• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh the Japanese Fire Emblem website has been updated with a character user voted poll, spoilers in it as well btw.http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html(If you must check the ranking)
Not sure if you're referring to me but I didn't make any judgment in any direction. If anything I welcome new fans no matter how they find their way to this series.

I'm happy as long as Fire Emblem gets the popularity and recognition it deserves, just hope that not all subsequent games in the series railroad the user avatar thing all the time.
Btw here's some of the Japanese wallpapers, quoting the 1080p ones, leaving out some for obvious reasons:
fe14_f1920_1080.jpg

fe14_e1920_1080.jpg

fe14_c1920_1080.jpg

fe14_d1920_1080.jpg

fe14_a1920_1080.jpg

m_1920_1080.jpg

w_1920_1080.jpg

m2_1920_1080.jpg

Socreges

Banned
I don't think they are saying it is a bad thing that the game put some emphasis on relationships, but rather when the thread becomes about that, or rather the only thing it is talked about.

Many voted for the waifu thread title, and that would have been terrible. I do appreciate the small jokes and fun poking though.
Yeah, exactly. All of the waifu thread suggestions/votes was what made me realize that it's getting a bit out of control. I had completely ignored that element of the community before then. Now it seems to be what draws many people to post - think of it as a 'waifu discussion tipping point' being reached. Hopefully/probably there will be more gameplay discussion once we're actually playing the game, but we'll see.

Roman

Yeah, exactly. All of the waifu thread suggestions/votes was what made me realize that it's getting a bit out of control. I had completely ignored that element of the community before then. Now it seems to be what draws many people to post - think of it as a 'waifu discussion tipping point' being reached. Hopefully/probably there will be more gameplay discussion once we're actually playing the game, but we'll see.

The thing is just that there is very little to discuss as long as we're unable to delve into the actual plot or how we're beating chapters...as long as this thread is only about building up hype without substance, this is one of the main draws.

Nohar

I really hope that the French translation will keep Fredrick's character and lines intact. Otherwise, I guess I'll take a Great Britain/United Kingdom (I never know which one I should use) version of the game, unless we have the choice of langage ? That makes me wonder: does the US version of the game will offer multiple langages on the same cartridge (I'm thinking about french-talking canadians) ?

I really hope that the French translation will keep Fredrick's character and lines intact. Otherwise, I guess I'll take a Great Britain/United Kingdom (I never know which one I should use) version of the game, unless we have the choice of langage ? That makes me wonder: does the US version of the game will offer multiple langages on the same cartridge (I'm thinking about french-talking canadians) ?

Been said that the language is English only, and for Europe we have no idea if they are using the NoA script or translating their own.

Man it's depressing to see the Japanese website for Fire Emblem is so greatly done, the American one in comparison is depressingly bare minimum compared to it. I know the game isn't out yet but still =/.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/

Socreges

Banned
The thing is just that there is very little to discuss as long as we're unable to delve into the actual plot or how we're beating chapters...as long as this thread is only about building up hype without substance, this is one of the main draws.
There's plenty to discuss otherwise once we've got the game. I know I'll be using this thread as a resource. But I could see relationships and the like dominating. Might be difficult or easy to navigate/avoid, but either way I'll be here.

The "waifu" stuff is a sizable portion of the game. It's not something that was just tacked on.

You're going to see a lot of breeding talk in the coming months.

So not only did they remove the mute option, but they cut down on the amount of voices you can pick for the avatar? This seems pretty shitty.

Prax

It's breeding, guys!
We're doing this for skills and classing reasons!
Plus the general pair up and support system is really important in this game. There's isn't really going to be a way around shipping talk for this game. (Not that I am a big fan of "waifu" discussion either.. it just seems inevitable for this iteration).

Also, personality compatibility will also come into play because some things are just.. NO. >:l
Ethical breeding.

So not only did they remove the mute option, but they cut down on the amount of voices you can pick for the avatar? This seems pretty shitty.
Silent option may have been cut out to lower the amount of translation work tbh, no idea about the other voices. Did the other voices affect part of the script in the Japanese version?

Socreges

Banned
The "waifu" stuff is a sizable portion of the game. It's not something that was just tacked on.

You're going to see a lot of breeding talk in the coming months.
Well, the marriage and support system are mechanics/features. Waifu fantasizing, "shipping", and generally talking about video game characters as if they are actual sexual entities is a voluntary extension of the Fire Emblem universe.

I'll be discussing marriage and offspring, too, I'm sure. Seems like a cool feature. But for me it's really just a functional thing.

But it was the only good voice option. If it was too hard to translate, they could have just dropped either the male or female avatar to make up for it.

I agree that voice option should have been the same amount as the Japanese version, but disagree with the dropping of genders on the avatar. As the differences adds more to the duration then a silent option XD.

Soulhouf

People seem to have already forgotten that FE Seisen no Keifu used marriage and offspring system.
If you didn't play it yet, go for it, it's fantastic.

Prax

But it was the only good voice option. If it was too hard to translate, they could have just dropped either the male or female avatar to make up for it.

Drop an entire gender when the whole game is based on breeding? Yeah. That's even worse!
Just turn off the "voices" in the options, you whiner! lol

And if you are sad that your Avatar is saying dumb lines, well.. everyone in the game says dumb stuff as far as I'm concerned. Don't tell me you want them to silence the whole cast too. XD Don't think of the Avatar as yourself if that bugs you too much.

NeonZ

Silent option may have been cut out to lower the amount of translation work tbh, no idea about the other voices. Did the other voices affect part of the script in the Japanese version?

The male and female voices which were removed were two voices that sounded childish, or early teen at best. Considering how NoA changed Lyn's age from 15 to 18, I guess they didn't want to allow the player to use a younger character as an avatar, and so removed the childish voices, giving the impression that the smallest sized Avatar is just meant to be a short teen, not a kid. Removing the mute option was laziness/not believing the game would sell enough to justify the costs of more optional translated text, but removing those two voices was likely just their usual censorship.

Also, the avatar is involved in no CG cutscenes after that initial one, so it never has actual dialogue completely voiced. It isn't likely that they cut those voices due to space or VA costs.

Nohar

I guess this is a good explanation, though, like I said earlier for something else, it always better to leave the choice to the player, instead of imposing/removing something entirely. However, if it's a question of memory space, I can understand the cut (not approve, but understand).

... Lyn was supposed to be 15 ? That's... Weird. I mean, her figure (*ahem*) and maturity in-game are more of a girl who's 18 than 15. Oh well, that's a nice change indeed. It wouldn't be the first time that the translation actually improves something from the JP script. I'm thinking about the Black Knight's explanation from Radiant Dawn where he tells Ike that he let him win in the US translation, whereas in the JP script he tells him that his "teleportation powder" malfuctionned and that the Black Knight Ike fought back in Path of Radiance was a ghost or something.

Rootbeer

Banned
Anyone know if Gamestop will be selling it in stores on Feb 1st to those who pre-ordered? This was claimed on the amazon discussion board. Poster claims GS stores have received shipments already, which is not hard to believe. Probably a rumor but it's worth asking :p Think I will try calling them tomorrow just to check.

The male and female voices which were removed were two voices that sounded childish, or early teen at best. Considering how NoA changed Lyn's age from 15 to 18, I guess they didn't want to allow the player to use a younger character as an avatar, and so removed the childish voices, giving the impression that the smallest sized Avatar is just meant to be a short teen, not a kid. Removing the mute option was laziness/not believing the game would sell enough to justify the costs of more optional translated text, but removing those two voices was likely just their usual censorship.

Also, the avatar is involved in no CG cutscenes after that initial, so it never has actual dialogue completely voiced. It isn't likely that they cut those voices due to space or VA costs.

Unlikely on space, especially if it's around 1.1GB, 3DS average cartridge can hold 2GB. Some games are 4GB cartidges as well.

zroid

Banned
Btw here's some of the Japanese wallpapers, quoting the 1080p ones, leaving out some for obvious reasons:

oh man I just changed all my Vita's backgrounds to Pokemon-related stuff, and now I'm massively tempted to change them again to these :<

Maybe I'll go half and half...

Chrom

The character popularity poll created in the Background site actually had its results used for determining which characters would get special treatment in some of the Otherworld Resort DLC episodes.

TEJ

So, last week I tried to but I was unable to preorder the game......for some reason.

I'm thinking of buying the digital release. Is it 100% certain that I can buy it next tuesday?

zroid

Banned
So, last week I tried to but I was unable to preorder the game......for some reason.

I'm thinking of buying the digital release. Is it 100% certain that I can buy it next tuesday?

Monday at midnight eastern, probably

Necrovex

Huh the Japanese Fire Emblem website has been updated with a character user voted poll, spoilers in it as well btw.http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html(If you must check the ranking)

I'm happy as long as Fire Emblem gets the popularity and recognition it deserves, just hope that not all subsequent games in the series railroad the user avatar thing all the time.

The second wallpaper made me think it was Miles Edgeworth, and I thought, "What the fuck? Why is Edgeworth in Fire Emblem?!" Then I actually saw who it was.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

Esura

Banned
I preorder this game a few weeks ago because the art got to me and I've read that you get to breed ultimate warriors. I hope the game is great.

Well, having 3 Manakettes in your party DOES sound tempting...but thousands of years old or not I'm staying away from lolis.

Hrm the loli bit is a concern, but I can just think of her as flat chested and then cheat on her with Sumia haha.

Also, that'd be 4. Tiki, Nono, Nn, and Morgan. Army of dragons yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom