• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWILT

Banned
I take back
mostly
every bad thing I said about my EB Games store. Just walked into the store and got my copy earlier.

Yeeeeeeeeaahhhhhhh!

Takuan

I am a huge JRPG fan, and I may be traveling for work SIGNIFICANTLY (and thus wanting a portable).

What JRPG's are out/going to come out?

Any other "adventurey" type games coming out?

Should I get this or a Vita?

Im so confused...I want a handheld for business travel, but dont know what to get!

I own both; a Vita for ~3 months and the 3DS XL for a few days. The Vita is a sleeker machine with a gorgeous screen, and if JRPGS are your thing it has almost every PSP JRPG worth playing along with Persona 4 Golden. It's also an excellent YouTube player, but note that if your memory card is filled to capacity, you may experience problems watching longer videos. There are a handful of new JRPGs coming to the Vita this year, but there aren't any official localization announcements as of yet, to my knowledge. It also looks less like a toy, which may or may not matter in your business travels.

OTOH, 3DS has Fire Emblem, which is so good - good enough that it validates my purchase of an XL. I've already spent more time playing the 3DS in 3 days than I have in 3 months on the Vita.

Got a call from EB games for my pre-order. I am slightly conflicted. I'm glad it it is early, but I still haven't beaten Radiant Dawn yet. I guess I keep my plan and beat Radiant Dawn this week and start Awakenings afterwords.

Tex117

Banned
I own both; a Vita for ~3 months and the 3DS XL for a few days. The Vita is a sleeker machine with a gorgeous screen, and if JRPGS are your thing it has almost every PSP JRPG worth playing along with Persona 4 Golden. It's also an excellent YouTube player, but note that if your memory card is filled to capacity, you may experience problems watching longer videos. There are a handful of new JRPGs coming to the Vita this year, but there aren't any official localization announcements as of yet, to my knowledge. It also looks less like a toy, which may or may not matter in your business travels.

OTOH, 3DS has Fire Emblem, which is so good - good enough that it validates my purchase of an XL. I've already spent more time playing the 3DS in 3 days than I have in 3 months on the Vita.

Oh, the look is not a huge deal. I'll be on a plane for long periods of time anyway, then in hotel rooms.

I just want an ample stable of games to play and enjoy. I love JRPG's, WesternRPGs, Adventure type games.

And of course, it is this game that makes me want to buy any handheld in the first place.

Chrom

Can I just use a card reader to drag and drop all my files from one SD card onto my desktop and then put them onto the new card with the reverse method?

Yeah, that's what I do since my computer by itself can't work with SDHC cards for some reason.

I am a huge JRPG fan, and I may be traveling for work SIGNIFICANTLY (and thus wanting a portable).

What JRPG's are out/going to come out?

Any other "adventurey" type games coming out?

Should I get this or a Vita?

Im so confused...I want a handheld for business travel, but dont know what to get!

In a best case scenario, you can afford both. Given that's not always a valid option though, it would really depend on what you're looking for. The 3DS is getting a bunch of stuff such as Project X Zone, Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers and Fire Emblem. The Vita has Persona 4 Golden....and that's about it. Although P4G almost makes owning a Vita worth it imo.

In terms of adventure games, both have VLR but the 3DS will be getting Layton vs Phoenix Wright. Just do some research and you'll be fine.

Just played the demo this morning. It wasn't much different from when I last played a Fire Emblem(which I believe was Radiant Dawn?) but I still had fun and I love the challenge of trying to keep every single party member alive. I just might pick this up.

Tex117

Banned
In a best case scenario, you can afford both. Given that's not always a valid option though, it would really depend on what you're looking for. The 3DS is getting a bunch of stuff such as Project X Zone, Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers and Fire Emblem. The Vita has Persona 4 Golden....and that's about it. Although P4G almost makes owning a Vita worth it imo.

In terms of adventure games, both have VLR but the 3DS will be getting Layton vs Phoenix Wright. Just do some research and you'll be fine.

Hmmm, one step closer to the 3ds

Thanks for the input.

Takuan

Oh, the look is not a huge deal. I'll be on a plane for long periods of time anyway, then in hotel rooms.

I just want an ample stable of games to play and enjoy. I love JRPG's, WesternRPGs, Adventure type games.

And of course, it is this game that makes me want to buy any handheld in the first place.

Tough call. As I've said, Vita seems like the platform to go with if you're a big fan of JRPGs and don't already own a PSP. On the other hand, it doesn't have Fire Emblem, memory cards are expensive, and there are legitimate concerns about its future. You also get Zelda and Mario on the 3DS, although I can't really speak for the quality of those games beyond Super Mario 3D Land (which is good, but a bit easy so far). If we cross our fingers, maybe Square will localize Bravely Default.

Personally, despite being pretty anti-Nintendo, I feel a lot more comfortable with the 3DS purchase than the Vita purchase... and it has everything to do with Fire Emblem being what it is.

Well, if you're giving the Vita the credit of the PSP library, the DS' jRPG offerings are massive and offer some of the best titles in the genre. All playable on the 3DS, of course.
That's true. I only played some of FFIII & IV on the DS and not much else, so I couldn't really speak to that. My gut says the PSP games have aged better due to the stronger hardware, but that shouldn't rule out the DS' expansive library.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Tough call. As I've said, Vita seems like the platform to go with if you're a big fan of JRPGs and don't already own a PSP. On the other hand, it doesn't have Fire Emblem, memory cards are expensive, and there are legitimate concerns about its future. You also get Zelda and Mario on the 3DS, although I can't really speak for the quality of those games beyond Super Mario 3D Land (which is good, but a bit easy so far).

If we cross our fingers, maybe Square will localize Bravely Default.

Well, if you're giving the Vita the credit of the PSP library, the DS' jRPG offerings are massive and offer some of the best titles in the genre. All playable on the 3DS, of course.

Mr.Fresh

This demo is soo good. I really never liked Fire Emblem and for some reason this just clicked! I was just about to sale my 3ds due to disappointing releases (KH, NSMB2, Monster Hunter no online, and games not leaving Japan.) This may be the game that keeps my 3DS around.

Jamix012

Can someone cofirm for me that the streetdate break covers the whole US and not just Canada? I need to know if I should make the trek out.

Socreges

Banned
Was gonna go digital, but now I'm tempted to go to EB and just grab a physical copy.

On the other hand, I wanted to finish FE12 first, which I haven't really had time for.

Pretty sure I'm gonna end up doing the irresponsible/impulse thing here.

I have to say, as somebody new to Fire Emblem, I find it far creepier to come at the marriage/child system on a technical "what would give me the best results" lever, versus getting into a bit of shipping. In the latter, I'm still thinking of my characters as characters with personality and whatnot. In the former, it's like looking at them simply as baby factories.
i6qCgxdmxxHPp.gif

Keyouta

Damn, my EB won't be getting them in until tomorrow!

I guess I shouldn't really complain about it though haha.

Chrom

So is it possible to download SpotPass or DLC content right now, or will their distribution periods not begin until the release date?

lilty

Was quite surprised when EB called me saying I could get it today. Game cartridge is glorious and the art book is nice.

Mr. Fix

Well this is tough. Perhaps I'm a little crusty, but wow. The map takes place
in the mountains, I think
and you have a
mage and troubador
stuck between both forces of the enemy. The whole starting strategy for me was to save these two. There's also no safe spot for them unless you have Fredrick kill a myrmidon within their range on the first turn. Took me 6 tries to get through it. Luckily, the RNG was on my side with them 3% crits!

So is it possible to download SpotPass or DLC content right now, or will their distribution periods not begin until the release date?
I'm curious about that too.

Though, back then, some fans managed to get the Japanese version early and I seem to recall the DLC/SpotPass wasn't ready.

Chrom

I'm curious about that too.

Though, back then, some fans managed to get the Japanese version early and I seem to recall the DLC/SpotPass wasn't ready.

Yeah, I also remember a few people getting the Japanese version early, but I never wondered if DLC/SpotPass was available at that time. I wouldn't be surprised if there's really nothing available to download at the moment.

Mr. Fix

I activated the spotpass, and checked for DLC at the world map. It's not available yet, which is unfortunate, 'cause I wanted to use Marth on this playthrough.

Chrom

I activated the spotpass, and checked for DLC at the world map. It's not available yet, which is unfortunate, 'cause I wanted to use Marth on this playthrough.

Ah, figures. I suppose we'll just have to wait until the 4th for anything to download, then.

Socreges

Banned
Fuck it, I'm going to get it now.

Partly because there's some satisfaction in playing a game days before most others!

Maybe I'll pair up two totally incompatible characters just to infuriate you guys.
KuGsj.gif

cjkeats

Can you guys confirm that Jp voices = no subtitles during cutscenes?

You have to turn them on. The options menu in the battles is where and you get a chance after the very first cutscene, and there's no dialogue in that one other than grunts and rahhs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom