• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWILT

Banned
Can't stop using the children characters. My team right now is basically them with Chrom when he's mandatory (and the occasional Sumia, and Avatar/Cherche I guess).

My Brady and Yarne kinda suck though. >_>;

I am thinking of buying a 3ds for this but I am still unsure about the whoel 3ds vs 3ds xl or if I should wait for another iteration. What are your thoughts ? HOw does the game perform in each case?

not sure what ya asking, 3ds and XL both have the same inner guts, this isn't like iphone 4 to 5.

Personally i like my XL better than my old 3ds which gave me cramps. Get a XL if you are not a baby or have baby hands.

Also, from chapters up to and incl. 3, is it a good idea to keep Miriel around? Even from level 1 she's been amazing but she dies quick... :/
My main team is Chrom, my avatar, Stahl, Sully, Miriel, and Vaike, with Lissa for healing. Am I doing good, any recommendations? Also, how do I get more money?

Really glad this game has casual mode, can't imagine how many times I would have had to restart just the first paralogue :p

You'll want a mage around to roast some armors and other high-DEF units. If you really don't like Miriel, you'll get another mage in a few chapters. But mages do tend to be squishy, so you need to protect them.

Busaiku

Man, I had like all of Chapter 12 with Anna killing everyone with Levin Sword, next to Robin, and they didn't even get to C Rank.

zashga

Finished my first play through tonight (hard/classic), and Fire Emblem is already #1 in my system log ranking at over 41 hours. Already planning another play through with different characters and supports... I love these games.

Tharja was my MVP on the last few stages. She's practically invincible with Nosferatu. Paired her up with Gaius... the poor bastard.

Drago

You'll want a mage around to roast some armors and other high-DEF units. If you really don't like Miriel, you'll get another mage in a few chapters. But mages do tend to be squishy, so you need to protect them.

I actually love Miriel, she's one of my best attackers :p

My biggest problem is that I always focus on attack and not defense, I don't really think about defending. Which is the best unit for defending that I may already have / will get soon?

So without spoiling anything guys, once I make it to Chapter 13 can I still pair people up afterwards and have the children paralogues? Or do I have to get them all paired up before 13? I've only got like...3 couples at S rank right now. Should I grind out a few more before doing the chapter? (I just finished chapter 12, so I'm about to do 13 now).

Also my Ricken has been beasting it pretty well. Tharja too. I never used Miriel once though, shes still level 1. The only character I've just outright ignored. Shameful me, I know.

I actually love Miriel, she's one of my best attackers :p

My biggest problem is that I always focus on attack and not defense, I don't really think about defending. Which is the best unit for defending that I may already have / will get soon?

You should have Kellam. Armor knights are your go-to tank units. Chrom or your cavaliers may be able to tank if their defense is high enough.

And make sure you focus on keeping your units out of harm's way. Like if you need Miriel attacking, but there are more enemies who will kill her on their turn, send some tougher units with her to protect her. Or bait out enemies little by little.

So without spoiling anything guys, once I make it to Chapter 13 can I still pair people up afterwards and have the children paralogues? Or do I have to get them all paired up before 13? I've only got like...3 couples at S rank right now. Should I grind out a few more before doing the chapter? (I just finished chapter 12, so I'm about to do 13 now).

The paralogues unlock anytime after chapter 13. No need to rush to pair off everyone before then other than for the support bonuses.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
More like neither lol.

Who is the mom? Depending on the mom, I'd inherit the other skill that can't be normally gotten through Lucina reclassing.

Sumia. I've reclassed her as a cleric and now sage, no chance to reclass before chapter 13 since I have no second seals.

ohlawd

welp just checked and Lucina can reclass to either Cleric or Sage. I'd still go with Tomefaire since it's more of a pain getting a lvl 15 promoted skill than a lvl 1 base skill

There's that, and (at least in my game) how her stats are so much better than Ricken and Miriel's, especially speed and magic.

Miriel curbstomped my Tharja in speed and magic all day erry day in both my playthroughs.
Still love her though, the original waifu :3

Drago

You should have Kellam. Armor knights are your go-to tank units. Chrom or your cavaliers may be able to tank if their defense is high enough.

And make sure you focus on keeping your units out of harm's way. Like if you need Miriel attacking, but there are more enemies who will kill her on their turn, send some tougher units with her to protect her. Or bait out enemies little by little.

Yeah I have Kellam, haven't used him too much because when I got him he was level 5 while everyone else was around lvls 3-4 at the time (after the paralogue they're between 4-6), so I'll add Kellam to my rotation too then.

I usually try to whittle enemies down one by one using specific units. I always hate it when I aim to get one enemy at a time and then a bunch more come and I have to deal with a lot of enemies at once. :/

Busaiku

Tharja has better defense than Miriel on my end, but she has lower speed, defense, and magic than Ricken.
They're doing almost as much damage with Fire and Wind as she is with Elthunder.

Lunatic is some god damn bullshit I tell you what.

I managed to clear chapter 4 only to realize that they put in some anti-grind stuff like making reeking boxes cost 4800g. And this spotpass team is giving me 1xp per kill.

DLC map 1 seems like it'd work, but apparently I need to worry about hidden levels more on Lunatic? Man...I don't even want to know what Lunatic+ is like.

Hey, if you want difficulty, you shouldn't be allowed to grind.

But yes, Lunatic is some bullshit. I'm on Chapter 10. Can't stop playing, but bullshit nonetheless.

Yeah I have Kellam, haven't used him too much because when I got him he was level 5 while everyone else was around lvls 3-4 at the time (after the paralogue they're between 4-6), so I'll add Kellam to my rotation too then.

I usually try to whittle enemies down one by one using specific units. I always hate it when I aim to get one enemy at a time and then a bunch more come and I have to deal with a lot of enemies at once. :/

Also don't forget to use Pair Up now and then. You'll lose an action from one character but the unit they pair up with will get some nice stat boosts.

There is really nice sprite work going on. Noticed that there are unique animations like virion hair flip and a few others.

Am surprised that mankete and the bunny girl has transformed sprites too if you turn off combat animations.

Drago

Also don't forget to use Pair Up now and then. You'll lose an action from one character but the unit they pair up with will get some nice stat boosts.

Yup, I've been doing a lot of pairing up since I've been able to, mostly Chrom/Vaike and Stahl/Sully. Makes it a lot easier to juggle a large amount of units. I should probably match my avatar and Miriel up too, seeing as they're both mages, if that helps with stat boosts at all.

And is it worth it to try and use Sumia, or will I find better Pegasus Knights? She's been almost completely useless so far for me but if she becomes good later on to have then I'll try to use her more...

emb

I finally finished this game up earlier today.

Last chapter was surprisingly tough. Even though my avatar was 20/20, his stats were still pretty bad for that point. I really should have reclassed him, but I didn't really 'get' it until like halfway through. At that point I decided to just stick with it. A few other chapters near the end were tough too, even though I made sure to overlevel. In general I was really happy with the difficult on hard mode. Not too easy, not life breaking. The middle of the game was probably the most straightforward. Early on options seemed limited, later on enemies tried to overwhelm you, to mixed effect. I tried to avoid extra grinding and battles in FE8 and beat hard mode no problem, not so sure that would work here. I think I should have used more people too. I'm more accustomed to limited exp, but here I felt disadvantaged some times when I went in with less units than the max.

Gerome
was by far my strongest unit. I reclassed him straight to thief then assassin after I got him, he came within a point or two of maxing out everything except magic and res by 20. Vaike was annoyingly slow throughout the game, Miriel was strong but fragile, and Sumia never really got enough strength to matter, though she was a nice support.

Not sure what I'll do now. I guess I should check out the free DLC that I've ignored so far. I'm thinking I'll do another play through, but I'm not sure what sort of play through. Lunatic seemed really sadistic when I tried it; I barely survived the prologue, and even for that I had to abuse Frederick. Normal mode doesn't seem like it would be that interesting though; maybe I'll just replay hard and use different people.

oh just realize beastbane means all animals including horses. This skill is way better than the mankete one which is just wyvern.

I guess it makes up for beast stone only being 1 square range.

Yup, I've been doing a lot of pairing up since I've been able to, mostly Chrom/Vaike and Stahl/Sully. Makes it a lot easier to juggle a large amount of units. I should probably match my avatar and Miriel up too, seeing as they're both mages, if that helps with stat boosts at all.

And is it worth it to try and use Sumia, or will I find better Pegasus Knights? She's been almost completely useless so far for me but if she becomes good later on to have then I'll try to use her more...

You get one more who isn't bad. How much have you leveled Sumia? She's not supposed to hit hard, but be more of a dodge tank and mage-killer. And keep her away from arrows and Elwind.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

My Sumia is actually pretty strong. Even without being paired with Chrom she stands as one of my stronger units. Good range, nice speed and decent strength. I mean I still have to watch for bows and wind magic....

Drago

You get one more who isn't bad. How much have you leveled Sumia? She's not supposed to hit hard, but be more of a dodge tank and mage-killer. And keep her away from arrows and Elwind.

Every time I tried to use her, she died almost instantly. ._.

She's still level 1 I believe. I should try to use her more, maybe I've just had really bad luck so far. Around when do skirmishes start to pop up so I can level up easier?

Draxal

Best skills are

Galeforce
Ignis
Vengeance
Sol/Aether

Armsthrift is good but it's a convenience skill.

Shadowgift
Quickslash
Limit Breaker seem to be the great dlc/spot pass skills.

Aegis/Pavise for tanking and Patience/Avoid are decent for dodge tanks

Boulayman

not sure what ya asking, 3ds and XL both have the same inner guts, this isn't like iphone 4 to 5.

Personally i like my XL better than my old 3ds which gave me cramps. Get a XL if you are not a baby or have baby hands.

Hey, thanks for answering, what I meant is that there was a bit of a controversy at some point about the image being watered down or sth for some 3ds games on the xl because of the bigger screen with a similar resolution but it seems most people think once you go XL you don't go back.

Every time I tried to use her, she died almost instantly. ._.

She's still level 1 I believe. I should try to use her more, maybe I've just had really bad luck so far. Around when do skirmishes start to pop up so I can level up easier?

Feed her kills. Get an enemy sword-user or mage to low HP and let her finish him off. Skirmishes should start showing up regularly within a few chapters, probably less. It's random.

Alright, I'm about to try Ch. 12 for something like the twelfth or thirteenth time. Any suggestions? I have been creating a wall four tall to the east and a choke point two wide (near the start point on the map) and the units do well in each individual battle, but none of them can last 5-8 battles in a single turn.

Should I get my best defensive units and unequip their weapons and have ranged units behind them?

Alright, I'm about to try Ch. 12 for something like the twelfth or thirteenth time. Any suggestions? I have been creating a wall four tall to the east and a choke point two wide (near the start point on the map) and the units do well in each individual battle, but none of them can last 5-8 battles in a single turn.

Should I get my best defensive units and unequip their weapons and have ranged units behind them?

This is what I did and I had no problem. I had Kellam head up the north blockade with Gregor and his Armorslayer (and a steel sword so he wouldn't kill himself) and had my next four high-DEF units form a blockade on the western side. They killed that squad of cavaliers within like two turns and went back to support Kellam and Gregor, which is where all the enemies went for the rest of the chapter. Cherche is useful as a tank. I got her up to lvl. 18 in that chapter.

This is what I did and I had no problem. I had Kellam head up the north blockade with Gregor and his Armorslayer (and a steel sword so he wouldn't kill himself) and had my next four high-DEF units form a blockade on the western side. They killed that squad of cavaliers within like two turns and went back to support Kellam and Gregor, which is where all the enemies went for the rest of the chapter. Cherche is useful as a tank. I got her up to lvl. 18 in that chapter.

Did you pair Gregor and Kellam up?

No. Not at first, at least. I had Miriel and Ricken behind them to finish off the units they weakened, and eventually replaced Gregor with Cherche x Me and we basically solo'd the rest of the map from just standing there. Maybe Anna just smiled on me with good DEF growths.

Okay, so I danced Olivia to lvl 15 dancer, grinded Florina battles to get her to lvl 10 pegasus knight (with Donny boosting her stats), now how do I grind her to a lvl 15 Dark Flier? Any super fast suggestions?

What difficulty is it?

I'm on normal, but just pairing up my best (future)husband and wife pairs with Cherche helping was enough really. Chrom was already promoted but he didn't even do anything.

Okay, so I danced Olivia to lvl 15 dancer, grinded Florina battles to get her to lvl 10 pegasus knight (with Donny boosting her stats), now how do I grind her to a lvl 15 Dark Flier? Any super fast suggestions?

Try grinding with Nino if that's successful and once it seems easy graduate up to Karl. That's more or less been my process when grinding units.

Why waste time grinding a character that can't use supports when there are so many others who can become a dark flier?

ohlawd

Give anyone that can use a lance a Beast Killer and axe users with a Hammer.

bad drawing incoming.

The green dots are your units.

Try to make a small wall (labelled as an olive circle) with Beast Killers that can prevent the advance of the cavaliers on the left.

For the blue circle, get your two bulkiest units (mine were Nowi and Chrom) up front. Let Chrom wield his Rapier and Nowi.... well she's stuck with a Dragonstone. After them, the last row of dots will be your range attackers (mine were Tharja and Miriel). These two will do damage first so when Chrom and Nowi attack, they'll be guaranteed the kill. Maribelle and Lissa should be close by so they can heal Tharja and Miriel if they had to attack an enemy equipped with a Javelin. At least one of the healers should have a Physic in case Chrom or Nowi get beat up bad.

Setre

Decided to do something I never do and replay a game. Going with a female Avatar this time and want to role a Dark Flier/Wyvern Lord. Going to be playing on Hard this time. What's a good Asset/Flaw for those classes? Probably going to choose Speed as my asset just not sure about my Flaw.

zroid

Banned
My friend told me he got the StreetPass achievement during his commute yesterday for 3 in a row who played the same game. The game was Fire Emblem! Gives me hope that it's legitimately selling well, and not just a low supply illusion.

GSR

Man, I thought I was overleveled, but the later chapters really start ramping it up. Chapter 17 was interesting, to say the least.

And holy shit at some of these Paralogues. Paralogue 13 with the two armies is crazy enough even if you decide to ally with one, but it gives you the option to fight both - and that's the only way to get all the villages!

emb

Decided to do something I never do and replay a game. Going with a female Avatar this time and want to role a Dark Flier/Wyvern Lord. Going to be playing on Hard this time. What's a good Asset/Flaw for those classes? Probably going to choose Speed as my asset just not sure about my Flaw.

I think the best way to do it is to just choose what sort of attacks you prefer: magic or weapons. Make str or mag your specialty, make the other your flaw. I guess it kinda defeats the purpose of the versatile avatar unit, but I think it'd be the best way to go for stats. Or if you really want to do both, go with hp/def/res as a weakness and use spd as your bonus. With enough speed I suppose you should dodge most of the time.

Try grinding with Nino if that's successful and once it seems easy graduate up to Karl. That's more or less been my process when grinding units.

Thanks, Nino doesn't look like it's happening though...I just did Amelia which was easy but the entire group was only worth one level, so that's not gonna be efficient. Hmm...

Basileus777 said:
Why waste time grinding a character that can't use supports when there are so many others who can become a dark flier?

To pass down Galeforce to my kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom