• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continuing on with my grinding and I'm at the point where I'm basically having to force Tharja to stop killing everyone on the map, especially when paired with my avatar.

Really need some experience for my weaker units like Nowi/Stahl right now and it doesn't help if she keeps on increasing her body count after every battle.

So I married Chrom and Sumia, only to find out that
their entire relationship is built around pies.
What a stupid ducking basis for the marriage of the main character.

I was so disappointed that I deleted my save file and started over.

Finally beat chapter 11. It's amazing how huge a difference a few small changes to your roster and approach can make, no grinding necessary.
They need to make a Fire Emblem x Harvest Moon crossover where you play as Donnel and defend your crops against bandits and other heathens.
In the beginning he's just a typical Harvest Moon protagonist, but by the end he's a grizzled, bearded hulk with a full harem of waifus.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm so occupied with using the DLC/Risen to grind and build relationships, I'm going so slow through the plot. :/

Midou

So I married Chrom and Sumia, only to find out that
their entire relationship is built around pies.
What a stupid ducking basis for the marriage of the main character.

I was so disappointed that I deleted my save file and started over.

Rofl, yes, I was pretty mad too. Most of the first-gen supports are actually pretty disappointing I would say at least compared to 2nd gen, which has way more personality and unique traits.

You know... grinding for Galeforce... is a fucking waste of time!

Thinking about it a bit, it really isn't that much more useful than without, especially if the kid you are nurturing is already OP and can wack shit down in a turn.

I guess if you are paranoid about finishing a match in a as little turns as possible or to be a streetpassing dick.

Mr. Fix

Thinking about it a bit, it really isn't that much more useful than without, especially if the kid you are nurturing is already OP and can wack shit down in a turn.

I guess if you are paranoid about finishing a match in a as little turns as possible or to be a streetpassing dick.

XJ1u9bh.jpg

But we must make early preparations!

Busaiku

Pretty disappointed that there were some maps with higher elevations, but it meant almost nothing.
There's no benefit in being higher up, and you can't throw boulders down at people or anything.

The maps really feel dumbed down because of that.

Midou

I got Galeforce finally pretty late in the game, but it didn't seem as major as people made it out to be. I mean, maybe if Donny could use it.. but he can kill way more than 2 units.. during the enemy turn.

CSX

Man did they exaggerate the concept of magic strong against armored foes in this game compared to past FEs

My stahl is level 12 great knight and he still has only 3 Resistance lol...

Kellam level 8 general and he is doing slightly better at 13.

Chapter 23, now THIS is the type of chapter I've always wanted to see. Can't remember if something similar to this has been in a past Fire Emblem game.

Two main characters off against the Big Bad, with the rest of the team fighting the army and trying to hold them off. It's way too good.

I get a NSMB2 street pass basically every time I go out, and their scores are almost always about 3000, using the white suit. It's so bad that I usually challenge myself to get as few coins as possible and see if I still beat their score (I usually do). It makes me feel bad that I have a decently hard to beat record that none of these people will ever beat.

Like, I'm going to grind an awesome street pass team, but to what end? Most people won't even be able to beat a team of healers.

Midou

Pretty disappointed that there were some maps with higher elevations, but it meant almost nothing.
There's no benefit in being higher up, and you can't throw boulders down at people or anything.

The maps really feel dumbed down because of that.

Yeah, there is that one with the water pouring down that was kind of neat, but didn't do anything. In general, unique maps and objectives are both essentially missing. There is like one map where you gotta move off areas or you take damage, and one of them is a psuedo-defend chapter, but they did seem to take out a lot. Fog, rain, night sort of maps were missing, at least there was some desert though. I like what they did with characters, supports, side-quests and the likes, but the core game feels a bit weaker than previous ones I've played (7,9 and 10)

Chapter 23, now THIS is the type of chapter I've always wanted to see. Can't remember if something similar to this has been in a past Fire Emblem game.

Two main characters off against the Big Bad, with the rest of the team fighting the army and trying to hold them off. It's way too good.

Except
he is super weak and dies in one hit, then it turns into a regular fight after one turn.. and one fairly cool cutscene. This also happens in Radiant Dawn against the Black Knight who is actually hard. :p

chrono01

OMG!

Tharja PVC figure announced at Wonderfes! Max Factory is sculpting/releasing it. I will definitely be purchasing that one!

91aqVCJ.jpg

jmls1121

Banned
Its going to take some time to come to a final conclusion, but I think this is the best SRPG I have ever played by a wide margin. At least on my playthrough, everything was perfectly balanced and engaging, and there were some truly magical moments between the characters.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
OMG!

Tharja PVC figure announced at Wonderfes! Max Factory is sculpting/releasing it. I will definitely be purchasing that one!

91aqVCJ.jpg

It would be nice if they also did PVC figures of characters in combat poses, rather than just sexually suggestive poses. It's downright insulting, and cheapens the integrity of the character's image.

I'm so occupied with using the DLC/Risen to grind and build relationships, I'm going so slow through the plot. :/

I have this exact problem with every single game that allows me to grind.

Absolutely willing to sacrifice plot progress if it means I can basically breeze pass all the enemies because of my overleveled characters.

OMG!

91aqVCJ.jpg

Looks I'm going back to a ramen diet for awhile.

Midou

I have this exact problem with every single game that allows me to grind.

Kind of feel the 2nd gen paralogues should have been a post-game thing maybe. I just can't avoid doing side-quests as soon as they are open in a game, and most of the time it makes the main game too easy. I just can't think of a real solution that allows side-quests AND regular story progression difficulty. Technically some kind of level scaling would be the only way, and that just ruins games.

Doorman

Well, to step away from the oogling for a second...

Does anybody else find it kind of ironic that, given his whole obsession with sweets and sugar, The way Gaius actually talks and acts seems to be very low-key? He's hardly the most excitable member of the crew, for sure.

Now that I've started the reclassing bandwagon a little bit, I keep looking back over what other people can potentially become, wondering who to change around, if anyone. A few of these switchable classes still make very little sense to me...what the heck would be the point of making Tharja a knight? Or Cordelia a dark mage? Looking over what her stats would be if I made that latter switch, she'd be starting off with a whopping 2 for magic. If the thought was to make her a dark knight so she'd be a non-flying mounted unit, I'd think that going merc > bow knight would take better advantage of her natural ability. I feel like there's still some grand aspect of this that I'm missing, like maybe there's some dark mage skill that would pair really well with her in one of the more physical classes...? Hell I dunno.

This is my first Fire Emblem game, though I've played Advance Wars and Valkyria Chronicles so I'm familiar with the play style, and good god is it marvelous. Playing on Normal Classic, I'm on Chapter 15 with 41 hours of playtime. I've reset about a billion times, mostly from the Paralogues as the actual story missions aren't too hard. I love the support and marriage system, all the conversations are hilarious and full of character. My MC is a female grandmaster mage married to Vaike. His line about tenure is probably my favorite of the critical hit quotes. All in all, I'll be shocked if I enjoy a game more than this one this year.

Midou

Does anybody else find it kind of ironic that, given his whole obsession with sweets and sugar, The way Gaius actually talks and acts seems to be very low-key? He's hardly the most excitable member of the crew, for sure.

Now that I've started the reclassing bandwagon a little bit, I keep looking back over what other people can potentially become, wondering who to change around, if anyone. A few of these switchable classes still make very little sense to me...what the heck would be the point of making Tharja a knight? Or Cordelia a dark mage? Looking over what her stats would be if I made that latter switch, she'd be starting off with a whopping 2 for magic. If the thought was to make her a dark knight so she'd be a non-flying mounted unit, I'd think that going merc > bow knight would take better advantage of her natural ability. I feel like there's still some grand aspect of this that I'm missing, like maybe there's some dark mage skill that would pair really well with her in one of the more physical classes...? Hell I dunno.

Well some re-classing potential is making a character gain some skill they may not use, but their kid may use but not have access to themselves outside said inheritance.

I'm sure some of them are just there in case you get freak growths. So if your Cordelia's magic is blessed by the RNG gods, it doesn't go to waste.

chrono01

Bah, why Tharja.

Well, she DOES have the best body, remember? I'm sure that reason factored in.

Also, she is amazing.

I made her my wife earlier tonight, so this figure announcement seriously could not come at a better time. I just hope the wait until it's painted/released isn't too long. I'm not sure I could survive the wait, but Tharja, I shall.

Doorman

Well some re-classing potential is making a character gain some skill they may not use, but their kid may use but not have access to themselves outside said inheritance.

I was under the impression that the children get most if not all of their class possibilities from the parents? If that's true, then they can simply learn the skill on their own, either way you'd be leveling someone in a class not for practicality, but just to learn the skill and then get out.

Mainly all of this talk about making everybody humanly possible into dark fliers for Galeforce worries me, because I'd rather have a more interesting variety than just spam a billion pegasus knights. I'd kind of like to reclass Sumia or Cordelia, but not sure which, or to what.

Midou

Mainly all of this talk about making everybody humanly possible into dark fliers for Galeforce worries me, because I'd rather have a more interesting variety than just spam a billion pegasus knights. I'd kind of like to reclass Sumia or Cordelia, but not sure which, or to what.

That's just a chore anyways, getting a level 15 Dark Flier is just a lot of grinding in the first place. I had one person with gale force, and got it around chapter 21, most of the game was still a joke from simply doing the paralogues..

bumpkin

So, this might be a dumb question, but what does it take to unlock the "Wireless" menu? I've been getting the SpotPass notices about the free DLC and such, but it won't let me choose the option so I can get it. :(

Are you past chapter 4?

I was under the impression that the children get most if not all of their class possibilities from the parents? If that's true, then they can simply learn the skill on their own, either way you'd be leveling someone in a class not for practicality, but just to learn the skill and then get out.

Well, the only way for some children to get certain skills is inheritance because of gender specific classes.

Midou

So, this might be a dumb question, but what does it take to unlock the "Wireless" menu? I've been getting the SpotPass notices about the free DLC and such, but it won't let me choose the option so I can get it. :(

I think getting past chapter 4 or something. Unless you are, then I'm not sure. :p

Doorman

Well, the only way for some children to get certain skills is inheritance because of gender specific classes.

Ah, right. For some reason that detail slipped my mind while considering this.

Thankfully, as much as I enjoy grinding up job stuff in FFT, I don't think I'm quite OCD enough to pull that off here...at least not yet. As I said, I'd rather have a greater variety rather than maxing a ton of people into one useful skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom