• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

I'm having such trouble figuring out the dumbest controls. Took me 10 hours to realize how to use a potion. But is it possible, because I haven't found a way yet, to change one of your ally's techniques in battle, or can you only do it in between from the menu?

Ruff

MA-X Angelus
is an impossible boss. No one has beaten this thing. Please patch it out of the game, Tabata.

A great boss. Actually uses some strategy to kill the parts that give your style of combat the most trouble unlike most bosses where you just wail into them a bit without any care. Just wish it was easier to spawn it.

_Isaac

I'm having such trouble figuring out the dumbest controls. Took me 10 hours to realize how to use a potion. But is it possible, because I haven't found a way yet, to change one of your ally's techniques in battle, or can you only do it in between from the menu?
I think you can only do it from the menu. I haven't found another way to do it. :/

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It all adds up, again, to something with a unique charm. That this is going to be a flawed game becomes obvious from the beginning: even the (boring) tutorial needed more polish, as it could have been much snappier. But the biggest flaw, so far, might be that Prompto's photo album is limited to 150 pictures. The game has put enough of a spell on me that going through the photo album does feel nostalgic, like I'm looking through sweet memories, and I regret all the great pictures I've had to delete or pass on. :p

I ran into the 150 photo limit real quick too. What I started doing is finding pictures I would normally save and then using PS4 OS level screenshot saving to save the photo right to the PS4.

Taking a picture of a picture yo!

Gbraga

Man, this game has such a unique charm.

First of all, I'm all in on the main cast. Barely on chapter 3, and I'm invested in these characters. The friendship between them feels real and is often adorable, and I like them all as individual characters even more than I expected to. Getting to know Noctis, in particular, has been interesting, because I've had to shake loose the impression of him that Versus XIII gave me over the years. Now, obviously we didn't know that Noctis particularly well, but I imagined his character to have a sort of quiet, awkward introversion. This Noctis retains some of that, for sure, but he's much more socialable and easygoing; instead, a lot of emphasis has been placed on his status as a spoiled and dependent prince.

Also, few games have made me embrace "downtime" to this extent. Seriously, I spend a good amount of time just driving around, and I love it. Enough so that it has been super rare for me to put down the 10 gil to fast travel - a break from how I tend to approach open world games, even much more dense ones. And that comes down to a combination of things: Eos is a very pretty place, driving is a good excuse to listen to FF music, the road system also doubles as a navigational underpinning that brings the entire world together in a fairly unique way, typically there are enough things to do/see/get between point A and B to make the trip worthwhile, and finally, my investment in these characters and their road trip. Oh, and the ever so slight AP bonus.

Between that, the fact that I've come to appreciate the combat more and more, and the handful of activities out there such as fishing (another tranquil pastime I've spent a lot of time with) and dungeons (why is there a lvl 28 dungeon with lvl 40 monsters that kill me instantly tho), this open world has done a lot for me.

It all adds up, again, to something with a unique charm. That this is going to be a flawed game becomes obvious from the beginning: even the (boring) tutorial needed more polish, as it could have been much snappier. But the biggest flaw, so far, might be that Prompto's photo album is limited to 150 pictures. The game has put enough of a spell on me that going through the photo album does feel nostalgic, like I'm looking through sweet memories, and I regret all the great pictures I've had to delete or pass on. :p

Yeah, I share very similar feelings. The first time I had to go through all of my photos to delete some of them, it surprised me that I was laughing when looking at them and remembering the small moments throughout the journey. Moments that aren't really remarkable as far as plot goes, but something unique happened and it made me save the photo at that point. Since it's just a small gameplay moment, you tend to forget about it as you go through the game, but looking at the pictures, all of these small things come back, and it's a blast.

This game is just really... cozy? I don't know. Like, if you listen to the Brotherhood soundtrack, especially songs like Serenity, it'll perfectly capture the best things about the game.

I ran into the 150 photo limit real quick too. What I started doing is finding pictures I would normally save and then using PS4 OS level screenshot saving to save the photo right to the PS4.

Taking a picture of a picture yo!

I do that A LOT as well, hahaha.

ubercheez

I must be real stupid. Hopefully someone here can help me.

I've basically gone through my current playthrough without messing with magic too much, but want to start dabbling. That said, I can't figure out why the "Craft" button isn't appearing when I try to craft magic. Basically, I go to the menu for crafting, select a flask, add some fire or whatever, select a catalyst, and nothing pops up that allows me to actually craft the spell. What am I missing here?

The option to execute the crafting process is below the catalysts. I think it's just labeled "Craft." It's poorly designed UI; I mistook it for a menu screen title at first.

Adaren

I must be real stupid. Hopefully someone here can help me.

I've basically gone through my current playthrough without messing with magic too much, but want to start dabbling. That said, I can't figure out why the "Craft" button isn't appearing when I try to craft magic. Basically, I go to the menu for crafting, select a flask, add some fire or whatever, select a catalyst, and nothing pops up that allows me to actually craft the spell. What am I missing here?

The craft button is below the elements / catalyst, about 2/3 of the way down the screen. It doesn't "pop-up".

And yeah, if you were just missing seeing it, you aren't the first lol.

Ignis chp 9 spoilers
why didnt they show us how ignis was blinded or explained what happen, its supposed to be s big thing but I dont really care

Jeffrey

I feel like I need that KH google doc equivalent for this game.

Like I feel like this game is missing half of its story missions and cutscenes with how disjointed everything is.

muteki

I feel like I need that KH google doc equivalent for this game.

Like I feel like this game is missing half of its story missions and cutscenes with how disjointed everything is.

I'm not sure I would label it missing, but I do think after spending ~20 hours with this game I have run across less story content than say, FF7 after ~5 hours for just Midgar.

It's not so much missing for me, more few and far between.

But it is my fault for running around for 15 hours delivering shit to people I guess.

jorgejjvr

Hey guys

I'm in chapter 6 and I can't seem to find any shop that sells better weapons and armor

I bought back in like chapter 1 or 2, and as of now the people on shops only sell what I already have.

Perhaps I'm missing a shop somewhere? Perhaps I need to get farther in game?

killroy87

Just got to what I think was the first dungeon, unless there was another I missed (
it was the one where you get the Axe
), and it was so fucking good. RPG dungeons are usually pretty boring to me, but this place was genuinely fun to explore, and actually a little creepy. The mini boss was a lot of fun too.

Just got to what I think was the first dungeon, unless there was another I missed (
it was the one where you get the Axe
), and it was so fucking good. RPG dungeons are usually pretty boring to me, but this place was genuinely fun to explore, and actually a little creepy. The mini boss was a lot of fun too.
Some of the jump scares and tension in this game are better than a lot of actual horror games I've played. Wandering around by flashlight has never felt scarier to me.

DJChuy

On Chapter 13.

I am at the part where there is a
giant roaming around in a room, little after having acquired security access level 3

Am I halfway there?

Also, maybe you guys lowered my expectations so much, but so far I don't think ch13 is bad.

Chapters 9 to 12 on the other hand...

What the fuck, way too short man :/

The one thing I've liked about this second part is the tonal shift.

Yeah halfway there. I found the 2nd half annoying but also more engaging than the first half of the chapter.

DarkKyo

So, does anyone know of a guide for unlocking all the different photo filters? I'm pretty sure I have all but one or two but I obviously have no idea where to look for random photo ops.

Up to Chap 13, am I using the
ring
correctly, feels, seems extremely weak, and yea I dont want this in FF, its not awful not not enjoyable.

Jeffrey

I'm not sure I would label it missing, but I do think after spending ~20 hours with this game I have run across less story content than say, FF7 after ~5 hours for just Midgar.

It's not so much missing for me, more few and far between.

But it is my fault for running around for 15 hours delivering shit to people I guess.

i mean for me I feel like the game is skipping from like mission 4 to mission 6 to mission 10 instead of going in order.

Like there is context that just doesn't exist unless im just not paying attention... and thats why I'd love a in game 'journal' or something to keep track of whats going on.

Vic_Viper

trying to get the item to unlock the locked doors in each Dungeon. Need help figuring out what I need to do still.

Ive got all the Royal Arms, Went back and did Steyliff Grove, and just finished Costlemark last night and the lady will still not give me the item lol. What am I missing? Is there anyway to see which dungeons you havent done yet or something? Are there Dungeons without Royal Arms?

The only thing I can think of is that I havent done the End Game Dungeon with all the puzzles and no combat, but I thought it wasnt needed for the item.

I did chapter 13 last night. I'm not mad at it (I've played worse sections in other games, more than once), but just kinda confused by the whole thing. It wasn't hard, but then I was level 60 during it so I kinda just magic phased my way through everything. But it's just so longggggggg. It's longer than the previous like 4 chapters combined.

It's just baffling, because up to that point you've played what, like 10 minutes worth of
stealth-focused
sections? Well, here's almost 2 hours of it!

Ferr986

It's weird that, as much as I enjoy the game, I'm not really interested in the season pass. I'll rather have more endgame content than side story missions. (yeah feels like I'm treating this game as an MMO lol)

Of course, that may change when I see actual footage.

mauaus

Fuck Costlemark dungeon , i was steamrolling it avoiding
red switches
And got teleported to the entrance out of the blue after fighting a
Red giant

Gonna finish the game and then playing that BS on easy

Vic_Viper

Love this game! Even after finishing the story, this game just keeps on going! Just got the key to those locked doors and like 10 more quests poped up lol.

Mediking

Finally made it to Altissia. Very beautiful place. Was about to give up until I found Luna's dress. Really becoming a fan of Noctis X Luna. Sorry, Iris. :( Prompto continues to be the only one hungry for a woman's affection. He's been talking about getting with Aranea...

Oh, and I like Holly more than Jared. Maybe more information will be provided but once again I was reminded that Lestallum is a woman dominated society.... ;)

So I'm in Altissia and I was running around and Some guy called out "look at this" and now Noct is completely frozen. The rest of the game runs fine but Noct won't move at all anyone else encounter something like this?

Oh good managed to fix it with returning to rest point.

Razmos

Just saw the tutorial on how to get Aranea as a permanent party member. Definitely gonna try that next time I'm playing.

And after 95 hours, I've defeated the big, big, big, big monster and got myself the plat! Took about 27 in-game hours, I wasn't fully prepared (no meals eaten, not got best equipment) so I may be able to beat it quicker in future, if I bother to fight it again. Still not completed everything yet, most of the Menace Quests need to be done, as do most of Randolph's, and a couple of hunts left, but I'll get them done. Might be another boss or two I'm not aware of yet either.

But overall, I'm happy with the game. It had its flaws, definitely, but you don't spend 95 hours on a game you don't like. Or at least, you shouldn't.

Disappointed that the proper pro patch hasn't come out yet, but at least the game will be continually supported. Bring on NG+, and perhaps a way to get more AP efficiently. Still probably need 15,000AP.

muteki

i mean for me I feel like the game is skipping from like mission 4 to mission 6 to mission 10 instead of going in order.

Like there is context that just doesn't exist unless im just not paying attention... and thats why I'd love a in game 'journal' or something to keep track of whats going on.

This is true, some chapters seem to amount to little more than a conversation at a point of interest.

Mediking

Whoever writes the brief scenario descriptions during the loading screens has crazy good grammar. Lol

Ferr986

God lord people still don't understand that talking about
Aranea being a party member
is a spoiler..

Anyways, first sealed dungeon down. The only hard part was escaping from boss grabs. I love Type-C controls but it sucks when you have on of those press rapidly the same button QTEs.

Just finished my first Final Fantasy ever. Thinking about it, the main story felt kinda short. I spent 40 hours for the whole thing where at least half of it was used on stupid fetch side quests. lol.

Story was okay but badly told up until Chapter 9. After that everything went downhill. Everything felt so bizzare and rushed from that point on. I mean Altissia is beautiful but really confusing and there was NOTHING to do. What a shame.

Didn't feel the story or any of the dramatic set pieces until the
very last campfire
. That got me.

The music outshines everything in my eyes. Superb soundtrack.

I loved the Action-based battle system. Was really up my alley, even though it had problems and was sometimes just a button mashing shitfest, but it was fun.

I am tempted to do the platinum and explore the end game a bit. But right now I feel like, I need a break from it. Still have another Square Enix pearl in the waiting line: RotTR!!

I just realized how amazing it would be if they took this beautiful open world and added a 36 hole golf course minigame, complete with couch multiplayer support and chocobo caddies. The mechanics don't even have to be good! Just exploring the environment while playing a friendly round of golf would work on its own.

And now I'm depressed because this will never happen :(

jorgejjvr

Hey guys

I'm in chapter 6 and I can't seem to find any shop that sells better weapons and armor

I bought back in like chapter 1 or 2, and as of now the people on shops only sell what I already have.

Perhaps I'm missing a shop somewhere? Perhaps I need to get farther in game?
Anyone?

BriGuy

I hate how you can kill a big baddie and find out later that it's a hunt monster, but not get credit for the original kill. The jabberwock was piss easy for me, but I refuse to suffer that goddamn dungeon again.

Fuck Costlemark Tower, those fucking purple bombs actually had me using up more Mega-items than I wanted to use. Ignis dying constantly, the bombs spawning babies, all in tight corridors and cramped rooms.

Stairwell full of bombs and other enemies was harder than the boss.

Look in the Hunter's HQ, it's up north kind of near the Vesperpool. They stock all of the 10k Gil weapons.

And you can upgrade to the Ultima Blade, which I have been using since Chapter 6 or so. It's one of the best swords in the game. Look up a guide how to do it.

You can also obtain a Thunderbolt sword which is decent for that part of the game. Again, look for a guide.

Also grab the sniper rifle. It comes in handy sometimes for cheese strats.

Between those and the 10k weapons from Hunters HQ you should be set to tackle the rest of the story mode. Then come back in post-game to find the REALLY good weapons, only available post-game.

brau

Fuck Costlemark Tower, those fucking purple bombs actually had me using up more Mega-items than I wanted to use. Ignis dying constantly, the bombs spawning babies, all in tight corridors and cramped rooms.

Stairwell full of bombs and other enemies was harder than the boss.

Some of the meals served defend you up to 90% against elemental damage. Makes this a cake walk if you have it.

But yea... them exploding like crazy and wiping you out is super annoying.

Top Bottom