• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midou

Okay I'm a little bumed I thought Roy was going to have a unique look like Marth does, but sadly he looks just like a standard Mercenary. That's a real bummer. Why create new art for the the portraits if you aren't going to make a new model to go with it?

Yeah, I am kind of pissed too. I mean I guess the only reason Marth has a unique model, is because it's similar to the one (maybe the same?) that 'Marth' in the full game has. Still, for $2.50, it's a recycled map with a different light, and a few enemies that just use existing character art, it's kind of a rip off, even for a fan. They aren't particularly great units anyways. For $2.50 I was expecting a unique model for each DLC character at bare minimum..

NeonZ

Okay I'm a little bumed I thought Roy was going to have a unique look like Marth does, but sadly he looks just like a standard Mercenary. That's a real bummer. Why create new art for the the portraits if you aren't going to make a new model to go with it?

Look at his new art - the shoulder pad and armor. It is just a stylized Awakening mercenary outfit. Although, yeah, it has a couple of additions that aren't in the model, like the headband and cape. Still Roy's DLC is one of the weakest ones in terms of content. There are some upcoming character DLCs with significantly better content though, especially the two that come with new classes, and maybe the ones with new skills too. Anyway, I'm a big fan of the series, so I'll probably buy everything anyway.

Willectro

Banned
Finally got my copy after numerous calls and emails (Future Shop online pre-order... never again) and I have been enjoying the game so far. The combat seems to have the perfect amount of depth. However, I really dislike the story. The rest of the game is good enough for me to overlook this luckily.

Look at his new art - the shoulder pad and armor. It is just a stylized Awakening mercenary outfit. Although, yeah, it has a couple of additions that aren't in the model, like the headband and cape. Still Roy's DLC is one of the weakest ones in terms of content.

The textures of the armor, his hair, and his face are all wrong on top of the missing things you mentioned. The model just doesn't feel the same this way.

Ike's new art specifically looks nothing like the normal Mecenary and Hero models its a real shame hes going to look like that if I were to buy that DLC.

Midou

Finally got my copy after numerous calls and emails (Future Shop online pre-order... never again) and I have been enjoying the game so far. The combat seems to have the perfect amount of depth. However, I really dislike the story. The rest of the game is good enough for me to overlook this luckily.

What don't you like about the story? It does pick up pretty quickly though.

I kinda lost interest when I learned you can't support or bang them. Any dlc give something practical, like high tier weapons or a lot of gold or what not?

Here's a description for all the DLC including the rewards for everything in the JAP version.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/dlc_jp.html#list

Some of the most notable would be Alm's and Eirika's DLC giving you the Demon Fighter and Bride class, the Entombed Heaven DLC which is a really good source for grinding EXP, and Ike's DLC rewarding you with the Limit Breaker Manual (a item that raises your characters maximum stats by 10).

vctor182

So yesterday i was talking to my coworker during lunch about games. He was looking at a PS3 bundle, I told him I was waiting for my copy of Fire Emblem, a strategy RPG where if your characters die they stay dead, he was interested (he really likes SRPGs) and started looking for images about the game, I told him I had the demo and lend him my 3DS.
HE.WAS.HOOKED.

He was praising the graphics, the 3D effect and the gameplay. We were back to work with our boss here and he was still playing. After the demo was over he said he really liked the game and looked how much it cost, 3DS prices, the amazing bundle (He didn't liked that it was pre-installed). At midningth he sends me a message cursing me because he just bought an XL and the game (And my copy still hasn't arrived!).

I showed him several games on my 3DS before but none of them made him purchase the system. I'm really surprised and glad.

NeonZ

The textures of the armor, his hair, and his face are all wrong on top of the missing things you mentioned. The model just doesn't feel the same this way.

Hm... the artwork includes some golden lines which are missing from the actual mercenary outfit, but it's hardly "wrong". Both the clothing and armor match the pattern on the ones that you'll have in a playable Roy. You're right about the face though - but at least as far as the hair goes I think that's basically part of the same problem as the lack of a headband, which results in a different hairstyle.

Ike's new art specifically looks nothing like the normal Mecenary and Hero models its a real shame hes going to look like that if I were to buy that DLC.

What? Are we looking at the same artwork? Ike's new artwork just shows him in an Awakening Hero armor and doesn't even have the extra details that Roy's artwork has, aside from the headband/cape thing.

So yesterday i was talking to my coworker during lunch about games. He was looking at a PS3 bundle, I told him I was waiting for my copy of Fire Emblem, a strategy RPG where if your characters die they stay dead, he was interested (he really likes SRPGs) and started looking for images about the game, I told him I had the demo and lend him my 3DS.
HE.WAS.HOOKED.

He was praising the graphics, the 3D effect and the gameplay. We were back to work with our boss here and he was still playing. After the demo was over he said he really liked the game and looked how much it cost, 3DS prices, the amazing bundle (He didn't liked that it was pre-installed). At midningth he sends me a message cursing me because he just bought an XL and the game (And my copy still hasn't arrived!).

I showed him several games on my 3DS before but none of them made him purchase the system. I'm really surprised and glad.

Wait your friend really likes SRPGs but didn't know anything about Fire Emblem? How is that even possible??

Javier

I just got a SpotPass notice that says the following:

- The Champions Pack (which includes the three CoY maps) will cost $6.00 after 3/6.
- FE4 is officially "Genealogy of the Holy War" outside Japan (I believe this was confirmed a while back, but here it is anyway).
- CoY3 comes out next week.

Midou

I had an opposite situation entering Fire Emblem, I was never a huge fan of SRPGs, I hated sorting through piles of equipment and managing each unit so much, even though I love games like Tactics Ogre, I can't play them for long because it'll get to one point where I need to get everyone new equipment, and I can't compare them to old equipment, and spend like an hour writing shit down or deciding what to buy.

I love the simplicity of equipment Fire Emblem games though, no worrying too much in most of them about armors, and accessories and all that, there is just weapons of different grades, and you use them based off scenario or if you have that weapon proficiency. Simple equipment and character customization but complex battle scenarios are the perfect combination, so you don't lose out because you missed out equipping some character properly.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So, my relationships look like this right now.

Anna -> My Unit
Sumia -> Chrom
Sully -> Lon'qu
Cordelia -> Stahl
Cherche -> Gregor (Cherche was my second choice for MU behind Anna)
Lissa -> Gaius
Maribelle -> Vaike
Olivia -> Henry
Miriel -> Kellam
Nowi -> Donnel
Panne -> Ricken
Tharja -> Libra

Virion and Frederick are left to themselves, sorry boys. It's a shame that
Say'ri, like Anna, can only marry MU.

Midou

So, my relationships look like this right now.

Anna -> My Unit
Sumia -> Chrom
Sully -> Lon'qu
Cordelia -> Stahl
Cherche -> Gregor (Cherche was my second choice for MU behind Anna)
Lissa -> Gaius
Maribelle -> Vaike
Olivia -> Henry
Miriel -> Kellam
Nowi -> Donnel
Panne -> Ricken
Tharja -> Libra

Virion and Frederick are left to themselves, sorry boys. It's a shame that
Say'ri, like Anna, can only marry MU.

Anna is kind of a waste skill wise, cause she won't have a kid so you won't have another character inheriting MU's skills. It works in terms of 'I think they make a good couple and I'll do whatever' though. :p

Planning out my relationships too, looking like this

Chrom x Olivia (already done)
My Unit x Vaike (already done,
just recruited Morgan
)
Maribelle x Donnel (done)
Lissa x Libra (done)
Cherche x Virion (done)
Sumia x Gaius (done)

and for future relationships...

Miriel x Gregor (almost done)
Cordelia x Frederick (almost done)

and looking at...

Panne x Stahl
Tharja x Henry
Nowi x Lon'qu

And Sully gets no one :( Is Sully's kid any useful? At least compared to those who will soon be paired up?

Kazerei

Banned
HE.WAS.HOOKED.

Devil Survivor Overclocked is amazing too! You should introduce him to that.

massoluk

Banned
I don't know how some of you guys keep firm with the no restart, no regret commitment path to destruction. Too many times did some asshole back up appear in the back out of no where and wrecked havoc on my team in this game. I was like, "Alright, perfect positioning, everyone in the right place, tight defense, room to maneuver offense, ready go", then 4 Wyverns jumped in from outside the screen, "FUCK".

I don't know how some of you guys keep firm with the no restart, no regret commitment path to destruction. Too many times did some asshole back up appear in the back out of no where and wrecked havoc on my team in this game. I was like, "Alright, perfect positioning, everyone in the right place, tight defense, room to maneuver offense, ready go", then 4 Wyverns jumped in from outside the screen, "FUCK".
I wonder if anyone on GAF has actually finished (or will finish) the game playing that way, though.

Giolon

Can anyone explain the character DLC to me? I downloaded Matthew and I have the option to Recruit, Fight, or Buy from him, and it says he'll disappear after I ch ooze any of the options. Is one of the choices clearly better than the others? I'd guess Recruit, but I want to have more info.

What? Are we looking at the same artwork? Ike's new artwork just shows him in an Awakening Hero armor and doesn't even have the extra details that Roy's artwork has, aside from the headband/cape thing.

Ike's art shows that while yes he's in the Hero class armor he doesn't have the extra neck brace, the right arm shoulder guard, or the left arm shield thing.

Javier

Ah well, still a better deal than Japan. What did it say about FE4? I'm at school so my 3DS can't get Spotpass.
They're sending the weapon Tyrfing through SpotPass, which they mention is from the 4th title in the series, Genealogy of the Holy War.

They're also sending the SpotPass characters from Sacred Stones. I got Seth.

vctor182

Wait your friend really likes SRPGs but didn't know anything about Fire Emblem? How is that even possible??

Well Fire Emblem hasn't been very popular over here. I first knew the series thanks to Melee and this will be my first entry to the series and I too like SRPG's so it's very possible

Roybr

Cant stop playing this game.
So good!
I cant never go on when a unit dies. Also when that happens i take a break.
So far only had to restart once.
Just want to finish so i can start playing on hard or lunatic.

Willectro

Banned
What don't you like about the story? It does pick up pretty quickly though.

It's just not for me. I find it to be very contrived and cheesy. I should note, I haven't played all the titles in the series, so I don't have an affinity towards the characters, so maybe that's the problem. Great game otherwise though. The story won't make me play any more or less.

zroid

Banned
This game brings out my most severe OC tendencies. I always dwell for ridiculously long on minutiae. :(

With three chapters and one paralogue complete, I'm at 7.5 hours. No deaths/restarts... yet.

I wonder if anyone on GAF has actually finished (or will finish) the game playing that way, though.

I did Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon with no resets.

But I broke my rule a couple times for deaths that were my fault, and I reset. I feel like I cheated. I also reset quite a bit when trying to get Anna in that Paralogue chapter. I don't consider that as "cheating" as much since it was the mostly NPC's fault she kept dying.

I really just wanted to see if I could figure out a way to recruit her despite her suicidal tendencies of standing in an open field surrounded by archers.

yami4ct

It's interesting to see everyone's relationships here and they're all so different. Mine right now are

Chrom-Sumia
MU-Lon'qu
Virion-Sully
Gaius-Lissa
Vaike-Miriel
Kellam-Cherche
Donnel-Olivia
Gregor-Nowi

I'm really happy with the results so far. Still looking for matches for the other girls, but I'm just going to let those just sort of happen naturally like this group did. Really like how the relationship system works in this game. Feels much more useful than in previous FEs.

Roto13

Can anyone explain the character DLC to me? I downloaded Matthew and I have the option to Recruit, Fight, or Buy from him, and it says he'll disappear after I ch ooze any of the options. Is one of the choices clearly better than the others? I'd guess Recruit, but I want to have more info.

You'll recruit them if you fight them, or you can just pay to recruit them if you don't want to fight them.

Either way, you can resummon them after they leave the map. It doesn't really matter what you choose to do with them. They come back an infinite number of times.

That's not DLC, that's Spotpass. If you choose one of those options, he'll disappear, but you can re-summon all the Spotpass teams to the map from the wireless menu.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

This is why I always leave some units further back than needed, shits fucked me over in other games so now I'm paranoid about it.

Guys if I dont download he free DLC before march Ill miss them and will have to pay? I still have to finish Radiant Historia, was thinking about starting Fire Emblem after that o_o

Midou

It's just not for me. I find it to be very contrived and cheesy. I should note, I haven't played all the titles in the series, so I don't have an affinity towards the characters, so maybe that's the problem. Great game otherwise though. The story won't make me play any more or less.

Ah fair enough. I like (spoilers because I don't know how far you are)
time travel
plots in general, except for one recent example in an RPG from early last year..

yami4ct

Guys if I dont download he free DLC before march Ill miss them and will have to pay? I still have to finish Radiant Historia, was thinking about starting Fire Emblem after that o_o

The first Champions of Yore map, a battle with recruitable Marth, must be downloaded before March. The Spotpass characters will be free forever.

Marche90

Mmm... what to do? I'm in chapter 15, but I stills haven't picked up a partner for my avatar. With who should I go?

Choices that I still have are:
-Cordelia
-Cherche
-Tharja
-Anna
-Tiki (although I stills haven't recruited her)
-Any of the second generation characters.

Opinions, GAF?

Midou

Mmm... what to do? I'm in chapter 15, but I stills haven't picked up a partner for my avatar. With who should I go?

-Cordelia
-Cherche
-Tharja
-Anna

Opinions, GAF?

2nd gen characters can inherit from their parents, then if your MU marries one of them, the kid can inherit that, so any one of them is a good choice too.

Rosters change every title, so that's not the problem.

-Cordelia
-Cherche
-Tharja
-Anna

Opinions, GAF?

Lucina because she's the best. Also for the awkwardness of the situation.

Brashnir

Picked this up off the eShop and played a few missions.

I haven't played much Fire Emblem in the past, but why do the 3d model characters in this game have no feet? Is that a long-standing tradition with the series? Every cutscene that uses those models leaves me distracted staring at all the peg-legs.

Picked this up off the eShop and played a few missions.

I haven't played much Fire Emblem in the past, but why do the 3d model characters in this game have no feet? Is that a long-standing tradition with the series? Every cutscene that uses those models leaves me distracted staring at all the peg-legs.

That's just the art style for the 3D models in this game. Going for the chibi look or something. Art styles change a lot in Fire Emblem. Will most likely go away in the next installment, unless the next installment is also on the 3DS and uses the same assets and stuff.

yami4ct

Wait, are there some children that you can only get by having specific pairs?

No, you can just maximize number of supports, certain types of abilities, and certain classes depending on who your pairings are. You have the same child options regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom