• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFu

Banned
Finished chapter 10 today, been doing random battles and getting people married. This game is too good. I love how you can fight the other fire emblem characters at will for grinding and stuff. Leveling everybody up is awesome, I like how everybody can be useful now.

Anybody has a good way of making money? I'm getting kinda poor in the game :(

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
The last battle was amazing ;_;

The music is so good. Need to buy the soundtrack when it's out.

Chapter 18 was too good, I love chapters that take place
in a volcano. Those fights are always godlike.

Gonna finish for today and pick up tomorrow, might do more grinding so I can start working on Paralogues, who knows.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Finished chapter 10 today, been doing random battles and getting people married. This game is too good. I love how you can fight the other fire emblem characters at will for grinding and stuff. Leveling everybody up is awesome, I like how everybody can be useful now.

Anybody has a good way of making money? I'm getting kinda poor in the game :(

Two ways I'm using so far (Normal Classic)

1. Buy Reeking Box for 500, beat it. One enemy will always carry a Boullion (S), sell for 1000.

2. Wait for two red enemies to spawn on the same spot, then go do the battle. There will be 2x the amount of enemies, but if you have strong dudes you can make it. After you win, Fred will tell you the villagers wanted to give you some stuff, and you'll get a good item plus 3000(!)G.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I am TRYING to understand this second seal shit, but I am stuck on one thing.

Serenes Forest said:
When a character changes from a promoted to a non-promoted class, they may receive a significant decrease to their stats (especially if the character has many capped stats). However don't worry, because the game keeps track of all stat gains.

Someone explain to me why I don't have to worry. I fooled around with this, I second-sealed Sully from a level 11 horse-whatever to a wyvern-something. And all her stats went down. Presumably because I went from level 11 to 1 in a non-promoted class. But in what way does the game "keep track" of my stats? Does it mean that if I second-seal BACK to the horse-whatever, it'll be level 11? Or I'll get all my stats back? Is the only benefit from all this second-sealing the earning of skills from that class? Once I second-seal into something, even something drastic from a promoted class to a non-promoted one, and lose all my precious stats, how do I get them BACK? If I can't COMPOUND my stat gains from class to class, what's the point?

FSLink

Banned

1. Buy Reeking Box for 500, beat it. One enemy will always carry a Boullion (S), sell for 1000.

2. Wait for two red enemies to spawn on the same spot, then go do the battle. There will be 2x the amount of enemies, but if you have strong dudes you can make it. After you win, Fred will tell you the villagers wanted to give you some stuff, and you'll get a good item plus 3000(!)G.

Yeah anybody have a strategy for this on Hard Classic or above outside of waiting for the DLC? Reeking Boxes are too expensive to make this effective at all.

Someone explain to me why I don't have to worry. I fooled around with this, I second-sealed Sully from a level 11 horse-whatever to a wyvern-something. And all her stats went down. Presumably because I went from level 11 to 1 in a non-promoted class. But in what way does the game "keep track" of my stats? Does it mean that if I second-seal BACK to the horse-whatever, it'll be level 11? Or I'll get all my stats back? Is the only benefit from all this second-sealing the earning of skills from that class? Once I second-seal into something, even something drastic from a promoted class to a non-promoted one, and lose all my precious stats, how do I get them BACK? If I can't COMPOUND my stat gains from class to class, what's the point?

Benefits:
More skills
More stats

Drawbacks:
Potentially lower base stat for that class (if a Mage has a lower atk stat than another class you were changing from).
...uh, that's it really.

It keeps tracks of an internal level and keeps track of "gained" stats per level iirc.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

Okay, I'm pretty sure it works like this. Every class has a set amount of "base stats" that it will contribute to a character. If your class has a base strength of 4 points and you change class to something that has a base strength of 1 point, you will lose 3 points of strength. All the other stat points that you have gained from level ups are unaffected by changing class.

Second sealing into a new class will always reset you back to level 1, even if you change into a class that you had leveled before.

Delio

DLC, Spotpass battles, random Risen battles (can summon with the reeky box, although it's expensive). Really the free DLC is great to catching up some characters that have fallen behind, but it gets old really quick.

I find the reeking box not that expensive. You get a lot of money from those Risen battles if you do enough of them.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Okay, I'm pretty sure it works like this. Every class has a set amount of "base stats" that it will contribute to a character. If your class has a base strength of 4 points and you change class to something that has a base strength of 1 point, you will lose 3 points of strength. All the other stat points that you have gained from level ups are unaffected by changing class.

Second sealing into a new class will always reset you back to level 1, even if you change into a class that you had leveled before.

Hmm this might make sense. Maybe when all of Sully's stats went down, I had first Master Sealed her, and she lost so much because a promoted class has much higher base stats.

So conceivably I could level up to 20, master seal, 20, second seal, 20, master seal, 20, etc etc until I completely max out every single stat category. Then reclass to some other class and have nowhere to even go from there in it, its highest stats would already be reached due to my "internal level." But those stats in each individual category may be higher or lower due to each class's natural distribution.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
So I beat the game in 38 hours on hard classic. My activity log says I've been playing it for 48 hours though lol. Them resets.

There's no way the soundtrack's coming here.
You should snap up the Japanese release now before it goes up even further in price.

Yeah, the full OST comes out next month. If only CDJapan would put it up for order...

Hmm this might make sense. Maybe when all of Sully's stats went down, I had first Master Sealed her, and she lost so much because a promoted class has much higher base stats.

So conceivably I could level up to 20, master seal, 20, second seal, 20, master seal, 20, etc etc until I completely max out every single stat category. Then reclass to some other class and have nowhere to even go from there in it, its highest stats would already be reached due to my "internal level." But those stats in each individual category may be higher or lower due to each class's natural distribution.

Im so confused.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Only on Chapter 6...

So far, I'm planning...

Chrom x Sumia
Virion x Sully

I'm thinking of putting the bunny chick I just got with Kallen because, well, it seems like a funny pair-up.

chrono01

I have a quick question in regards to Promotion/Re-Classing.

I've heard/read that there's an Internal level that makes the XP gain slower if you don't wait until your units hit maximum level before Promoting/Re-Classing. I'm currently trying to get Galeforce on Lissa [so her child can inherit it], so I Re-Classed to Pegasus Knight after she learned her two Medic Skills, and now that I'm Level 10 I'm able to Promote her to the Dark Flier Class [and finally learn Galeforce].

Would it be better to wait until she reaches Level 20 as a Pegasus Knight, or is it safe to Promote her now? Will it make the XP gain more difficult if I Promote/Re-Class early? I'm on Normal/Classic, if it matters.

I just finished Paralogue 2 and was able to save Anna, but the village got dunked. Is it worth redoing?

edit: also, according to the Hubba Tester, Chrom and Lissa are in love. Japaaan!

I find the reeking box not that expensive. You get a lot of money from those Risen battles if you do enough of them.

It's only cheap in normal mode since it costs 500.

In hard mode and higher it jumps to 4.8k meaning it could become quite costly if you aren't gaining back from the battles.

I think I just felt the wrath of the RNG

Paralogue 2
The enemy leader had 1 HP left and I decided to let Donny finish him off. Donny had about a 87% chance of hitting while the enemy leader had ~78% chance of hitting. Donny missed and died. Playing on classic too.
I'm going to go cry now.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I have a quick question in regards to Promotion/Re-Classing.

I've heard/read that there's an Internal level that makes the XP gain slower if you don't wait until your units hit maximum level before Promoting/Re-Classing. I'm currently trying to get Galeforce on Lissa [so her child can inherit it], so I Re-Classed to Pegasus Knight after she learned her two Medic Skills, and now that I'm Level 10 I'm able to Promote her to the Dark Flier Class [and finally learn Galeforce].

Would it be better to wait until she reaches Level 20 as a Pegasus Knight, or is it safe to Promote her now? Will it make the XP gain more difficult if I Promote/Re-Class early? I'm on Normal/Classic, if it matters.

So this shit here has the answer, if you trust some gamefaqs post: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-kakusei/62830609/701915393

It is exceedingly difficult to parse, though. I think that the idea is the higher your "cumulative level," the less XP you will get from weaker enemies. Using change-seals does... something. Adds to that level. But not 1:1. Man I dunno, I need to find a better link.

Delio

Having two enemies spawn has not happened to me yet. Is it really that random?

It's only cheap in normal mode since it costs 500.

In hard mode and higher it jumps to 4.8k meaning it could become quite costly if you aren't gaining back from the battles.

That's nuts.

chrono01

So this shit here has the answer, if you trust some gamefaqs post: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-kakusei/62830609/701915393

It is exceedingly difficult to parse, though. I think that the idea is the higher your "cumulative level," the less XP you will get from weaker enemies. Using change-seals does... something. Adds to that level. But not 1:1. Man I dunno, I need to find a better link.

*head explodes*

Thanks for the link!

That's...really confusing. I'm not sure what to do now.

I finally looked at the spot pass stuff and ended up recruiting someones avatar. I can't imagine how fucking crazy my character list will be in a month. It will drive me nuts knowing I can't level them all. This is dangerous.

Hero

So my Anna is kind of ridiculous. At lvl 14 she has 18 str, 27 mag, 28 skill, 27 spd, 35 lck, 11 def and 16 res.

Seems like being Trickster isn't that really effective though. Should I change her job class? I'm thinking about a mage with those stats.

chrono01

Okay, so from what I read, Promoting at Level 15 [after receiving your Second Skill in that Class] instead of waiting until Level 20 doesn't impact the Cumulative Level in any different way, since 20+ is always added to it [thanks to the more powerful unit your gain].

However, for Base Classes [and Second Class Seals], it's supposedly best to use the Seal early on, since Cumulative Levels do carry over. So the more you level in one class after learning both Skills, the more XP it will take to reach the remaining Level 1/10 Skills in the remaining Base Classes.

For instance:

Level 15 Tactician [after learning Skill #2] - 20 XP per enemy
Level 20 Tactician - 15 XP per enemy
Grandmaster [after Promotion] - 10 XP per enemy

If I used a Master Seal at 15, as a Grandmaster, it might lower the XP gain to 10 per enemy [since the Cumulative Level would increase to 20+ immediately]. The would also also apply if I used it on the Level 20 Tactician. So, in essence, if I were to stay as one Class throughout the entire game [in this case, Grandmaster], it might be better to wait until 20 to Promote, since you would easily gain the stats you would receive from Levels 15-20, and at the lower XP cost.

However, if I'm using a Second Class Seal and Re-Class as a Mercenary:

Level 10 Tactician - 30 XP per enemy

If I were to Re-Class at Level 10, I would be gaining XP at the new Base Class [Mercenary Level 1] as a Level 11 Tactician [since the game remembers my previous level]. This means I would learn the new skills a lot faster, since less XP = more levels. On the other hand, if I were to wait until Level 20 and Re-Class then, I would essentially be earning the XP for the Base Class [Mercenary Level 1] as a Level 21 Tactician. This would mean more XP to gain each Mercenary Skill, and thus, a longer time.

So from what I see, if all you're looking for are Skills, feel free to Class Change as soon as you reach Level 10 and earn your second Skill unlock [or Level 15 as Donnel]. However, if you're interested in Promotion, wait until you reach Maximum Level before doing so, so you can earn/gain XP at the much lower Base Class XP level.

What I'd like to know is what happens when you Promote and THEN Re-Class into a Base Class. Do you keep the lower XP gain from the Promotion, or does it go back to the Base Class values?

...My head hurts.

Mr. Fix

Okay, so from what I read, Promoting at Level 15 [after receiving your Second Skill in that Class] instead of waiting until Level 20 doesn't impact the Cumulative Level in any different way, since 20+ is always added to it [thanks to the more powerful unit your gain].

However, for Base Classes [and Second Class Seals], it's supposedly best to use the Seal early on, since Cumulative Levels do carry over. So the more you level in one class after learning both Skills, the more XP it will take to reach the remaining Level 1/10 Skills in the remaining Base Classes.

For instance:

Level 15 Tactician [after learning Skill #2] - 20 XP per enemy
Grandmaster [after Promotion] - 10 XP per enemy

If I used a Master Seal at 15, as a Grandmaster, it might lower the XP gain to 10 per enemy [since the Cumulative Level would increase to 20+ immediately]. The would also also apply if I used it on the Level 20 Tactician. So, in essence, if I were to stay as one Class throughout the entire game [in this case, Grandmaster], it might be better to wait until 20 to Promote, since you would easily gain the stats you would receive from Levels 15-20, and at the lower XP cost.

If I were to Re-Class at Level 10, I would be gaining XP at the new Base Class [Mercenary Level 1] as a Level 11 Tactician [since the game remembers my previous level]. This means I would learn the new skills a lot faster, since less XP = more levels. On the other hand, if I were to wait until Level 20 and Re-Class then, I would essentially be earning the XP for the Base Class [Mercenary Level 1] as a Level 21 Tactician. This would mean more XP to gain each Mercenary Skill, and thus, a longer time.

So from what I see, if all you're looking for are Skills, feel free to Class Change as soon as you reach Level 10 and earn your second Skill unlock [or Level 15 as Donnel]. However, if you're interested in Promotion, wait until you reach Maximum Level before doing so, so you can earn/gain XP at the much lower Base Class XP level.

What I'd like to know is what happens when you Promote and THEN Re-Class into a Base Class. Do you keep the lower XP gain from the Promotion, or does it go back to the Base Class values?

...My head hurts.

Brilliant post. I only know of Fredrick, and even if you use a Second Seal from the get-go to send him into a base class, he still only gains the same amount he does as a promoted class at the start of the game, which isn't much.

So the assumption would be that the game still does remember, and it doesn't revert.

...My head hurts.

I believe it keeps it since this goes in line with the max amount of levels the game remembers that depends on the difficulty, which I believe can lead to you gaining even less exp in higher difficulties as the game counts you as a higher level unit.

In normal it caps at 20.
In hard it caps at 30.
In lunatic it caps at 50.

chrono01

Brilliant post. I only know of Fredrick, and even if you use a Second Seal from the get-go to send him into a base class, he still only gains the same amount he does as a promoted class at the start of the game, which isn't much.

So the assumption would be that the game still does remember, and it doesn't revert.

I believe it keeps it since this goes in line with the max amount of levels the game remembers that depends on the difficulty, which I believe can lead to you gaining even less exp in higher difficulties as the game counts you as a higher level unit.

In normal it caps at 20.
In hard it caps at 30.
In lunatic it caps at 50.

Thanks for the reply/confirmation!

I guess I'll focus on gaining the Skills of the Base Classes first [well, those that interest me anyway] until I promote, just so I can do so for a longer period of time before the "Promoted XP Fatigure" kicks in.

Lusankya

If I were to Re-Class at Level 10, I would be gaining XP at the new Base Class [Mercenary Level 1] as a Level 11 Tactician [since the game remembers my previous level].

It remembers roughly half your level each time you use the second seal and only up to a difficulty depending cap (20 for normal, 30 for hard, 50 for lunatic).

chrono01

It remembers roughly half your level each time you use the second seal and only up to a difficulty depending cap (20 for normal, 30 for hard, 50 for lunatic).

Gotcha. So 20+ [since I'm on Normal] is the most that will ever be added to my Cumulative Level? Unfortunately, it seems like my Chrom/MU/Sumia/Lissa have immediately reached that cap, since I've already Promoted them, and will have to deal with the lower XP gains [even after Re-Classing]. From what I see, it's not terribly bad. At the worst, it's supposedly no less than 8 XP per enemy.

I might delay Promoting any further Units, though, at least until they gather the Skills in a few Base Classes first.

chrono01

They can't make it too easy for you to break the game now...

But you don't even need to learn every skill ever to break the game ^^

Haha, yeah. The completionist in me wants to get everything that's available skill-wise, but given how many Units there are, that really isn't an option [can you imagine getting every Skill on the MU? *shudder*].

I might just focus on the important ones [like Galeforce] and progress. Otherwise it'll never end!

Lusankya

Gotcha. So 20+ [since I'm on Normal] is the most that will ever be added to my Cumulative Level? Unfortunately, it seems like my Chrom/MU/Sumia/Lissa have immediately reached that cap, since I've already Promoted them, and will have to deal with the lower XP gains [even after Re-Classing]. From what I see, it's not terribly bad. At the worst, it's supposedly no less than 8 XP per enemy.

I might delay Promoting any further Units, though, at least until they gather the Skills in a few Base Classes first.

Only the use of the second seal (reclassing) leads to an increase of the internal levels. When you use the master seal to promote units nothing special happens (of course their new visible level is 21 as for all promoted classes).

chrono01

Only the use of the second seal (reclassing) leads to an increase of the internal levels. When you use the master seal to promote units nothing special happens (of course their new visible level is 21 as for all promoted classes).

Is the 20+ Level Promotion the reason why, then, that XP gains remain much slower pre-Promotion than after Promotion and then Re-Classing, since Re-Classing takes your current higher Promoted level [/2 and rounded down] into account?

That could be why leveling seems so much slower after someone Promotes and then Re-Classes, as opposed to simply Re-Classing without Promotion.

vall03

oh Severa, why so tsun to your mother. Anyway, she gets a slot in my main party now. Im a sucker for twintails, and dat hair flick during battles lol

Lusankya

Is the 20+ Level Promotion the reason why, then, that XP gains remain much slower pre-Promotion than after Promotion and then Re-Classing, since Re-Classing takes your current higher Promoted level [/2 and rounded down] into account?

That could be why leveling seems so much slower after someone Promotes and then Re-Classes, as opposed to simply Re-Classing without Promotion.

Yes, indeed.

If you e.g. have a Lvl 20 Swordmaster (that's a level 40 unit) to reclass to Lvl 1 Trickster, 20 levels are added to your internal level (that's already the cap for normal difficulty). So for exp gain your Lvl 1 Trickster (a level 21 unit) is treated as a Lvl 41 unit.

Being promoted always adds 20 levels to your visible level.

chrono01

Yes, indeed.

If you e.g. have a Lvl 20 Swordmaster (that's a level 40 unit) to reclass to Lvl 1 Trickster, 20 levels are added to your internal level (that's already the cap for normal difficulty). So for exp gain your Lvl 1 Trickster (a level 21 unit) is treated as a Lvl 41 unit.

Being promoted always adds 20 levels to your visible level.

Thanks so much for the clarification!

It all makes more sense now. :)

Ken

What's the bonus box stuff and why can't I find it? It says to go to Wireless > Bonus Box but I don't see "Wireless" anywhere.

Socreges

Banned
Champions of Yore 1 is a very cool experience. The music is excellent, plus all the dialogue from the classic characters.

Tempted to buy 2 and 3. What are people's thoughts?

What's the bonus box stuff and why can't I find it? It says to go to Wireless > Bonus Box but I don't see "Wireless" anywhere.
When you're on the world map, press X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom