• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI PC Performance Thread

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Played a bit. Frame Gen seems broken. Is a tear fest on my setup (7900xt, LG C1).
Do settings do anything? Seems changing them from low to high netted very little additional FPS. Only real FPS change came fron switching upscaling to FSR1.

Might not be playing nice with AMD GPUs at the moment.

Killer8

This is the first game i've played where DLSS looks like fucking shit. Like objectively worse than native. Normally quality mode is at least on par, if not usually better than native. Look at that wall next to the training sequence - it's just blobs of color, barely discernible that it's even stonework. FSR2 and XeSS are crap too.

Only DLAA looks just about passable compared to native resolution but that's mainly because you can pair it with frame gen. On a 4070 Super I can get roughly 60fps at 1440p at native while DLAA 1440p with frame gen will give me over 100fps pretty much all the time. Some of the traversal stutter is disappointing too. I'll definitely be waiting on the DF analysis and PS5 comparison before grabbing this on PC as I suspect this will be earmarked for PS5 Pro support at launch.

I also can't for the life of me get the DualSense haptic features to work because Steam Input is being an absolute bitch, yet I have to keep it enabled to get any sort of controller support working at all.

Last edited:

nikos

Game uses DLSS 3.5.10 lol. Must be an older build or they really don't give a shit.

FSR3 on Native AA (not upscaling) looks way better than DLAA, which looks soft, but FSR3 Frame Generation is garbage. EDIT: Looks aliased like this now. May need to turn down sharpness. There also appears to be slight ghosting around edges.

Disabling upscaling altogether also looks soft. If you don't need Frame Generation, FSR3 + Native AA seems to have the best image quality.

Performance seems good so far. Still playing.

Last edited:

ssringo

Windows 11, 7800X3D, 4070 Ti Super, 32GB RAM, 1440p resolution. System updated and with latest GPU drivers. Played through the swamp to get a general feel. I'm pretty satisfied with performance other than the 30fps cutscenes but they aren't a dealbreaker.

Everything maxed with DLSS OFF I fluctuate between 60 and 90 fps. With DLSS (dynamic resolution disabled) with framegen on I'm getting 144fps+. Considering I have a high end PC and am only at 1440p it obviously should be running well. But honestly I was kinda expecting a bit of a shitshow.

As a sidenote when I started the game it defaulted to borderless and with a lower internal resolution which looked blurry/kinda bad but had a framerate in the 200s. Quickly remedied but briefly had me watching the game with a raised eyebrow.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Game uses DLSS 3.5.10 lol. Must be an older build or they really don't give a shit.

FSR3 on Native AA (not upscaling) looks way better than DLAA, which looks soft, but FSR3 Frame Generation is garbage. EDIT: Looks aliased like this now. May need to turn down sharpness. There also appears to be slight ghosting around edges.

Disabling upscaling altogether also looks soft. If you don't need Frame Generation, FSR3 + Native AA seems to have the best image quality.

Performance seems good so far. Still playing.

Thanks for the heads up. I made the switch to the latest DLL file off the TechPowerUP site.

Pejo

Damn I didn't even know this was announced, and there's already a demo?

Anyways, 49.99 pricetag and from accounts in this thread, a solid PC port with lots of graphical options. WTF how am I supposed to shit on S-E? I'm impressed.

Sentenza

God, I played this goddamn demo for one hour or so and so far I got the impression that more than waiting a PC port I could have "played" this with a Youtube playlist, because almost all I did so far was pressing forward to walk, pressing A to progress a dialogue and watch cutscenes.

Last edited:

nikos

Thanks for the heads up. I made the switch to the latest DLL file off the TechPowerUP site.

Just did the same and it still looks horrible, even on DLAA.

Not sure if it's the fault of DLSS though, as it looks soft even with upscaling completely disabled. Only FSR3 + Native AA looks sharp but that has its own issues.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Played a bit. Frame Gen seems broken. Is a tear fest on my setup (7900xt, LG C1).
Do settings do anything? Seems changing them from low to high netted very little additional FPS. Only real FPS change came fron switching upscaling to FSR1.

Are you using the new driver with support for the game?

Fbh

God, I played this goddamn demo for one hour or so and so far I got the impression that more than waiting a PC port I could have "played" this with a Youtube playlist, because almost all I did so far was pressing forward to walk, pressing A to progress a dialogue and watch cutscenes.

The opening of the game (which is the demo) is a lot more story/cinematic focused than the rest of the game.
Afterwards there are still a lot of cutscenes and dialogue but it's balanced with more gameplay later on.

That said I actually thought the first 4-5 hours of the game are the best part as it's when the story was at its best and it's before you realize how shit most of the design is.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I don't think the game is going to be that much of a looker no matter the settings, but more than DLSS or what else I would go and turn down motion blur if I were you (which by default is maxed out). That shit has that old school vaseline effect on image quality.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Just did the same and it still looks horrible, even on DLAA.

Not sure if it's the fault of DLSS though, as it looks soft even with upscaling completely disabled. Only FSR3 + Native AA looks sharp but that has its own issues.

Have you tried using Nvidia's sharpening filter?

JimboJones

Damn I didn't even know this was announced, and there's already a demo?

Anyways, 49.99 pricetag and from accounts in this thread, a solid PC port with lots of graphical options. WTF how am I supposed to shit on S-E? I'm impressed.
FF15 had a decent PC port from what I remember. Seems to be anytime they use unreal with big projects they shit the bed with PC port, will be interesting to see how Rebirth fairs.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This is fucking insane. The game starts with a cutscene, then you walk for literally 2 seconds, and another one plays for 10 minutes, then you run for maybe 30 seconds, then another 5 minutes cutscene. You do the training which takes 5 minutes, then another cutscene. You leave the training area, another cutscene. This is ridiculous. I ended up skipping them because I simply wanted to get a feel for the combat.

I think bombarding the players with exposition and dialogue is a horrible way to start a game. Let us get accustomed to the movements, the weight, the combat, and the general gameplay. Then start with the story.

Also, overall performance is alright. I did spot a stutter here and there, especially during camera cuts, but in-game, it generally was pretty smooth. A couple of frame spikes. Max settings 3440x1440/DLAA on a 4090. Generally 80-100 fps. Combat was around 90 fps.

Last edited:

Zathalus

This is fucking insane. The game starts with a cutscene, then you walk for literally 2 seconds, and another one plays for 10 minutes. Then you run for maybe 30 seconds, then another 5 minutes cutscene. You do the training which takes 5 minutes, then another cutscene. You leave the training area, another cutscene. This is ridiculous. I ended up skipping them because I simply wanted to get a feel for the combat.

I think bombarding the players with exposition and dialogue is a horrible way to start a game. Let us get accustomed to the movements, the weight, the combat, and the general gameplay. Then start with the story.
The combat is shit unfortunately, oh sure it can be good on NG+ but it’s so stupidly easy on your first playthrough that it basically boils down to do whatever you want as it really doesn’t matter.

SkylineRKR

You're in for a treat. The gameplay and quest design is absolutely boring througout.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This is fucking insane. The game starts with a cutscene, then you walk for literally 2 seconds, and another one plays for 10 minutes, then you run for maybe 30 seconds, then another 5 minutes cutscene. You do the training which takes 5 minutes, then another cutscene. You leave the training area, another cutscene. This is ridiculous. I ended up skipping them because I simply wanted to get a feel for the combat.

Also, overall performance is alright. I did spot a stutter here and there, especially during camera cuts, but in-game, it generally was pretty smooth. A couple of frame spikes. Max settings 3440x1440/DLAA on a 4090. Generally 80-100 fps. Combat was around 90 fps.
And now you understand why when XIV veterans say XVI takes many of XIV's flaws and puts it into a blender. This is the result.

XVI will make XIII look good on that metric alone.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
And now you understand why when XIV veterans say XVI takes many of XIV's flaws and puts it into a blender. This is the result.

XVI will make XIII look good on that metric alone.
This is markedly different from FF VII Remake which starts with one introductory cutscene and immediately plunges you into the action almost nonstop for a good 40 minutes.

lmimmfn

There's a new nvidia driver for Black Myth Wukong tomorrow, I'll wait for that(drivers getting stupidly large in size)

simpatico

7800x3D
GTX 1080
Really old drivers

Able to get mostly 60fps with XeSS and a mix of settings. Mostly low and medium. Looks good, only drops when stuff hits the fan. 60 or above when you're just walking through the forest fighting goblins. Very soft image. Even when I tried it with upscaling off. Something strange about it overall. Like it's got a filter. Zero stutters. Just good ol drops when you'd expect.

As a game, it's not for me. Been a while since I played a FF and I forgot just how many cutscenes there are. It's really aggravating. Walk straight for 11 seconds, cutscene. Go through two rooms. Cutscene. Tooltips are everywhere too. Even in each tab of the pause menu. Every tooltip stops the game and requires a button press to go away. Great idea. I think for a demo they would have left a better impression if they just got to the action. Tutorial was brutal. By the time it was over I was done. Movement is sloppy. Camera is bad. Jumping is worse. I really don't see why they don't just make it turn based instead of making it a C tier action game. Just make the best AAA turn based game ever? How is it even a question.

WTF how am I supposed to shit on S-E? I'm impressed.
Oh I would play it before you ask that question...

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This is markedly different from FF VII Remake which starts with one introductory cutscene and immediately plunges you into the action almost nonstop for a good 40 minutes.
Remake and Rebirth are fine. XVI is very exposition and cutscene heavy. It has a very modern MMO style of walk 10 feet talk to NPC and then cutscene. 50% to 60% of XVI is either exposition or cinematic overload.

I'll probably buy the game on sale as a hack and slash to pass the time but it'll be a huge slog.

Myths

I can't believe there's no fucking native ultrawide support. There's already a work in progress fix available but that's a massive disappointment. I don't understand how these devs are so disconnected from technology.

Anyway, not the place to rant. Going to boot it up with the community fix now.
Wait wheres it at? I refuse to continue without a fix.

Kazdane

OMG I can't, why are the cutscenes at 30.
I'm wondering the same. Real-time dialogues are capped to whatever you cap the game, cutscenes are capped at 30, except for one towards the end of the demo
When the Fire Eikon is beating Phoenix
, it's a cutscene, since you can skip it if you pause, but for whatever reason, this one also runs at whatever cap you've set in the options.

OMG I can't, why are the cutscenes at 30.
I'm wondering the same. Real-time dialogues are capped to whatever you cap the game, cutscenes are capped at 30, except for one towards the end of the demo
When the Fire Eikon is beating Phoenix
, it's a cutscene, since you can skip it if you pause, but for whatever reason, this one also runs at whatever cap you've set in the options.
The reason why they're capped at 30fps is probably because cutscenes in this game are a hybrid of real-time rendered models and pre-rendered effects and lighting which are composited together. If the real time aspects of the cutscenes were being rendered at high framerates, and the composited CG aspects are stuck at 30 fps, it would look terrible, and could potentially desync at some point.

To change this, SquareEnix would have to go through the entire game and re-render all the CG aspects at 60+fps. It's the same reason why we're not going to get ultrawide either. All the CG elements would only be rendered at 16:9 aspect ratio.. so forcing the real-time aspect of the cutscenes into 21:9 or 32:9, would look absolutely ridiculous lmao.

Last edited:

Irobot82

The reason why they're capped at 30fps is probably because cutscenes in this game are a hybrid of real-time rendered models and pre-rendered effects and lighting which are composited together. If the real time aspects of the cutscenes were being rendered at high framerates, and the composited CG aspects are stuck at 30 fps, it would look terrible, and could potentially desync at some point.

To change this, SquareEnix would have to go through the entire game and re-render all the CG aspects at 60+fps. It's the same reason why we're not going to get ultrawide either. All the CG elements would only be rendered at 16:9 aspect ratio.. so forcing the real-time aspect of the cutscenes into 21:9 or 32:9, would look absolutely ridiculous lmao.
It's just super jarring. Running like 90-110 FPS only to see it turn into a slide show.

Myths

config file
"<windowType_ v="1"/><width_ v="3440"/><height_ v="1440"/>"
g18RrSQ.jpeg

Turned DLSS off, way too much Smoothing factor. I'm fine running sub 100.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

7800x 3d. 4090.

4k. everything maxed. dlss 3 on quality. no frame generation. locked on 4k 144 ( rarely dips to 130s but mostly solid ) no stutter during actual gameplay/running/fighting.

however, it did stutter to but just a little during the CG cutscenes ( titan vs Shiva for example ) but nothing that is very distracting or annoying.

what is fucking annoying is that fucking pos 30 fps cutscenes.. what the fuck this is not a PS5. fix this shit.

on a side note. epic music and fights as always.

I will double dip on this for sure but not day one. ill wait till its like 40$ Canadian or something.

Booted it up, gave an error that my video card isn't supported because of running an old driver.
Game boots up anyway, defaults to ultra settings with FSR3/dynamic resolution, but I notice the game is locked at 1080p, must be the old driver.
I turn off dynamic res and set FSR3 to native AA.
opening runs at 80-120 fps, and had some added sharpness because of FSR3, but I noticed some ghosting.
Switched to xess/anti-aliasing and the ghosting seems gone, but the image was a bit too soft, so I just turn off upscaling alltogether.

first castle area was 50-70 fps, switched the first setting (rendering quality) and shadows to medium, got it to 60-80, first combat area ran 80-100, second area similar but the dragoon fight managed to drop to 55fps for some reason.
The challenge ran around 70fps on average; think I'll be able to swing 1440p/60 with full game and proper drivers.

Got a bit annoyed by the whole walk/cutscene/walk/cutscene nonsense, but the combat was good and there's some very cool rendering techniques being used, so it looked great even at 1080p.

i9 109k / 7800 xt

Edit: will probably get it if it's on sale during the winter sale.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

AMD's new drivers fixed the stutterring in the first scene, so thats a nice first step.

I dont see any improvements per say to frame rate (maybe a small bump but its most likely placebo )

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 24.10.37.01 Release Notes

Myths Myths Thanks for the widescreen config!

Edit: Yap, widescreen works but i can safely say it broke frame generation (with FSR3 at least). I can see clear artifacting where the 16:9 line border is. So something weird going on there, they've probably hardcoded frame gen to act in a specific way and it doesnt know how to work with non 16:9 resolutions :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Thought the drivers had already come out for Wukong?
Not yet for NVidia, the current latest driver is 560.81 from August 6th but that doesnt include Black Myth Wukong(did include FF16 though), i just dont want to install 2

CSJ

It's cinematic, it's a creative choice. Why do you want to cutscenes to look like uncanny valley cheap soap operas? It's supposed to be 30 FPS like a movie

I'd imagine because it's not even a creative choice but a technical fault where if you let people turn off motion blur etc, it won't look like watching a film or tv show but worse.
I haven't played it on PC since I've already done it on PS but, could that be why?

Just played the demo I have a locked 60 fps, everything max and 4k. Rtx 4090 and the 7800x3d. I also noticed way less ghosting then the ps5 version.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I'm gonna to download it to my Steamdeck, I expect it to run well on low settings :p
On Windows runs at over 30fps FSR quality/balance with frame gen with everything on low except textures on medium, but frame rate drops drastically a lot and the game have SLOWDOWN SPEED!!! Lol lol lol Square square lol...

Celcius

°Temp. member
New nvidia driver 560.94 is out now. It says "This new Game Ready Driver provides the best gaming experience for the latest new games supporting DLSS 3.5 technology including Star Wars Outlaws. Further support for new titles leveraging DLSS technology includes Black Myth: Wukong, FINAL FANTASY XVI, and Concord which support DLSS 3. In addition, this driver supports the launch of Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2."

Might be worth seeing if it makes a difference for this demo....

Bojji

Stuttering is shader related, game does some shader cache at the start but it does jack shit.

I just loaded save on new drivers and saw a lot of stutter, reloaded it and everything was smooth. I hope they fix it for the final version.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yep, unstable stutter fest even with 30 FPS lock on my rig, surprisingly enough though, the game can barely eat 9,5 GBs of VRAM at 4K fully maxed which is totally unexpected, given just how good the game looks even on the PS5. I'd wait for performance patches, but I'm not going to buy the game again since they left everything as is and not addressed any issues people had with the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom