• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lusankya

I... don't think you're using that word properly...
I think consensus is the word you want

But in any case, 2 RNs has been the norm starting with the GBA era.

Yes, of course. I knew the German word (Konsens) and looked up "consens" on leo.dict. It redirected me to "consent" and the German translation seemed fine to me. Now I feel quite stupid, because more than often I saw "consensus" in English texts. :(

At least I won't make this mistake again.

I wished they would go back and use 1 RN for hits/misses again, actually during Shadow Dragon I always had the feeling that would be the case.

Alright, I might regret asking this, but what are everyone's favorite pairings?

In my game so far I've paired:

Chrom x Sumia
Sully x Killam
Virion x Cordelia
Gregor x Nowi
Vaike x Panne
Lissa x Ricken
Gaius x Tharja

All of them worked really well for me. I especially enjoyed Gaius/Tharja and Vaike/Panne, I think the worst pair was Lissa/Ricken but I couldn't really pair them with anyone else because they both look like children.

JZeMGiP.jpg

I can't unsee you as Vaike now.

The proper usage! :-o

Alright, I might regret asking this, but what are everyone's favorite pairing?

Without reaching the kids yet, my favorites would be.

Because of how heartwarming it is to see how much she loves you and basically willing to do anything to be with you. Plus, I'm a sucker for yandere's.

GaiusxNowi
This one was honestly surprising to me because I didn't think of how cute their support was going to be together. Definitely made me a fan of them because of it.

Lon'quxCordelia
One manages to get over his fear over women because of her. The other finds a second person to fill her heart with love after not being allowed to win over the first.

Gaius x Panne. Nothing like winning over a lady's heart by getting stuck trying to climb up a giant tree full of fruit that tastes like candy and having her rescue you.

scy

So far I'd say Chrom x Sumia, Ricken x Maribelle and Stahl x Coredelia are natural. Even Virion x Sully fits in a funny way. I'm going to check out Panne x Gregor and Henry x Nowi based on what I've been reading her. No idea who is a good fit for Miriel besides Frederick who I don't use.

My plans:

Chrom x Sumia
Frederick x Panne (Primarily a stat one, tbh)
Virion x Cherche (Seems boring, actually)
Gregor x Maribelle (Because the idea of this pairing is hilarious to me)
Stahl x Olivia
Kellam x Sully (I don't particularly care ;_;)
Donnel x Nowi
Lon'qu x Cordelia
Gaius x Lissa (Subject to change, I just found their supports together adorable)

Miriel is undecided for the time being.

I'm basically support grinding to see which conversations I like the most though ;_;

Ya y'know I was thinking about going with Anna so maybe I'd get in her good books for this game, but I realized she's already been pretty darn generous with those dice rolls. And she doesn't have a kid. And Tharja seems to have the hots for me. So hrmmrrmrm....

I guess I can just rate the ones I did this playthrough:

Avatar x Lon'qu: The C through A levels were hilarious though it was quite a jump at the S rank.
Sumia x Chrom: It was ok, all about pies though.
Lissa x Stahl: Love over having an older brother. It was pretty nice though.
Olivia x Frederick: Wasn't bad. It was cute at least.
Maribelle x Valike: Somehow lead to gambling so whatever.
Sully x Donnel: Lack of romance really.
Cordelia x Ricken: Cute and didn't remind me that she was in love with Chrom til the end.
Cherche x Gregor: Haven't reached the S rank yet, but it was pretty good with his backstory and Minerva.
Panne x Virion: Provided backstory to Virion of all people, but eh.
Miriel x Kellam: Started pretty funny, wasn't bad.
Nowi x Henry: Not bad, since one's playful and another is cheerfully creepy but did like it in the end.
Tharja x Gaius: Amusing supports.

Gartooth

I paired Gaius with Cherche and that was one of my favorite pairings in the game. Heck Gaius for the sounds of it has great support convos with a lot of party members, and overall he probably is one of my favorite characters in the game from a personality standpoint.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Damn. Chapter 10 was easy (and really cool with the rain and music), but Chapter 11 was quite difficult. Those Sages got lucky against my weaker dudes, had to reset a lot.

Now I'm after the time-skip...I guess things are about to pick up, yes?

Also, what the fuck do the male villagers say when you visit them? It sounds like "Thunder Racer!"

Doorman

Pff, people talking about best supports in the game and nobody even mentions Kellam?!

Oh, wait...
is that the joke?
Not very far into it yet, but I'm pairing Kellam with Olivia and their C support was amusing at the very least.

A few other noteworthy pairings of mine so far...
Stahl x Miriel: The build-up of the supports was really entertaining...but the proposal felt kind of cheesy and flat to me.
Gaius x Sumia: Did it more out of process of elimination for getting Sumia a partner, but it's kind of cute. The way the S conversation wound up kind of gave me a Colm/Neimi vibe from FE8, which is fine with me.
Libra x Nowi: Only up to B level so far, but surprisingly simultaneously depressing and very sweet. Nowi pledging to help him find his heart struck a chord with me, especially for that only being a C-level conversation.
Virion x Tharja: Also only up to B, but very funny. I figured that Tharja having "the best body in the army," who better to appreciate that than the man who seems to be after every woman possible?

scy

"Now strap yourself in, and get ready to ride the flavor stallion!"

This game confuses me.

So many pies in this game.

Drago

I must say, really glad there's a casual mode in this game. I'm having a lot more fun not having to worry every single turn about whether someone will die or not.

It's good for beginners, I guess. Whenever I finally play my copy of FE7 I'm sure to be in for a rude awakening...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Most of Tharja's and Kellam's have been funny. Gauis has some good ones too (I like his nicknames). Also laughed at Sumia x Lucinda's shopping escapades, but I'm only a B rank there (I'm assuming this is only if Sumia is her mother). Cherche x Lon'qu has been decent in a "filling out the backstory way." Speaking of Cherche, male avatar+her has a funnyish one where you try to find mate for Cherche's wyvern. That's all I can think of offhand.

Chrom

Why does Emmeryn's Valentine's Day card have a backdrop of Walhart on it? That doesn't make any sense to me.

GeekyDad

So far I'd say Chrom x Sumia, Ricken x Maribelle and Stahl x Coredelia are natural. Even Virion x Sully fits in a funny way. I'm going to check out Panne x Gregor and Henry x Nowi based on what I've been reading her. No idea who is a good fit for Miriel besides Frederick who I don't use.

Probably Donnel and MU. MU is currently a Dark Knight focused on magic, and surprisingly, her Def stat is better than Donnel's. That along with her high Res allow me to use either to march through gobs of enemies unscathed. Plus, they always get in support guards and attacks pretty much 100 percent of the time.

this is the best track in the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2hLsY2Jx60

I'm crying

it's so flawless

Not my personal favorite, but yeah, it's awesome. Never gets old.

Lissa has -2 STR, -1 SKL, +0 SPD, and +2 Luck as far as relevant stats are concerned (-1 DEF, +1 RES if you care on that front, I guess). Vaike is probably the best choice but I guess he's taken already for your file, eh?

Those units have:

Frederick - +2 STR, +2 SKL, -2 SPD, +0 Luck.
Gregor - +2 STR, +2 SKL, +0 SPD, -1 Luck.
Virion - +0 STR, +2 SKL, +2 SPD, -1 Luck.

And I'm skipping the Mages because :lol. Avatar would be based off your Asset/Flaw choice.

Honestly, pick who you like, these differences here are pretty minor. Like 1 or 2 points to a stat cap sort of thing and you're having to deal with Lissa already kind of giving bad stat caps anyway ;_;

Edit: Hopefully this doesn't get lost (lol that super late edit~) but Gregor gets Mercenary/Hero passed down to Owain so something to keep in mind for class options. Virion will net you Dark Knight as an option for Lifetaker as well.

Compared to Miriel, he trades off MAG, SKL, SPD growths for HP and Luck. But, no, not quite a Donnel situation :x

You know what, Vaike actually isn't taken. Maybe I'll do that then, but Gregor is also interesting. I was planning on pairing Vaike and Cherche, so if I don't do that, anyone else good for Cherche?

Pff, people talking about best supports in the game and nobody even mentions Kellam?!

Oh, wait...
is that the joke?
Not very far into it yet, but I'm pairing Kellam with Olivia and their C support was amusing at the very least.

Simple answer (for me), Kellam died around chapter 8... and his dying words rang true, not a single person noticed him being gone. Except maybe Stahl who had a slight friendship with him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Another random question - after War Cleric, what should Libra become? I'm thinking Dark Knight, mostly because there doesn't seem to be any other options.

I wish I could take more than 8 or 9 guys on the battlefield. I've been spoiled by PoR and RD where it felt like my nobody was left at the barracks.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

Cordelia x Kincaido

As far as pairings go, I think Donnel's the best fit with Nowi. It doesn't feel as... questionable as some other pairings for her, and the content of the actual support is very sweet. They're also very powerful together when paired up.

It also has the upshot of turning Nah into an absolute, game-crushing monster and is one of only two ways for Nah to get Pegasus Knight and thus Galeforce.

Got it and I'm already starting to stress out over what's to come. I don't think I'm OCD, but this game brings that out of me. So a few more questions.

1. Is there anybody you absolutely SHOULDN'T use? I vowed to not use any sort of character FAQ for this game, but I can already imagine the team I make being ass.
2. Do unlocking the side missions require you to do obscure things you possibly couldn't have known like beat a chapter in 10 turns or something?

Doorman

Alright...time to step away and take a break for a little while...

Stupid chapter 12, I don't have enough defensive tanks to withstand a constant stream of heavy lancemen. I'm not usually a fan of the "mash everyone into a tiny defensive formation and sit there until all the enemies run into you" strategy, but any time I try to push outward at all I wind up making some stupid blunder.

Got it and I'm already starting to stress out over what's to come. I don't think I'm OCD, but this game brings that out of me. So a few more questions.

1. Is there anybody you absolutely SHOULDN'T use? I vowed to not use any sort of FAQ for this game, but I can already imagine the team I make being ass.
2. Do unlocking the side missions require you to do obscure things you possibly couldn't have known like beat a chapter in 10 turns or something?

1. You should be fine using whoever, but note that you shouldn't rely on Frederick, as he starts the game already in an advanced class, so while he seems awesome, he's really just going to "steal" experience from everyone else by being overpowered and not leveling quickly

2. The only thing you really have to look out for is talking to characters in battle, but they are always really obvious. If there is someone who randomly talks in a battle and has a portrait, they are probably a character you can convert. Other than that, sidequests open up just through playing and you don't have to do anything wacky in battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom