• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait what? Beach DLC?
Some of the last DLC released in Japan was beach and hot springs themed. The top two male and female 1st gen characters (based on an official poll) got special CG scenes of them in their swimsuits (see my avatar), and the top two male and female 2nd gen characters got special CG scenes of them in their yukata. (Japanese robes worn at festivals.)

Side Note: I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY hope NoA does a character poll for the US release and that we get some DLC based on those results too.

Effect

Ugh. I don't want to but I think I really have to drop down from Hard/Classic. I'm restarting battles far to often. I don't mind losing a character but I don't want to lose them in stupid ways and that how the battles seem to be going.

I've gotten up to chapter 5. This is the chapter that is making me think I need to drop down. It's looking like there is a series of actions I have to take exactly just so
Maribelle and Ricken
don't die in the first or second round. Yet I have no clue what I could be do differently then I already am.

I bought the DLC maps that are out. The free one and decided to get the pack itself so I could get the remaining two at the cheaper price. Would it help to do them to level up some of my army?

Do you get money afterward? That way I can update forge new weapons? Etc?

I haven't played them yet as I was waiting for the game to give some in-game reason for the Outrealm Gate to exist. It just appeared so I guess there won't be part of the story?

Gestahl

Yeah, there is that one with the water pouring down that was kind of neat, but didn't do anything. In general, unique maps and objectives are both essentially missing. There is like one map where you gotta move off areas or you take damage, and one of them is a psuedo-defend chapter, but they did seem to take out a lot. Fog, rain, night sort of maps were missing, at least there was some desert though. I like what they did with characters, supports, side-quests and the likes, but the core game feels a bit weaker than previous ones I've played (7,9 and 10)

Except
he is super weak and dies in one hit, then it turns into a regular fight after one turn.. and one fairly cool cutscene. This also happens in Radiant Dawn against the Black Knight who is actually hard. :p

Yeah I've been playing Sacred Stones since beating Awakening and even that has vastly more interesting map design, enemy placement, etc. In Awakening on hard most maps just amounted to how hard and fast my dudes could kill their dudes, generally in an open space, and I didn't really have to worry about unit placement past the midgame.

Hattori

Banned
Ugh. I don't want to but I think I really have to drop down from Hard/Classic. I'm restarting battles far to often. I don't mind losing a character but I don't want to lose them in stupid wants and that how the battles seem to be going.

I've gotten up to chapter 5. This is the chapter that is making me think I need to drop down. It's looking like there is a series of actions I have to take exactly just so
Maribelle and Ricken
don't die in the first or second round. Yet I have no clue what I could be do differently then I already am.

I bought the DLC maps that are out. The free one and decided to get the pack itself so I could get the remaining two at the cheaper price. Would it help to do them to level up some of my army?

I haven't played them yet as I was waiting for the game to give some in-game reason for the Outrealm Gate to exist. It just appeared so I guess there won't be part of the story?
Nope, just exp points and some rare weapons and second seals

Okay when do the babies come? I've got Chrom married and Avatar married. I'm doing chapter 12 now and no babies yet except for Chroms but she hasn't affected the gameplay yet.

Here's how I interpret the difficulty levels in Fire Emblem: Awakening

- My First Fire Emblem mode
- Easy mode ("Hard" with grinding)
- Normal mode ("Hard" without grinding)
- Tie You Up And Force You To Watch The Murder Of Your Entire Family mode

zroid

Banned
Ugh. I don't want to but I think I really have to drop down from Hard/Classic. I'm restarting battles far to often. I don't mind losing a character but I don't want to lose them in stupid wants and that how the battles seem to be going.

Maribelle and Ricken

I'm a newcomer to the series and also playing on Hard/Classic -- Chapter 5 gave me a challenge too (had to restart several times)

There are probably a few different approaches you can take, but ultimately what I found successful at the beginning was:

1. pair Mirabelle up with Ricken straight away and move them down towards the cliff

2. pair someone up with Sumia (I used Chrom) and then fly her up over the cliff, adjacent to the enemy mage, on the right, and attack with whichever char can take and/or deliver more damage

3. send a ranged attacker to finish off the mage from below, hopefully one with a bit of defense

4. send a couple units to take out the enemies on the left (or draw their approach and counterattack)

of course after this the wyvern riders start dropping down on you, so you're not out of the woods yet. But I managed to fall back to the starting area and cluster together to deal with them.

- Easy mode ("Hard" with grinding)

damn you, stop gloating :(

To add to the earlier Cordelia discussion, I just want to mention that it just reinforced my desire to ship her with Kellam and made me call them The Unnoticeables.

Okay when do the babies come? I've got Chrom married and Avatar married. I'm doing chapter 12 now and no babies yet except for Chroms but she hasn't affected the gameplay yet.

Almost there.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Wait, why is Gaius so popular.

cuz assassins are the shit. I remember when I recruited Jaffar in the first fire emblem. I restarted that chapter around 45 times just to nab him, you had to time that recruitment chat so perfectly. That entire chapter was so hard xD.

I don't think there's any shame to having some difficulty with Hard mode. Hard is basically "Normal" on this game. Any game on its "Normal" setting should still present a challenge. Of course, grinding can level you up, so you can power through a lot, which is why I think it needs to be differentiated from "Hard" mode.

That said, I'm sure there are people who have beaten Lunatic that think I suck at the game. So it's all relative to your experience with the series. Even if I was willing to grind, I can't even get to the Chapter that unlocks the DLC and random encounters on Lunatic!

edit:

I was also being a little hyperbolic for effect. :p

cuz assassins are the shit. I remember when I recruited Jaffar in the first fire emblem. I restarted that chapter around 45 times just to nab him, you had to time that recruitment chat so perfectly. That entire chapter was so hard xD.

Jaffer is badass though, either i got fucked with RNG, or Gaius is just not good. He makes an alright archer though.

That chapter literally made me ragequit last time I tried to beat Blazing Sword.

Wait, why is Gaius so popular.
He's pretty and he likes candy.

For anyone interested in the official poll results from Japan, click here. (Note: Link contains MAJOR spoilers.)

Though I don't really dislike anyone in the cast so far, the results are a bit meh to me. (Though I think IntSys was probably a bit surprised by how low certain characters ranked.) I'd be very curious to see how a US poll differs.

Effect

I'm a newcomer to the series and also playing on Hard/Classic -- Chapter 5 gave me a challenge too (had to restart several times)

There are probably a few different approaches you can take, but ultimately what I found successful at the beginning was:

1. pair Mirabelle up with Ricken straight away and move them down towards the cliff

2. pair someone up with Sumia (I used Chrom) and then fly her up over the cliff, adjacent to the enemy mage, on the right, and attack with whichever char can take and/or deliver more damage

3. send a ranged attacker to finish off the mage from below, hopefully one with a bit of defense

4. send a couple units to take out the enemies on the left (or draw their approach and counterattack)

of course after this the wyvern riders start dropping down on you, so you're not out of the woods yet. But I managed to fall back to the starting area and cluster together to deal with them.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah I've been playing Sacred Stones since beating Awakening and even that has vastly more interesting map design, enemy placement, etc. In Awakening on hard most maps just amounted to how hard and fast my dudes could kill their dudes, generally in an open space, and I didn't really have to worry about unit placement past the midgame.

Huh, that's discouraging. I'm only through chapter two and I'm already feeling like I can't form effective unit formations or use the terrain to my advantage as much as I'd like because the maps are just open fields so far and, like you've said, things are just boiling down to whether or not I can kill my enemies faster than they can kill me (I'm also on Hard/Classic). I'm still having fun, I'll just be disappointed if there isn't more map variety.

I'm getting the feeling that multiple playthroughs are going to be necessary for me to grasp all of the intricacies of breeding and inheritance. I was on complete blackout before today and didn't even know that these mechanics were in the game until now.

For anyone interested in the official poll results from Japan, click here. (Note: Link contains major spoiler.)

Though I don't really dislike anyone in the cast so far, the results are a bit meh to me. (Though I think IntSys was probably a bit surprised by how low certain characters ranked.) I'd be very curious to see how a US poll differs.
I'm shocked that Nowi is so low. Are you even trying, Japan?

For anyone interested in the official poll results from Japan, click here. (Note: Link contains major spoiler.)

Voting for your avatar seems like a cop-out.

I can't believe Olivia is where she's at. She's one of my favorites :(

And ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu I only have the last TWO chapters and I have to go to bed for work and then study tomorrow for Philosophy.

I'm going to have Fire Emblem on the brain all day...

Edit: And Maribelle where she's at too!? Come on Japan, pick it up.

johnsmith

remember me
OMG!

Tharja PVC figure announced at Wonderfes! Max Factory is sculpting/releasing it. I will definitely be purchasing that one!

91aqVCJ.jpg

Man, you should have posted this on the figure thread. Hadn't realized this was a FE figure when I first saw it.

Ugh. I don't want to but I think I really have to drop down from Hard/Classic. I'm restarting battles far to often. I don't mind losing a character but I don't want to lose them in stupid ways and that how the battles seem to be going.

Maribelle and Ricken

I'm struggling through this difficulty as well, but I just beat this portion. I was able to get through it by
Clearing the way just north of the starting point so that those two characters can make their way down. Maybe have them wait a turn to the right hand side. Then pull everyone down and put up a defensive formation to take out the dragons that come flying down in 2 waves. Then make your way north. It may help to pair those two with other characters.

Now I'm trying to make it through the Ch. 6 battle without letting the NPC go.

KJA

Personally I would go Dark Knight for Lifetaker, Great Knight for Luna, and Hero for Sol. The one hard choice for me is between Dark Knight and Sorcerer the growth rate on Sorcerer are better and they have Vengeance, but Vengeance is never going to be as consistent as Lifetaker.

I hope you're right. I just made Tharja into a Dark Knight and she's leveling up pretty fast.

I might have to go with a Paladin over a Great Knight though. I already have a Great Knight (Frederick), so I want to change things up a bit. If anything, I can just use a Second Seal later on, since Sol is attainable at Level 5.

Busaiku

Fire Emblem is more popular with females than most smaller RPGs, that's why the results aren't what you'd expect given all the archetypes present.

Personally I would go Dark Knight for Lifetaker, Great Knight for Luna, and Hero for Sol. The one hard choice for me is between Dark Knight and Sorcerer the growth rate on Sorcerer are better and they have Vengeance, but Vengeance is never going to be as consistent as Lifetaker.

well lets not forget about nostaefaewafwaefu

Busaiku

They're also making a Lucina figure, I'll get that at least.
Though it's still a long ways off.

I still don't understand why there are no Marth figures.
This doesn't count.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So how does one get Priam?

Also what is the best way to grind relationships, especially when one of the pair members has a relatively low level?

One thing I'm confused about, should I use a seal to change a charcter's job as soon as they reach level 10 or save it until they max out their base class? Also: healers level up absurdly fast compared to everyone else. Lissa is level 15 right now in chapter 7 (having done the first few paralogues though) with everyone else being 7-10.

Yea that chapter 5 on hard/classic is tough i had to restart so many times because i'd lose 1 person.. i had just completed it near perfectly except i made a mistake with 1 character and they died.. it's a melee axe wielder.. i forget his name.. chromes buddy that always wants to fight him... not sure if i'm going to retry the mission once more or just move on without him. Sigh Hard is nuts on the first playthrough

Which matter little in this case since they both have access to it. The dark tomes in general have low hit rates I'd rather stick to Lifetaker's guaranteed life steal with fire or thunder type tome.

Still, from what I've seen people comment, Nosferatu helps to break the game. Chrom/Sorcerer MU S support with Nosferatu>>>>>>the entire game including Lunatic.

So how does one get Priam?

Also what is the best way to grind relationships, especially when one of the pair members has a relatively low level?

If I'm not mistaken Priam and all the special story characters are recruitable from Spotpass missions that are available to "download" once you finish the second to last chapter of the story.

Still, from what I've seen people comment, Nosferatu helps to break the game. Chrom/Sorcerer MU S support with Nosferatu>>>>>>the entire game including Lunatic.
Lifetaker and Nosferatu have the exact same effect. It becomes a matter of sticking to a single tome or always using that specific skill.

Managed to unlock the Stahl and Cordelia S support and while it still mentions Chrom its probably the least "fine I guess I'll settle for you" of all the S supports for her I've seen.

Managed to unlock the Stahl and Cordelia S support and while it still mentions Chrom its probably the least "fine I guess I'll settle for you" of all the S supports for her I've seen.

I found Cordelia and Ricken's supports were pretty Chrom-free expect for one line at the S level where Ricken basically says yeah, we all know you like him. It was nice too since it didn't completely sound like she was settling for him that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom