• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esura

Banned
Ah, you're not even into the meat of it yet. You'll get plenty more characters and some of your mainstays might fall off in favour of the new, better units. Don't really sweat over who you're using though, there are almost no 'bad' characters in this game. Just use whoever you want. If you decide you want to use a character that has fallen behind, you can always grind them up through the free DLC, or Risen spawns.

And yes, Donnel is a great unit. He's well worth the pain of leaving him up in the beginning. After you reach level 15 as a Villager (obtaining his final skill from the class) feel free to use a Seal on him and reclass. He'll be a monster in no time.

I think I'm overthinking everything. Knowing that there is a bunch of children characters who stats are determined by what I do with their parents it got me all in a titzy.

I guess I'll stop doing all these Florina battles and just go to Chapter 5.

Artemisia

Banned
If a character finds a weapon in the battlefield, are they stuck with it until the character trades it to someone else on the battlefield?

You can just go to the inventory and give it to whoever you want...

EDIT: Oh I read that as barracks. Yes, they will be stuck with it unless they already have all their item slots full, where you will then be given an option to send it to the convoy which only Chrom has access to on the battlefield.

There are choke points in this game? It's like Kansas out here, flat and open for as far as the eye can see.

Chapter 12 or whichever is the one at the port is choke heaven. Seriously, I did not move from the starting area, and everyone came at me and impaled themselves on Kellam, Gregor, and Cherche with the mages as backup.

How do you prevent a weapon from breaking? The Forge?

And how do you repair a broken weapon?

Heal and Ephraim Lance just broke on me in the midst of a tough battle

Weapons are destined to break, unless you have the Armsthrift skill or a Hammerne staff. Get used to buying more.

Are Barracks events random or something?
I don't really get them.

Yes

If a character finds a weapon in the battlefield, are they stuck with it until the character trades it to someone else on the battlefield?

2) having problems with free dlc. I go to eshop to download, it launches the game and then...what?

Yes. Unless their inventory is full and it goes to the convoy, which Chrom has access to on the battlefield.

And play more chapters until you unlock the DLC menu in the game. It's 5 I think

Moonlight

Banned
1) No, before every battle (or on the world map), just go into Inventory, choose your character and select 'store', which puts it in your convoy.

2) You don't buy DLC through the eShop, there's an island called 'Outrealm Gate' near where you start on the world map and that's the storefront.

The thing is, even the opportunity to grind in FE feels strange to me because a staple of the franchise (well, of the games I've played from it) is that there's a limited quantity of exp in the game so you have to be careful about how you distribute it. I know that there have always been ways to circumvent this like arenas in FE7, the tower/ruins in FE8, bonus exp in FE9, etc. but I've always generally tried to avoid those whenever possible.

I just don't feel like I'm making good enough progress on my supports and the money situation is bad, but I guess I'll persevere.
I've only done the story chapters up to 16 and the first four or five paralogues so far, and supports do seem pretty sparse, but I've got money pouring out of every orifice.

Sooner than later, you'll start consistently getting M and L Bullion(worth 5k and 10k respectively) from chests, enemy thieves, etc. Plus the game throws piles of weapons at you that you can vendor, as well as the occasional crappy stat item(like +luck).

vall03

Is February 12 in your time zone yet? Make sure you check the Barracks when it is!

Happy Birthday Miriel!

yup, its been Feb 12 in my country for more than 14 hrs now. Was also suprised when I checked the Barracks. So I guess thats the reason why everybody have a birthdate and why its also asked for Avatar creation.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Uh, another question: Is there divorce in this game? Aka can I change the "S" relationship from one character to another?

happy bday

185px-Miriel_confession.jpg

Shame goddess rng won't bless her with good stats.

Teknoman

Any recommendations for leveling Donnel in hard mode? Trying to get him some exp on kills or assists, but he's doing 0 damage now. Or is it his weapon that is at fault?

GSR

I paired my Avatar with
Lucina
and now Morgan is absolutely insane. She inherited Rally Spectrum, so I'm thinking of promoting her to something other than Grandmaster - just need to figure out what.

EDIT: Wait, derp, can only reclass to a first tier or make her a Grandmaster. Decisions, decisions.

Czigga

speaking of donnel... that's the first kid right in like the first side quest? in my play through he got double shotted and killed. am I sol in getting him now? would kinda suck. I didn't reload cuz I'm trying to play pseudo hardcore even though I'm playing casual.

I paired my Avatar with
Lucina
and now Morgan is absolutely insane. She inherited Rally Spectrum, so I'm thinking of promoting her to something other than Grandmaster - just need to figure out what.

EDIT: Wait, derp, can only reclass to a first tier or make her a Grandmaster. Decisions, decisions.

Reclass her to something related to your guy's asset/flaw

The fact that they fit this entire game onto ~1 GB is astounding. I can only imagine what the game would have been like if they used the full 4 GB cartridge cap -- or how potentially massive the game could be on a Wii U disc. While I don't know jack squat about SMT, I'm still incredibly excited for SMT x FE.

I can see them making a sequel using this engine and assets (its almost guaranteed to happen). Too bad they kinda dug themself in a hole. I'm expecting future games all to have crazy support systems... localization is gonna take a while lol.

Hope they get around to adding unique attack animations for promoted classes at the very least.

Biggest animation disappointment gotta be swordmaster, don't tease us with the dual sword avatar :(

Also, male hero animations are plain bad.

PBalfredo

I'm just up to chapter 7, but I already know that Marth is
Chrom's future daughter. Though I'm sure they'll address why she disguised herself as a man, I like to think that it was a precaution against a Back To The Future scenario. You know how it is: you travel back in time to fight aside your father against some future disaster, and next thing you know you're getting an S rank in the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance.

I can see them making a sequel using this engine and assets (its almost guaranteed to happen). Too bad they kinda dug themself in a hole. I'm expecting future games all to have crazy support systems... localization is gonna take a while lol.

Hope they get around to adding unique attack animations for promoted classes at the very least.

Biggest animation disappointment gotta be swordmaster, don't tease us with the dual sword avatar :(

Also, male hero animations are plain bad.

Genealogy of the Holy War remake!
From what I hear, it's the most popular title in Japan. Also it already has the whole generations thing going for it.

Smiley90

Damnit, I just realized that I probably made a pretty big mistake by using the Master Seals at level 10 instead of waiting until level 20 for using them, since I'll be missing out on all the stat-gains between 10 and 20, right?

fuck me :(

Damnit, I just realized that I probably made a pretty big mistake by using the Master Seals at level 10 instead of waiting until level 20 for using them, since I'll be missing out on all the stat-gains between 10 and 20, right?

fuck me :(
You can always use a Second Seal when your promoted unit hits 10+ if their stats are really subpar. No worries.

a question when you finish the game. Do you save the game and will it let you continue with the file anytime?

From what I could tell, it doesn't save the last battle, so you can attempt to beat it with any combination of units. Like sometime I want to do a run with a full Spotpass team.

Smiley90

You can always use a Second Seal when your promoted unit hits 10+ if their stats are really subpar. No worries.

Mhmmm what are you saying? Like, I can revert them back to a basic class and promote them again, turning them into level 1 again? Does that work an endless amount of times?

Mhmmm what are you saying? Like, I can revert them back to a basic class and promote them again, turning them into level 1 again? Does that work an endless amount of times?

Pretty much that. The only negative is that you'll gain less exp since the game will count the levels you gained before.

Smilax

9 hours in, on Chapter 13, have only lost 2 people. I think I'm doing good for my first try at a Fire Emblem game. Are Mastery seals just on enemies, or is there a shop where I can buy some?

Smiley90

Pretty much that. The only negative is that you'll gain less exp since the game will count the levels you gained before.

aah, is there an upper level to exp gain? e.g.

Basic Class 1-10,
Master Class 1-10
Basic Class 1-10
Master Class 1-10

=

Basic Class 1-20
Master Class 1-20

? In terms of exp, so 40 levels gained either way = same amount of exp?

Smiley90

I believe so.

The cap depends on your difficulty level.

Normal is 20, Hard is 30 and Lunatic is 50 I believe.

What does the cap mean if I can just use Second Seal and go to 1 again though? Will I just stop gaining stats after I've levelled 20 levels, regardless of what class?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeesh I just watched the supports for Chrom and Female avatar. They're so much better than the horseshit that is the male avatar supports it's not even funny. Female avatar is clearly Chrom's best match, the S-rank even plays well into the way he ends up married in-game, Sumia in the opening FMV notwithstanding. None of this pie-to-love Harvest Moon nonsense.

What does the cap mean if I can just use Second Seal and go to 1 again though? Will I just stop gaining stats after I've levelled 20 levels, regardless of what class?

No, it just means the game will only count the levels you earned up to 20 in normal mode. It is just where it'll stop decreasing the amount of exp you earn. You can still continue to gain exp after that point.

The whole keeping track of what levels you gained is taken into account with your unit's current level in determining how much exp you gain per kill. The game puts a cap on the counting the levels you earn.

what does this mean though, is it easier/harder to grind on higher difficulties or your unit has better/worse stats on higher difficulties?

It means that in harder difficulties, you'll be gaining less exp the more times you change classes, since it'll keep counting til it reaches the higher cap. This has nothing to do with what stats you'll gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom