• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esura

Banned
He can't learn the class, it's female exclusive, he/she just gives his/her children all of the non-special classes available to his/kids. So whoever his kid ends up being is insanely strong due to all the skill (class) options available to the kid.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it.

Oh, ok. So I guess I'll keep this guy a Tactician.

NeonZ

Hm... so, monster skirmish levels are basically always a few levels above the chapter where they appear, not actually based on your current level.

For FE veterans, how hard is Hard? Harder or easier then Hector's Hard Mode in FE7? Harder or easier then Normal in Radiant Dawn?

The problem with talking about difficulty here is all the possibilities to gain experience and units in this game.

Anyway, playing through it now, and avoiding skirmishes (well, actually, I've done some, but only with characters who have been thrown to the sidelines and aren't getting action in the main story chapters), it's generally harder than Radiant Dawn on "normal" (which was actually "Hard" originally) at least, and some stages seem to require much more unorthodox strategies than what would be used in most RD stages (like the one paralogue with npcs villagers running straight to pegasus knights on montains).

However, after I promoted Chrom and Lissa, they've started tearing apart the unpromoted enemies in the last two chapters. Things might get more balanced again when promoted enemies pop up though... And, thinking about it, I think only one Master Seal has appeared in the story chapters so far, the others I've bought from Anna. I guess I should have completely avoided her too in order to face the stages with a "purer" group.

In that case, I'd put it a little bellow Radiant Dawn's Hard/Lunatic (Micaiah's chapters), assuming you aren't getting any extras from traveling merchants or skirmishes. However, the difficulty can fall quite a bit with those, and even more so with the DLC, even just Marth's map would help a lot with the early game, where beatable skirmishes are less common.

Chrom

So you can only trigger so many support conversations?

Every character has a set of other characters who they can support with. You can as many A supports as you want with the compatible characters, but only one S support per character. The Avatar is a special case in that he or she can support with everyone in the game.

I don't think the difficulty modes scale well. I slept walked through Normal but had to play Chapter 2 twelve times before completing it on Hard. There definitely should have been an in-between level.

Money grinding tips for Hard, while I'm here?

NeonZ

Where do I get more master seals? I'm on chapter 10 and only found one which I used on Chrom.

By that point, there's only that one seal that will appear for sure. The other ones you'd need to get from traveling merchants on the map if they happen to carry them.

Money grinding tips for Hard, while I'm here?

Even outside of DLC, I've found that monster skirmishes appear often enough to ease any big money problems after a while. They're a few level higher than the original chapter they occupy though, so keep that in mind. Some of the initial skirmishes might be basically impossible for your party.

Totakeke

Playing on hard... I'm starting to think that I'm terrible at this game. I've restarted Paralogue 2 about 8 times now due to a unit loss. Damn that one hit KO boss. Feels bad man.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
This game's random spawn shops are trollin' me hard. Earlier in the game when I have no money to buy Master Seals and don't need 'em, merchant girls all over the damn map selling 'em. Now that I've got mad bank and a bunch of units to upgrade, bitches just won't appear.

Totakeke

I feel like I'm not playing this game right because I'm not abusing Pair Up. All my units feel kinda underleveled, and no, I barely used Frederick.

And the asset is obviously magic I wager.

I remember reading someone saying that pairing a mage avatar with this....

image.php

...gives you overpowered babies that steamroll the game. Is this true?

Any pairing with your avatar allows their children to have all the classes exclusive to their gender. So if you pair Tharja with the Avatar,
Noire
has the ability to gain a lot of good skills like Galeforce, which is extremely useful especially for a Dark Mage/Sorcerer.

Since once you change her from an Archer to a Dark Mage and slap the Nosferatu tome (This is the game breaker tome) on her, watch as she basically obliterates all the other enemies especially on the easier difficulties. This also applies to
Morgan
as well.

This is important to note because of the fact of how good the Dark Mage/Sorcerer class is and having one (besides your Avatar and
Morgan
) with access to many skills is always helpful, especially when on a difficulty like Lunatic (where having a good Sorcerer is almost required to have).

Mind you this isn't exclusive to Tharja alone (All Avatar children can do this) and
Noire
herself will always have access to that class, but it is useful since a lvl5 Tharja does give her and
Morgan
the skill Vengeance (Avatar can do this as well but you should have him give your children another skill) early on and I believe (not entirely sure on this) good growth rates on MAG and SKI for them.

And this is kinda unrelated but here's a video showcasing why the Sorcerer is one of (if not the best) class in the game. Featuring a Female Avatar Sorcerer (w/ Nosferatu) paired with Chrom, absolutely demolishing a map with enemies stronger than ones you face on Lunatic+.

Video does contain spoilers on an upcoming DLC chapter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaqA4JmXmQ0

For FE veterans, how hard is Hard? Harder or easier then Hector's Hard Mode in FE7? Harder or easier then Normal in Radiant Dawn?

Easier than Hector's and Radiant Dawn Hard mode for me so far, though I wouldn't be surprised if things change on the upcoming chapters.

I don't think the difficulty modes scale well. I slept walked through Normal but had to play Chapter 2 twelve times before completing it on Hard. There definitely should have been an in-between level.

This was a bit of a problem in FE12 as well. Normal was way too easy, but hard was still "hard" rather than a good replacement for normal mode.

Lunar15

I still don't really see the benefits of "pairing up" unless I wanted to train a weaker unit like Donnel by pairing him with someone I don't want to use much, like Frederick.

Am I missing out on an extremely viable tactic? Why can't I just keep my units right next to each other?

twelver

I still don't really see the benefits of "pairing up" unless I wanted to train a weaker unit like Donnel by pairing him with someone I don't want to use much, like Frederick.

Am I missing out on an extremely viable tactic? Why can't I just keep my units right next to each other?

I think pairing up nets you more support points, could be wrong though.

Totakeke

Pair up gives stat bonues. So a stat increase to strength pushes you over the edge of killing one unit vs letting it live. Having a better def/res stat will let your front line units take hits better. Extremely valuable.

The question is whether you're losing more by not having another individual unit. If that unit wouldn't be able to move/attack that turn anyway, using pair up would seem the best choice. Of course you'd have to consider you also have to waste another action to separate them. Pairing up sucks for training up the support units anyway.

Speaking of front line units taking hits, I have no tank except for Frederick. The cavaliers die too easily. Ugh.

The DLC idea is cool, but I think it's kind of pointless and has nothing to do with the main story. It's something I would do after I beat the game. I thought the DLCs were adding more stories to it like side quests, etc. It's just characters, right?

Thanks for the feedback on difficulty. I think I'll definitely go with Hard once I start. I like a challenge in FE, although I don't know if I'll ever go with Insane.

Chrom

Does this help?

RPGamer doesn't know jack.

Pair Up allows the player to control who exactly appears together in battle because Pair Up has the highest priority. The secondary unit may receive experience if they actually participate in battle, which they may do so if they perform a Dual Strike. In addition, the Pair Up mechanic functions as a more practical method of rescuing a unit because it guarantees the secondary unit from any kind of harm without hampering the safety of the main unit in any way, and Pair Up works great because it still works as a transportation mechanism to overcome the negative movement disparity of the two units (e.g., have a Pegasus Knight carry a Knight across a mountain range and switch over to the Knight).

To say that Pair Up is a pointless mechanic is very, very wrong.

The DLC idea is cool, but I think it's kind of pointless and has nothing to do with the main story. It's something I would do after I beat the game. I thought the DLCs were adding more stories to it like side quests, etc. It's just characters, right?

Most of them net you characters. Some net you exclusive items. Some don't do either.

Playing on normal but casual. I'll play it again on hard the 2nd time to feel that tension and to have a excuse to lengthen the replay value.

I realize that FE games have the best characters in SRPGs. I actually care about the characters. FE:A takes it further with the character pairing, relationship stats, etc. I love Tactics Ogre or FF Tactics, but it's all about the gameplay. I really didn't care if any of my characters lived or died because they felt so hollow. In FE:A, I don't want any of them to die.

A lot of SRPGs I played do a poor job with the characters. Another good one is Valkyria Chronicles, the first one, which is why I love that game.

So far, FE:A is my favorite SRPG next to Valkyria Chronicles.

scy

Even outside of DLC, I've found that monster skirmishes appear often enough to ease any big money problems after a while. They're a few level higher than the original chapter they occupy though, so keep that in mind. Some of the initial skirmishes might be basically impossible for your party.

First Skirmish I have on Hard is filled with Level 10s that double attack most my units and two casters that do ~20 damage ;_; The story missions were about half their level, lol.

I want to grindan game. Let me grindan!

I feel like I'm not playing this game right because I'm not abusing Pair Up. All my units feel kinda underleveled, and no, I barely used Frederick.

Conversely, at times I feel I'm Pairing Up too often. Being unable to do multiple choke points and/or being left with too few units actually capable of fighting. Though, I think this is more a function of who I'm bringing along and how I'm doing the pairings rather than anything else.

Though, Chapter 5 I'm pretty sure only went as smooth as it did because Ricken decided that he gave precisely no fucks about things like Math and chance and dodged three >80% hits. Tactics be damned when the RNG is on your side.

Delio

I cant STAND this grinding to get Galeforce. Maribelle has like NO attack stat and Lissa isnt gaining ANY levels. Save me the torment of this pain. Meanwhile Cordelia's kid is zerging much like her father did before her.

You don't normally leave two units paired up for an entire map though, right? Just occasionally when it's called for?

I pair up every unit for the entire map with the exception of maybe Lissa when I have access to an odd number of units. It becomes extremely difficult to survive on hard without doing so.

Lunar15

I pair up for the entire map with the exception of maybe Lissa when I have access to an odd number of units. It becomes extremely difficult to survive on hard without doing so.

But aren't a lot of units missing out on EXP? Sorry to ask so many questions, this new mechanic just kind of goes against a lot of the tactics I've learned to use as a veteran, so it's weird adjusting.

Can anyone do me a favor and list (in spoiler tags if need be), who you need with an S rank support to get:

Severa
Noire
But I assume that's Tharja?

I'm going to be working on some more supports and that stuff before continuing on with the main story, and already have a few set, but just want to find out those last two before I start going ham on it.

TWILT

Banned
Can anyone do me a favor and list (in spoiler tags if need be), who you need with an S rank support to get:

Severa
Noire
But I assume that's Tharja?

I'm going to be working on some more supports and that stuff before continuing on with the main story, and already have a few set, but just want to find out those last two before I start going ham on it.

Cordelia for Severa and yes, Tharja for Noire.

But aren't a lot of units missing out on EXP? Sorry to ask so many questions, this new mechanic just kind of goes against a lot of the tactics I've learned to use as a veteran, so it's weird adjusting.

Initially yes only one unit will be getting most of the EXP, but as their support goes up Dual Attacks will happen more often, giving a better distribution of EXP. Its also smart to switch who is the lead from time to time. I paired Chrom and Sumia up and would primarly use Sumia as the lead, but any time there was the risk of archers or lots of poweful axe user I would use Chrom.

also
XP is limitless in this game. It's no longer as important to maximize the amount of XP received in a battle.

If grinding isn't your thing you should still be okay.

You don't normally leave two units paired up for an entire map though, right? Just occasionally when it's called for?
I always have main unit paired up because of his skill that gives him exp bonus.

Usually not though.

Idk about y'all, but I'm really enjoying normal over hard. There is still challenge, but it gives me enough breathing room to build up my characters in ways to break the game, which for me is what FE games are all about.

KirbyKid

I always have main unit paired up because of his skill that gives him exp bonus.

Usually not though.

Idk about y'all, but I'm really enjoying normal over hard. There is still challenge, but it gives me enough breathing room to build up my characters in ways to break the game, which for me is what FE games are all about.

It's feedback/comments like this that are key in the research I'm doing. I guess, I'll have to comb through GAF to glean what people don't submit to the survey. :-(

At least there feedback is posted somewhere.

Noob question, what does rallying do? I'm at Chapter 25, still don't know what it does.

Depending on the skill that your unit has, a rally can increase stats like movement/magic/strength (maybe more, not sure) within a 3 square radius for a set number of turns.

Pair up is much more useful than I ever thought it would be for the reasons others have already stated. But you want to know another situation where you'll really be glad pair up exists? Sand levels.

scy

Man, my Donny got defense screwed and luck blessed.

=/ Mess, mess, mess.

My Avatar has almost perfect Magic growth so far.

He was +STR/-MAG.

Sumia so far has followed that logic too with near perfect MAG growth with only two points of STR over like 5 levels.

I guess casters everywhere for me ;_;

kidko

Starting a game on easy just to get to the point where I can get the free DLC. Been restarting CH2 over and over to get a no-death on Hard.

I love you Nintendo/IS but come on, gating the DLC store behind gameplay is kind of a weird/annoying move in the case of timed free DLC.

NeonZ

This seems to be a common question, but I don't see why. You can freely switch between the two units before each attack. I leveled up both Stahl and Sully using them paired up all the time, and only in the story chapters and paralogues, without grinding them at all. Also, like mentioned before, the higher their support ranking the more you'll see both attacking and getting experience at once.

Wilsongt

I think all of Donny's defense is moving funneled to Ricken. Boy is turning into a Rolf. But Ricken's resistance is terribad.

Chrom

Starting a game on easy just to get to the point where I can get the free DLC. Been restarting CH2 over and over to get a no-death on Hard.

I love you Nintendo/IS but come on, gating the DLC store behind gameplay is kind of a weird/annoying move in the case of timed free DLC.

Not to say that I disagree, but Nintendo gives you a whole month to reach the Outrealm Gate after Chapter 4. I don't think you should feel like you need to be rushing at this point, honestly.

Chrom

Can anyone check the eShop or the Outrealm Gate to see if a new DLC was added today? It's been a week since Champions of Yore 1's release.

Roto13

Pair Up is an amazing mechanic. So many great things you can do with it. Move a unit like Kellam to the front lines in the first turn by pairing him up with someone higher movement. Level up Donnel by making Frederick his support character so he can survive the first match. It's perfect for building relationships. An A or S-ranked pair is pretty much always an unstoppable beast. (I have Panne and Lon'qu married in my game and they're both assassins and I always have them paired together. No exceptions. They're a team.)

I love Pair Up. It opens up so many possibilities. In the late game, I paired up *everyone.* There wasn't a single unit that acted on its own. Except in that one mission where you have to protect that one characters.

EDIT:

Can anyone check the eShop or the Outrealm Gate to see if a new DLC was added today? It's been a week since Champions of Yore 1's release.

There's Champions of Yore 2 (with Roy) for $2.50 or a bundle of all three Champions of Yore maps for $4.00. I don't know if buying that opens up Champions of Yore 3 right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom