• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it mean anything when people talk in the barracks and say something like "hey we should fight together next time" without any relationship improved message or anything? Is there some kind of bonus to relationship increases in the next fight or something?

Midou

Yeah. I'm getting into a habit of switching it everytime I play but I shouldn't have to do this. >:[

I gave up within an hour, especially in one of the early chapters where I reset like 10 times, not going to spend an extra 30 seconds EVERY time, the english voices are fine anyways, most of the dialog is in cutscenes, which aren't super plentiful.

Esura

Banned
It's also possible to get NO stat-ups in previous games, but I've never seen it happen in this, but there were times where they only get a single stat, and one not that important to them, but it doesn't seem to happen too often.

Wow, that seems like that has the potential to be aggravating.

Each character has growth rates. Each level up, they have a certain percentage chance of adding to a certain stat. Most characters have chances that favor whatever class they are. IE, a mage may have a 60% chance to add to magic and only a 15% chance to add to strength. It used to matter more before you got unlimited reclasses. Now, if you have a bunch of bad rolls, you can reclass back to level 1 and continue growing instead of being stuck.

Oh, so I don't have to worry about it in Awakening due to all these reclasses. Nice.

I wonder what Asset and Flaw everyone here picked for their characters. I'm kind of second guessing my Magic/-Luck Avatar now.

I think I'm way too focused on opening up all the children paralogues and getting supports. I can't remember the last time I've done a storyline chapter...

rpmurphy

I gave up within an hour, especially in one of the early chapters where I reset like 10 times, not going to spend an extra 30 seconds EVERY time, the english voices are fine anyways, most of the dialog is in cutscenes, which aren't super plentiful.
It's funny though, you can see how fairly liberal the translation/localization was with this game based on the voiced dialogue. The second time through I'd probably play it with English voices.

So what's the best way to class up my characters?

Raise them to a certain level, then use a second seal, then raise that up and give them the master seal? Or just go straight to the master seal? or what?

It's funny though, you can see how fairly liberal the translation/localization was with this game based on the voiced dialogue. The second time through I'd probably play it with English voices.

Yeah, all the subs are probably based off the English voices so it's pretty off timed with the Japanese voices.

On another note, why am I fighting a random encounter full of nothing of charging mages.

Artemisia

Banned
Yay~ my copy arrived.

Rise up Rihallah, rise, this is the beginning.

Photo%20Feb%2007,%205%2002%2033%20PM.jpg

vall03

just a question, I just woke up and saw a new SpotPass for new DLC. Am I reading this right. If we wait for Champions of Yore 3 next week and buy Champions pack, we get both 2 & 3 for $4.00 since they discounted it until March 6 along with the first DLC which will no longer be free by that time?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
just a question, I just woke up and saw a new SpotPass for new DLC. Am I reading this right. If we wait for Champions of Yore 3 next week and buy Champions pack, we get both 2 & 3 for $4.00 since they discounted it until March 6 along with the first DLC will no longer free by that time?

If you buy the champions pack now, you get 1, 2, and 3 for $4.00 (though 3 does not actually RELEASE until next week: Think of it as a pre-purchase, like on Steam).

Once Champions 1 is no longer free, the pack will increase in price (champions 1 will be 2.50, and the pack will increase from $4.00 to $6 I believe)

GSR

Raise them to a certain level, then use a second seal, then raise that up and give them the master seal? Or just go straight to the master seal? or what?

I'm wondering this as well. I've got a couple units over level 10 and I'm wondering if it's still worth it to level them to 20 before promotion.

Mr. Fix

I'm wondering this as well. I've got a couple units over level 10 and I'm wondering if it's still worth it to level them to 20 before promotion.

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe13/skills.html

Take a look at the skills that unit's class plans on learning. If you're not interested in them, or their promoted class' skills or already got them, feel free to use a Second Seal to change classes anytime. Same goes for the Master Seal if you're not interested or have learned both of the tier 1 skills.

The general best trend, at least in former Fire Emblem games, is to level up to 20 before you promote. You could go to level ten for base classes since that's when they get their second skill, but you're missing out on ten levels of potential stat gains.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I finally got to the
time skip
. Chapter 11 was just insane with all the back-up that got called in. I thought it would never end. My A ranked Chrom/Sumia pair is beastly though, hard hitting far reaching. So good.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I beat this game this morning after having clocked in 35 hours. Normal/Casual might as well be called "Steamroll the entire game mode", especially if you grind for relationships like I did.

Playing through again with a female MU this time on Hard/Classic, and WHOA is this a huge jump in difficulty. I'm resetting every 5 minutes or less, and I'm only up to chapter 5.

I really liked the story in this game, though. Right up there with PoR on its own. The way they handled the children and inheritance in this game was even more interesting than in FE4. Speaking of that - is it true we're going to get DLC based on the
ruined future Lucina and co. come from?
Because that would be amazing.

This being my first Fire Emblem, I'm really happy I started on Casual to get a feel for everything first. I'm awful. ):

I'm excited to see all the stress and anger Classic will give me when I playthrough it on that.

now i'm just wondering who to use my first master seal on

Mr. Fix

The general best trend, at least in former Fire Emblem games, is to level up to 20 before you promote. You could go to level ten for base classes since that's when they get their second skill, but you're missing out on ten levels of potential stat gains.

We actually don't have to worry about this anymore. Even a maxed out promoted unit can use a Second Seal to revert to level 1 of any tier/class.

is it true we're going to get DLC based on the
ruined future Lucina and co. come from?

Yep. There's 3 parts to it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anna is kind of a waste skill wise, cause she won't have a kid so you won't have another character inheriting MU's skills. It works in terms of 'I think they make a good couple and I'll do whatever' though. :p

I gave no shits about passing down stats, or skills. I ended up going with Anna because she was interesting, had red hair and had no other marriage options. Marriage out of pity? Maybe. :p

vall03

If you buy the champions pack now, you get 1, 2, and 3 for $4.00 (though 3 does not actually RELEASE until next week: Think of it as a pre-purchase, like on Steam).

Once Champions 1 is no longer free, the pack will increase in price (champions 1 will be 2.50, and the pack will increase from $4.00 to $6 I believe)

oh! thats surprising, guess I'll get it now. Also can't believe the DLC system implemented here.

Ri'Orius

How does SpotPass work? Do I need to do something to turn it on? I don't think I've seen anyone special show up, but I'm only on chapter 9...

NeonZ

If they do decide to go with DLC for the next game, it'd be nice if the Lords had their own classes/grid sprites.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/fire-emblem/0/4

The whole setup for DLC here was added at the ending of development, and it's pretty clear they were heavily reusing the guest avatar structure to add them without changing the main game. I think the implementation in the next one would be better. I don't think they'd give unique classes to the Lords though, to be honest.

Well, they might give them classes, but, if Eirika Bride and Alm Demon Fighter here show anything is that most of those classes would be made to stand out by themselves, not just update old characters.

How does SpotPass work? Do I need to do something to turn it on? I don't think I've seen anyone special show up, but I'm only on chapter 9...

Go to the Wireless menu, bonus box, and then update. You should get some "NEW" tags afterwards on the teams and weapons.

Speaking of that - is it true we're going to get DLC based on
the ruined future Lucina and co. come from?

Kind of. It's actually an
alternate world that resembles Lucina's future, but it's not her real future - and the state of the world actually is somehow even worse than in hers

Chrom

You're supposed to turn it on from the option in the Extras menu, right after the title screen.

Midou

I gave no shits about passing down stats, or skills. I ended up going with Anna because she was interesting, had red hair and had no other marriage options. Marriage out of pity? Maybe. :p

I've switched mostly to 2nd gen characters but I still use her, I like her as well. It's too bad they couldn't make a few more kids for the remaining marriage options.

GSR

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe13/skills.html

Take a look at the skills that unit's class plans on learning. If you're not interested in them, or their promoted class' skills or already got them, feel free to use a Second Seal to change classes anytime. Same goes for the Master Seal if you're not interested or have learned both of the tier 1 skills.

We actually don't have to worry about this anymore. Even a maxed out promoted unit can use a Second Seal to revert to level 1 of any tier/class.

So it's more a question of interest in skills? Alright then. I think I'll stick to first-tier for the moment just to get more EXP off kills for now though, unless they changed that too.

Might promote Lissa early though. Pairing up works a lot better when the partner unit can, y'know, attack.

DaBoss

Just beat the game, that final cutscene I was going like "Wut?" I think I'm gonna try playing it again on hard later. I'm a fan of the series now. :)

Mr. Fix

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/fire-emblem/0/4

The whole setup for DLC here was added at the ending of development, and it's pretty clear they were heavily reusing the guest avatar structure to add them without changing the main game. I think the implementation in the next one would be better. I don't think they'd give unique classes to the Lords though, to be honest.

Well, they might give them classes, but, if Eirika Bride and Alm Demon Fighter here show anything is that most of those classes would be made to stand out by themselves, not just update old characters.

Thanks for the link. I don't mind too much about the Lords class, though I thought they did a really good job on giving all the campaign units unique head sprites (except for the Berserker class).

Midou

So it's more a question of interest in skills? Alright then. I think I'll stick to first-tier for the moment just to get more EXP off kills for now though, unless they changed that too.

Might promote Lissa early though. Pairing up works a lot better when the partner unit can, y'know, attack.

The only potential problem is in long term, since each character has like an internal level cap, which I think is around 50 for some characters, where they start to get super low exp afterwards. So for example

10 myrmidon (you learn their skill) - > 5 swordsmaster (learn first skill) ->15 swordsmaster for skill or 10 swordsmaster and use second seal to Hero

or

20 myrmidon -> 20 swordsmaster (then use a second seal to hero)-> 20 hero

The 2nd scenerio wastes a lot more levels, you will gain slower exp for promoting faster, but you have the potential to get more skills in the long run.

Midou

Ok, the paralogue where you recruit
Nowi's daughter
is putting my stress levels with this game at an all time high...

That took me 32 turns, I chicken shitted all the way through it. I lured enemies constantly and crept places with whole party slowly.

That took me 32 turns, I chicken shitted all the way through it. I lured enemies constantly and crept places with whole party slowly.

There are points where I think I have everything together, and then like three walls fall while half my party is spread out, and I'm just like "NOT LIKE THIS" as I'm scrambling to try and get everything to be ok. It's barely going well so far ;_;

How does kids work? You get a guy and gal to S rank, and then something happens?

Whats a good way to 'grind some love' anyways? Just pair up and do challenge or dlc stages?

Roto13

How does kids work? You get a guy and gal to S rank, and then something happens?

Whats a good way to 'grind some love' anyways? Just pair up and do challenge or dlc stages?

Exactly this. Except "Something happens" is "a paralogue opens up and you recruit a new character in it."

Exactly this. Except "Something happens" is "a paralogue opens up and you recruit a new character in it."

I see... btw what class does your baby start out as, or can you choose? Should I not even bother marrying until I have gotten some decent skills as parents, or does it not matter cuz you can just grind the kids up those classes anyways?

Are there even any 'bad' babies? Not sure if I wanna use a guide or just pick the most hilarious pairs.

Roto13

How do DLC skills work? Do you get an item you can use to give a unit a skill or something? Can you do it more than once?

Jarekx

Man, I feel if I don't level up and use every unit I'm wasting them. I'm ocd about missing some really good dialogue or a badass character. I'm going to have to do multiple playthroughs

And I hope donnel and miriel have an interesting support relationship. I thought it would be great to pair the bumpkin villager and the scholarly mage. :p

Roto13

I see... btw what class does your baby start out as, or can you choose? Should I not even bother marrying until I have gotten some decent skills as parents, or does it not matter cuz you can just grind the kids up those classes anyways?

Are there even any 'bad' babies? Not sure if I wanna use a guide or just pick the most hilarious pairs.

The default class is specific to the child (each woman has their own child no matter who they marry, as does your avatar character) but possible classes are partially dependant on what their parents possible classes are. It doesn't matter too much who marries who. Everyone's awesome in this game.

The default class is specific to the child (each woman has their own child no matter who they marry, as does your avatar character) but possible classes are partially dependant on what their parents possible classes are. It doesn't matter too much who marries who. Everyone's awesome in this game.

I see... so what happens when you finish that baby chapter, is there a 'woohoo' screen where you can pick classes from a list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom