• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setre

By my extremely rough calculations, one first generation male gets left single, forever alone. Suggestions?

I think it's two, at least I had two left over and I'm pretty sure I married everyone off. The two who didn't get hitched in my playthrough were Vaike and Ricken.

timnich

For Chapter 10( I think), do I have to worry about the thirds running of the stage? Or can I take my time getting to them? Because they are carrying some pretty nice items, but it feels impossible to get all of them if they can exit the stage

How do you prevent a weapon from breaking? The Forge?

And how do you repair a broken weapon?

Heal and Ephraim Lance just broke on me in the midst of a tough battle

GSR

Can someone explain to me the difference between Spotpass/DLC?

Spotpass is free and downloads automatically - so far it's just been teams to fight and some items, though apparently they'll send maps later. DLC is paid DLC of maps and characters which you have to go out of your way to acquire.

GSR

So does spotpass give you extra missions?

Edited it above, but to clarify (as far as I know): right now SportPass will send out teams to fight/recruit of old Fire Emblem characters, but these don't take place on special maps, just the campaign maps like any other skirmish. But the DLC takes place on new maps.

I believe later on they'll start sending new maps and missions through SpotPass as well.

Mine has

80 45 29 53 45 42 42 34

as a hero atm. Everything is capped but defense and resistance.

what are your flaws and assets that 53 skill so good :)

edit: also why you should use donnel because hes a good tool for random gimmicks and passing off the aptitude skill (im horrible)

ZldlU3H

Delio

My Servera is a lv 15 Hero with

66 37 7 45 37 38 31 19

I havent second sealed her tho. Im kinda scared of what to make her now.

I've been playing Chapter 12 all night, I'm not even sure what the falter in my strategy is. I essentially just wall up down at the start point of the map and kill the waves as the come. The problem is that you are fighting so many total units on this map that statistically one of your dudes is going to get crit shotted to oblivion.

Just some napkin math, but if you fight 20 consecutive enemies, each that has just a 3% chance of critical, that comes to almost a 50% chance one of your dudes is getting sacrificed to the RNG gods.

I've been playing Chapter 12 all night, I'm not even sure what the falter in my strategy is. I essentially just wall up down at the start point of the map and kill the waves as the come. The problem is that you are fighting so many total units on this map that statistically one of your dudes is going to get crit shotted to oblivion.

Just some napkin math, but if you fight 20 consecutive enemies, each that has just a 3% chance of critical, that comes to almost a 50% chance one of your dudes is getting sacrificed to the RNG gods.

I tried this chaper two days ago and kept losing someone. So I reset and have been grinding since.

Anteo

Huh? no, you still have a 3% chance of getting crit. Are you like, adding all the chances?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Percentages don't work like that. You can't combine them all the way you are. This is like doing 20 rolls with a 100 sided die. Or 20 flips of a coin. The older rolls don't affect the future ones.

Anteo

Percentages don't work like that. You can't combine them all the way you are. This is like doing 20 rolls with a 100 sided die. Or 20 flips of a coin. The older rolls don't affect the future ones.

I'm just looking for the link on wikipedia that explains that (as my english is not that good and I remember reading it). But yeah it is still 3%

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
My Servera is a lv 15 Hero with

66 37 7 45 37 38 31 19

I havent second sealed her tho. Im kinda scared of what to make her now.

Dang how are you guys gettin such high numbers on dudes without second sealing lol? Do the children have significantly better stat gain than the regulars? My level 5-6 master sealed team hovers around 23-28 in most stats.

I'm avoiding second sealing for now because I don't want to worry too much over stats hassle and try to play this like the old fire emblems, but might decide to min/max on my second playthrough or after the main story.

Kazerei

Banned

I think his math is right. If each encounter has 3% chance of critical hit, then the probability of getting through 20 encounters with no critical hits is:

(1 - 0.03) ^ 20 = 0.54

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Starting my second playthrough now. Once more going with Luck as my asset (+5 to Str, Mag growth along with +10 to Luck), but taking Defense (-10 to Def, -5 Luck/Res) as a flaw this time instead of Magic. Defense as a flaw doesn't touch my offensive abilities and is much less hindering than -HP.

yeah that napkin math is not math, but don't worry stats is easy to confuse :p

time to marry up the characters i've never touched at all before... this is gonna be a joy.

Dang how are you guys gettin such high numbers on dudes without second sealing lol? Do the children have significantly better stat gain than the regulars? My level 5-6 master sealed team hovers around 23-28 in most stats.

I'm avoiding second sealing for now because I don't want to worry too much over stats hassle and try to play this like the old fire emblems, but might decide to min/max on my second playthrough or after the main story.

they do as they get the gained modifiers of both parents (so they can have super ridiculous growths and caps )

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think his math is right. If each encounter has 3% chance of critical hit, then the probability of getting through 20 encounters with no critical hits is:

(1 - 0.03) ^ 20 = 0.54

It wouldn't work like that. One roll wouldn't affect the next unless the result of the first roll affects the second.

For example you roll a die twice. Both times you have a 1 in 6 chance of getting the number you want. This would be the standard roll.

The only way you increase the probability of having the number show up the second time is if you remove the result of the first roll from your second. Basically if you want a 1 and the first time you roll a 2, in the second roll you remove the 2 from the die. So you'd go from a 1 in 6 chance to a 1 in 5.

Anteo

(1 - 0.03) ^ 20 = 0.54

What if the chance was a 3% of getting away with no crits?

after 20 I have 0.54 of getting crit?

emb

You guys are saying that doing twenty trials with a 3% chance each time has a 3% chance of a crit activating? What?

So if I flip a coin 20 times, that still leaves me with a 1/2 chance of getting heads? I mean that's true of the last flip obviously, but the chance of never getting heads throughout is much lower.

Edit: Remembered what this is called. Binomial probability. One or the other has to happen, 3% chance of 'success'. It's been a while, but at least this calculator seems to agree with the math above. http://www.vassarstats.net/binomialX.html

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
they do as they get the gained modifiers of both parents (so they can have super ridiculous growths and caps )

So I guess I should get to recruiting all the children ASAP (still on CH 14 of the main quest tho). Although, I'm waiting to hit level 15 on some of my master sealed guys so the kids can inherit their skill.

Roto13

I'm just looking for the link on wikipedia that explains that (as my english is not that good and I remember reading it). But yeah it is still 3%

So what you're saying is, if a thousand enemies come at you with a 3% chance of getting a critical hit, you will probably never ever be on the receiving end of a critical hit.

TWILT

Banned
All children recruited. Now to pair them all up!

Hmm, looks like one female is gonna be forever alone though...
Sorry Kjelle.

Kazerei

Banned
It wouldn't work like that. One roll wouldn't affect the next unless the result of the first roll affects the second.

For example you roll a die twice. Both times you have a 1 in 6 chance of getting the number you want. This would be the standard roll.

The only way you increase the probability of having the number show up the second time is if you remove the result of the first roll from your second. Basically if you want a 1 and the first time you roll a 2, in the second roll you remove the 2 from the die. So you'd go from a 1 in 6 chance to a 1 in 5.

That's not really the correct analogy.

Let's say you wanted to roll two consecutive 1's. Both times you have a 16.6% chance of rolling a 1. But the overall probability of both times rolling 1 is about 2.7%.

Anteo

You guys are saying that doing twenty trials with a 3% chance each time has a 3% chance of a crit activating? What?

So if I flip a coin 20 times, that still leaves me with a 1/2 chance of getting heads? I mean that's true of the last flip obviously, but the chance of never getting heads throughout is much lower.

Nope, lets take a simple case

H -> T
H ->H
T ->T
T ->H

if i get heads in my first throw, what is the chance of getting heads again?
What you are thinking about is "what is the chance that in 2 throws I get 2 heads in a row?" that is 25%, but, as you see, after getting the first head, the second coin has 50% chances of getting another head

Roto13

H -> T
H ->H
T ->T
T ->H

What you are thinking about is "what is the chance that in 2 throws I get 2 heads in a row?" that is 25%, but, as you see, after getting the first head, the second coin has 50% chances of getting another head

That's not the point, though.

Kazerei

Banned

H -> T
H ->H
T ->T
T ->H

Right, because that's the scenario Snowden was describing. You have to be pretty damn lucky to get through an entire battle without seeing a critical hit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

H -> T
H ->H
T ->T
T ->H

Pretty much this. The more you roll the more likely you are to get the roll you want, but each individual roll still has the same probability of the event occurring. For example I'm on like chapter 19 and I've never been crit, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom