• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If you're gonna restart why wouldn't you just pick casual?

For the challenge of never losing a party member? You play maps very differently if you're dead set on no deaths. Playing FE without perma death just takes all the unique entertainment value out of it for me. You can just ram your way through almost any battle field without risk. I live for the pain.

Socreges

Banned
I think he means restart the chapter.

Unless you understand that? And still object? It's what most of us do, I'm pretty sure. The challenge for me is being able to make it to the end of a map, and hopefully the end of the game, without losing a single character. Sometimes finding out how that's even possible is very difficult, but the reward is awesome.

Despera

Banned

Unless you understand that? And still object? It's what most of us do, I'm pretty sure. The challenge for me is being able to make it to the end of a map, and hopefully the end of the game, without losing a single character. Sometimes finding out how that's even possible is very difficult, but the reward is awesome.
That's what I plan on doing.

I guess that came off more abrasive than I meant. I was just curious.

Probably there are a lot of players, like me, who are somewhere between "no one can die" and "live with the consequences." I like the drama of permadeath, and I'll generally leave characters dead when (a) they die heroically and (b) they are not a key part of my team. Of course this means that as a practical matter I don't allow a whole lot of characters to stay dead, and that's why I won't sit in on judgment on casual mode.

I am also trying to get better about toughing out deaths. I've done no-reset runs on 7, 8, and 9.

Cheska

Silly question I'm sure but can you still get a Dragons if you play with a female avatar? Saw someone earlier mention that they were going to play as a male so they could get more dragons.

I find it hilarious when people wonder why anyone would ever pick classic and restarts. If I could scrape by a level with Chrom at 1 HP, MU at 4, and EVERYONE ELSE DEAD, and then start the next chapter with everyone feeling hunkey dorey like nothing happened, I might as well be playing "Can't ever lose ever" mode.

Silly question I'm sure but can you still get a Dragons if you play with a female avatar? Saw someone earlier mention that they were going to play as a male so they could get more dragons.
Nope, the only dragons in the game are female ones, no males, but it's ONLY one dragon that you'd potentially be missing out on.

And besides, Morgan is probably better as a tactician anyway, I'm just doing it for the lolz.

If you play as a male Avatar, you can marry
Tiki or Nowi and your daughter Morgan will start as a Manakete.

I believe not, since you won't be romancing the dragon loli and gaining access to the dragon class
for your child.

Socreges

Banned
Noob question: is it possible to see an enemy's range of movement for each turn?
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that's an option in the demo, and it's definitely in the game. Whenever it's 'Player Turn', you can individually select an enemy to see its range (in red). And don't forget that some units have a range of 1-2 so they can actually reach a shielded unit. You can press one button (forgot which) and it'll show you the 'danger range' (ie, the range of all enemies on the map), which is extremely helpful in making sure you don't get surprised by an enemy unit with, for example, a Hand Axe (1-2).

cjkeats

Noob question: is it possible to see an enemy's range of movement for each turn?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that's an option in the demo, and it's definitely in the game. Whenever it's 'Player Turn', you can individually select an enemy to see its range (in red). And don't forget that some units have a range of 1-2 so they can actually reach a shielded unit. You can press one button (forgot which) and it'll show you the 'danger range' (ie, the range of all enemies on the map), which is extremely helpful in making sure you don't get surprised by an enemy unit with, for example, a Hand Axe (1-2).

It's X.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

You can scroll over an enemy to see their attack range. You can press A on the enemy to lock that view in and thus plan around it, or go and select other enemies to see their range.

edit: Good advice above too. :p

Cheska

Nope, the only dragons in the game are female ones, no males, but it's ONLY one dragon that you'd potentially be missing out on.

And besides, Morgan is probably better as a tactician anyway, I'm just doing it for the lolz.

If you play as a male Avatar, you can marry
Tiki or Nowi and your daughter Morgan will start as a Manakete.

Bummer! So none of your team members can be dragon riders either? I mean, I don't necessarily mind if I can't have a dragon but if someone in my parts can then I'd be okay with it.

Rarutos

Bummer! So none of your team members can be dragon riders either? I mean, I don't necessarily mind if I can't have a dragon but if someone in my parts can then I'd be okay with it.

There are two default Wyvern Riders in the game, if you mean that. Some people can Class Change into them too. O:

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh okay. Thanks guys. I'm especially liking this bit...

It's really helpful as you might imagine. You can bait enemies in small numbers, but seeing their attack range. And it can help you setup a wall of people, or know how close you can get to a boss, etc.

Just my opinion, if you play casual you are not playing FE right.

That's how I feel, but if more people are interested in the game because casual mode is there, I'm not going to rain on their parade. Maybe they will eventually try playing the game 'as it was originally intended' at some point, where they wouldn't have even given it a chance before.

Seda

The argument here is that then your plan of attack changes and strategy is modified. You don't have to worry about leaving a person in harms way. 'Meh, I'm not going to go back and help my units over there, Chrom's going to beat the boss in a few turns anyway.'

Something like that.

Hrm... I need to figure out what the average max size is for a party, because I am SERIOUSLY considering having a team full of Dragonlords and Manakets, with a side of Lord and some healing class.

Lunar15

The argument here is that then your plan of attack changes and strategy is modified. You don't have to worry about leaving a person in harms way. 'Meh, I'm not going to go back and help my units over there, Chrom's going to beat the boss in a few turns anyway.'

Something like that.

It changes the focus from "beating the map" to "beating the map with no one dying", which is an entirely different goal and strategy. Sure you could play casual and do the same thing, but why leave the temptation there?

Mutterings of the streetdate being broken in the US is rising. Apparently it was part of a conference call. Start gearing up. They will sell the moment shipment comes in.

Mupod

Something like that.

I can see that line of reasoning, but when I play SRW (which has no permadeath) I don't do that kind of thing. For me it's just insurance against 1% crit nonsense.

I've only ever played one FE (Sacred Stones) and I restarted chapters if even the most worthless unit died. I would be doing the same here so I might as well save myself some time.

If I'm going to play with permadeath it will be an ironman run with no reloading. Which I could certainly see myself doing someday, I enjoyed it in XCOM.

Seda

It changes the focus from "beating the map" to "beating the map with no one dying", which is an entirely different goal and strategy. Sure you could play casual and do the same thing, but why leave the temptation there?

Not sure if you're directing this towards me or just continuing my statement, by yeah, no way am I playing this on Casual. I realize the way I put my previous post was weird.

Lunar15

Not sure if you're directing this towards me or just continuing my statement, by yeah, no way am I playing this on Casual. I realize the way I put my previous post was weird.

I actually meant to quote the other person, but ended up quoting you. No idea what happened there. Essentially reinforcing your point.

Tendo

I hope street date breaks soon. I'm flying this weekend to see my gramps before he passes and would love to have something to do on the plane/ downtime when we aren't with him.

TreIII

Since the marriages are there for the purpose of having children, that's probably the reason they didn't include homosexual pairings.

If that's all there is to it on the gameplay side, then they could just say that such a pairing "adopted a ward that they raised together" or something to that effect.

I mean, it doesn't have to involve that much thought. After all, it's just a gameplay mechanic with a bit of fanservice on top.

Lunar15

If that's all there is to it on the gameplay side, then they could just say that such a pairing "adopted a ward that they raised together" or something to that effect.

I mean, it doesn't have to involve that much thought. After all, it's just a gameplay mechanic with a bit of fanservice on top.

While I don't disagree, I feel like the idea is that you're passing down the skills genetically. Just looking at it from a flavor/gameplay perspective.

Persona86

Banned
I just noticed their feet after all this time, now it's hard not to focus on them haha.

Can't wait for UK release, I'll probably buy a 3DS XL that day.

Prax

Yeah. I feel it comes down to the Holy Blood mechanic introduced in FE4. So the whole genetics thing is kind of important bnreeding-wise, though in the next game, they could have some homosexual pairings and still have skills being passed down since they are "teaching it" to the adopted kids instead of it being inherited. They would probably limit the available pairings to only about 2-3 characters though, just to keep it slightly representative? I dunno. XD It wouldn't totally make sense having all the characters be bisexual or even half of them bisexual (let alone exclusively homosexual). But that would be awesome if they did! It just requires extra thinking to write.

Even the growing representtatuion of dark-skinned people is making slow progress, but it's coming along.. So - hope they continue with that.

Might as well not have gender specific classes at some point too. Male peggy knights and dancers, female pirates and berserkers, go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom