• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSR

Got it and I'm already starting to stress out over what's to come. I don't think I'm OCD, but this game brings that out of me. So a few more questions.

1. Is there anybody you absolutely SHOULDN'T use? I vowed to not use any sort of character FAQ for this game, but I can already imagine the team I make being ass.
2. Do unlocking the side missions require you to do obscure things you possibly couldn't have known like beat a chapter in 10 turns or something?

1. There's probably a few characters that'll take longer to get good than others, but nobody's truly horrible in this game, especially since there's infinite EXP/levels thanks to skirmishes/DLC. The only person to 'avoid' would be Frederick early on because he'll eat up all the EXP your other units could be getting.

2. Several of them are unlocked automatically when you finish certain chapters. The others are unlocked by having certain characters married (generally the females). I believe there'll be some late-game ones as free DLC later.

1. Is there anybody you absolutely SHOULDN'T use? I vowed to not use any sort of character FAQ for this game, but I can already imagine the team I make being ass.

Don't lean on Frederick too hard. He's an experienced, promoted character, so he's beast early on, but he'll get way less experience per kill. Once you unlock the ability to pair up (if you're playing on Normal and can't do so right away), then he's actually best used as the support character because he'll grant massive attack and defense bonuses and an amazing +1 movement to whoever he's paired with.

Beyond that, no, everyone in this game has the potential to become a beast. Watch the level ups, though, because the RNG can be a fickle lover, sometimes.

2. Do unlocking the side missions require you to do obscure things you possibly couldn't have known like beat a chapter in 10 turns or something?

No. The Paralogues unlock as you progress through the main plot, nothing more. The ones that recruit the kids obviously require you to, you know, ensure they'll be born
emot-v.gif
, but that's it.

vall03

As far as pairings go, I think Donnel's the best fit with Nowi. It doesn't feel as... questionable as some other pairings for her, and the content of the actual support is very sweet. They're also very powerful together when paired up.

It also has the upshot of turning Nah into an absolute, game-crushing monster and is one of only two ways for Nah to get Pegasus Knight and thus Galeforce.

I was thinking too on who to pair with Nowi, and Donnel quite fits with her. I guess I was looking for the 'youngest' person to pair her with. And thankfully, when I learned more about the skills each class have, I can't believe it was one of the best pairings in the game.

Moonlight

Banned
Alright, I might regret asking this, but what are everyone's favorite pairings?

So far I'd say Chrom x Sumia, Ricken x Maribelle and Stahl x Coredelia are natural. Even Virion x Sully fits in a funny way. I'm going to check out Panne x Gregor and Henry x Nowi based on what I've been reading her. No idea who is a good fit for Miriel besides Frederick who I don't use.
Severa and Owain is just about the cutest support conversations I've encountered thus far.

scy

You know what, Vaike actually isn't taken. Maybe I'll do that then, but Gregor is also interesting. I was planning on pairing Vaike and Cherche, so if I don't do that, anyone else good for Cherche?

Stahl gets Swordmaster and has decent stats (basically subs +1 STR from what Vaike would give for +2 DEF) as well as Bowbreaker from Bow Knight. I honestly don't know as Cherche is sitting here for me right now kind of "stuck" with Virion until I figure something else out ;_;

As far as pairings go, I think Donnel's the best fit with Nowi. It doesn't feel as... questionable as some other pairings for her, and the content of the actual support is very sweet. They're also very powerful together when paired up.

It also has the upshot of turning Nah into an absolute, game-crushing monster and is one of only two ways for Nah to get Pegasus Knight and thus Galeforce.

I've done a lot of Donnel's supports and he seems to have the most where it makes sense that they actually grow close up to the marriage. Compare this to some of the others where it just "suddenly pie MARRIED."

1. You should be fine using whoever, but note that you shouldn't rely on Frederick, as he starts the game already in an advanced class, so while he seems awesome, he's really just going to "steal" experience from everyone else by being overpowered and not leveling quickly

Don't lean on Frederick too hard. He's an experienced, promoted character, so he's beast early on, but he'll get way less experience per kill. Once you unlock the ability to pair up (if you're playing on Normal and can't do so right away), then he's actually best used as the support character because he'll grant massive attack and defense bonuses and an amazing +1 movement to whoever he's paired with.

Beyond that, no, everyone in this game has the potential to become a beast. Watch the level ups, though, because the RNG can be a fickle lover, sometimes.

Oh no, I understand pre-promoted classes are generally not good in the long run. I just mean beyond that. Didn't even think about the bonuses when pairing up though.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. Seems like this is more lenient than other games in the series in terms of missables and poor units.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

Even Libra, who's also prepromoted?

Anteo

Oh no, I understand pre-promoted classes are generally not good in the long run. I just mean beyond that. Didn't even think about the bonuses when pairing up though.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. Seems like this is more lenient than other games in the series in terms of missables and poor units.

Not in the long run in this game. Frederick made it to my final chapter team, however I didn't use him at all in the first half of the game.

Edit:

Alright where are you getting these? I need to see these.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.447316545340342.104696.149152295156770&type=1

He also made it to my final chapter team. Great healer with good survavility.

Tremendously so. Don't sweat it, you can't fuck yourself over in Awakening.

I struggled to think of someone you get that's legitimately useless.

I dislike Ricken, does that count?

Hell no, Ricken has been beasting his way through my game. Especially once he became a Dark Knight, he became a wrecking ball, doubly so once he and Lissa got really close.

If anyone struggled for me, it was Maribelle, because she refused to get some magic growths early on. It took taking her to Mage and then Sage to make her turn out good (though she turned out to be an A-lister because she was one of my few resistance tanks).

scy

I just meant that I dislike Ricken as a character. He does make for a good Dark Knight though since he gets bulkier than your average Mage.

...for some reason.

The trick with Libra is that he's generally got the stats and growths to back up his pre-promote status - he's much more like a character who naturally promoted at 20 (while Fred has stats like he promoted a bit early). Libra can be great, especially if Lissa and Maribelle just aren't shaking out for you somehow. Just make sure not to feed him too many unpromoted kills (though, conveniently, you start facing promoted enemies very soon after acquiring him!)

Roto13

Yeah, Libra feels like he would have been an unpromoted character if you met him a few chapters earlier. By the time you meet him, you probably have a few class changed/promoted units of your own.

So I just got Nah. Donnell is her dada and the plan was to pass on aptitude.

I forgot that the lowest skill was transferred. So I dropped out of the mission to fix that.

Went back in and my avatar got one shot by the last enemy.

suuuucks

So I do it again and beat it...

only to find out that I was playing on an old save...so aptitude did not get transferred.

Armsthrift isn't too bad but still...

fuuuuuuck

I'm having a hard time deciding what class to make my MU. Its either the Sorcerer for the versatility of dark tomes or the maneuverability of a Dark Knight.

Giolon

How badly would I be screwing myself over by not leveling people's base classes to 20 before promoting w/ a Master Seal? I always liked the idea of promoting people sort of when it makes sense story-wise, rather than strictly min-maxing. If I want to promote Chrom to Great Lord and he's level 15, how bad will that make things for me later?

How badly would I be screwing myself over by not leveling people's base classes to 20 before promoting w/ a Master Seal? I always liked the idea of promoting people sort of when it makes sense story-wise, rather than strictly min-maxing. If I want to promote Chrom to Great Lord and he's level 15, how bad will that make things for me later?

The game has an infinite number of Second Seals so it actually doesn't matter at all.

You just made my day. =D I'm assuming they become something that I can grind for (either via cash or directly) later on?

Yeah they can be bought from shops later on in the game. I want to say the shop you can get them from at the earliest is located at the same place you recruit Lissa's kid.

I just watched the opening cinematic again for the first time since starting the game. It depicts Chrom and Sumia with a newborn. Does that make Sumia the canonical wife?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love Libra. They went overboard on making his voice feminine, and his supports have been boring so far aside from Tharja, but his 3D model is excellent and his VA delivers the little battle quotes really well.

Also he can take a ton of punishment, unlike Lissa.

I love Libra as well. I'm happy that at the point I got him, he fit into my team pretty snugly without having to grind him, and he's got the stats to back up being a War Monk (something I can't say about Lissa)

NeonZ

Why not just make Lissa a Sage? She has a custom model for that too, going along with her quotes about wanting to be like her sister, and it fits her stats better than war cleric.

Doorman

For whatever it's worth, I hadn't planned on Libra becoming a main member of my party thanks to my history of pre-promoted units in the past. However, right after I got Libra, I reclassed him back down to being a mage. He lost some stats during the step down obviously, but the growths that he's been getting from his new level-ups have been strong enough that, as a level 6 or 7 mage now he's basically comparable to what he was as a war monk, and is probably my strongest magic attacker outside of maybe the avatar. Once I promote him back up, he's probably gonna wreck shop.

Tunavi

Banned
So when you skip through an entire battle where the character levels up after, the frame rate for the stat raises is like 60 FPS, where its normally like 30. kinda odd.

Sora_N

I trained Donny and Sumia on the DLC level, low on money now so I gotta get back to the main story. Man they are beast after a few levels of good stat gains. :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, Libra feels like he would have been an unpromoted character if you met him a few chapters earlier. By the time you meet him, you probably have a few class changed/promoted units of your own.

Both times through, I only had Lissa promoted by the chapter. Libra feels like a power house on offense in that chapter, but can easily get overrun on defense. Never really gave him a shot on my team the first time through, but maybe this time..

I'm playing casual but I'm still doing my best not to let anyone die. Well here we go, 10 hours in, my first death at the end of a long map that would take a long time to replay. Will my records permanently display a big old "1 death" on it, or can I easily forget this ever happened?

Sora_N

So I'm playing Chapter 7, and twice I accidentally let an archer kill Cordelia...do Pegasus Knights become less vulnerable somehow against that?

Upgraded Sully to paladin and Miriel to sage, what's your take on these?

there are really no wrong answers it seems. If you really like characters, you are gonna want them to go through all classes to get cool skills and continue to upgrade their stats anyway. But yes, both paladins and sages are good classes on their own

Chrom

So I'm playing Chapter 7, and twice I accidentally let an archer kill Cordelia...do Pegasus Knights become less vulnerable somehow against that?

Not really, no. It's always their weakness and they have to deal with it.

However, in one of the later DLC episodes, you can get an item that teaches the Iote's Shield skill, which, when equipped, negates that effect for fliers.

there are really no wrong answers it seems. If you really like characters, you are gonna want them to go through all classes to get cool skills and continue to upgrade their stats anyway. But yes, both paladins and sages are good classes on their own
Still wondering if somebody uses Great Knights? I found them quite useless in Sacred Stones.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
The Iote's Shield skill won't even be out for like two months =(

Not really necessary though, but it's nice to have.

Javier

For those wondering, the extra damage on certain classes (Bows/Wind Magic on Fliers, Hammer/Armorslayer on Armored Units), is calculated as Triple Weapon Might (not Triple Damage or Triple Strength).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom