• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI PC Performance Thread

Sentenza

This is fucking insane. The game starts with a cutscene, then you walk for literally 2 seconds, and another one plays for 10 minutes, then you run for maybe 30 seconds, then another 5 minutes cutscene. You do the training which takes 5 minutes, then another cutscene. You leave the training area, another cutscene. This is ridiculous. I ended up skipping them because I simply wanted to get a feel for the combat.

I think bombarding the players with exposition and dialogue is a horrible way to start a game. Let us get accustomed to the movements, the weight, the combat, and the general gameplay. Then start with the story.

Also, overall performance is alright. I did spot a stutter here and there, especially during camera cuts, but in-game, it generally was pretty smooth. A couple of frame spikes. Max settings 3440x1440/DLAA on a 4090. Generally 80-100 fps. Combat was around 90 fps.
A friend just pointed this short to me after I told me my impression of the demo:

I'd say it's uncanningly on point.

Myths

They fuck us ultrawide gamers every single time.
Looks like you can do a quick fix through the config file, still some post processing effects left behind that aren’t relative to aspect ratio though. (Namely screen blur, UI elements, and UI effecrs)

JimboJones

Fix for ultra wide and 30fps cap. Haven't tried it myself.
This is a fix for Final Fantasy XVI that adds ultrawide/narrow display support and more.

🚩Currently this fix only supports the DEMO version.​

Features​

General​

• Disable 30FPS cap in cutscenes/photo mode.
  • Adjust gameplay FOV.

Ultrawide/Narrower​

• Remove pillarboxing/letterboxing in borderless/fullscreen.
  • Fixed HUD scaling.
  • Fixed FOV scaling at <16:9.

Puscifer

What are you guys doing to see stutters? I have to say the amount of ray tracing present in this game is totally nuts! You can see it everywhere.

Anywho

7600X / 65w eco mode
4080 founders
32GB DDR5 6000 CL30 / Hynix

Maxed out, frame gen, DLSS 3

80 FPS 4k / Upscaled

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
How big is the demo outright when installed?

Debating whether I want to bother with the demo or just wait for the full version.

john2gr

What are you guys doing to see stutters? I have to say the amount of ray tracing present in this game is totally nuts! You can see it everywhere.

Anywho

7600X / 65w eco mode
4080 founders
32GB DDR5 6000 CL30 / Hynix

Maxed out, frame gen, DLSS 3

80 FPS 4k / Upscaled

LOL, the game does not have Ray Tracing.

As for the mod that removes the 30fps lock from the in-engine cut-scenes, it works and it makes the game feel WAY better.

Update for demo was released

An update has been released for the FINAL FANTASY XVI PC demo available on Steam and Epic Games Store, introducing a number of improvements and adjustments to the game.

Improvements have been made to DLSS, FSR, and XeSS quality.
This should help to alleviate various graphical issues such as blurring (DLSS/XeSS) and pixelation (FSR).

The following issues have also been addressed:

Dynamic Resolution being locked on the lowest setting.
Enemies not appearing properly in certain battle content.
Graphics not displaying properly on certain stages.
Graphical tearing in certain instances when using borderless screen mode.
SFX not playing properly under certain conditions.
UI not displaying properly under certain conditions.
Screen resolution changing under certain conditions.
Rare instances of GPU crashes.
Other minor issues.

We are currently aware of instances of stuttering on certain PC environments, and are investigating the issue.

Gonzito

An update has been released for the FINAL FANTASY XVI PC demo available on Steam and Epic Games Store, introducing a number of improvements and adjustments to the game.

This should help to alleviate various graphical issues such as blurring (DLSS/XeSS) and pixelation (FSR).

Other minor issues.

We are currently aware of instances of stuttering on certain PC environments, and are investigating the issue.

They are investigating stuttering issues and the game releases in a couple of weeks

Man welcome to modern gaming

Puscifer

LOL, the game does not have Ray Tracing.

As for the mod that removes the 30fps lock from the in-engine cut-scenes, it works and it makes the game feel WAY better.

It does

wwy1l2iz4x5b1.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I finished the demo. This game is a lot of fun. I didn’t like FF15 but this one gets going much faster for me. Far more linear but I’m down.

Glad they’re dropping a demo with a carry over save, fixing performance in the meantime, then later dropping the full game. Super cool.

Go_Ly_Dow

I finished the demo. This game is a lot of fun. I didn’t like FF15 but this one gets going much faster for me. Far more linear but I’m down.

Glad they’re dropping a demo with a carry over save, fixing performance in the meantime, then later dropping the full game. Super cool.
There are multiple open zones later on, but I'd say they are more wide linear map design if anything.

john2gr

It does

wwy1l2iz4x5b1.jpg

It does NOT. Back then, John thought the shadows were RT Shadows. They are not. And since then, he went on to record to say that he was wrong and that the game doesn't have Ray Tracing. Not only that but there are no Ray Tracing options in both PS5 and PC.

Oh, and since I've also spoken with NVIDIA, I can tell you there are no plans at all (at least right now) to add any Ray Tracing effects in FF XVI.

This is fucking insane. The game starts with a cutscene, then you walk for literally 2 seconds, and another one plays for 10 minutes, then you run for maybe 30 seconds, then another 5 minutes cutscene. You do the training which takes 5 minutes, then another cutscene. You leave the training area, another cutscene. This is ridiculous. I ended up skipping them because I simply wanted to get a feel for the combat.

I think bombarding the players with exposition and dialogue is a horrible way to start a game. Let us get accustomed to the movements, the weight, the combat, and the general gameplay. Then start with the story.

Also, overall performance is alright. I did spot a stutter here and there, especially during camera cuts, but in-game, it generally was pretty smooth. A couple of frame spikes. Max settings 3440x1440/DLAA on a 4090. Generally 80-100 fps. Combat was around 90 fps.

It also pulls a game of thrones where the first hours it tries to be a very mature game with side boobs and whatnot just to bait ppl in and then it throws all dat shit away and goes back to being a childish game. The boss fights are the highlight of the game so if that is all you care, then I do recommend it. If you care about 80% of the rest of the game, its not very good and the side quests are one of the worst in gaming not just franchise.

Thaedolus

It’s smooth as butter on my 4080 but the drop to 30FPS in cut scenes is pretty jarring, not seeing the stutter everyone’s talking about, it did shader comp at startup pretty quickly on my 13700k

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
16.62GB. Saves carry over to the full game.

So its probably the full game at release it will just let us go forward???

If you cleared the demo its not an annoying place where it stops is it?

i'm glad we've reached the point where we need VRR on PC to reach the sublime excellence of 1440p. Next gen truly is here
It's worse, now every game factors DLSS or FSR or other image reconstruction and frame generation techniques to hit what should be aiming to be the standard and enhanced with those. These past few years have nightmarish for PC gaming performance-wise because of how wild results can get. Plus, many devs are just lazy in their implementation. I hate this tbh.

hinch7

Tried this on my PC (5800X3D+4070 Ti) and runs pretty well. Getting around 60fps at 4K, DLSS Quality max settings.

30FPS cutscenes are a bit jarring but I guess modders are already on that. Image quality looks immaculate otherwise than I remember playing on PS5.

Last edited:

Variahunter

Other minor issues.

That's good news because I found DLSS (quality) to be really blurry even with the sharpening at 10.

As a result I used FSR3 and Frame Generation with a 3080 12gb and got 100-110 on average in the first section, then in the swamps 80-90 fps.

The image quality was nuts (compared to PS5 of course). We can really see how next gen the game was here (aside from lighting which is really good but not mind blowing due to the tech used ofc).

Some screens (open in new tab to see full res) :

2738000-20240821012759-1.png

2738000-20240821013211-1.png

2738000-20240821014518-1.png

2738000-20240821014522-1.png

2738000-20240821014610-1.png

2738000-20240821014728-1.png

2738000-20240821014823-1.png

2738000-20240821014902-1.png

2738000-20240821014910-1.png

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Is the mod still needed to unlock framerates in cutscenes or has that been patched by Square? Going to finally dive into this demo tonight to lead into the game release next week.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Finally got my key. No preload on 130GB, cmon.

Looks like there's still no 21:9 support, ugh. I didn't see a config on Flawless Widescreen, either. I do see that Github mod floating around from the demo, though.

xVodevil

No preload on 130GB, cmon.
Good to know that, I was wondering about DL size.. Deiced to skip for now after all , got plenty to do until Diablo 4 expansion is here. At least I can grab it on sale one in a few month, and plan to fire up a lovely nice download session for the night.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Nice mod that improves the regular game's difficulty. Enemies hit harder and are more aggressive. Basically adds a hard mode that should have been available from the beginning.

Top Bottom