• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was expecting to be put back into the game after finishing it to be able to do post-game stuff, but I guess they want you to keep that last save instead.

Mupod

I'm gonna do that. However I was wondering should I keep leveling Donny in Villager? I noticed his level didn't show "MAX" when I hit 20.

Man I ask too many damn questions. :(

Ideally you should reclass him at 10, or 15 if you want Underdog for some reason (it sucks, but I understand wanting it anyways). For a normal non-child character (like say Chrom or Vaike) you're better off hanging out in the basic classes from 1-20 a couple times, since you gain levels faster that way. But Donnel will cap his basic class stats so damn fast you'll possibly start hitting a wall before you hit 20 in Mercenary. And Mercenary is what you should be in because Armsthrift with his luck is great.

Mupod

Just finished chapter 10 on Hard and I'm feeling pretty good.

I'm seeing alot of people talk about grinding Galeforce with all the characters who can get it. My question is if the game ever gets difficult enough on Hard to make this worth it or should I just wait until a Lunatic playthrough to min max stuff like this?

I'm fine with grinding and building up a sweet team but only really if it means I'm not just rolling over the available content. If Hard doesn't get significantly harder near the end I don't see grinding out Galeforce to be worth it.

And for those who have played Lunatic, is it needed even there? I dunno, my impression of this game is that it's hard at first but once you have an established team it kinda becomes a cakewalk, min maxed or not.

Of course I'm just on chapter 10 so please let me know if it does infact get more difficult later on.

I totally understand what you mean. I started Lunatic just because I love building up a 'perfect' team but...well, normal ends up a joke. My half-leveled Morgan was able to solo the entire final level without a scratch on normal. Gale force is godlike especially when you've got a pair of them working in tandem getting 3 turns per round.

As for Lunatic...well, I just tried doing a random skirmish with a Risen that popped up in chapter 8. It was a group of promoted level 20s with capped stats and forged weapons. I nope'd so hard I almost dropped my 3DS.

scy

Decided finally to stop grinding Supports this playthrough. Going to rush out the ones I have, grab the kids, and then worry about Support grinding on my Lunatic(+) runs.

Ideally you should reclass him at 10, or 15 if you want Underdog for some reason (it sucks, but I understand wanting it anyways). For a normal non-child character (like say Chrom or Vaike) you're better off hanging out in the basic classes from 1-20 a couple times, since you gain levels faster that way. But Donnel will cap his basic class stats so damn fast you'll possibly start hitting a wall before you hit 20 in Mercenary. And Mercenary is what you should be in because Armsthrift with his luck is great.

There's two reasons, really:

1) Donnel will cap his stats anyway and you'll be taking him through a basic class so no sense going crazy on his levels before hand and causing a lot of empty levels (like I did ;_;).

2) You have to Second Seal him. Waiting to 30 means making him level a lot slower than if you had just stopped at 15.

Jarekx

Yea, Lunatic is kicking my arse. I restarted a couple times last night and I finally feel I got the hang of using frederick as a meat wall on the first few chapters. Really hard to pull an enemy with low hp without pulling too many. Great fun though.

kswiston

I am thinking of putting together a Fire Emblem Awakening Unit Guide for GameFAQs and other websites, seeing as there doesn't really seem to be one yet. In past titles, I have enjoyed looking at people rankings for each character to help me decide who was worth bothering with and who was trash.

If anyone is interested in helping out by sending me their thoughts on each unit, shoot off a PM.

NeonZ

I think the father conversations are usually the same, or at least mostly similar.

They always follow the same sequence of dialogue (the order the parent and child speak) and the subject, but the lines of each parent are changed around in order to fit the personality of the parent - as long as it doesn't disrupt the flow of the conversation. That's why, say, Virion only brings up his own womanizing ways in his father/son support with Inigo by the end of the A support, when he isn't complaining about Inigo's behavior anymore. Same goes to his supports with Owain. He only acknowledges that he likes seeing himself as a legend in the last support, when that can fit in without making his complaints about Owai sound weird. On the other hand, Gregor will always sound like Gregor in most situations, and the same goes to Vaike.

Anyway, Chrom's extra child does get a completley different conversation with him when you attempt to recruit them with Chrom himself. I like Chrom/Olivia just because I think Inigo as Chrom's son fits really well. He looks like a slightly younger Chrom, and in his parent support
it's revealed that he was some kind of leader figure in the future, and started acting like that in order to inspire confidence on the people around him, showing that he wasn't affected by the world around them, which just reinforces that impression even further.

Midou

I like Chrom/Olivia just because I think Inigo as Chrom's son fits really well.

Well the funny thing is, that it's essentially impossible to get Chrom x Olivia unless you specifically know the situation in which she joins. I already had Sumia at A rank before that chapter, from simply pairing up her and Chrom so he could get the extra range.

mercviper

Yea, Lunatic is kicking my arse. I restarted a couple times last night and I finally feel I got the hang of using frederick as a meat wall on the first few chapters. Really hard to pull an enemy with low hp without pulling too many. Great fun though.

Wait til you get the encounters where they don't wait for you to pull them. :p

Did chapters 6 & 7 last night. SO much easier than Ch. 5. Now if only I could say the same about the random risen encounters. I feel like I've failed paralogues 2&3 too because I can't save Anna/Villagers fast enough. ;_;

I can't remember, is that last mission before
Chrom auto-marries
one where the boss remain stationary and it is possible to grind dances to build support?

Midou

I can't remember, is that last mission before
Chrom auto-marries
one where the boss remain stationary and it is possible to grind dances to build support?

Not sure if dancing actually builds support, even though it shows the heart, I did it for about 20 minutes once and got not even a C support out of it, and heard some people who did even more.

Is this RPG friendly for RPG-newbies like me? Just finished Ni No Kuni, loved it. Want to play more RPG's, but the should not be too hard/difficult.

Not sure if dancing actually builds support, even though it shows the heart, I did it for about 20 minutes once and got not even a C support out of it, and heard some people who did even more.

I got a C rank support when I danced a ton, but I just assumed you couldn't build more than one level of support at a time.

kswiston

Is this RPG friendly for RPG-newbies like me? Just finished Ni No Kuni, loved it. Want to play more RPG's, but the should not be too hard/difficult.

It's not an rpg in the same way as Ni No Kuni. It's a strategy rpg, with a heavy focus put on turn-based combat over story or characters (even though it has both of those). That said, FE: Awakening is very beginner friendly. The basic game mechanics are really simple, and you can choose to play on various difficulty levels.

I got a C rank support when I danced a ton, but I just assumed you couldn't build more than one level of support at a time.

I haven't completely figured out the support system but:

A) you can only gain a support level once every two maps at best
B) I think you need to perform multiple support actions next to each other in a single map, and you may need to do this with both characters, to rank it up. My guess is 3+ actions in total during a single map.

Usually, I just take the two characters I want to build support with to a random battle that they can clear as a solo duet and place them next to eachother as the enemies rush on. You can get from C to S in about an hour using this method.

"Olivia is feeling down. Kellam decides to give her a small pep talk to help her out."
"She gets happy and decides to make desserts for everyone. He agrees with her."
"She leaves saying thanks to a tree she thinks she was talking to."

Man do I feel bad for ignoring him up till now.

Mupod

I am unsure since I have not specifically looked it up, but based on my experience I believe there's a cap on how much support you can get in a single mission.

kswiston

I am unsure since I have not specifically looked it up, but based on my experience I believe there's a cap on how much support you can get in a single mission.

You can only raise 1 support level every two maps, even if you solo the map with two characters right next to each other. I have done this with at least 10-15 pairs of characters and it is always true.

It's not an rpg in the same way as Ni No Kuni. It's a strategy rpg, with a heavy focus put on turn-based combat over story or characters (even though it has both of those). That said, FE: Awakening is very beginner friendly. The basic game mechanics are really simple, and you can choose to play on various difficulty levels.

Thanks! Can't wait to check it out, hope there will be a demo out for Europe

Soulhouf

Well the funny thing is, that it's essentially impossible to get Chrom x Olivia unless you specifically know the situation in which she joins. I already had Sumia at A rank before that chapter, from simply pairing up her and Chrom so he could get the extra range.

I got Olivia and I have no idea how did that happen. I kind of regret it now...

Jachaos

Ok, I can't do Lunatic's third mission with this current set-up. Will have to start over for a third time. I wanted to have a female avatar for this playthrough, but does sex influence defense/resistance base stats or growth ? What would be the best avatar set-up to get through the third mission ?

As soon as I can start choosing items and positioning my units and leaving the weaker ones behind and all that jazz I'll manage, but right now, Frederik gets killed in three hits, no matter who I pair him up with. And if I don't send him up to clean up a bit, I get swarmed at the start of the map. Also, I managed to clear the first part of it, up to the bridge, a couple times already, but then I go into an enemy's range and they won't come until they can attack me with at least a few guys and then swarm me.

scy

I got Olivia and I have no idea how did that happen. I kind of regret it now...

She had the highest support with him of all the possible marriage partners (that were available).

Like I said though, she's statistically the best choice for the kids.

mercviper

Ok, I can't do Lunatic's third mission with this current set-up. Will have to start over for a third time. I wanted to have a female avatar for this playthrough, but does sex influence defense/resistance base stats or growth ? What would be the best avatar set-up to get through the third mission ?

As soon as I can start choosing items and positioning my units and leaving the weaker ones behind and all that jazz I'll manage, but right now, Frederik gets killed in three hits, no matter who I pair him up with. And if I don't send him up to clean up a bit, I get swarmed at the start of the map. Also, I managed to clear the first part of it, up to the bridge, a couple times already, but then I go into an enemy's range and they won't come until they can attack me with at least a few guys and then swarm me.

I thought Fred was much tankier for me at this point. Well, 4 hits and everyone hitting him with like 30% hit rate.

Anyway, what I did for the part past the bridge was I rushed Fred into a fort and equipped him with a sword, and he hung out there til it was just the boss, whom I lured back to the rest of the group to finish off. If you're using a lance still on that level the axes are going to eat you alive.

Roto13

"Olivia is feeling down. Kellam decides to give her a small pep talk to help her out."
"She gets happy and decides to make desserts for everyone. He agrees with her."
"She leaves saying thanks to a tree she thinks she was talking to."

Man do I feel bad for ignoring him up till now.

Ha ha, yeah, that was a good one. Poor Kellam.

Jachaos

I thought Fred was much tankier for me at this point. Well, 4 hits and everyone hitting him with like 30% hit rate.

Anyway, what I did for the part past the bridge was I rushed Fred into a fort and equipped him with a sword, and he hung out there til it was just the boss, whom I lured back to the rest of the group to finish off. If you're using a lance still on that level the axes are going to eat you alive.

Forgot about the weapon triangle. Radiant Dawn had that turned off on the hardest difficulty, and this game's Hard difficulty was a breeze so the weapon triangle was an afterthought. Will try again with a sword, thanks !

Soulhouf

She had the highest support with him of all the possible marriage partners (that were available).

The problem is I didn't know. I'm playing hard mode and I don't need super kids to clear that mode.
I will need her when I will play Lunatic and Lunatic+. Or, wait, I can use a female avatar in Lunatic. That on paper would make even more powerful kids right?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
If you want to grind support, load Florina's bonus box fight on the map, bring the two characters you want to pair (and ONLY those two characters), and as long as they have around 13 defense when paired up (and you don't lead with someone weak to arrows) you can just skip all animations and have the level finished in about 60 seconds. Even faster if your lead character has ranged attacks. Do this twice, and you'll go up a support level almost guaranteed. You'll usually gain a level and a half worth of XP along with each attempt, too, assuming your characters aren't triple-promoted or anything. I blew through a ton of relationships this way for characters I rarely use.

scy

The problem is I didn't know. I'm playing hard mode and I don't need super kids to clear that mode.
I will need her when I will play Lunatic and Lunatic+. Or, wait, I can use a female avatar in Lunatic. That on paper would make even more powerful kids right?

There's better uses of the Avatar but I suppose you could get something better. Though, min/max wise, you might as well put the Male Avatar with one of the kids anyway :x

And I was just saying that it's a good pairing. I thought you were saying you regretted it for something along the lines of it being bad or something.

If you want to grind support, load Florina's bonus box fight on the map, bring the two characters you want to pair (and ONLY those two characters), and as long as they have around 13 defense when paired up (and you don't lead with someone weak to arrows) you can just skip all animations and have the level finished in about 60 seconds. Even faster if your lead character has ranged attacks. Do this twice, and you'll go up a support level almost guaranteed. You'll usually gain a level and a half worth of XP along with each attempt, too, assuming your characters aren't triple-promoted or anything. I blew through a ton of relationships this way for characters I rarely use.

8 EXP/kill would mean 80 EXP per clear. On Lunatic(+), it'd be 10 EXP/clear, I believe, since the SpotPass EXP is heavily reduced.

mercviper

Perm stat boosts don't go above cap right?

I have a secret tome (+2 skill) and a goddess pendant (+2 luck) that I think I'm going to sell for face value because of how gold-starved my lunatic playthrough is. DLC for money seems like cheating so I'm staying away from that. :x

scy

Perm stat boosts don't go above cap right?

They won't break the cap. None of the consumption ones will break the cap though equipping +Stats and Skills that give +Stats will.

edit: Nix that, I forgot Awakening changed things. All temporary bonuses can break the cap. The only ones that won't are the permanent stat boost consumption items.

I have a secret tome (+2 skill) and a goddess pendant (+2 luck) that I think I'm going to sell for face value because of how gold-starved my lunatic playthrough is. DLC for money seems like cheating so I'm staying away from that. :x

You'll break down eventually.

I probably wouldn't use it early on but during the middle of the game where I can't seem to get any fucking Risen to spawn ever and don't feel like Leif's Blade/Despoil grinding map-after-map? Just a nice time saver then.

Wait, XP is reduced for spotpass missions based on difficulty? Does this apply to DLC too?

Just something I've seen mentioned here on the Lunatic runs with SpotPass maps. Granted, there could be other factors but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. It's too easy to just afk grind levels on Florina's team.

mercviper

Wait, XP is reduced for spotpass missions based on difficulty? Does this apply to DLC too?

I know Florina (spotpass dlc) only gives 1 xp per hit/kill. I didn't check other spotpass ones.

Paid DLC like COY1/Marth, grants XP as per normal so I assume the other paid ones do as well.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention I'm talking about for Lunatic difficulty.

You'll break down eventually.

I probably wouldn't use it early on but during the middle of the game where I can't seem to get any fucking Risen to spawn ever and don't feel like Leif's Blade/Despoil grinding map-after-map? Just a nice time saver then.

Well... Hopefully I can complete all the main story chapters w/o having to use it. Then I'll feel comfortable breaking down the using it because at that point I'll be grinding max stats.

KarmaCow

God damn Miriel is a machine. She basically solo'd chapter 16 with near constant crits. I just sent her staight to the boss to see if it could actaully work and everything just fell as she ran by.

Donnel is supposed to get good stat growths but Miriel has been consistently getting more boosts than him.

Draxal

She isn't though, female mu is. And female MU is better then a male MU in a min/max sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom