• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Fix

Due to the game's level up mechanics being different than past games (You can infinitely reclass and level up), with enough time you can max all of your characters stats through grinding. So what you're doing is totally viable.

The pair up and dual mechanic needs to be a staple as well.

Midou

I made Olivia a Swordsmaster, and she was one of my better characters until 2nd gens arrived, mostly for having some dancer levels, then going through myrmidon and finally to Swordsmaster. Can't Dance, but didn't find her that useful because either she would need to waste one of my units simply protecting her, or risk her being open.

Midou

The pair up and dual mechanic needs to be a staple as well.

Enemies should be able to pair up too though, to make it more fair. Never had much trouble after I learned pair up system correctly, though did all the paralogues and stuff.

Also hope they go back to more than 2 map objectives (i.e Route and kill commander) and more of those fog/night/etc missions that made me think differently about my strategies.

I think I know why nobody has feet. I think they're actually modeled, but they pushed the characters into the floor because they were too tall on the screen compositionally. They couldn't just make the characters farther away because of the low resolution and 3d effect making everything look muddled, and they couldn't make them smaller for the same reason. if the screen was bigger or had a higher resolution they probably could have changed it.

Also, I'm just starting the game for the first time on hard and it's a pretty good challenge off the bat since I don't understand all the new mechanics that well yet.

So I'm about to start Chapter 11 so it's time to finally pair Chrom off. Sully's out because she married Virion. I didn't like the Chrom x Sumia paring (PIES) so that leaves Maribelle or Olivia. Originally I was going to shoot for Olivia but just from the two sentences she's spoke in between Ch. 10 and Ch. 11 she comes off too timid and weak and it doesn't seem like Chrom would be in to that.

Roto13

Don't tell me what this IS, but is there a point of no return where I should duplicate my file for this? Is it just "the last chapter" or what is the deal?

The very last thing you do in the entire game is a binary decision and what you decide determines which of the two endings you get. And you can replay the last mission infinitely.

So I'm about to start Chapter 11 so it's time to finally pair Chrom off. Sully's out because she married Virion. I didn't like the Chrom x Sumia paring (PIES) so that leaves Maribelle or Olivia. Originally I was going to shoot for Olivia but just from the two sentences she's spoke in between Ch. 10 and Ch. 11 she comes off too timid and weak and it doesn't seem like Chrom would be in to that.

Her portrait is perpetually cringing. >_>

KarmaCow

When do you start getting Second Seals regularly? I've been trying to avoid using level 10+ units but I'm running out of viable choices.

massoluk

Banned
When do you start getting Second Seals regularly? I've been trying to avoid using level 10+ units but I'm running out of viable choices.

At least for me at Chapter 12-15, getting master seals and second seals aren't really problems at all, imo. I'd not be the concern using it with reckless abandon. I bought them at regular merchant and always kept an eye out for them at discount merchant.

Dancing nets weak EXP though.

She has shitty attack though :/

here is what i did for olivia grind out her support till A (i was grinding out all the girls to s)
and paired her up with my suped up avatar (i think any character will do that can get an A with her in supports) then i sent the pair to rush through serras or moulder(if u have him) spot pass teams and had her beat the leader which gives her crazy exp

once she hits 5 she gets a bit more relible since her luck is high and by lvl 10 she is able to hold her own against those particular spot pass teams her attack is kinda ass as a dancer once she is 15 second seal to peg knight or myridom for skills

i went the dancer>peg knight>dark flier (for gale force)>sword master for (astra and swordfaire) i hope that helps some of the weaker units need a lot of work but they end up being crazy in the end :p

Mr. Fix

Enemies should be able to pair up too though, to make it more fair. Never had much trouble after I learned pair up system correctly, though did all the paralogues and stuff.

Also hope they go back to more than 2 map objectives (i.e Route and kill commander) and more of those fog/night/etc missions that made me think differently about my strategies.

Yeah, I miss Fog of War maps. There's actually 1 (or 2
if you count the Emmeryn one
) defending chapters. The other one being
Tiki
's which I really liked.

Also does anyone know who the artist for the game is?

FIL6iAR.jpg

Looking at the DLC, it says that the one who did Katarina is Yusuke Kozaki. The style just seems so damn similar to the normal one used for this game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dancer is even easier to exploit than Cleric for level up. If you manage to trap an opposing Cleric as the last unit on the map, you can just Dance your own to level 30. Even without resorting to something like that, I had no problem getting her to 30.

Yusuke Kozaki is indeed the official artist for the game. It's kind of neat he got final dibs on the DLC artwork.

(That and Katarina's reveal was almost too well timed with the Heroes of Light and Shadow English translation's release.)

Midou

Yeah, I miss Fog of War maps. There's actually 1 (or 2
if you count the Emmeryn one
) defending chapters. The other one being
Tiki
's which I really liked.

Yeah
Tiki's
was a genuinely good defence map. Just seems odd they went to great lengths to make things like supports and side-quests so plentiful yet had fewer mission types, which is kind of the core game. Still, some map layouts made for fairly unique strategies, just hope they include them in the next games.

Mr. Fix

Yusuke Kozaki is indeed the official artist for the game. It's kind of neat he got final dibs on the DLC artwork.

(That and Katarina's reveal was almost too well timed with the Heroes of Light and Shadow English translation's release.)

Cool. It was bugging me for a while. I'm hoping they didn't use the default sprite for Grandmasters though.

Yeah
Tiki's
was a genuinely good defence map. Just seems odd they went to great lengths to make things like supports and side-quests so plentiful yet had fewer mission types, which is kind of the core game. Still, some map layouts made for fairly unique strategies, just hope they include them in the next games.

My favorite map in FE8 is the one in Rausten castle with FoW and defending together. I need more o' that!

I know now skills are inheritable it wouldn't be easy, but man is it a bummer there aren't cool skill animations.

And holy shit is that merc skill that doesn't use weapon cost broken as fuck.

GeekyDad

My Virion also married Sully earlier on, but he didn't make it out of Chapter 11 alive
(well, he's alive, but he had to fall back, which I'm guessing means he won't be able to fight anymore)
. Was my second attempt -- got whacked out the first time too -- and I don't think I have the patience to do it again. Saved the game on another slot just in case. I'll wait until the post-chapter cutscene is over (which I'm watching now) to decide.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So does the kneader staff have any use at all?

At least stuff like logs and ladles can be used to whittle down enemy HP so weak units can finish them off, but a kneader staff just seems completely useless.

Ala Alba

At least stuff like logs and ladles can be used to whittle down enemy HP so weak units can finish them off, but a kneader staff just seems completely useless.

Grinding, I guess? Doesn't heal much, but it still gives exp and weapon exp, so I guess use it for that (or to top off units that aren't missing much hp).

Grinding on DLC Map 1? Where you might want to heal the Ally units for EXP but not completely so they still get killed off and STOP STEALING YOUR FUCKING KILLS?

I don't know, I'm stretching.

I'm on chapter 3 and it's getting hard to get through a mission without anyone dying. I don't have a healer (got a healing staff but no one can equip it) and I can't figure out how to buy potions.

Also, I'm playing on Classic and so far every time someone dies, they say something along the lines of retreating to fight another day. I thought Classic meant permadeath?

Wilsongt

I'm on chapter 3 and it's getting hard to get through a mission without anyone dying. I don't have a healer (got a healing staff but no one can equip it) and I can't figure out how to buy potions.

Also, I'm playing on Classic and so far every time someone dies, they say something along the lines of retreating to fight another day. I thought Classic meant permadeath?

You let Lissa die? Shame.

Permadeath in the sense that story characters "retreat" and non story characters "die" and you can't use them anymore.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Lissa should be your Cleric (ie Healer) early on, unless you let her die? Some characters won't die, if they are important to the story. They'll simply be wounded badly and won't be available for future fights.

Uh, you start the game off with a healer. Lissa is your healer.

If someone says theyre retreating, that means theyre plot relevant. Otherwise theyll have some last words and thats it, dead as a door nail.

Forkball

Don't you have Lissa? She can heal people. She might not be able to equip a staff if the rank is too high, but she should have some default equipment.

Oh, now I get what happened. When Lissa said she would retreat, that meant she wouldn't come back to fight, ever. She made it sound like she'd return for a future mission.

Time to restart the game, then.

I play to reset when my guys die because I think of the game as a puzzle rather than roleplaying. If someone died, I didn't solve the puzzle. Hard mode is fun, though.

Midou

Oh, now I get what happened. When Lissa said she would retreat, that meant she wouldn't come back to fight, ever. She made it sound like she'd return for a future mission.

Time to restart the game, then.

Yeah basically what they mean to say is "I won't be usable in a fight anymore, but I'll stick around for the story scenes". They even say stuff like that in games where permadeath is the only option, it's a poor choice of dialog. I think Path of Radiance has some dialog closer to "Guess I'm not fighting anymore, but I'll still help you in general".

One more question about Classic mode. Do fallen characters have any sort of impact on future story or dialogue? What attracted me to Classic mode was the potential ripple effects death might have on the narrative, but if the only difference is on a gameplay level I might switch to Casual. The added tension is interesting in theory but I have a tendency to restart a mission whenever someone dies, so Classic Mode is shaping up to be more tedious without providing any of the dramatic weight that I was hoping for.

Dinokill

This game is good! But I'm scare that if I let someone die I will be stuck in some chapter later. For example I restarted the final chapter of Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon like 100 times because the enemy will kill half my units in 3 turns so I was no able no beat the final chapter ever.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Don't let the AI or your units die.

But damn if these villagers aren't absolute idiots. Why the hell are they running toward the enemy?

Ketch

are tree branches worth holding on to?

Also pretty much everyone I have is at lvl 10 and some are closing in on 15, I have a second seal and a master seal what should I do?

If there's gonna be a tutorial for re classing then don't tell me.

Esura

Banned
You will get them as drops fairly common later on. More shops will open up too, and special merchants will sell you things at discount prices. Don't worry about it.

My pairs so far:
ChromXSumia
KellamXCordelia
FrederickXCherche
SullyXStahl

Working on:
VaikeXLissa
PanneXLonqu (they are at B support and so far their support convos show they are not fond of one another at all)

[edit]Also, are kids' hair colors determined by their parents or is it a coincidence?
'
Oh, that's a relief. I did find some weapons lying around on maps but I can't do anything with them since I guess you need a certain level of weapon efficiency.

And SullyxStahl is good? I've been just doing SullyxVirion cause I want to see what happens when they S rank.

Also, my Avatar is leveling up at an astonishing rate. He is like five levels higher than everyone else after that Donny mission that I keep having to restart over and over so I could get him.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, Chrom x Olivia ->
Lucina reveal
scene was so ridiculously adorable.

Also, about inheritance, supposedly the child unit inherts the last/5th skill on their parent units right? So does that mean I should wait till I class each parent pair up to their advance classes and get all their skills before I do each of the child paralogues?

Oh god, Chrom x Olivia ->
Lucina reveal
scene was so ridiculously adorable.

Also, about inheritance, supposedly the child unit inherts the last/5th skill on their parent units right? So does that mean I should wait till I class each parent pair up to their advance classes and get all their skills before I do each of the child paralogues?

I think it depends on (a) what class you think you might make the child and (b) whether or not you plan to pass down the level 15 skill. If the child is already going to be a dark flier, you probably don't need to grind for gale force. And if you are determined to pass down, I don't know, Lucky 7s instead of the later Trickster skill, then there's not much point in waiting. Of course, in the latter case, you probably don't know which skill you prefer unless you already got the Level 15 skill on some other unit (not the intended parent).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom