• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esura

Banned
Yes, generally your party will probably become a core unit.. with maybe a couple units swapping in and out to fit specific battles. There's no real point in using all the characters unless you want to grind a lot in sidequest, or want more of a challenge. Of course the one reason to use all the characters are for support convos.

Oh...this seems like this would be kind of hard cause they are tossing units at me left and right. I know Chrom, Sumia, Avatar, Lisse, Sully, and Stahl are my current mainstays right now and I'm trying my damnest to level Donny from 2 to 3 without him dying.

I'm pairing my avatar with Tharja because they're both Dark Mages, but he doesn't like her because she's stalkery :-(

I wonder would my Speed plus do good for their kids together. Originally I was gonna do Magic as my thing but this Speed boost got me 2x enemies left and right. My avatar got the highest speed in the unit.

What's the most number of possible attacks in one battle? 8?

I guess it would be 40, but that would require two units with Astra and a Brave weapon triggering Astra each time they attack and triggering a Dual attack both times. The odds of that happening are really low and you'd never come across anything with that much HP.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The stat boosts Anna gives the Avatar when paired are insane. She raises literally every single stat. He reciprocates, sans-resistance. With him as her only potential marriage partner, truly they are Meant To Be.

I married Lissa and Gaius, too, and I loved the way that all built up. Tharja and Lon'qu seem to have a great progression, too. It's really mainly Chrom and Sumia that had the most vapid building of a relationship so far. A shame!

I'll ask again because this thread moves so quickly:

Do you hit reduced XP automatically when a character hits 20 even if you second seal him back down to one because his internal level is still 20?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I guess it would be 40, but that would require two units with Astra and a Brave weapon triggering Astra each time they attack and triggering a Dual attack both times. The odds of that happening are really low and you'd never come across anything with that much HP.

Unless they all hit for 0. LOL.

Forgot about Astra. I wanna see a godlike fight between units that only do 1 hp damage to each other. Brave Log Battle.

Also, I just got a "double" critical attack? The spark charge thing happened twice before my Frederick struck the opponent. What does that mean?

Does Lunatic also affect the RNG? Because it seems like I'm getting a lot of level ups where I'm only getting two stats boosted. Or am I only noticing this because I need every stat I can get, and I'm having confirmation bias?

Does Lunatic also affect the RNG? Because it seems like I'm getting a lot of level ups where I'm only getting two stats boosted. Or am I only noticing this because I need every stat I can get, and I'm having confirmation bias?

Probably just a bit of bad luck going a long way in yogurt head

Edit: Haha phone changed your to yogurt, so now you are a yogurt head

Forgot about Astra. I wanna see a godlike fight between units that only do 1 hp damage to each other. Brave Log Battle.

Also, I just got a "double" critical attack? The spark charge thing happened twice before my Frederick struck the opponent. What does that mean?

The only time that should happen is when you trigger a skill and it crits at the same time. In this case it was probably Luna and a crit.

What about a character the promoted at lvl 20 and is second sealed when he's a lvl 20 promote.

So if you went level 20, then promoted and then leveled to 20 again and then second sealed, still the same effect, expect the game counts you had 40 levels so your exp gain will be decreased even more barring difficulty levels.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What's in the chests on Chapter 14? I could clear it in one turn (Cherche with Hammer = win) but I don't know if I want to do that since it will take a while to clear all the enemies and get to those chests.

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like Gold, a Recover staff, and a Second Seal. I'll try to nab that Second Seal in a couple turns and run, that map is a mess due to the Pegasus Knights flying in.

kayos90

So if you went level 20, then promoted and then leveled to 20 again and then second sealed, still the same effect, expect the game counts you had 40 levels so your exp gain will be decreased even more barring difficulty levels.

So... if I second seal I screwed myself in terms of getting more skills, yeah?

scy

So... if I second seal I screwed myself in terms of getting more skills, yeah?

You're still level 1 after using a Second Seal. The only thing that changes by Second Sealing at Level 20 Promoted is that you have a higher Internal Level for EXP gain calculations. Everything else operates as normal.

Just to give an idea of why Donnel is so amazing:

image.png

This is showing Donnel as a Hero (with Aptitude), MU as a hero (with +STR -SPD), Lon'qu as a Swordmaster, and Owain as a Swordmaster (with Vaike as his dad).

Donnel's growth rates are better in every category besides MAG (where he's tied for best).

kayos90

You're still level 1 after using a Second Seal. The only thing that changes by Second Sealing at Level 20 Promoted is that you have a higher Internal Level for EXP gain calculations. Everything else operates as normal.

Right. I'll just get experience really, slowly, right?

Draxal

This is showing Donnel as a Hero (with Aptitude), MU as a hero (with +STR -SPD), Lon'qu as a Swordmaster, and Owain as a Swordmaster (with Vaike as his dad).

Donnel's growth rates are better in every category besides MAG (where he's tied for best).

His growth rates are good and all, but he's limited by skill choices and skills/weapon class (dark magic) are what break this game.

scy

On the other hand, Donnel has a lot of negative stat caps so he tends to have lower max stats than many other characters. He just has absurdly good growths.

He also doesn't have a super amazing class option for him.

Right. I'll just get experience really, slowly, right?

Pretty much. How slow will depend on the Difficulty Level as Internal Level has a cap.

Midou

His growth rates are good and all, but he's limited by skill choices and skills/weapon class (dark magic) are what break this game.

He is still fairly broken. Sol works very similar to Nosferatu, and he triggers it constantly for me. He dodges like 95%+ of the time as well.

On the other hand, Donnel has a lot of negative stat caps so he tends to have lower max stats than many other characters. He just has absurdly good growths.

Pretty much. How slow will depend on the Difficulty Level as Internal Level has a cap.
When do you start noticing him being not that great? I'm about to start Chapter 21 (playing Hard/Classic) and absolutely nothing can touch him. I keep Cherche paired with him which also helps.

ultron87

I just finished Chap 13 and got all the
recruit yo kids
missions. It looks like those should be harder, which will be nice. I was feeling kind of overleveled for awhile here. My Chrom/Sumia and Avatar/Cordelia teams have been tearing through pretty much everything for quite awhile.

Guys, i can send my level 5 bow knight donnel to activate the 4 promoted level 4 guards surrounding the boss and he will kill them all without taking a hit with a bronze weapon.

Its fucking crazy.

blackflag

Did I dun gimped myself when I started this game? For my avatar I chose magic as the weakness...not knowing anything about the game.

Come to find out he is a magic user. I'm on chapter 6 and he hits for horribly gimped damage.

Midou

When do you start noticing him being not that great? I'm about to start Chapter 21 (playing Hard/Classic) and absolutely nothing can touch him. I keep Cherche paired with him which also helps.

He did half the life-bar of the last boss for me, so, he was great all the way to the end for me, also Hard/Classic. I pair him up with someone to give him at least 50 luck with a modified Alm's Sword, which has 20 MT and like 16% base Crit, he also crits like a demon, especially with pair up bonus for it. He may not be as broken as Nosferatu, but Nosferatu is just 0 effort.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

That's where his kid comes in. Use Donnel through the game where the growths make a big difference, then have an awesome kid with Donnels growths thanks to Aptitude and better caps + class options.

He did half the life-bar of the last boss for me, so, he was great all the way to the end for me, also Hard/Classic. I pair him up with someone to give him at least 50 luck with a modified Alm's Sword, which has 20 MT and like 16% base Crit, he also crits like a demon, especially with pair up bonus for it. He may not be as broken as Nosferatu, but Nosferatu is just 0 effort.
So are people talking about some kind of crazy post-game DLC stuff or just various ways to break the game or Lunatic or what? When is it suddenly apparent that Donnel just isn't going to cut it anymore? I don't doubt that he isn't the "best" unit when all is said and done but when it comes to bang for your buck on a typical playthrough the guy is a force to be reckoned with.

Chrom

Second Seals don't double as Master Seals, do they? It was my impression that they did, ever since I knew about them. I guess I misunderstood this whole time.

Draxal

You probably wouldn't notice it until the harder dlc, if at all.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's a bad character, but you're playing a game which has infinite levels for grinding, and have infinite oppurtunities to buy stat bonus items at the traveling annas across the stage. Pretty much any character can reach capped stats.

scy

Maybe I need to change my terminology but Donnel's big problem are his maximum possible stats (off-hand, he's got -1s almost across the board with his big bonus stat being his +3 Luck cap). He's a monster in the mid-game because he'll almost always get good stat gains so he'll stand out vs the average enemy. Realistically speaking, he'll be a monster in the end-game because max stats in general are nearly overkill anyway.

He's just not the best unit in the game when maxed out due to his lack of good skills or any super awesome class for him to be (at best, Hero?). This is purely a min/max debate at that point. Every parent tends to be overshadowed by the children though, not something unique to Donnel; you can get the kids to have almost entirely positive ones or some absurd (like, +5) stat cap bonuses.

Draxal

Second Seals don't double as Master Seals, do they? It was my impression that they did, ever since I knew about them. I guess I misunderstood this whole time.

They only double when an advance class reaches level 10 (although you'd probably want to hit 15 for the second skill), using it then can promote that char to another advanced class.

GeekyDad

Just completed my first paralogue with one of the "kids," and I get it now. Before, I didn't quite get how they worked the kids into the story, but considering the fantasy premise, it's...plausible.

And I love how the game at times makes you feel like you're a ridiculous bad ass, wiping out five dudes in a row, and then some mage comes along who threatens to wipe out your entire party.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh...this seems like this would be kind of hard cause they are tossing units at me left and right. I know Chrom, Sumia, Avatar, Lisse, Sully, and Stahl are my current mainstays right now and I'm trying my damnest to level Donny from 2 to 3 without him dying.

Ah, you're not even into the meat of it yet. You'll get plenty more characters and some of your mainstays might fall off in favour of the new, better units. Don't really sweat over who you're using though, there are almost no 'bad' characters in this game. Just use whoever you want. If you decide you want to use a character that has fallen behind, you can always grind them up through the free DLC, or Risen spawns.

And yes, Donnel is a great unit. He's well worth the pain of leaving him up in the beginning. After you reach level 15 as a Villager (obtaining his final skill from the class) feel free to use a Seal on him and reclass. He'll be a monster in no time.

Chrom

They only double when an advance class reaches level 10 (although you'd probably want to hit 15 for the second skill), using it then can promote that char to another advanced class.

Ah, okay. I understand what you're saying, but I don't believe that would really make it the same thing if we're just talking about base class -> advanced class changing like what I had in mind. Thanks for clarifying anyway, though.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Man with all the questions you answer in this thread I assumed you had already beat it in Japanese or something! Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else with an avatar like that.

But no, Second Seals move you horizontally or downwards on the class tree, never upwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom