activate armiger, and anytime during when it's active you can press R1-L1 again and pull off a automatic chained combo finisher with all your weapons, if your bros are alive they also join in with their own little armiger. I find it best to do it just before the bar runs out.

like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_lTatnDMc

ffvorax

Basically, activate armiger, and anytime during when it's active you can press R1-L1 again and pull off a automatic chained combo finisher with all your weapons, if your bros are alive they also join in with their own little armiger. I find it best to do it just before the bar runs out.

Damn, why I always miss these important things while I play games... -_-'
Thx! I will try after work! :D

EDIT:
Thx Kamitechi too.

Got the platinum yesterday. At level 99 with the team at level 98. Going to do some more hunts and take a break before I take on the sealed dungeons.

Yeah the game has some flaws, but overall it's easily my favorite Final Fantasy game.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I would have never guessed he was the families' butler when I met him in Lestallum.

Bulby

I have such weird feelings about this game. I literally have never liked a shit game so much. So much of me is telling me the game is shit.

The characters, the story, the tone of the game, the quests, the dungeons are all mediocre to awful so far. The dungeons and quests especially are PS2 tier design.

The combat feels 25% great 50 % middling and 25% broken. I have played over 20 hours and am level 40 and have never come close to dying, even when going into an army base 15 levels above me.

But here I am and Im having a great time, and I really dont understand it! Is it like watching a car crash? I really dont know.

Top Bottom