• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Could someone explain the concept of internal level to me? I understand that it's how the game keeps track of characters' experience/growth after promotion and reclassing, but I'm still not clear on how it's determined and what your difficulty setting does to impact it.

Hooray, I still have it to copy/paste!

I see it was settled anyway but I had this post typed up anyhow so I'll go through with it!

Basically, Internal Level will increment based off the following formula:

(Current Level - 1) / 2, rounded down.

"Current Level" is merely your displayed level + 20 if Promoted (e.g., a Level 20 Mercenary is a Level 20 unit; a Level 20 Hero is a Level 40 unit).

Internal Level goes up every time you Second Seal up to a cap:

Normal: 20.
Hard: 30.
Lunatic: 50.

What this is used for is to determine your EXP Gains, nothing more, nothing less. So what this ends up meaning is:

Actual Level (for EXP purposes) = Current Level + Internal Level

Again, this is only for EXP purposes. Nothing will change about your Stat Growths, Stat Caps, or anything from this. Hell, even Level related skills (e.g., Underdog) still use your Current Level.

Thanks, I guess ill just stick with my plan of aptitude since counter doesn't seem like a big deal. Anything special to pass down from Sully's side?

Not really. Sully cannot pass on Galeforce due to no Dark Flier but Donnel being the dad gives the child the option. So, really, just pass on some Promoted skill you got for Sully so the kid doesn't have to grind in that class. I like Deliverer (Griffon Rider) or one of the weapon breaker skills (Wyvern Lord, Griffon Rider) or Luna (Great Knight).

If there are 17 pieces of DLC and you can get them each for $2 from bundles (which might not be the case), that's $34 for all of the DLC. Minus $2 if you buy the game while the first piece is free.

The first, second, and third DLC were 300, 250, and 300 yen in Japan and they're all $2.50 each (well, I'm making that assumption for the third one) so it's not much of a stretch to assume that all similarly priced DLC in Japan will cost $2.50 in North America, or $2.00 in a bundle.

But five of the maps were 400 yen. So maybe some of them will be a bit more expensive? I don't expect anything to be more than $3.00.

Anyway, speculayshunz

I wouldn't mind $2-$3 for maps with unique items, a new class, new skills, etc. I was just thinking $2 a pop seems steep if the maps continue to be like the first two, which were quick and super easy and didn't add a whole lot.

If there are 17 pieces of DLC and you can get them each for $2 from bundles (which might not be the case), that's $34 for all of the DLC. Minus $2 if you buy the game while the first piece is free.

The first, second, and third DLC were 300, 250, and 300 yen in Japan and they're all $2.50 each (well, I'm making that assumption for the third one) so it's not much of a stretch to assume that all similarly priced DLC in Japan will cost $2.50 in North America, or $2.00 in a bundle.

But five of the maps were 400 yen. So maybe some of them will be a bit more expensive? I don't expect anything to be more than $3.00.

Anyway, speculayshunz

I'd hope that all of the DLC is priced the same. Except the ____ of Bonds one, seeing how those are cheaper in Japan than the rest I hope they'd be $2 for themselves and $3.50 in a pack or something, with the first one being only $1 for a time like in Japan.

My Fire Emblem experience has currently devolved into spending ten minutes figuring out a strategy, switching around inventory items, and preparing to assault one of the many paralogues I have open to me, only to have one of my units catch an unlucky break and die within two or three turns forcing me to start all over again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A couple of random questions:

How does the post-game support viewer work? I'm trying to basically keep my options open by having a save point where all the characters are pre-S-rank in their supports, but I'm wondering how the game actually saves support conversations for the viewer. After you finish the game, can you load an old save and do the other conversations and have those conversations saved in the viewer? Or is the support viewer tied to the save that you use to finish the game?

Also, I'm at the point where I'm not sure what to do with some of my characters. What should you do with Chrom, Lucina, Lissa and Mirabel after you get their Master class skills?

I'm also at the point the point where I'm not sure what to do with MU. I went thief to get lockpick and the move +1, then when to Dark Flier to get galeforce, but what should I go for next? My STR is slightly higher than my MAG by a few points at the moment, so I'm not sure what I should go for right now.
Just quoting to see if someone can answer my earlier questions!

Mr. Fix

How does the post-game support viewer work? I'm trying to basically keep my options open by having a save point where all the characters are pre-S-rank in their supports, but I'm wondering how the game actually saves support conversations for the viewer. After you finish the game, can you load an old save and do the other conversations and have those conversations saved in the viewer? Or is the support viewer tied to the save that you use to finish the game?

Also, I'm at the point where I'm not sure what to do with some of my characters. What should you do with Chrom, Lucina, Lissa and Mirabel after you get their Master class skills?

I'm also at the point the point where I'm not sure what to do with MU. I went thief to get lockpick and the move +1, then when to Dark Flier to get galeforce, but what should I go for next? My STR is slightly higher than my MAG by a few points at the moment, so I'm not sure what I should go for right now.

All you need to do to save the S-rank support logs is save on a different slot. You can go back to the previous file, view another S-rank log, and save over it and it'll still keep. So yeah, it's possible to get them all in 2 playthroughs, 1 for each of the Avatar's gender.

At that point, you're free to pursue other classes' skills through a Change Seal. Try and figure out which skills you want from their class options.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/skills.html

As for your MU, I'd go for Astra. All you have to do is use a Change Seal on her to send her directly into a Swordmaster (assuming she's a level 15 Dark Flier). You'll get it instantly. Did you get the Grandmaster's Ignis skill? That's alright as well.

massoluk

Banned
My Fire Emblem experience has currently devolved into spending ten minutes figuring out a strategy, switching around inventory items, and preparing to assault one of the many paralogues I have open to me, only to have one of my units catch an unlucky break and die within two or three turns forcing me to start all over again.

Yeah, makes no mistake committed people, paralogues aren't some cakewalk, prepare to be crushed if you aren't fielding promoted characters.

Chrom

Anyway, speculayshunz

There were 25 different pieces of DLC released for the Japanese game, actually. I doubt you'd be paying any less than $60 if you bought all of them.

Pogonip

Neo Member
I got my bundle last Tuesday, and beat it last night! The Final chapter was awesome, almost as great as FE7's final chapter. The music really was the best.

Now I'm going to start a Hard/Classic file, although I'm unsure if I should go for a Female MU this time or do another playthrough with a male MU. Any significant dialogue changes? Any good supports with Female MU (also, who is a good partner)? I have no idea what I really want to do this next playthrough except making sure I pair as many people up as possible.

Also, questions about the main plot *SPOILERS*
The "Evil MU"... I kinda got that he/she was from the ruined future, and the whole premonition chapter happened in the ruined timeline, but what happened that made them kill Chrom in the premonition chapter? It doesn't really explain; Was the MU already evil, or was he/she being controlled by Validar/Grima? And when he/she goes back into the past to the normal timeline, are they basically Grima and the original MU from the ruined timeline basically "dead", and their body is just being used as a vessel? I had trouble following this whole evil MU/Grima plot, but I guess that's my fault, since I didn't pay much attention the story until near the very end.

Also, after the endgame, did the child characters go back to their own time? Kinda seems pointless since that ruined timeline is basically the apocalypse.

womp

Donnel is really annoying me...I am sure this has been answered but this thread is moving too fast for me to keep searching...is he worth the effort? :p

Yeah, makes no mistake committed people, paralogues aren't some cakewalk, prepare to be crushed if you aren't fielding promoted characters.

Yes. It took Donnel AND his son to duo some of the Paralogues. Some of the Paralogues are so intense that even Donnel has a difficult time soloing them.

Donnel is really annoying me...I am sure this has been answered but this thread is moving too fast for me to keep searching...is he worth the effort? :p
Yes. His growth rates ensure that he will be one of your best characters from the mid-game forward if you stick with him. It's tough for awhile but just try pairing him with a strong unit and you'll get there eventually.

I've noticed on Hard that it seems like the AI gets more lucky breaks than usual. In previous Fire Emblems, you go into a battle with an AI having a less than 50% chance of hitting you, and you usually come out clean. This time around, I've been sustaining serious wounds from 30%-40% chances on a regular basis. A lot of times I think "If I can just kill this guy, I'll be okay, and he only has a 36% chance to hit." And then my guy whiffs on a 90% chance and he hits on his 36% and then it's all downhill from there.

Mr. Fix

I got my bundle last Tuesday, and beat it last night! The Final chapter was awesome, almost as great as FE7's final chapter. The music really was the best.

Now I'm going to start a Hard/Classic file, although I'm unsure if I should go for a Female MU this time or do another playthrough with a male MU. Any significant dialogue changes? Any good supports with Female MU (also, who is a good partner)? I have no idea what I really want to do this next playthrough except making sure I pair as many people up as possible.

The "Evil MU"... I kinda got that he/she was from the ruined future, and the whole premonition chapter happened in the ruined timeline, but what happened that made them kill Chrom in the premonition chapter? It doesn't really explain; Was the MU already evil, or was he/she being controlled by Validar/Grima? And when he/she goes back into the past to the normal timeline, are they basically Grima and the original MU from the ruined timeline basically "dead", and their body is just being used as a vessel? I had trouble following this whole evil MU/Grima plot, but I guess that's my fault, since I didn't pay much attention the story until near the very end.

Also, after the endgame, did the child characters go back to their own time? Kinda seems pointless since that ruined timeline is basically the apocalypse.

There are some differences in support conversations, specifically with Lon'qu and Chrom as a female MU. I haven't explored the other ones though. Also there's the male confession images/dialogue for the female MU.

I assume that in that timeline, the MU was taken over/manipulated by Grima/Validar easily.

I'm not sure about the kids, actually. There's a DLC set that covers what happens in the future, but I don't know whether or not it's the same timeline that the kids came from.

scy

He has really good growths but a few negative stat caps (that is, his stat cap in a given class is less than what it should be). He's awful at the start, amazing for the rest of the game, and then "falls off" only if you care about min/maxing.

Also, I don't think he has amazing class options but that's just me :x

chrono01

With Donnel, there's no such thing as a "miss".

He's so powerful, even if his weapon were to avoid contact with the enemy [unlikely, but it CAN happen], the sheer force created from the weapon/wind resistance would be enough to rip a man to shreds.

He has really good growths but a few negative stat caps (that is, his stat cap in a given class is less than what it should be). He's awful at the start, amazing for the rest of the game, and then "falls off" only if you care about min/maxing.

Having Hero twice doesn't help.

Stat caps are fun and all but they don't really have any practical meaning do they? It might be worth mentioning in a Donnel discussion but for 99% of people who play this game it will never be a factor, I'd imagine.

And you're not a fan of the Hero class? That's always been one of my favorite classes in FE.

Moonlight

Banned
Donnel has hit level 20 as a Hero, I could reclass him to a Villager, but I've met literally all of the stat caps for that class and I don't want to waste ten level ups. Is there any class I should reclass him into?

Donnel has hit level 20 as a Hero, I could reclass him to a Villager, but I've met literally all of the stat caps for that class and I don't want to waste ten level ups. Is there any class I should reclass him into?

He could be a Warrior, a Bow Knight or another Hero!

scy

Having Hero twice doesn't help.

Fighter AND Mercenary! Means he ge--oh, okay ;_;

Stat caps are fun and all but they don't really have any practical meaning do they? It might be worth mentioning in a Donnel discussion but for 99% of people who play this game it will never be a factor, I'd imagine.

And you're not a fan of the Hero class? That's always been one of my favorite classes in FE.

Oh no, Hero is good, though I prefer all the Fliers in general. It's more that "He has Hero and then ... ... ... well, he has Hero."

Edit: Then again, Hero is a perfectly fine final class. It's more that he has limited skill options because he has pretty much just Hero.

And, yeah, for practically everyone the stat caps are a non-issue. Though, to be honest, every parent is pretty bad compared to their children anyway.

Once I got to that point I reclassed him to a Warrior just for the heck of it. Give him a forged Killer Axe and with Armsthrift equipped you'll have something close to a 100% chance of never losing a use on it. It's... unfair.

Oh no, Hero is good, though I prefer all the Fliers in general. It's more that "He has Hero and then ... ... ... well, he has Hero."

And, yeah, for practically everyone the stat caps are a non-issue. Though, to be honest, every parent is pretty bad compared to their children anyway.
Yeah, I gotcha. I've always liked most of the classes in FE games compared to other SRPG's. Compared with something like Tactics Ogre where Archers are about five times better than almost any other class FE classes are pretty well balanced.

Mupod

he's got fighter (turns into pegasus knight for girls) AND mercenary. Which combined with his high luck makes him perfect breeding material if you're like me and need Gale Force and Armsthrift + 50 luck on everybody. The latter being important for using heavily forged superweapons late game.

By the time he hits his stat caps he's already going to have given me an unstoppable hellspawn. Just not sure who I'll pair him with in my lunatic run, probably Sully.

Edit: Then again, Hero is a perfectly fine final class. It's more that he has limited skill options because he has pretty much just Hero.

Pretty much, the biggest thing he can pass down is the Pegasus Knight class to the girl children who normally can't learn it. Skillwise it is pretty much Aptitude or Counter that he can pass down that the female child normally wouldn't learn by herself.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Yes yes yes.

+20% to his growth rates in every stat makes him a god.

I really need to take pic of my Hero Donnel.

mVWsfJK.png

Chrom

Btw. is there already an "official" consent whether FE:A uses one or two random numbers to determine hits/misses?

I don't believe it's been directly confirmed, but I think it's just a general assumption that Awakening uses the 2 RN system, since no game has used the 1 RN system since Thracia 776.

Anteo

Just like in the game's timeline, that last orb Validar shoot got control over MU, and in that timeline he didn't have the confidence to stop it. On the other hand, in this timeline the ritual was ruined by MU plan to give Validar an incomplete Fire Emblem, thus giving him less power to control him.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I've noticed on Hard that it seems like the AI gets more lucky breaks than usual. In previous Fire Emblems, you go into a battle with an AI having a less than 50% chance of hitting you, and you usually come out clean. This time around, I've been sustaining serious wounds from 30%-40% chances on a regular basis. A lot of times I think "If I can just kill this guy, I'll be okay, and he only has a 36% chance to hit." And then my guy whiffs on a 90% chance and he hits on his 36% and then it's all downhill from there.

I swear, in FE7, I could send a high-STR matthew into a swarm of 10 enemies, they'd all have a 33% chance of hitting him, and he'd mow all of them down. wave after wave of enemy would walk up to him, engage, miss, and die.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
All you need to do to save the S-rank support logs is save on a different slot. You can go back to the previous file, view another S-rank log, and save over it and it'll still keep. So yeah, it's possible to get them all in 2 playthroughs, 1 for each of the Avatar's gender.
Does the game keep track of completed S-ranks even before the game is complete? Or do I need to unlock the viewer first before going back and looking at all the support conversations?

Also, is there a point where you can't get the children characters anymore? I almost want to get the viewer first before worrying about all the possibilities when it comes to the children supports...

At that point, you're free to pursue other classes' skills through a Change Seal. Try and figure out which skills you want from their class options.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/skills.html
Are there any that you would recommend? Should Lissa and Mirabel stay as healers? Seems like I should go for some fighting skills for the two Lords though.

As for your MU, I'd go for Astra. All you have to do is use a Change Seal on her to send her directly into a Swordmaster (assuming she's a level 15 Dark Flier). You'll get it instantly. Did you get the Grandmaster's Ignis skill? That's alright as well.
Cheers. :)

scy

he's got fighter (turns into pegasus knight for girls) AND mercenary. Which combined with his high luck makes him perfect breeding material if you're like me and need Gale Force and Armsthrift + 50 luck on everybody. The latter being important for using heavily forged superweapons late game..

Fighter turning into Pegasus Knight isn't that relevant for evaluating Donnel himself, in my opinion. But, yes, he's one of two (three counting Male Avatar) people that can pass down Pegasus Knight for those who normally do not have access to it (Sully, Nowi, and Tharja).

As for his high luck, he'll pass on +3 Luck Stat Cap which is nice, as well as his really good Luck Aptitude and a nice bonus to their starting Luck.

Don't get me wrong, I like Donnel and I find he has some of the better support conversations too. I'm just saying he's not quite that amazing himself as a unit when we're looking at maxing out a character. But, again, this is true for basically every parent anyway.

Pretty much, the biggest thing he can pass down is the Pegasus Knight class to the girl children who normally can't learn it. Skillwise it is pretty much Aptitude or Counter that he can pass down that the female child normally wouldn't learn by herself.

Yup ;_;

Are there any that you would recommend? Should Lissa and Mirabel stay as healers? Seems like I should go for some fighting skills for the two Lords though.

If given the option, always take Dark Flier for Galeforce :x If for no other reason than to pass it to the children eventually.

Fighter turning into Pegasus Knight isn't that relevant for evaluating Donnel himself, in my opinion. But, yes, he's one of two (three counting Male Avatar) people that can pass down Pegasus Knight for those who normally do not have access to it (Sully, Nowi, and Tharja).

Pretty silly that Vaike can't pass down the Pegasus Knight class even though he's a Fighter as that's the general trend of passing down the class. Hell, he can't even pass down Troubadour either.

scy

Pretty silly that Vaike can't pass down the Pegasus Knight class even though he's a Fighter as that's the general trend of passing down the class. Hell, he can't even pass down Troubadour either.

Fighter -> Pegasus Knight
Fighter, Villager -> Pegasus Knight (and Troubadour!)
Fighter, Barbarian -> Knight (and Mercenary)!

...wait, what.

So odd since the other Barbarian options yield Troubadour. Vaike so forgetful he passes on the wrong fucking classes ;_;

So if I wanted owain to be an awesome swordmaster, Libra probably isn't the best person to pair lissa with, correct? I still have my MU, Fred, Gregor, Virion, Ricken, Henry to pair off with, who would be best?

Henry x Nowi is pretty cute.

A little creepy on both sides, Henry in general and Nowi's obliviousness but I guess at least the reason why they hook up was pretty cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom