• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

OryoN

Amazon finally shipped mine!

Great for you! :)

Man, this game is sooo sweet! My only "issue" is that... I HATE LOSING CHARACTERS!

In fact, so much so, that I restart each time. If I knew I'd play this way(I should have figured, knowing my own mentality) I should have played casual first.

So, the down side is that progress, for me, can be a bit slow(had it day 2 of release, on Ch6), although I do tend to limit my playtime. Other the other hand, I'm actually enjoying the challenge of not letting my characters die. Another plus is that it forces me to come up with some pretty neat strategies, so I'm always eager to restart and try again.

GRRRRR

Do the damn reinforcements never stop arriving in Chapter 11? Hot damn there is an endless supply of them.

It's also thematically bogus:
Oh, so Gangrel's army is in disarray and they are deserting left and right? Let's tie that into a chapter with infinite reinforcements!

RAGE

GRRRRR

Do the damn reinforcements never stop arriving in Chapter 11? Hot damn there is an endless supply of them.

It's also thematically bogus:
Oh, so Gangrel's army is in disarray and they are deserting left and right? Let's tie that into a chapter with infinite reinforcements!
RAGE
Its not infinite. Theres like one batch from the north and east forts. Whatre you talking about?

pahamrick

Today has been awesome. I ended up not being able to get the 3DS bundle due to some sudden unexpected expenses, but my best friend shows up today and hands me a bundle as a belated birthday gift.

I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day.

Its not infinite. Theres like one batch from the north and east forts. Whatre you talking about?

The row of like six forts through the middle has spawned three different waves of reinforcements, and the ones in the northwest one. I was doing fine until the third wave through the middle divided my army in half.

It's kinda bullshit that reinforcements can appear and attack on the same turn.

Really having a lot of fun with this game, just beat Chapter 7.

I have a question regarding reclassing and promoting units though. I understand that once a unit gets all of it's skills in a class there's no point to stay in that class, but I was wondering if it is better to go to the Advanced Class after level 10 Base Class or to switch to another Base Class first. Then from there I would change change back to the original Base Class and go Advanced or just straight to Advanced if I liked the options the new Base Class gave me.

So Base -> Advanced -> Base or Base -> Base -> Advanced. Is one of these methods better for any reason, or does it not really matter which one you choose?

Oh God, Sumia, you magnificent dodging beast you.

She avoided a 55% chance of a killing silver arrow to the face.

I screwed up on one mission and put my Sumia/Chrom pair in significant danger, had Sumia out in front and about five guys came after her. I was about to reset because I figured she was toast, but I played through anyway and she dodged four of those dastards and survived, keeping the mission going.

Of course, then that's balanced out in a later battle where an opposing enemy scores on a 1% critical chance and kills Killam unexpectedly. Sigh.

One thing I've discovered is that pairing the units is great for offense, but terrible on defense because the fuckers keep killing the people that attack them. I set up a nice blockade to try and funnel the enemies but Gaius + Tharja kept critting every enemy that attacked them and eventually died because he couldn't take on six enemies in a row. Two or three, fine, but six? Dammit, stop being so good, units!

EDIT:
GRRRRR

My solution in that was to blitz the forts and just have my units sit on them until the reinforcements stopped. I think there's two total waves: center forts (fighters and mages) -> northern forts (fighters + hero) -> southern forts (wyverns), rinse and repeat. I ended up sending a group of three north to perch on those forts, a group of three south to perch on the mage forts, and Sully/Killam to perch on and tank through the fighter/wyvern onslaught of the forts I couldn't cover. Worked out really well.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is there a point in using the
children
characters when you get them? I mean... by the time you get them, the
parents
are so strong and you can't use all the characters so it's best to keep using what you have. Unless, the former is stronger than the latter. Is it?

Midou

children
parents
are so strong and you can't use all the characters so it's best to keep using what you have. Unless, the former is stronger than the latter. Is it?

Not to invalidate your spoiler, but there is a lot of open discussion of the 2nd generation characters. :p

They have much better base stats and will grow to be far superior fairly quickly. I phased out my first generation for the most part as I got more and more 2nd gens. The only first gens I was still using in last bunch of missions was like Donnel, Chrom, My Unit, occasionally Gregor.

Wilsongt

children
parents

Morgan is a monster.

children
parents

It's already been mentioned, but just to reiterate the point. The children all far outclass their parents in just a couple of levels.

kayos90

It's already been mentioned, but just to reiterate the point. The children all far outclass their parents in just a couple of levels.

So I guess it's like previous FE where you just drop your old units for better new ones. Just don't really treat them like 2nd gen, except for inheriting skills and what not. Meh.

I guess I should grind a bit more if the chapter 11 boss can one round KO me with his special magic sword.

Thanks Lissa for not support blocking while he was killing your husband btw.

kayos90

I guess I should grind a bit more if the chapter 11 boss can one round KO me with his special magic sword.

Thanks Lissa for not support blocking while he was killing your husband btw.

That boss was dumb. I just took my max support character pair and just rushed him the moment he moved. Everyone around him is fodder.

What's your guys' philosophy on pairing? I'm only on chapter 5 but I've been sticking horsemen on my mages to give them double strike.

Also, does pairing increase support faster than being next to each other on the grid?

I love Henry's personality. In other games it might come off as cliche and forced, but it's such a departure from the typical Fire Emblem JUSTICE AND PEACE BFF characters that it just works.
Am I the only one that married Lissa with the candy thief? Thought they were cute together.
I was going to, but in his C support with Nowi, Gaius reveals that he prefers older women, and by God and country, he shall have his MILF.

Am I the only one that married Lissa with the candy thief? Thought they were cute together.

I haven't paired Lissa with anyone yet. The best I was attempting was Ricken but they're still at C. She just spends too much time in the back by herself healing people.

On the other hand, I paired up the thief with the goth dark mage. Their support conversations are gold.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What's your guys' philosophy on pairing? I'm only on chapter 5 but I've been sticking horsemen on my mages to give them double strike.

Also, does pairing increase support faster than being next to each other on the grid?

I'm pretty sure it does. When I pair it's to cover for the other's weaknesses and based off of who has the best convos.

JoeFu

Banned
I'm so glad I read that Donnel turns into a beast. I just used a master seal on him when he had 5 stats maxed out at as a level 14 merc. It's soooo dumb

I considered it, but then I noticed that he was pretty much the only person that could marry Sumia that wasn't either already planned to be in another relationship (MU and Chrom) or almost permanently benched (Frederick) :|

When do I get the ability to graduate people to their next classes? or to Re-Class them? I'm on Chapter 8.

Well, you do get a Master Seal and a Second Seal there. Besides that, there's the rare Anna appearance in the overworld selling them and then some chapters later a store that sells them regularly.

Ok, I need to know, I'm on the final chapter and
does the choice you're given make a difference? If I say yes is it a Nonstandard Game Over? Or do I just reject it and continue on with the battle?

CSX

Discipline is an awesome skill.

my Stahl is A with sword and lances and B with axes. Meanwhile rest of my units are almostly A with one E with another

Reclassing a falcon rider to General = General that can double everything.

JoeFu

Banned
The promoted classes look soooo awesome.

also I made Lissa get with candyman! And I think Stahl and Cordelia's support convo to marriage was really nice. I love this game.

Ketch

Ok... when should I change classes? I'm thinking of using Master Seal on my main character, he's level 12 and secondary seal on Donny who's almost lvl 10. Good idea or no?

At what levels do classes stop learning abilities?

Base class learn them at 1 and 10.
Promoted classes learn them at 5 and 15.
Special classes (those that reach level 30) learn them at 1 and 15.

Okay so in the previous Fire Emblems it's better to level the character up to level 20 before promoting them, but is it better to promote them earlier in this game since you can reclass at any time? So they have a bigger selection of skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom