• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

massoluk

Banned
I promised I get myself Pegasus Knight waifu, so I did. Avatar X Cordelia, ftw.

Also the most I got best pairing of man afraid of woman x woman afraid of man: Lon'qu x Olivia. Offensive machine as both are myrrmidon and they just won't stop hitting.

I promised I get myself Pegasus Knight waifu, so I did. Avatar X Cordelia, ftw.

Also the most I got best pairing of man afraid of woman x woman afraid of man: Lon'qu x Olivia. Offensive machine as both are myrrmidon and they just won't stop hitting.

I was planning on hooking up Chrom with Cordelia, until it became apparent that Chrom will only marry certain characters. He has terrible taste. I'm going to have to go with the insufferable Sumia all over again. : (

Why can't he just marry Gaia and make spirit babies.

Forkball

Oh man. I only got like 5000G too and a lot of my character's weapons are in the single digits.

Going to Chapter 4 and I haven't gotten any more money yet.

You will get them as drops fairly common later on. More shops will open up too, and special merchants will sell you things at discount prices. Don't worry about it.

My pairs so far:
ChromXSumia
KellamXCordelia
FrederickXCherche
SullyXStahl

Working on:
VaikeXLissa
PanneXLonqu (they are at B support and so far their support convos show they are not fond of one another at all)

[edit]Also, are kids' hair colors determined by their parents or is it a coincidence?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I missed out Miriel's son because I didn't know Chrom has to talk to the village, not just another NPC :/

Boss Doggie

D'oh. You could've visited with Miriel to get him too.

I wasn't using Miriel and her husband (heheheh Donnel) because I was building up relationship of others :(

Then again the offspring chemistry would've sucked anyway, since Donnel's pure fighter.

My little step brother turned twelve and I got him Fire Emblem. I'm hoping to expand his horizons because the only games he seems to enjoy are FPS and Mario games (not that there's anything wrong with either).

I thought Awakening would be the perfect Trojan horse here because when I was his age, the shipping of cute anime girls would have sunk its claws deep inside my hormonal brain and never let go.

I feel kind of dirty now, in retrospect.

Mr. Fix

so uh... Brady, Gerome, Yarne and Laurent, any opinions with them? still thinking whether to train them or not.

Hah! Except for Gerome, these 3 kids are the only other ones I have no interest in. I thought Gerome was pretty good as a Wyvern Lord. This time I'll trying using Laurent as a Sage.

Quick question: One of my soldiers just reached level 10, should I upgrade his class now or wait until level 20?

Pre-promoted? Yeah, go for it if they already learned both of their skills for that class.

Forkball

Major Ch 9 Spoilers

RIP Emmeryn ;_;

Chapter 9 summary:

GODS
GODS
GODS
GODS
GODS

When I first saw that one of the characters name was Gangrel, I immediately thought of the former WWF wrestler by the same name who had a vampire gimmick. One of Gangrel's generals is also named Orton, the name of a current popular WWE wrestler. Interesting coincidence.

GeekyDad

The atmosphere and music in Chapter 10 was excellent, and the battle was quite enjoyable. But the dialogue afterward...ugh. It's such a frustrating game story-wise. There's a great story foundation, but the details are so horrible at times.

In other news, I let Donnel hook up with MU, Nowi and Gregor are hitched, as well as Sully and the archer dude. Someone said earlier this is a matchmaking game with battles. It kinda feels like that at times. The ends justify the means, though. Love this game.

SaberVulcan

Hey guys, quick question about promotions(again).

So lets say I want to make my Lord character also have the Thief skills, but also want to eventually promote him to Great Lord. Would the correct course be to give him the second class before or after the promotion? Would changing him to a thief remove the ability to become a Great Lord?

I have a handful of level 15s, and looking to promote/add a class, so not really sure which is the correct way to do it.

Doorman

So lets say I want to make my Lord character also have the Thief skills, but also want to eventually promote him to Great Lord. Would the correct course be to give him the second class before or after the promotion? Would changing him to a thief remove the ability to become a Great Lord?

I have a handful of level 15s, and looking to promote/add a class, so not really sure which is the correct way to do it.

Off the top of my head IIRC, Chrom can't become a thief anyway, so that question becomes kind of moot. :p
He can become a lord, archer, or cavalier and their various promotions (great lord, bow knight, sniper, paladin, great knight).

Mr. Fix

If you want to have him end off as a Great Lord, you should do the Thief class up to level 10, use a change seal to promote him to an Assassin or Trickster, level that up to 15 (for the 2nd skill) and then reclass to a Great Lord with a Second Seal. It isn't possible to go straight from a Thief to Great Lord though.

Off the top of my head IIRC, Chrom can't become a thief anyway, so that question becomes kind of moot. :p
He can become a lord, archer, or cavalier and their various promotions (great lord, bow knight, sniper, paladin, great knight).

I really suck at remembering these things. :I

SaberVulcan

It was more of a hypothetical. So, basically if I make Chrom an Archer, I could then promote him to a Great Lord after that?

Additionally, just thought of this, if I promote him to a Great Lord first, could I then second class him to a Bow Knight without ever being an Archer?

Edit: Was answered. Thank you Mr. Fix.

GeekyDad

Think I've been playing too much of this game. The text from the thread posts was just popping off the screen in 3D. My eyes!

Doorman

Think I've been playing too much of this game. The text from the thread posts were just popping off the screen in 3D. My eyes!

Welcome to the true power of the 3DS. Now not even real life itself has enough depth for you!

Anyway to perhaps help answer some of what can/cannot be done with reclassing, here's a quick and dirty little timeline to show what can be done when:

Unpromoted classes:
Level 1 > First skill learned
Level 10 > Second skill learned; can second seal to change to level 1 of another unpromoted class, or master seal into a promotion of the current class
(Nothing new is "unlocked" between levels 10-20 of unpromoted classes outside of better EXP scaling if you plan to promote later)

Promoted classes:
Level 1 > Can second seal to change to any of the units unpromoted classes
Level 5 > First skill learned
Level 10 > Can second seal to change to level 1 of any of the units playable classes, including promotions
Level 15 > Second skill learned

Promotion-free classes (Dancer, Villager, Taguel, Manakete, DLC classes):
Level 1 > First skill learned
Level 10 > Can second seal to change to level 1 unpromoted class
Level 15 > Second skill learned
Level 30 > Can second seal to change to any available class, promoted or not

Mupod

Man, Olivia is terrible for leveling even with the Avatar paired with her :/

Do a skirmish with enemy archers, kill all but one or two and trap them behind a chokepoint blocked off by your toughest unit. This way you can just have Olivia dance for your amusement for hundreds of turns and hit 15 as a dancer easily, then you're free to reclass to pegasus knight. My Olivia got amazing levelups and had no trouble keeping up with the team afterwards.

I did this and later another variation where I had Vaike (high hp, no dodge) blocking the point. This way he took damage every turn and I could level my healers by using heal staves on him. I suppose if you wanted to be efficient you could do both these things at once. Enemy weapons eventually break at which point you can get even more exp by having a super low level unit freely wail on them with a weak weapon.

So far I've been using the map which takes place on a bunch of boats. It's super small and has 3 convenient choke points, all of which are 1-2 spaces wide.

...I tend to overkill on things like this in SRPGs. At least now I know what I'm doing for Lunatic.

Anteo

Do a skirmish with enemy archers, kill all but one or two and trap them behind a chokepoint blocked off by your toughest unit. This way you can just have Olivia dance for your amusement for hundreds of turns and hit 15 as a dancer easily, then you're free to reclass to pegasus knight. My Olivia got amazing levelups and had no trouble keeping up with the team afterwards.

I did this and later another variation where I had Vaike (high hp, no dodge) blocking the point. This way he took damage every turn and I could level my healers by using heal staves on him. I suppose if you wanted to be efficient you could do both these things at once. Enemy weapons eventually break at which point you can get even more exp by having a super low level unit freely wail on them with a weak weapon.

So far I've been using the map which takes place on a bunch of boats. It's super small and has 3 convenient choke points, all of which are 1-2 spaces wide.

...I tend to overkill on things like this in SRPGs. At least now I know what I'm doing for Lunatic.

Or you could just give her a sword and let her get some kils. You know, as dancers can attack now.

MechaX

Now I think I'm just grinding and over leveled at this point. I haven't finished CH 7, but I have a FemMU Grandmaster at level 5, Chrom at Level 15, Sumia at 18, Vaike at 15, Sully and Stahl at 14, and I'm working on getting supports for Lon'qu and Panne. I'm more obsessing over getting supports just in case there is a cut-off, but eh.

Lon'qu is kind of... interesting. He seems cool enough, but I want to yell at him for having RNG-screwed level ups at this point. Pretty much Skill, Speed, and Luck every level thus far. Maybe I'm just expecting all Myrmidons to be Mia's at this point and maybe that's too high of an expectation. But damnit Lon'qu, I need some strength-ups too.

Is there another Myrmidon that comes up later, and/or should I just try leveling up Gaius instead?

Mupod

Or you could just give her a sword and let her get some kils. You know, as dancers can attack now.

jbrvnzt6DlM0Px.png

McNum

They can what now?

That sounds kind of useful, but I'd imagine getting a powerful unit to attack again might be worth more in most cases.

What happens if you use a dance on a unit that's paired up, by the way?

Korosenai

Started with a normal/casual playthrough, and just started a hard/classic playthrough. I cannot beat chapter 3 without losing somebody. It sucks.

Anteo

They can what now?

That sounds kind of useful, but I'd imagine getting a powerful unit to attack again might be worth more in most cases.

What happens if you use a dance on a unit that's paired up, by the way?

Well since you can grind spotpass battles as much as you want, it doesnt matter.

About your question, the pair gets a turn, but as always, only one of them can attack (the other can support if the RNG is with you).

massoluk

Banned
Olivia is still freaking weak as a dancer even if you give her the sword though. I'll probably get her back as a dancer class after I'm done leveling up her Str in the end.

Are weapon proficiencies kept even when you 2nd seal into a class that can't use that weapon? For example, if I have A rank in swords, move into a class that can't use swords, and later reclass again into a sword using class, will I regain my A rank or will it completely reset?

Are weapon proficiencies kept even when you 2nd seal into a class that can't use that weapon? For example, if I have A rank in swords, move into a class that can't use swords, and later reclass again into a sword using class, will I regain my A rank or will it completely reset?

You will keep the A rank.

I beat the game last night (Got it a week early due to being Canadian). It took about 30 hours, I did about two thirds of the side quests. I've played FE6-10, and Awakening, and I think I can easily say that Awakening is the best game in the series out of those. It's the only one where I've wanted to jump back into right away and start a new playthrough.

Galang

Banned
As much as I loved the past fire emblem games, I love Awakening a lot more than the past games even after only playing the first few hours. Amazing game. In every game I always choose my units based on looks. Don't care about much about advantages of the individual stats, but maybe on Lunatic I'll have to this time.

Don't tell me what this IS, but is there a point of no return where I should duplicate my file for this? Is it just "the last chapter" or what is the deal?

Nope, there's no need to duplicate.

I wouldn't consider this a spoiler, but just in case. You make the only meaningful decision during
the last chapter, but after you beat the game, you can replay the last chapter, and make the other decision.

As much as I loved the past fire emblem games, I love Awakening a lot more than the past games even after only playing the first few hours. Amazing game. In every game I always choose my units based on looks. Don't care about much about advantages of the individual stats, but maybe on Lunatic I'll have to this time.

Due to the game's level up mechanics being different than past games (You can infinitely reclass and level up), with enough time you can max all of your characters stats through grinding. So what you're doing is totally viable.

Boss Doggie

Dancing nets weak EXP though.

She has shitty attack though :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom