• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Previews for Star Wars Outlaws are Dropping

Durin

Previews don't mean that much when none I've seen make the game look any better.

All that matters is when the game comes out, you can see other people play it, and not waste your money if it ends up disappointing. Ubisoft has been putting out duds to mediocre slop for years now, so I'm still skeptical this will be any better, especially given this game has no single unique/innovative gameplay mechanic at all.

Lupin25

Kinda of looks like more of the same guilty-pleasure, ubislop type of thing, with great art direction, but inconsistent visuals, VAST-empty worlds, middling combat & undercooked systems.

I’d still get it on sale, but not before Wukong or Astrobot coming in a week before & later as cheaper next-gen games.

Nydius

actually, tells you all you need to know about skillup - playing both sides against the middle, while being 'cool'...

Fair enough. He also recently did a similar video for his Concord impressions, if I recall correctly. He spent a lot of time heavily criticizing the game but then kinda hand waved it away with a generic “there’s a good game here” type of comment.

stn

Ehhhhhh, I'm gonna wait for reviews. I have more than enough games to play as it is, so I'm not buying this on release unless it reviews really well. From what I've heard so far, I'm expecting a decent game that I'll buy when it goes on sale.

amigastar

I dont want that, i can already relate to a plenty of star wars stuff, like Darth Vader, because of the anger issues and not being granted the rank of master.

Nerd Ok GIF by Froggy Friends

Game is also going to be made on earth, but its a fully digital product (unlike the movies), they can invent whatever cool looking location they want, the only limit is the budget and time.
But wouldn't that break with the aesthetics of the Star Wars universe? Think about it.

Last edited:
Nah, bonking someone with a helmet on unconscious by a skinny ass woman is not in any game ever. it isnt even a hard knock, just tapping his helmet.
The odd part is the person next to enemy didn't hear a thing. It's also one of the millions of things gamers usually suspend disbelief for because at the end of the day it's just a video game. But hey, bonk not big enough I guess.

I agree, but this is a bit way too dumb. Sure most would say, ignore stealth then, but I love stealth. I always wanted a stealth game i nthe star wars universe but this shit is hard to ignore.
I'm not even sure what way wouldn't look weird on someone with a helmet though tbf most of the times the troopers seem to be wear cheap, brittle plastic. Perhaps a bit lazy, but personally it's not a big deal to me.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I'm not even sure what way wouldn't look weird on someone with a helmet though tbf most of the times the troopers seem to be wear cheap, brittle plastic. Perhaps a bit lazy, but personally it's not a big deal to me.

She has a freaking gun, hit them with the gun butt. its that simple. Whoever designed this was a moron for missing such a detail. Kinda makes you wonder about the overall detail quality of the game.

Vlodril

SkillUp’s video is straight up laughable. He literally calls it “standard Ubisoft bullshit” in the beginning of the video. He rattles off all the issues with the game, everything from bad AI to extremely basic combat, and gameplay elements cribbed from well over a decade ago (lol at tall grass for hiding inside a base) but then hand waves it all away by saying “but it’s Star Wars so I had fun with it”.

Tells you all you need to know about games like these. They do the barest minimum for triple-A slop, slap on a premium price tag, and want people to buy it based on Memberberries. (Edit: And they know reviewers like Ralph won’t be ultra critical because they don’t want to risk their industry access.)

I mean you can have fun with bad games too.

Freeman76

Preview is worthless as it always hype a game before an actual review.
What the living fuck are you on about? Ive read plenty of previews that completely slated a game if it was shit.

The hate people have for games on this forum baffles me sometimes

Nydius

I mean you can have fun with bad games too.
Believe me, I know. I loved Agents of Mayhem -- but not because it was tangentially related to Saints Row.

It's one thing to say "This game is pretty bad but I still enjoyed it" and quite another to say "This game has a lot of bad elements but I enjoyed it because it's Star Wars". The latter shows that he was personally biased by the source material and would have enjoyed it no matter how bad the game turned out to be, which he practically admits in the video.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
SkillUp’s video is straight up laughable. He literally calls it “standard Ubisoft bullshit” in the beginning of the video. He rattles off all the issues with the game, everything from bad AI to extremely basic combat, and gameplay elements cribbed from well over a decade ago (lol at tall grass for hiding inside a base) but then hand waves it all away by saying “but it’s Star Wars so I had fun with it”.

Tells you all you need to know about games like these. They do the barest minimum for triple-A slop, slap on a premium price tag, and want people to buy it based on Memberberries. (Edit: And they know reviewers like Ralph won’t be ultra critical because they don’t want to risk their industry access.)

Sadly, the bigger SkillUp’s channel has become, the less honest and upfront his reviews are. You can tell he’s reached the stage of ‘better not annoy people too much, or it’ll hurt my bottom line’, and that’s a real shame. We need reviewers who are willing to call out major companies for their slop and bad practises, but once a YouTuber gets a sniff of some real cash, that ceases.

Very obvious this game is only for people who like modern Star Wars.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Ubi games usually look good, the don't have the Best graphics but are above average SO the Game Will be fine on that topic. Saddly the AI looks like the same dumb one used on most of their games when You can approach and enemy almost in front of it and You arent noticed..this kills everything.

T4keD0wN

But wouldn't that break with the aesthetics of the Star Wars universe? Think about it.
I dont think so, not everything needs to take place on Tatooine or the same 5 planets, they can even be completely original. Plus its not like the newer movies didnt have much more interesting visuals than the older ones.

I want blue trees, pink water, green rocks, brown sky, reverse flowing waterfalls and 5 moons with 3 visible stars or something imaginative, its a boring sci-fi if i can see the same boring trees, green grass, white coulds and one sun by looking out of the window.

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

I'm still keeping an eye on Star Wars Outlaws with some anticipation, but it's still Ubisoft, so it's still a side-eye I'm keeping on the game.
It would be cool if the game was really good.

Ovek

7Member7
I know this game is going to be mid at best but I’m still going to play it.

If your little rat thing dies at any point for the eventual emotional damage part of the story I will vote for it in game of the year awards lol

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
Sounds like the same old Ubi formula with a Star Wars skin on it. No thx.

Not to defend the guy but I watched his preview and don't rally see the issue with it.
What I got from it is basically "It's a generic Ubisoft game but you might find enjoyment in it if you are a big Star Wars fan".
Which seem reasonable to me. It's the same as with Musou games, I'm not going to tell you Pirate Warriors or Hryule Warriors had incredibly deep gameplay and stories, but the setting did enough to make them enjoyable for me.

Kacho

Gold Member
Gmanlives delisted his video because people were accusing him of shilling. Then caved at the pushback and put it back up. When did he come become such a little bitch? lol

His channel was awesome when he was smaller and covered PC FPS. Lately he’s become lame.

saintjules

Gold Member
Why would anyone preorder something that is unlimited supply, and why would anyone trust the words of the access media hacks.

Because if you're a collector you may want to grab any thing that's pre-order exclusive (digital or otherwise), among trying to secure physical copies at launch.

I remember trying to get the FFVII Rebirth Deluxe Edition (physical). It was sold out at most retailers and would be a hard thing to find in retail. But a week before launch I was able to "pre-order" it beforehand within time. Not looking to buy from scalpers.

I also remember when Returnal first released. People were scrambling to find a physical edition and it was sold out in my area for nearly a month before you could find it again.

I dont think so, not everything needs to take place on Tatooine or the same 5 planets, they can even be completely original. Plus its not like the newer movies didnt have much more interesting visuals than the older ones.

I want blue trees, pink water, green rocks, brown sky, reverse flowing waterfalls and 5 moons with 3 visible stars or something imaginative, its a boring sci-fi if i can see the same boring trees, green grass, white coulds and one sun by looking out of the window.

They are trying to get the feel of the original trilogy i.e. seventies haircuts, space western vibe, everything could be shot in California - as it is an easy way to convince everyone this is good Star Wars as opposed to the shitty Disney films. See also Rogue One, Mandalorian and Andor.

makaveli60

This game screams boredom. It’s like even the developers were so bored of making it that they don‘t even care how ridicoulous the knockout looks. I can’t believe no one thought of giving her a gadget or something that knocks out enemies. They just didn’t care. It’s likeit was made in generic open world creator and it got an SW skin. And even the SW part is boring, like other posters said it’s just the same generic, boring, uninspired planets and locations we saw uncountable times. Why would anyone want to play this instead of the superb Jedi Survivor? Even the visuals are nothing to write home about. Doesn’t look bad but it’s nothing to write home about either. When Division 1 was released it melted faces even with the downgrades it received. But this? Just boring.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Interesting to see they brought in the mark & execute system from Splinter Cell Conviction (and the newer ghost recons)

Still not buyin it 😤 You ain’t gettin me Ubi!

Also I miss Splinter Cell and man Conviction was good.

Last edited:

Perrott

Jedi survivor set the standard for good Star Wars games I think people are criticizing outlaws but overall it gets a pass.
"Good Star Wars games" (excluding the superb but limited offering of Battlefront 2015) have all been cancelled because of stupid publishers politics in recent times. The Star Wars Jedi games are a couple of mediocre action/adventure titles that also happen to be awful Star Wars games.

Ubisoft has been the closest to capture the the magic of the Star Wars universe, but they may have fucked it up with the way they constructed this protagonist. Best shot at an authentic, story-driven Star Wars game are the action/adventure ones coming out of Quantic Dream and Amy Hennig now.

Madflavor

Skill Up talking about the game being mediocre but having fun just because it’s Star Wars, sums up Star Wars today so fucking well. People absolutely deserve the Key Jangling criticism when it comes to this IP. No other brand can tickle a person’s balls with nostalgia quite like Star Wars, no matter how terrible it gets.

Mossybrew

I saw that you can change your clothes but I still haven't seen some freaky alien barber that can change that atrocious hairstyle.

Anyway these final previews have confirmed it's a game I could probably get *some* enjoyment out of once it has a substantial sale in six months or whatever.

Top Bottom