• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrom accidentally one shotted
Gaius
on enemy turn. Sniff.

Is there a way to choose what action to do when being attacked, like defending and not attacking?

Units will always counterattack with the item in the highest slot of their inventory that is equippable by them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For using master seals, the trade-off is more stat gains before promotion or quicker access to better skills. Either way you go, you won't be penalized, so don't worry about it too much. But when using second seals, gaining unnecessary levels will raise your character's internal level and make you level more slowly, so definitely use second seals once you've gained the 2nd skill for your promoted class.
Ah, awesome. Cheers. :)

Mr. Fix

So there's no reason to even try to hit level 20 on the normal classes?

I'm just worried about being under-leveled, but I guess on Normal, that isn't really a problem?

I think promoting too much eventually decreases the amount of exp you gain. Another way to look at it would be like getting 10 levels (11-20 pre-promoted) at a fast rate, as opposed to being below average stat-wise later on where you're going to have a harder time getting those same 10 levels' worth of gains.

Roman

Yeah the story and worldbuilding is fucked. I could probably think up 2 or 3 paragraphs that would adequately describe a country or region in Elibe or Tellius, but trying to think anything substantial about Yllisse or Valm or wherever turns my head hollow. Those worlds aren't even that novel or original it's just there's nothing to work with in Awakening's case.

That's disappointing. To be fair Elibe isn't that fleshed out either.

I think promoting too much eventually decreases the amount of exp you gain. Another way to look at it would be like getting 10 levels (11-20 pre-promoted) at a fast rate, as opposed to being below average stat-wise later on where you're going to have a harder time getting those same 10 levels' worth of gains.
Using master seals sets your level to 21 no matter when you use it, so yeah, you'll level slower if you promote early. But you'll reach new skills quicker and if you end up using second seals and cross-classing, you'll hit your stat caps anyway.

Lusankya

I just realized that we're getting DLC at a slower pace than Japan did. Why??

Not necessarily. Japan got their first DLC on 19th April and the last (25th) one on 22nd November, so they got them over the course of 30 weeks. If the US gets a new DLC every week that'll be 24 weeks.

Mr. Fix

Using master seals sets your level to 21 no matter when you use it, so yeah, you'll level slower if you promote early. But you'll reach new skills quicker and if you end up using second seals and cross-classing, you'll hit your stat caps anyway.

Makes sense. Would it be beneficial to those who only plan on playing the campaign?

Not necessarily. Japan got their first DLC on 19th April and the last (25th) one on 22nd November, so they got them over the course of 30 weeks. If the US gets a new DLC every week that'll be 25 weeks.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/dlc_jp.html#list

Some weeks had 2-3 released, though not on the same day if IIRC. Roy's/Leif's & Micaiah/Alm/Money DLC were done within a week also.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Pretty cool that Chrom and Avatar get
two kids each. I assume one is canon and one is based on the wife? Though Cynthia is kind of underwhelming for me.

Only if the Avatar
marries someone who will have a kid. In my case, Anna has no offer spring of her own, only Morgan came about.

vall03

damn! I want to replay Paralogue 13! That was 12 vs 42. Took me 4 turns since I spent some turns going through the villages and the shining tiles. Add also the fact that I have three units that doesnt have Galeforce. What I also love is that I finished it with no scratch at all! I may be able to finish it in around two turns if I factor in additional units with Galeforce and no Villages.

GeekyDad

Good story so far, but oh God, the plot devices are really bad. I don't remember the FE series being so..."Tales of." Maybe it's because I'm coming off another playthrough of FFT that the story seems so ridiculous at times. But they are doing a good job of making me want more. Just finished Chapter 6, which set up a lot of suspense.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I still have yet to see a single master seal. Are these things rare enough that I have to farm for them? While I'm waiting for one to show up, everyone's rocketing up in levels and I'm getting sad. I kind of don't like unit promotion being tied to random Item drops.

Midou

I still have yet to see a single master seal. Are these things rare enough that I have to farm for them? While I'm waiting for one to show up, everyone's rocketing up in levels and I'm getting sad. I kind of don't like unit promotion being tied to random Item drops.

They shoulda auto-promoted at 21 like FE9/10, least for most of them. Chapter 12 sells master seals for 2500, first place you can buy them I believe. I got a few before that though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

They are only rare early on. Midway through the game, you'll find shops that sell them 100% of the time.

You aren't losing anything by waiting to promote units, don't sweat it too much.

Wiz

Just found out if you press "R" during a convo you can read all the dialogue up to that point. Pretty cool considering I skipped some text on a few occasions.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Every time there's dialogue with Kellam related, I end up laughing and being all like damn. I paired him up with Miriel, so I'm looking forward to the support convos with his son.

Seriously. I want to raise all his support levels just so I can laugh more. I love when he levels up and is like "Did you s..oh, nobody's watching" lol

Doorman

Man, this sucks...why do they give you Panne so early and then make it unable to buy extra beaststones until like 6 chapters later? I wanted to keep her leveled up with the rest of my main force, but it's still going to be a long time before I can replenish her attacks, meaning holding her out of all the side-battles for now. Boooo.

Seriously. I want to raise all his support levels just so I can laugh more. I love when he levels up and is like "Did you s..oh, nobody's watching" lol

Let's not forget this gem
tumblr_mhxyt2jGVf1qhhv13o1_500.jpg

Guys, it's so hard to go on...

I'm on Chapter 21 and just lost Lissa by accident since she has had no one to pair up with (I paired her with Libra but Libra is a bit too low to really be the most effective member of my team to bring on). I really want to start this chapter over... but I told myself I'd be doing a Fire Emblem Nuzlocke and that's what I'm going to do.

But it's so tough... ;_;

vehn

After playing this one I wanted to look into getting the Gamecube and Wii versions of Fire Emblem, but they are $73 and $60 USED on amazon, respectively. So expensive. . .

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's extra funny because if you level him he becomes an unbreakable wall and hits pretty hard too. I love my Kellam so much.

After playing this one I wanted to look into getting the Gamecube and Wii versions of Fire Emblem, but they are $73 and $60 USED on amazon, respectively. So expensive. . .

The Gamecube version is the one to get imo.

Mupod

Man, this sucks...why do they give you Panne so early and then make it unable to buy extra beaststones until like 6 chapters later? I wanted to keep her leveled up with the rest of my main force, but it's still going to be a long time before I can replenish her attacks, meaning holding her out of all the side-battles for now. Boooo.

Reclass her with a Second Seal. You'll need to at some point anyways, might as well go get some new skills.

I wasn't planning on using Panne but mine has gotten some freakishly good level ups. Like Donnel-tier stuff, every single level. So she's quite powerful despite being relatively underused.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about earlier. I love Kellam.

Doorman

Oh god I feel so bad for him now. XD

Mad respect for my Kellam though. He and Donnel are best buds now and together they form a pretty unstoppable wall. I think it's been several battles since I've seen any attack do more than, like, 3 or 4 damage to him.

Reclass her with a Second Seal. You'll need to at some point anyways, might as well go get some new skills.

I wasn't planning on using Panne but mine has gotten some freakishly good level ups. Like Donnel-tier stuff, every single level. So she's quite powerful despite being relatively underused.
I was going to reclass her at some point, but figured I'd rather do it after she learned her second Taguel skill. Still....level 15 feels like a long, long way away when her beaststone is already down to 30-some uses remaining.

Wilsongt

Went on a promoting spree last night.

Chrom -> Great Lord
FeMU - > Grandmaster
Ricken -> Sage
Lissa -> War Cleric
Lon'qu -> Swordmaster
Maribelle - > Valkyrie
Gauis -> Assassin
Sumia -> Dark Flier

Also, Chrom and FeMU were highest support, so they were forced together. :(

Good story so far, but oh God, the plot devices are really bad. I don't remember the FE series being so..."Tales of." Maybe it's because I'm coming off another playthrough of FFT that the story seems so ridiculous at times. But they are doing a good job of making me want more. Just finished Chapter 6, which set up a lot of suspense.
Doesn't help that 8-4 also localized the recent tales games lol.

It's a shame that I like everything about chrom except his character.

Just finished chapter 21.
Liked the bit of unique dialogue they made for the scene with Lucina if you're married to her. Now I'm wondering how it goes if Robin is Lucina's mom.

Busaiku

I wasn't expecting to use Panne much pre-game, but now I love her. (Her supports with Virion are a lot more interesting than I thought, I had them paired up by necessity at first, but now I'm really into the pair.) I'm excited for their offspring, I plan to make him a main in my army.

Yeah, but do stones come easy later on though?
Cause at this rate, trying to level them up would lose all their stones in like 2 maps.

Marche90

Just finished chapter 21.
Liked the bit of unique dialogue they made for the scene with Lucina if you're married to her. Now I'm wondering how it goes if Robin is Lucina's mom.

I wanted to see this, and I was going to, but I saved by mistake before I could restart the savefile. Oh well, for the next playthrough. I'm planning to do at least 2 more (Hard/Casual and Hard/Classic) so it's not a problem.

Mmm... also, do we get the SpotPass characters inmediatly after reaching Chapter 25 or do we have to wait until Nintendo send them?

KingK

Anyone else pair Sully and Chrom? They are straight up destroying shit in my game.

Yeah, Sully and Chrom just got married last night in my game, and they destroy everything when together. I can just send those two on their own to clear half the map.

Chrom

Mmm... also, do we get the SpotPass characters inmediatly after reaching Chapter 25 or do we have to wait until Nintendo send them?

All SpotPass content has its own release date, so don't expect to have all of the Bonus Teams for a while.

Yeah, Sully and Chrom just got married last night in my game, and they destroy everything when together. I can just send those two on their own to clear half the map.

Trying to level up my other units is getting harder, I have to fight the urge to send SulChrom out there to clean house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom