• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI coming to PC 9.17.24

Kazdane

The amount of people complaining about the battles being slogs are making me wonder if we're in a repeat case of FFXIII. The amount of people that just didn't get how the stagger system worked was insanely high back then. And it looks like this is the case, as we saw these same complaints when it released on PS5. If you know how to break the enemies, and which skills are meant to be used at different times, I don't feel like there's any battle that is a slog (not even the ones in the DLCs).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The amount of people complaining about the battles being slogs are making me wonder if we're in a repeat case of FFXIII. The amount of people that just didn't get how the stagger system worked was insanely high back then. And it looks like this is the case, as we saw these same complaints when it released on PS5. If you know how to break the enemies, and which skills are meant to be used at different times, I don't feel like there's any battle that is a slog (not even the ones in the DLCs).
Got any tips? I don’t feel like battles are a slog just yet, as it’s clear to me that stagger is important, but always open to learning if I’m wrong in my approach. I don’t think I’m doing anything special but timing abilities and stagger. Seems like some moves stagger more than others, too.

I think most people played it like I did... which was to just use up their abilities and switch between them while you wait while the cooldowns to end... use the Rage Mode every so often...

Steam DB says Remake is on sale - it's $35 in the US. But yes the normal price is $70. That's just how things are these days, no more permanent price cuts. Only temporary sales.

Almost forgot - remember that Remake includes the DLC. The base version of FF16 does not include either.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

lol you have to stagger to even move the boss battles along. It's just set up to be way too long. I seriously almost just walked away mid titan fight. It was horrible.

Playing it through again on easy it isn't so bad though. So my theory is all of the people who say battles are not a slog were just playing on easy the whole time.

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think most people played it like I did... which was to just use up their abilities and switch between them while you wait while the cooldowns to end... use the Rage Mode every so often...
This is exactly what I’m doing. I felt like I’m playing wrong because that’s all the depth I found…

Reactions: Isa

Hrk69

Gold Member
These boss battle cinematics

Confused Eminem GIF

Moochi

The city of Lostwing is so atmospheric with the people holding the crystals to inspect damage. The surround sound in that area too, with the wood and leather creaking. I love that every ten feet or so there's a little gathering or event to examine if you want, or you can just run past and ignore.

nikos

I'm enjoying this game so much. Quit around 25 hours on PS5 for no particular reason. Glad I did because it's so enjoyable on PC, especially thanks to Lyall's mod. I've already almost caught up to where I was.

I wasn't a fan of the setting/time period as this game was being revealed but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. So many areas have actually been really beautiful so far.

Combat system is a lot of fun. I used some of the "easy mode" items on PS5 but I decided to omit them this time and I'm having a lot of fun with the combos and abilities.

Story is interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes and what kind of characters come along.

Soundtrack is incredibly good.

This game is as "Final Fantasy" as any other to me.

This game has about as much depth as a paper plate.

Shallow combat, rpg mechanics, exploration, crafting.

I'm really struggling to see where all the praise for this has come from. I've just finished Ifrit vs Garuda and struggling to maintain any interest.

I agree with all of that except shallow combat. Plenty of moves to go through in combat with different combinations and mixing elements. I agree with the RPG/Exploration/crafting.

The praise from me was for the overall story and just game in general. Got the Plat because the final weapon is very satisfying to use and I wanted to use it more.

ClosBSAS

I find it fascinating that with 4k crispy smooth as butter 120fps i actually like the game now...part of hating ir was because pa5 had auch horrid iq and performance that now i consider this a great FF title, better than otaku 7 remake. So good. Fascinating what fpa can do

Go_Ly_Dow

I find it fascinating that with 4k crispy smooth as butter 120fps i actually like the game now...part of hating ir was because pa5 had auch horrid iq and performance that now i consider this a great FF title, better than otaku 7 remake. So good. Fascinating what fpa can do
The art direction in FF and the small details are too good to play at a blurry res, which I why I reluctantly played Rebirth in quality mode.

It would be nice if they can revist XVI on the Pro and implement PSSR for both modes.

Kumomeme

lol you have to stagger to even move the boss battles along. It's just set up to be way too long. I seriously almost just walked away mid titan fight. It was horrible.

Playing it through again on easy it isn't so bad though. So my theory is all of the people who say battles are not a slog were just playing on easy the whole time.
street fighter no GIF by Red Bull

Hrk69

Gold Member
Is there a reason why these pre-rendered cut scenes look so bad? It's especially noticeable when there's a lot of motion

Last edited:

Yeah I had a really good setup of abilities for staggering, Ramuh>Garuda>Ifrit. I'd cycle through all three and get a stagger, and then go into prime mode (or whatever it's called). Rinse and repeat. The battles still took forever. Just pools and pools of HP. I also did the sidequests, so I'd always have the best equipment.

For me, the slog feeling comes from a combination of basic attacks doing too little damage, and a reliance on having to constantly stagger enemies to widdle their insane HP bars down. It almost felt pointless to upgrade my weapons because I never felt like I saw a difference in damage.

Fwiw, I played on normal.

Last edited:

Diddy X

This game has about as much depth as a paper plate.

Shallow combat, rpg mechanics, exploration, crafting.

I'm really struggling to see where all the praise for this has come from. I've just finished Ifrit vs Garuda and struggling to maintain any interest.

I also think this game is trash, but people have different tastes, I guess. Also, I think some people fall for its spectacularity or the fact that it’s a Final Fantasy game, which makes no difference to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I played the demo for 45 minutes. If I had watched the cutscenes, my total gameplay time would have been around 2 hours. There's a dodge mechanic, a simple sword attack triggered by pressing square four times, two special moves, and the ability to use potions. We use these against consecutive enemies in the same environment. From what I've seen in other gameplay videos, it seems the game doesn't stray far from this format. Considering the game's overly serious tone on top of that, I realized it's not for me. I thought they turned Final Fantasy into a cheap medieval RPG from its magical world roots. From now on, they should either return to the series' roots or continue with a different name. This is not Final Fantasy, it's Greedfall 2 with some chocobos running around.

SkylineRKR

Nah i platted XIII. I beat those Long Gui within 2 minutes by knowing exactly what to do. XVI battles are even slow when you abuse Rift Slip and extend stagger.

In XIII the stagger bonus can quickly be increased by attacks like Army of One and keeping a Ravager around in general or manipulate via buffs and debuffs. In FFVII you can increase it beyond 250% real fast with Tifa and ATB management. You can wreck bosses very fast in both games though damage thresholds will artificially extend the battle, like they do in XVI as well.

XVI gets a measly increase per x amount of attacks topping at 1.50%. And as you are well aware, you cant launch your staggered foes while your specials are on static cooldown and cant be manipulated like ATB can. Debuffs dont exist too. Either way its going to take a while and its a matter of popping the same 6 skills off cooldown.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Seeing this game running on PC and PS5 (YouTube btw) it seems like it's not specially unoptimized for PC but for everything lol

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
This reminds me of FF12. Too ambitious for the hardware it launched on.
The remaster redeemed it.

SkylineRKR

This reminds me of FF12. Too ambitious for the hardware it launched on.
The remaster redeemed it.
FFXII did push the PS2. But XVI is actually very backwards. Its areas are broken off by markers and black screens the same way XII closed off areas on PS2. The game doesn't render big fields, its not a fraction of what Rebirth pushes in overall scale.

Combined with the lack of RPG mechanics, party members and AI i dont know what pushes this game so hard lol.

The only way to redeem this is add all those things plus opening up the world and dungeons which is never going to happen.

FFXII did push the PS2. But XVI is actually very backwards. Its areas are broken off by markers and black screens the same way XII closed off areas on PS2. The game doesn't render big fields, its not a fraction of what Rebirth pushes in overall scale.
Combined with the lack of RPG mechanics, party members and AI i dont know what pushes this game so hard lol.
The only way to redeem this is add all those things plus opening up the world and dungeons which is never going to happen.
16 looks worse than XV for a reason.

Go_Ly_Dow

From what I can remember XV used a real time GI system and so in certain situations it can give a more photo realistic look over XVI.

Whilst XVI uses some kind of pre baked GI system as there was no dynamic day/night cycle, which gives it a more CG in real-time look which the devs stated was their end goal.

So depending on the screenshots you use and your preferences some may prefer one over the other. Photo realism vs stylized cg.

For me XVI's highs beat XV's, as per the screenshots above. (also compare the key boss battles in XVI vs the Leviathan fight in XV and the latter looks like a complete joke in many respects when compared and XVI has some of the best I've seen in a game). But the world map, animations and character models still hold up incredibly well in XV.

End of the day XV released on PS4 and XVI on PS5. As we know modern game development is more iterative where the extra power simply goes on higher resolution, fps, poly count, textures etc... and so last gen game tech still hold up well, especially when souped up on PC.

So I don't see prefering one over the other to be a big deal. It comes down to personal artistic preferences on both design and technological fronts.

Last edited:

Brock2621

Went ahead and picked this up last night and runs pretty well overall. The solid 60fps and sharpness is great. The 30fps cutscenes though throw me off

Hrk69

Gold Member
Went ahead and picked this up last night and runs pretty well overall. The solid 60fps and sharpness is great. The 30fps cutscenes though throw me off

🤸🏽👍

There are still pre-rendered cutscenes @30fps though

Last edited:

nikos

Just finished the game. Need to grab the DLC. Didn't buy the Complete Edition because I didn't think I'd complete the game anytime soon but it was that good.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm considering saving my PC playthrough for when the RTX 5090 comes out...
Curious if I'll be able to do native 4K 30 fps at least

Last edited:
Top Bottom