• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Item Box

Looks like newegg changed the release date on their page from the 4th to the 5th. Does that mean they're not getting it until then?

Chrom

Welcome to every Nintendo first party 3DS manual :p

I think the manuals to games like Pilotwings Resort and Nintendogs + Cats were more traditional, but yeah, Nintendo stopped with that and has gone minimalistic with their physical game manuals for a while now.

zroid

Banned
I think the manuals to games like Pilotwings Resort and Nintendogs + Cats were more traditional, but yeah, Nintendo stopped with that and has gone minimalistic with their physical game manuals for a while now.

Ah yes, the launch games have real booklets. From OoT 3D onwards though it's entirely been the fold out pamphlets, as far as I'm aware.

edit: beaten with a stylus

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I hate the new first party instruction pages... I think it's a ploy to get us to buy DD so we don't have to have those things near us.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
As much as I loved traditional manuals, I don't really mind these. Except for the few manuals with amazing artwork, I never touch them again after I start playing the game. 3DS titles also have a digital manual, in case you do need to reference controls, or something.

LeleSocho

Banned
Casual Mode

New to the Fire Emblem games overseas is the sub-option to turn on casual mode. It gives players the option to play the game without permanently losing characters that fall during skirmishes. Any of your units that do fall during battles under Casual do return after you complete the map/chapter. It does not affect the difficulty of a playthrough, and it's an option that's open to all difficulties.

I might buy the game now, i never finished a FE because after 7-8 chapters i always lose a character and consequentially ragequit.

Marche90

No prob, here's another one:

VQKYhKa.jpg

The "manual" is just a piece of paper folded into four sections.

This looks beautiful.

Shame that we never get those kinds of deals, nor I was able to make any kind of preorder here. (I live in Mexico)

C'mon, Nintendo, throw us a bone here! We're only south the border from the US! [/minirant]

Tuck

The manual looks really cheap, wow. It's only a folded piece of paper? WTF Haha

Manuals are a relic of the past. Even so, all Nintendo games on the 3DS have that folded piece of paper, for the very basic need to know things. A digital manual is available on the cartridge, I think.

Aquila

I'm all aboard the hype train for this, and Cordelia. Anna and *secret character*
Lucina
will probably win me over though. I wish previous Fire Emblems were easier to find at a decent price now; I just have my buddy's copy of Path of Radiance sitting at the bottom of my backlog.

What bonuses for your Avatar's birthdate do you get asides from the in-game birthday present? Earth-evasion like Ike in PoR?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to swing by the EBGames in the PATH tomorrow to see if they have it, if not I'll head to the one on Yonge Street. If not, Eaton Centre. If not, I'll wait ...
D:

Going to call tomorrow just in case lol.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

So was FE:A, Project X? I had no idea they were working on it.

I'm going to swing by the EBGames in the PATH tomorrow to see if they have it, if not I'll head to the one on Yonge Street. If not, Eaton Centre. If not, I'll wait ...
D:

There are in fact two in the PATH, and both open at 8am. Rise and shine. Let me know what they say by the way. :p

zroid

Banned

Huh, the 8-4 guys never mentioned that before. But based on the tweet, it seems like a collaborative effort. 8-4 translated, while Treehouse did the rest.

So was FE:A, Project X? I had no idea they were working on it

Hmmmm... I doubt it, you'd think the TL would be done significantly before they wrapped their Project X work (early December?). But I could be wrong. This kind of explains why NoA had them conduct an interview with IntSys out of the blue, lol.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
There are in fact two in the PATH, and both open at 8am. Rise and shine. Let me know what they say by the way. :p

Oh really?

I only know of the one near the Second Cup and the foodcourt, near Wellington I believe. It's sad, I don't know the name of the signs ... I just know how to get to Ryerson lol.

Chrom

Huh, the 8-4 guys never mentioned that before. But based on the tweet, it seems like a collaborative effort. 8-4 translated, while Treehouse did the rest.

I was also unaware that 8-4 had anything to do with it. I was only informed that Treehouse did it. Either way, I'm also reading the tweet as him saying it was a collaboration rather than that it was solely 8-4.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh really?

I only know of the one near the Second Cup and the foodcourt, near Wellington I believe. It's sad, I don't know the name of the signs ... I just know how to get to Ryerson lol.

There's another one at Bay and King, check EBgames.ca store locator. Can't hurt to have more options on your quest.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
There's another one at Bay and King, check EBgames.ca store locator. Can't hurt to have more options on your quest.

Truth.

I'll be downtown early so hopefully I can grab a copy in the morning!

Feeroper

I picked mine up from EB at Eaton Center after they called tonight and it looked like they had a bunch behind the counter in their display case. I got their around 8:45pm, so they should have some on opening tomorrow.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I picked mine up from EB at Eaton Center after they called tonight and it looked like they had a bunch behind the counter in their display case. I got their around 8:45pm, so they should have some on opening tomorrow.

Good to know!

D:

I wish I worked downtown again. Damnit. Maybe the EB at Dufferin has some?

Takuan

I just discovered that the 3DS XL comes with a 4GB SD card, so I downloaded the demo and played through it. I'm quite impressed. The battle map sprites have a charming character to them that simply can't be seen in video footage. Animated attacks look good, and I appreciate that you can fast-forward them by holding A. I'm liking the 3D effect a lot - particularly during map sequences, for some reason - but either I haven't gotten used to it yet or my eyes just aren't compatible, because I find myself feeling a little cross-eyed 15 minutes after playing. Might just have to disable it, which is a bit of a shame.

I was already looking forward to getting the game Monday, but after having played the demo I'm that much more eager to sink my teeth in. If Toronto EBs really are breaking the street date, I may pick this up early and return the Best Buy copy when it comes in the mail.

On a semi-related note, I've also noticed what appears to be visual artifacting on the character models with 3D enabled, something close to shimmering but it seems most obvious on the outer edges of the character models. It's probably native to the 3D tech used in the hardware, because I notice the same thing in Super Mario 3D Land (which is sort of delightful in its simplicity).

donny2112

Read the OP. No spoilers. Wonderful post. Back on blackout as I finish another playthrough of Sacred Stones and try to knock out another game or two before being awash in Awakening for quite a while. :D

Edit:
Oh, and AWESOME ANTHEM!!!

So many post already? Cool. Everyone buy this game please.

Question for anyone that already has it, does the North American version have the cute little pixel art on the cart like the Japanese version?

Chrom

So many post already? Cool. Everyone buy this game please.

Question for anyone that already has it, does the North American version have the cute little pixel art on the cart like the Japanese version?

Yep! It was posted earlier.

Socreges

Banned
Do we know yet how much space this game takes up? Might go with the digital download since the manual is useless and I've got no interest in the art book.

bangai-o

Banned
i might just go with digital dl for this game. its probably going to take me all year to play and I can just keep OoT in the cartridge slot. do I purchase those prepaid DS cards or do they not work on 3ds?

zroid

Banned
I don't know about useful, considering the ubiquity of digital manuals now, but flipping through a high quality instruction booklet is still one of life's little pleasures.

Socreges

Banned
I don't know about useful, considering the ubiquity of digital manuals now, but flipping through a high quality instruction booklet is still one of life's little pleasures.
I hate digital manuals. They're much less convenient to navigate when playing games. There are some games that GREATLY benefit from physical manuals, such as any game where you're not familiar with the controls, mechanics and features.

zroid

Banned
I hate digital manuals. They're much less convenient to navigate when playing games. There are some games that GREATLY benefit from physical manuals, such as any game where you're not familiar with the controls, mechanics and features.

That's also true. I definitely don't prefer fiddling with digital manuals, but then again, you don't always have the booklet on-hand, especially in the case of portables. There are advantages to both. I would rather have both, if possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom