• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I might've considered using Donnel if he didn't have a goddamned pot on his head, or talk like a slackjawed yokel in every friggin line. It's the voice clips that really do him in for me, I just can't take 'em. I am already regretting the time I'll have to spend using him to get him up to an S with Nowi.

Just wait until you acquire Aversa's Night.

It's literally an enhanced version of Nosferatu.

It's like saying "Please attack me! I'm invincible!" Hell, it's better to be attacked than attack with it.

Speaking of which, enemies have really weird AI priority on hard sometimes. They'll be right next to two units, one they can damage and survive, the other they can't hurt at all and will kill them instantly. But because the stronger one is a mage and the weaker one is a knight, they attack the stronger one almost every time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I might've considered using Donnel if he didn't have a goddamned pot on his head, or talk like a slackjawed yokel in every friggin line. It's the voice clips that really do him in for me, I just can't take 'em. I am already regretting the time I'll have to spend using him to get him up to an S with Nowi.

Just pair him with Nowi and let her do all the work. But personally I enjoy using the goofy units in these games. FE doesn't have to be bleak serious business. I'm glad characters have personality in this game rather than Sacred Stones which just bored me to death, especially with the lead characters.

It's like saying "Please attack me! I'm invincible!" Hell, it's better to be attacked than attack with it.

Speaking of which, enemies have really weird AI priority on hard sometimes. They'll be right next to two units, one they can damage and survive, the other they can't hurt at all and will kill them instantly. But because the stronger one is a mage and the weaker one is a knight, they attack the stronger one almost every time.

I was surprised by the AI on Hard at first, because I disarmed Freddie expecting the AI to attack the unarmed unit like in previous games. But to my shocking and surprise, they would gang up on any unit they could possibly KO, rather than take the route of least damage to themselves.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Just pair him with Nowi and let her do all the work.

That's probably not a bad idea, I could just pull his level-2 ass into chapter 13 where I'm at and hide him behind her the whole time that way, instead of spawning weak overworld fights. Certainly an option if literally all I want is the relationship, and don't care about him growing at all. I wish I could do that with Maribelle/Ricken, but alas they're BOTH like level 4.

Met my first StreetPass team today and fought them. This was the result.

bbJVQBF.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I've wondered about this. Enemies suicide on my Dark Knight Miriel all the time. She has really good defense and solid res so they almost never do any significant damage, and she has the speed to double almost any enemy and the mag to hit 20+ on most melee units.

Same thing happened early in the game with Lissa, I promoted her first so she would have use other than healing, and despite being arguably my strongest character at the time enemies went after her relentlessly, barely making a scratch.

It's annoying, because I'd rather other units get some of that experience.

Anteo

Did I dun gimped myself when I started this game? For my avatar I chose magic as the weakness...not knowing anything about the game.

Come to find out he is a magic user. I'm on chapter 6 and he hits for horribly gimped damage.

He is not a magic user. He can use swords and magic, in fact, he comes with a sword from the first chapter and Lisa notes that in the first turn. (My MU is -HP + SKILL and even then he's got like 10 more str than magic)

Lunar15

Speed was a bad choice for main stat, huh?

I GOT QUAD ATTACKS MOTHER FUCKERS

COME.

AT.

ME.

I don't think anyone ever said speed was a bad choice for main stat. Everyone knows it's one of the most important stats in FE.

Also, the two faces of the RNG are amazing. You see people go from the euphoric highs to ghastly lows. I love it. THIS IS FIRE EMBLEM.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

He's amazing for exactly those reasons. Who doesn't want a pothead yokel hero?

Btw, I just hit Chapter 12, and my support levels are still incredibly fucking low. I've got one at B I think, a few at C, and some at nothing. Are you guys just grinding that shit, or is everyone just that much further in the game?

I'm finding it incredibly hard to increase support levels for marriage, because I have so few female characters on my team. Right now, the only three real badass females on my team are Tharja, Nowi and Anna.

(I'm also like, 17 hours in and only at Chapter 12 because I enjoy wiping Risen off the map doing paralogues before moving on).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Where can I find beaststones? I'm running out and not ready to stop turning into a bunny D:

Stores will sell them later on and you receive one as an end of chapter reward about half way through the game. Check shops whenever Anna is in and check Spotpass characters to see if they have any on hand.

Btw, I just hit Chapter 12, and my support levels are still incredibly fucking low. I've got one at B I think, a few at C, and some at nothing. Are you guys just grinding that shit, or is everyone just that much further in the game?

I'm finding it incredibly hard to increase support levels for marriage, because I have so few female characters on my team. Right now, the only three real badass females on my team are Tharja, Nowi and Anna.

Are you pairing up a lot? By Chapter 12 I had two, or three ladies lined up to S rank with My Unit and I had Chrom already S rank with Sumia.

Not like there's any hurry though. You have half the game left to go and plenty of units left to be introduced.

scy

Just pair him with Nowi and let her do all the work.

I was grinding supports with Nowi with no plans of actually using her.

Of her ~28 levels she's gained, she's gotten at least 15 +1 to All (or almost All) stats.

So ... I guess I'm using her now.

ultron87

Heh, I'm having the exact opposite problem. Too many ladies, not enough eligible dudes on the team. My three "good" dudes (Chrom, Avatar, and Lon'qu) are now all paired up so I need to start bringing some new faces in or something. Or just grind them so A rank with others.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I was grinding supports with Nowi with no plans of actually using her.

Of her ~28 levels she's gained, she's gotten at least 15 +1 to All (or almost All) stats.

So ... I guess I'm using her now.

I didn't end up using her, but some of the SpotPass teams I've come across have had beastly Nowis.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
And speaking of Dark Knight Miriel, she will be amazing once I get around to farming her sword rank up to C for the Levin Sword.

I think most of the people on my team are female. :lol

And the DLC is the best way to get supports from my experience. Just take the two units you want to gain support (and maybe a couple others to get the free items from the villages), pair them up, and let them go at it. I got one pair from C to S in like 15 minutes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Thanks EvilMario and Anteo.
I'm on CH 10 so soon. :3

If you're reeeeally low and don't have another Beaststone on hand, you can just pair her up with another unit as the backup so she's attacking less, but still being useful for the team / raising her supports.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Stores will sell them later on and you receive one as an end of chapter reward about half way through the game. Check shops whenever Anna is in and check Spotpass characters to see if they have any on hand.

Are you pairing up a lot? By Chapter 12 I had two, or three ladies lined up to S rank with My Unit and I had Chrom already S rank with Sumia.

Not like there's any hurry though. You have half the game left to go and plenty of units left to be introduced.

No, I only pair if I have to. I miss out on leveling for some characters if I pair up too much. I usually just set them up next to each other.

I'll be sure to pair them more if that's what builds support the most.

I think most of the people on my team are female. :lol

And the DLC is the best way to get supports from my experience. Just take the two units you want to gain support (and maybe a couple others to get the free items from the villages), pair them up, and let them go at it. I got one pair from C to S in like 15 minutes.

This is awesome. I'll do just that. Considering how low level the DLC units compared to my team, it should go fairly quickly.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of female units on my team. That was never the aim. It just worked out that way.

Kyzon

If you're reeeeally low and don't have another Beaststone on hand, you can just pair her up with another unit as the backup so she's attacking less, but still being useful for the team / raising her supports.

I keep her paired up with my avatar, I've just been raising her level, and I believe I have 12 more uses before I'm out @_@

Chrom

Man with all the questions you answer in this thread I assumed you had already beat it in Japanese or something! Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else with an avatar like that.

But no, Second Seals move you horizontally or downwards on the class tree, never upwards.

Haha, nah. I'm only just getting the game today. I like to think that I've been able to answer a lot of questions here because I've always been trying to keep myself informed about everything ever since the game got announced, plus I just like helping out if I see a chance. I don't know everything about it of course, but hey, now I finally have the game.

But yeah, I'm surprised I wasn't entirely right about how promoting/reclassing worked until now. It only occurred to me when someone elsewhere just mentioned that Second Seals never change your unit from a base to an advanced, after I tried explaining it all to someone else. I got a silly feeling from that, but at least I got it now! Thanks for the response.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is awesome. I'll do just that. Considering how low level the DLC units compared to my team, it should go fairly quickly.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of female units on my team. That was never the aim. It just worked out that way.

I think I cleared the map 5 times. Averaged about 3 turns each time, though I was using more than the paired units to clear it (one side was paired units, the other side was a unit I was trying to gain WEXP with).

I did it on DLC 2 though, I don't remember how the units are laid out on DLC 1, but I started my pair on the left side of the map since there was only 1 AI unit to compete against (and she dies quickly).

thetrin

I keep her paired up with my avatar, I've just been raising her level, and I believe I have 12 more uses before I'm out @_@

I got real lucky, and got one as a drop a few levels ago. Glad to hear I'll be able to buy them soon.

Avalible in stores around CH 12

thanks! was wondering about that, too...

just finished chapter 9. did anyone else
recruit tharja, & then watch her one-shot the boss? :)

this game's just amazing - i'd sorta forgotten what it was about the 2 gba games (the only other fes i've played) that i loved so much, but it's definitely all come back - perma-death forever! :) ...

also, very glad i took the time to nurse donnel (now a bad-ass barbarian) along...

Soulhouf

Holy shit, Donnel broke my game.
Level 3 Mercenary, I sent him paired with Lissa in chapter 12 and he slaughtered the entire enemy's army alone :(
I think this is the last time I use that monster.

I think Donnel broke my game.
Level 3 Mercenary, I sent him paired with Lissa in chapter 12 and he slaughtered the entire enemy's army alone :(
This is the last time I use that monster.

The 'Awakening' in Fire Emblem Awakening refers to Donnel's awakening as he goes from villager to God.

Kenai

That's one of many reasons she's my Avatar's waifu. Was love at first sight. That and Nintendo will not let me fully seduce
Gregor :(
although the convo's up to A rank were hilarious and surprisingly full of enough innuendo to keep me moderately satisfied.

omg just got Nah, desu desu~

Having Donnel as the pops is probably gonna make her broken lol.

BTW: dragonstone is based off str right?

And I see the benefit of mages late game where everyone got them generals. Might need to start using those armor breaking swords too.

Venfayth

Someone a question answer for me, please. :)

When I play RPGs, I always try to find ways to grind/farm my characters to ridiculously strong levels. Especially in a game like this where characters die permanently, I'm hoping there's a way I can do this.

Are there any arenas and/or respawnable fights I can go to in order to train my characters?

thetrin

this game's just amazing - i'd sorta forgotten what it was about the 2 gba games (the only other fes i've played) that i loved so much, but it's definitely all come back - perma-death forever! :) ...

also, very glad i took the time to nurse donnel (now a bad-ass barbarian) along...

Donnel's growth in my game is no doubt the most rewarding part so far. He used to be completely useless. Now he's my most badass unit.

Doorman

So, got Libra last night and kinda forgot he existed up until now. Has anybody else tried to actually integrate him into their normal army of folks? From previous Fire Emblem games I'm already kind of pre-programed to ignore already-promoted units out of assuming that they soak up experience and tend not to be that great, but thanks to the magic of reclassing and my amusement at his recruitment speech, I'm wondering if he might be more viable than I first thought. He might force me to reorganize all the pairings I'd been planning.

While we're on the topic of chapter 9, does anybody else feel like (chapter 9 post-battle spoilers)
Emmeryn acted completely stupidly in making her sacrifice? I haven't moved on to chapter 10 story-wise yet but what the hell was she hoping to accomplish with that? Sure, Chrom wouldn't have reason to hand over the Fire Emblem anymore, but when Gangrel already admitted to her face during the first encounter with him that his goal is to KILL ALL YLISSEANS, there's not a chance in hell that her (literally) throwing herself to the mercy of Plegia will prevent further bloodshed. Hell if anything, wouldn't this just make Gangrel more likely to invade and overrun a country that just lost its beloved ruler? I grasped the impact of the moment but still can't help but feel like it's such a stupid, empty gesture.
Still, I didn't think they'd really go there, so minor props for that.

When I play RPGs, I always try to find ways to grind/farm my characters to ridiculously strong levels. Especially in a game like this where characters die permanently, I'm hoping there's a way I can do this.

Are there any arenas and/or respawnable fights I can go to in order to train my characters?

i use/abuse the 'wireless/bonus box/bonus teams' feature, which lets you fight unlimited battles with teams led by different characters from previous games...

This game has a hilarious number of ways to grind. There are Risen that naturally appear on the map, there are infinite number of 'Bonus Box' teams you can summon to grind against anytime you wish, there are Reeking Boxes to buy/find that put more Risen on the map, and there are StreetPass teams to fight against as well. Not to mention the free/paid DLC from DLC Island.

Soulhouf

You should play the game Calssic with Lunatic mode then :p

Roto13

So, got Libra last night and kinda forgot he existed up until now. Has anybody else tried to actually integrate him into their normal army of folks? From previous Fire Emblem games I'm already kind of pre-programed to ignore already-promoted units out of assuming that they soak up experience and tend not to be that great, but thanks to the magic of reclassing and my amusement at his recruitment speech, I'm wondering if he might be more viable than I first thought. He might force me to reorganize all the pairings I'd been planning.

While we're on the topic of chapter 9, does anybody else feel like (chapter 9 post-battle spoilers)
Emmeryn acted completely stupidly in making her sacrifice? I haven't moved on to chapter 10 story-wise yet but what the hell was she hoping to accomplish with that? Sure, Chrom wouldn't have reason to hand over the Fire Emblem anymore, but when Gangrel already admitted to her face during the first encounter with him that his goal is to KILL ALL YLISSEANS, there's not a chance in hell that her (literally) throwing herself to the mercy of Plegia will prevent further bloodshed. Hell if anything, wouldn't this just make Gangrel more likely to invade and overrun a country that just lost its beloved ruler? I grasped the impact of the moment but still can't help but feel like it's such a stupid, empty gesture.

You are going to see how completely wrong you are.

Kenai

You'll start getting your answers soon, but to make a long story short
besides the Emblem stuff, her sacrifice also causes a serious morale drop in the Plegians, and they start actively revolting against Gangrel. By the time you get to fight Gangrel himself, most of his army and pretty much all of the citizenry have abandoned him. And tbh, that's just the beginning

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
About Libra, or Emmeryn? :p
Either way, I'd love to be wrong, I want there to be more impact, but in the immediate wake I can't help but feel kind of underwhelmed by its significance.

Emmeryn. You'll see soon enough, heck you'll see in the next chapter.

Anteo

About Libra: I got him in my main party, currently married to Tharja.

About the other thing: She gave an speech before doing that thing, so she hoped at least some people would listen. Keep playing to see if it really pays of or not.

Kenai

There's these things called Reeking Boxes that summon Risen, normal "random encounter" Risen, and DLC teams with older FE characters and Spotpass teams.

Doorman

Another aside that I'm reminded of thanks to chapter 9.

I dunno how many people still use the little voice-emotes during talking sequences (a lot of people seem to complain about them), but I could not help but burst out laughing when Basilio stepped in with his "HELL no!" Made the whole experience of those voices worth it. :D

Don't forget the huge stat bonus when paired up.

Another aside that I'm reminded of thanks to chapter 9.

I dunno how many people still use the little voice-emotes during talking sequences (a lot of people seem to complain about them), but I could not help but burst out laughing when Basilio stepped in with his "HELL no!" Made the whole experience of those voices worth it. :D

Haha, yeah, that part was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom