• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prax

*SpotPass DLC Spoiler*

Walhart and Yen'fay are pretty hunky. My Robin would be all over them if he could be.

MAYBE.. but...
They will be out of the running if they are mentally deficient lol. I am already wary since they are former villains and come from the future.. I don't really want to end up with a future time paradox relationship lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A couple of random questions:

How does the post-game support viewer work? I'm trying to basically keep my options open by having a save point where all the characters are pre-S-rank in their supports, but I'm wondering how the game actually saves support conversations for the viewer. After you finish the game, can you load an old save and do the other conversations and have those conversations saved in the viewer? Or is the support viewer tied to the save that you use to finish the game?

Also, I'm at the point where I'm not sure what to do with some of my characters. What should you do with Chrom, Lucina, Lissa and Mirabel after you get their Master class skills?

I'm also at the point the point where I'm not sure what to do with MU. I went thief to get lockpick and the move +1, then when to Dark Flier to get galeforce, but what should I go for next? My STR is slightly higher than my MAG by a few points at the moment, so I'm not sure what I should go for right now.

OK, Donny pros: my Donny is now a level 10 mercenary - promote now, or wait?

The underdog skill isn't really that great in the long-run. You can promote now if you want. The only reason to wait is if you want that skill.

Edit: Ah, I misread your post. I'd keep leveling for a bit unless you are eager to get the skills from the Hero class. Those quick level ups are worth it IMO.

GeekyDad

I'm gonna advise against that. All the talk of re-classing and promoting was confusing, but after actual application, I wish I hadn't promoted him (or anyone else) straight away at level 10. You seem to gain experience slower as a promoted unit. I say, max his tier-1 out (level 20) and perhaps consider re-classing if there are any other skills you want before promoting.

I'm gonna advise against that. All the talk of re-classing and promoting was confusing, but after actual application, I wish I hadn't promoted him (or anyone else) straight away at level 10. You seem to gain experience slower as a promoted unit. I say, max his tier-1 out (level 20) and perhaps consider re-classing if there are any other skills you want before promoting.
In general I'd agree with this but I think Donnel might be one of the few exceptions. In my experience he was very difficult to level as a villager simply because of how weak he was, but once he became a mercenary it was pretty easy to get him involved and he started leveling much more quickly for me (not in terms of his rate of EXP gains, just due to his more involved role). Either way works, though.

EDIT: Oh, he's a level 10 Mercenary. Whoops... :p

Yeah, I'd say take him to 20.

Anteo

Agreed. I went for this: 15 villager -> 20 mercenary -> 20 hero
I hit the level cap on the very last chapter. Meanwhile other characters that were reclassed earlier and needed a second seal were leveling way too slow to get their second skill.

So I think I may have found my favorite character...

Owain.jpg

Vaike x Lissa OTP
Oh yeah.

Ha, ha. Yeah. I've got him S-ranked with "Marth" right now, and I just generally love his dialogue. He's also Fredrick's son, so gets a lot of Lunas.
Yes, same here on the S rank, it is a godlike combination. This screen isn't in battle either so his stats are even better when he's paired up. Astra + a 50% or more crit chance is a thing of beauty...

You're right about his dialogue too, it's so good. I can't decide which one I like better --- "Owain needs no aid!" or "My sword hand twitches!"

Draxal

Oh yeah.

Yes, same here on the S rank, it is a godlike combination. This screen isn't in battle either so his stats are even better when he's paired up. Astra + a 50% or more crit chance is a thing of beauty...

You're right about his dialogue too, it's so good. I can't decide which one I like better --- "Owain needs no aid!" or "My sword hand twitches!"

I got him s-ranked with Severa, it's easily the best romance in the game (that I've seen so far). And my favorite is "can't control".

Soulhouf

Question:
Why everyone here keep saying that you need to reclass Olivia and learn her skills to pass them to Lucina?
Lucina is a girl and can access her mother's classes so she can earn the skills herself right?

scy

Depends a bit on what you did for him as a Villager. I leveled to 30 as a Villager and, come Mercenary time, I had all his stats capped anyway ;_;

But, if you immediately jumped ship from Villager into Mercenary, I'd say to go ahead and take him to Level 20 as a Mercenary. You want those extra early stat gains if you can and not grinding them doesn't help you at all, really.

Question:
Why everyone here keep saying that you need to reclass Olivia and learn her skills to pass them to Lucina?
Lucina is a girl and can access her mother's classes so she can earn the skills herself right?

To
save some time having to grind Lucina in those other classes

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Can't wait for the Spotpass DLC.

Need my Walhart cuz he's a badass.

Walhart battle theme is awesome.

I like the music but the track names are terrible imo.

Draxal

Question:

Gonna have to do it for Inigo anyway

Soulhouf

To
save some time having to grind Lucina in those other classes

But that doesn't make sens, does it? If you want to use the child, leave the parent alone and you will save more time.
In my case I don't care at all about the children because they are completely out of place. What a stupid move story wise, seriously.

In my case I don't care at all about the children because they are completely out of place. What a stupid move story wise, seriously.
That's too bad, I think the children are one of the coolest and most unique parts of the game. The story conceit is a little out there sure, but since when has FE ever been about being grounded in reality?

Ken

Finished the game. Is there a way to enter the world post-credits and do stuff or do I have to start a new game.

I need to go back and make some kids. :(

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
You can do whatever you want after the credits with the same save. Can even replay the last map.

NeonZ

Wait... Luna can be activated out of Astra? I was testing (spotpass character) Karel and he seemed to be able to do that.

Are the paralogues supposed to be this hard?

The paralogues are the one aspect of this game I've found messy. They aren't really hard, and have some interesting concepts with the side missions going on in each one, but their order and balance is completely random. I remember finishing the first paralogue for a child character (IIRC, 5), and easily walking all over that. There were only a few promoted units that could be handled easily enough, but then in the very next one most of my units were getting killed in one turn by the all promoted enemies, aside from Donnel and Pr. Marth.

The paralogue right after it was basically impossible like that too. But then there were paralogues with much higher numbers that had opened at the same time which were very easily doable, even having non-promoted enemies, rather than just promoted ones (like the one for Sully's daughter and the desert village chapter).

I really wish their level curve had some kind of logic to it. I beat the entire Valm story before finishing the other paralogues, but that resulted in quite a few easy battles later alongside the few harder ones, without any kind of logic to it...

How? My only save goes back to before finishing the final mission/before end credits. Do I choose continue or new game from the main menu?

Well, it's basically that. The final mission and whatever you lost or got there isn't saved, but the game keeps track that you finished the game to unlock some extra features.

Soulhouf

That's too bad, I think the children are one of the coolest and most unique parts of the game. The story conceit is a little out there sure, but since when has FE ever been about being grounded in reality?

There is a bare minimum I can stand. Previous games (I played all the games from 4) didn't do that much stupid moves. In this one it kept happening from chapter to chapter until chapter 13 which was the overkill for me :(

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the game, it has so much quality. But it's a shame they ruined the story by wanting to give so much bullshit/excuses to explain some choices they did for the gameplay sake.

My problem is that the children and how supports work, exponentially increases the amount of grinding in the game. The sheer amount of grinding necessary to unlock much of the game's content keeps this down the tiers of Fire Emblem games.

My problem is that the children and how supports work, exponentially increases the amount of grinding in the game. The sheer amount of grinding necessary to unlock much of the game's content keeps this down the tiers of Fire Emblem games.
That seems kind of unfair to me though because you don't need to do all of that, especially in a single playthrough. I don't think the game is designed for you to see everything ideally, it's designed so that any two players' experiences will almost definitely be drastically different. That's a huge plus to me, personally.

Wait, wait...owain looks like that? This whole time I thought he was an old man, who is that a picture of on the wiki page then?

This changes everything, he looks awesome and I want to make him a super swordsman...should I not pair up lissa with Libra like I was planning to?

scy

But that doesn't make sens, does it? If you want to use the child, leave the parent alone and you will save more time.

The child's base stats are determined by the parent's bonus stats (e.g., their stats purely from level-ups); it's not 1:1 (It's [Child Base Stats + Father's Bonus Stats + Mother's Bonus Stats]/3) but it's nice to keep some of the work from the prior gen.

On top of that, having to go out of your way to level in an "unnecessary" class on the child may end up taking you through more levels. The goal of passing down skills is to basically remove an entire class (or two) from your class grind for skills.

That said, the bigger point is that
Olivia's son cannot get Galeforce unless it is passed down; passing Galeforce down to Lucina is merely out of convenience of not having to level as Dark Flier on Lucina

It takes about 4-6 maps, depending on the pairing, to get to S Rank Support. Think of it like previous Fire Emblems that had limited Support options. You don't have to be a crazy like me and get everyone to A Rank, just the one maxed out one. In that regard, Supports level faster here than they did in other games due to Pair Up.

Draxal

Eh, supports go insanely fast so grabbing the kids aren't an issue. I mean the option is to truly min/max but you can play the game perfectly fine without it. Fire Emblem is a character based game story wise and I honestly think this game has the best characters in a fire emblem as the parent/children interaction are probably the best in the series. (Maribelle/Brady is my fav).

Forkball

There are 25, totaling to around $90 in Japan or something.

Wow. I already bought the first three maps and planned on buying them all but I guess I will just pick which ones I want the most. My army is already obscenely large due to recruiting spotpass characters and trying to get all the kids.

Wow. I already bought the first three maps and planned on buying them all but I guess I will just pick which ones I want the most. My army is already obscenely large due to recruiting spotpass characters and trying to get all the kids.

I'm kind of surprised at the pricing. I bought the 3-pack for $4 (I think that's what it was), and they are normally $2 (or $2.50?) each. I feel like each of the first two missions wasn't even as long as a normal story mission. Am I missing something? If they keep it up like that and charge $90 for 40 missions or something that seems kind of ridiculous.

Also, really dumb question - you can't reclass someone to Dancer, right? Obviously you can't have more than one Dancer, since that would break the game (right?)

Also - I had my first Fire Emblem StreetPass yesterday! I destroyed him. I sort of hope my team beat him, but it seems more likely that you both win...

Is the battle to get sullys kid hard at all? Because she looks awesome and since I have donnel as the father I'm going to make her a monster

NeonZ

I'm kind of surprised at the pricing. I bought the 3-pack for $4 (I think that's what it was), and they are normally $2 (or $2.50?) each. I feel like each of the first two missions wasn't even as long as a normal story mission. Am I missing something? If they keep it up like that and charge $90 for 40 missions or something that seems kind of ridiculous.

Converting Japanese prices is somewhat misleading, they didn't have bundles there, and videogame stuff is rarely priced as a direct conversion from yens to dollars. Marth's map in Japan was 300 yen after the free period, so 3 dollars would be cheaper, the 2.50 price that will be used in the USA is cheaper, and 2 dollars with the pack results in an overall even smaller cost.

Anyway, the later maps are bigger and for higher level characters. They also have special bonuses, like new skills and two of them have new classes that can be given to any character (one for each gender). Some of the last few ones even have some new game mechanics/stage gimmicks. Micaiah's map, Champions of Yore 3, still will be fairly short and in that island again though, but it has twice as many enemies at least (+ a new skill for any character and Micaiah herself has a unique skill only shared with other DLC characters and a single story character who isn't even playable for a few weeks at least).

Also, really dumb question - you can't reclass someone to Dancer, right? Obviously you can't have more than one Dancer, since that would break the game (right?)

Yes, you can't. Not even Olivia's daughers inherit the class.

Is the battle to get sullys kid hard at all? Because she looks awesome and since I have donnel as the father I'm going to make her a monster

It's one of the easier ones. Many non-promoted enemies, with only a few promoted ones. The only problem is maybe the last wave of reinforcements, filled with only promoted enemies.

I hate to say this and I feel dirty for even thinking it but I would totally buy a "season pass" equivalent for this game that gave me access to all the DLC.

Hero

Was anyone else's Tiki a god unit by the end of the game? I paired her up with Anna for the stat boost from their A-Support together and her stats were already through the roof, she wound up taking entire waves of enemies by herself. It was glorious.

Roto13

So far, the North American prices for individual pieces of DLC have been lower than they were in Japan, plus North America gets bundles (well, bundle singular, but probably more later) that shave another 50 cents off the price of each piece of DLC.

Buying all of the DLC in North America won't be nearly as expensive as it was in Japan.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So far, the North American prices for individual pieces of DLC have been lower than they were in Japan, plus North America gets bundles (well, bundle singular, but probably more later) that shave another 50 cents off the price of each piece of DLC.

Buying all of the DLC in North America won't be nearly as expensive as it was in Japan.

It'll still be pretty expensive.

NeonZ

Was anyone else's Tiki a god unit by the end of the game? I paired her up with Anna for the stat boost from their A-Support together and her stats were already through the roof, she wound up taking entire waves of enemies by herself. It was glorious.

Yes, Tiki was pretty broken here. As soon as she joined she was basically a tank on hard, without any grinding. And later on I married her and Manakete Morgan was basically god-like. She makes the avatar feel kind of useless in comparison.

In my game, only Donnel and Prince Marth can even compare to Morgan right now.

Forkball

You got Roy and Marth though. ROY AND MARTH.

The first two DLC episodes are pretty short; they're kind of for beginners.

The third Champions of Yore map has double the enemies (20), while the number of enemies is even higher in the other "packs" (30 for the first 2 maps and 50 for the 3rd map).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom