• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, thanks. Wonder why I never got any of those bonuses in my file. Maybe it's because I've only used her once or twice. Pretty sure my 3DS is on the right date.

ohlawd

I think it sucks no one shares my birthday in this game.

It'd be perfect if it was a girl too so I can set up the cake, frame my 3DS with her portrait up and have a nice dinner.

vall03

dammit! I just finished the game last night and Im replaying it again! I want to spend some time on the Etrian Odyssey IV demo!

zroid

Banned
I think it sucks no one shares my birthday in this game.

It'd be perfect if it was a girl too so I can set up the cake, frame my 3DS with her portrait up and have a nice dinner.

Might do this now with my b-day mate (and future waifu), Cordy, just to annoy you

dammit! I just finished the game last night and Im replaying it again! I want to spend some time on the Etrian Odyssey IV demo!

I know, I haven't touched the demo yet either ._.

Poyunch

Yeah Kellam and Cordelia are great together. There was way more of a connection than Chrom and Sumia.
Let's get married because you started baking me pies three days ago.
Wtf Fire Emblem. Lissa x Avatar is just as bad.

ohlawd

Don't see why that has to be on your birthday!

I see your point. I should be taking out my waifu out no matter the occasion. Still, I'd like for us both to share a special day and birthdays do it for me.
Besides there are days like Valentine's and Xmas eve too.

do eet. I got 5 characters up to lvl 10, training a Nightseeker and Dancer now since I haven't touched those classes yet. Oh my goodness Dancers are amazing.

Might do this now with my b-day mate (and future waifu), Cordy, just to annoy you

yeah whatever man ;_;

vall03

do eet. I got 5 characters up to lvl 10, training a Nightseeker and Dancer now since I haven't touched those classes yet. Oh my goodness Dancers are amazing.
Im just going to finish up a couple of support conversations and then jump into it. I haven't touched it beyond finishing the tutorial dungeon.

Chrom

In a Pair Up group, is the main unit still able to attack if they choose to separate or transfer the secondary unit, or does their turn immediately end?

In a Pair Up group, is the main unit still able to attack if they choose to separate or transfer the secondary unit, or does their turn immediately end?

For sure, separate ends their turn.

But, I think transferring does allow the main unit to at the very least pair up with someone else since I did that in a chapter earlier.

ohlawd

can't attack anymore in either case

But the main unit can still use items, trade, pair up with another adjacent unit or rally after transferring the second unit.

Separating results in the main unit's turn ending.

Chrom

Ah, okay. That's always been something I have trouble remembering, and I get really anxious when I feel like I need to depend on that mechanic for some purpose but am not sure how it worked.

Credo

Has it been impossible for anyone else to download anything from the Bonus Box? I've tried multiple times after changing wireless settings, but nothing has worked. I just set up my connection in the System Settings tab, and it detected my access point quickly and had a perfect signal. But when I go in the game and choose "Update Now" in the Bonus Box, I get "Error Code: 003-1101 - Could not connect to the access point" every time.

Forkball

Are the paralogues supposed to be this hard?

They are certainly harder than the typical missions. I really like them though, since you get good rewards and they are pretty diverse.

I have VirionXMarabelle at A rank. I just need to focus on GaiusXOlivia, HenryXNowi, and LibraXMiriel. I probably won't both pairing up the kids though unless it comes naturally.

Lucentto

Banned
I just had to grind the DLC for nearly four hours for some of my units to even stand a chance on Lunatic mode. This playthrough will be painful, I know it.

Ala Alba

My friend told me he got the StreetPass achievement during his commute yesterday for 3 in a row who played the same game. The game was Fire Emblem! Gives me hope that it's legitimately selling well, and not just a low supply illusion.

Out of ten unique streetpasses I got in the last two days, 6 were playing Fire Emblem. (I also got that achievement)

In a lecture today at school, a guy two rows in front of me was playing it during class, too. Not proof of anything, but I think it is doing well.

Hmmm is it just me or are Morgan mom conv... 'generic' or is it just of severa? Anyone wanna confirm, I got this 'amnesia whos my mom?' conv with severa, is it different for other folks?

Hmmm is it just me or are Morgan mom conv... 'generic' or is it just of severa? Anyone wanna confirm, I got this 'amnesia whos my mom?' conv with severa, is it different for other folks?

Morgan's mom (or dad) gets generic supports. Same with the other kids dads. They'll put some of the characters personality into some lines like Henry's laugh though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Morgan's mom (or dad) gets generic supports. Same with the other kids dads. They'll put some of the characters personality into some lines like Henry's laugh though.

I figured after a few of the conversations with the dads. They did personalize them like you said, but it was clear that someone like Lon'qu was out of his normal element.

aw, thanks for breaking the illusion. Would have been insane otherwise, but still lol. Oh well... my morgan is becoming INSANELY STRONG.

zroid

Banned
Ah, okay. That's always been something I have trouble remembering, and I get really anxious when I feel like I need to depend on that mechanic for some purpose but am not sure how it worked.

For a while I kept forgetting which of the two units moves to the adjacent space when you separate a pair, lol

Got me into trouble once or twice ><

Out of ten unique streetpasses I got in the last two days, 6 were playing Fire Emblem. (I also got that achievement)

In a lecture today at school, a guy two rows in front of me was playing it during class, too. Not proof of anything, but I think it is doing well.

That's awesome

aw, thanks for breaking the illusion. Would have been insane otherwise, but still lol. Oh well... my morgan is becoming INSANELY STRONG.

If Donnel is Battlefield Jesus, then Morgan is god.

and yet enemies flock to fight him...only to die very quickly.

Also his support with Owain is the greatest bromance ever.

Korosenai

A question about second seals.

Say for example I wantt to use a second seal on Panne who is a taguel. Later on, if I want to, could I change her back to a taguel?

Yokai

So I'm on chapter 20, no spoilers, but I was wondering if these missions are supposed to be as hard as they seem. I've been trying to play classic mode as much as possible in a legitimate way, but recently I've found it hard not to lose 5 characters in one mission and feel comfortable moving on. I'll just do some quick character highlighting:

Who I've Lost:
Gregor - (Died the moment I got him. lol)
Stahl - ( Died at the Twins Hideout. He was basically a weaker fredrick it seemed, but I could be wrong. I'd like to try it again with him next play through)
Kellam - (Died at the Twins Hideout. Not sure what happened, someone crit'd him I think)
Henry - I killed him off due to his annoying dialogue. Seriously, hate that guy.
Donnel - (eyup. Died at Port Ferox doing a side random generated mission. I want to try him again next play through though.)

Who I've found useful:
Avatar - I switched class from tactician at around level 17 to theif and eventually went to assassin. Shit is op - I could probably solo most of the missions with only my avatar, but that's no fun so I've kind of stopped using her for every mission.
Lucina - Has been a very strong character who has a lot of support relations developed right when you obtain her -- definitely a worthy character and is very strong.
Chrom - Dur, he's solid and necessary for every mission, so thank god he can pull his own weight. Otherwise, I'd be very angry.
Virion - I honestly wasn't expecting him to be one of my most used characters, but he's legitimately powerful as long as he doesn't take a hit.
Sully - Powerful paladin it seems, but not entirely sure -- but definitely not one of my worse characters.
Cordelia and Sumia - Both are around the same, honestly. However, Cordelia seems to evade more frequently while Sumia seems to generally do more damage. I'm not sure if this is just luck or actually by design, but they're basically equals and pretty decent.
Olivia - I'm not sure if this is by design either, but Olivia always makes a good pair unit. Even at lowest support, her buffs seem stronger than others. I haven't changed her class since I got her, but after getting a dancing skill (there has to be atleast 1), I may consider changing her to a thief or archer or something.
Miriel - All around powerful unit. I have her as a dark knight so she can take damage and also hurt hard with magic. Definitely the best mage in the game by far -- I'm not sure if Ricken gets better by the time he's high enough to get some skills, but I honestly feel like none of the mages even come close.

Who I consider mixed:
Lon'qu - He seems very good at the start, but as of recent he doesn't seem to compare both in terms of damage and defense. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but by the time I got to chapter 17, he seemed to not even compare to Chrom or Lucina. Hell, even Say'ri is a better character it seems. I'm not sure what happened, maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Cynthia - Goes from being amazing one second and gets one shot'd another. Has been the cause of many resets due to how much I want to see her support dialogue. :[
Nowi / Panne - I know they're different characters, but they have similarities in terms of the item they equip. Perhaps this is an issue on my end, but considering they never get a new piece of equipment, how exactly are they supposed to be viable toward the end of the game? Am I intended to change their class?
Anna - Does anybody know if this character is really good or what? I tried playing her and at first she was on par but eventually lost her place.
Fredrick - Ugh, for someone who has high defense, he really seems to take a large amount of damage. Why?!

The rest: I probably left a few useful characters out, but for the most part, many of the not-above-mentioned characters feel weak. There's a few characters I'm missing too, but that's another story.

So, with all of that out of the way, I have a few questions for the Fire Emblem experts / people who have beaten this game already. None of these will be spoilers really, besides maybe a few names and what not.
1) At chapter 20, what type of equipment were you using? I have almost all silver gear and some rares but it doesn't really seem to be doing a scratch on any of the enemies. Perhaps I'm missing out on a store? Should I be using the SpotPass stores?
2) Is it better to change a character's class early, or is it better to let them get to level 20 or 30 before deciding to change? It seems like a lot of my best characters are the ones who have had a change in specialization.
3) What should I do about low power characters? What should I do if even my strong characters are having a hard time against a few units? The issue is that many of the chapter 19 / 20 fights have a lot of armored units who are supposed to be weak against magic, but it's hard to get any of the magic users close enough without getting one shot or killed. It's really an issue. Some characters can just bash through and do enough damage regardless of weaknesses, but that doesn't feel right and also takes longer.
4) Lastly, does optimize equipment really work in this game? I tried it a few times due to the rather repetitive resets I've been having recently and decided perhaps it would choose better items for me. The issue is that it seems to always stack a lot of the good items on the same character, and then pass items down to the rest.

Sorry, I know that's probably a lot of text -- the game has been very fun and good despite some difficulty issues I've been having recently. I played the original fire emblem on GBA, which seems harder, yet this is the first time I ever got THIS far in a fire emblem game and really got involved in the plot. This game really sold me on the universe much more than the first GBA title (was it sacred stones?) did. And that's saying a lot, because I love the original as well!

ohlawd

A question about second seals.

Say for example I wantt to use a second seal on Panne who is a taguel. Later on, if I want to, could I change her back to a taguel?

Yes, you'll never lose the ability to get units back to their original classes.
She just has to be lvl 10 in her basic classes to change back to a Taguel and any level if she was in a promoted class.

Anteo

And is over. What an amazing game. GOTY material for sure. Donnel is a fucking beast, I went back to do the last chapter again and send him and his wife directly to the boss, and he destroyed all the enemies around. I just had to defend with everyone else.

Well time to go for the paraloges, though they are going to be easy now. I can't wait for the extra hard DLC.

Edit: My time was 31:43 (49:25)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom