• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
Soooo mid-game children aint alright spoiler
Lucina and her sister can both S relationship Owain?! Is this a nod to keeping royal family blood pure?

Shahadan

. Also not a fan of how they drifted from a army of soldiers with some bizarre quirks and a few oddball standouts to the pure distilled anime 80% of the characters here end up being (one of the child characters is literally just every bullet point of Tsundere wrapped up into one set of twintails).

That, with the story, is my biggest fear about the game (europe). In fact I'm sur I won't like it as much as PoR/RD.
What's worse is, considering the japanese sales, anime style is here to stay. :|

Just soloed Noire's Paralogue with Sorcerer Tharja.

Their reunion was one of my personal highlights of the game especially when they started laughing at the end. Chrom's reaction to the entire meeting was priceless.

Esura

Banned
Things I disliked
1. Reclassing - I think the complexities introduced by reclassing (optimizing stat/skill distributions) are still not worth the dilution of the party-planning aspect of the game. I like that in pre-reclassing FEs, if you lost or failed to raise a wyvern rider, that was it - you didn't get a wyvern rider. If for some reason you were fond of an archer, you'd better find a way to use him/her as an archer, because you couldn't just move him/her to a better class. Hard mode and Lunatic address my concerns by making XP and money (for second seals) rare enough that you need to have a plan for reclassing (unless you want to spotpass/DLC grind), but I'd still prefer the simplicity of locking characters to classes.

Ah, I didn't know you couldn't reclass in other FE. I'm not reclassing in this game because I usually don't like jumping around classes in RPGs in general. Feels easier to just focus on one class, especially with as many characters as Awakening has. Luckily from what I heard the main game on Normal doesn't require all that reclassing stuff. Once I hit Level 20 in their promoted roles they should be set for the rest of the Normal game I bet....right?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
They're good for grinding relationships and CoY3 gives you a pretty handy skill that you can give to everyone (All Stats +2). I think you need to buy 2 to be able to buy 3. I'd say they're worth it for the $4 the bundle costs right now, but they won't be worth the $5 it'll cost to buy them when the bundle stops being free.

I would say, "no." They play out on the same map as Champions of Yore 1, and although they have different enemy arrangements, the content is pretty much the same.

Sounds like I'll have to see if CoY1 becomes too tedious for me. Do the 2/3 units at least give more exp than the 1 units?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like I'll have to see if CoY1 becomes too tedious for me. Do the 2/3 units at least give more exp than the 1 units?

They get progressively more difficult with stronger versions of the enemies, so more experience as well.

If anything, the third one is the best just because you can farm it for supports, weapons levels, or whatever, and get All Stats +2 manuals out of it as well. The other two just give you a DLC character and nothing else.

Edit: Yeah, and no allies which really helps as well.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yeah, the reclassing thing is awesome for potential/levelling purposes, but as is, it's almost too readily available.

It allows people to play with the characters they like, to some extent, but when class imbalance of innate caps, homogenization of everyone to certain classes (in this case, with the best caps/skills) is pretty much guaranteed. When everyone can be the best they can be, the only reason to play a character is personal preference or who has the best stat caps.

The "chess" aspect of picking the right units does die down a lot too, especially when all of the chapters are just "route all enemies". The enemies either have to become super powerful as well (such as the spotpass teams) or just have all silver weapons which basically achieves the same thing. It just kind of becomes a galeforce units who can kill someone, and retreat and let the enemy rush up but avoid taking damage from their forged silver weapons, since your own deaths mean much more than the random enemies.

But I think with as big as a cast of characters that they had, they had to distill the characters themselves down somewhat in order to keep them differentiated when compared to something like FE7, especially with how the Avatar can S-rank with everyone of the opposite gender.

Story wise, yeah, beating the old dragon/darkness/demon threat is a little old, I'd prefer something more along the lines of the old realistic-like country/political infighting without any mysticicm attached, though that makes it much harder to divide people into "heroes" like the Lords of each series into the good guys vs. the pure evil dragon/demon/darkness villains.

I have to agree about the reclassing. I did like getting skills from different classes, but at some point I had something like 6 Swordmasters in my team for getting Astra. It kind of decreases the uniqueness of the characters as well I find when you have so many options available.

I also missed the unpromoted>promoted>ohgodpromoted class structure from Radiant Dawn. I was somewhat disappointed to see you can only promote once in Awakening. I found RD's skill system to be pretty neat as well. I'd definitely be glad to see them return in the next game with some tweaks of course.

Andrew J.

Soooo mid-game children aint alright spoiler
Lucina and her sister can both S relationship Owain?! Is this a nod to keeping royal family blood pure?

A certain amount of incest isn't uncommon for royal families in the real world, and especially not in Fire Emblem. (See Genealogy and Sacred Stones.)

That said, cousin marriage is pretty tame. It's legal in some parts of the United States and in many other countries, including Japan.

I also missed the unpromoted>promoted>ohgodpromoted class structure from Radiant Dawn. I was somewhat disappointed to see you can only promote once in Awakening. I

I do miss that part, but the game did comprise on that by raising the caps on pretty much every class expect for like Villagers so basics are like 1.5 level and the promoted classes are like the super promoted level now.

AniHawk

through chapter 12. it's pretty easy like sacred stones, and i regret not going on hard mode from the start (why not just label then easy/normal/hard? stop messing with my head). that said, it's scratching an itch i hadn't noticed. there are so many dumb little choices to make that actually have an affect on the story, i'm amazed at how much effort was put into this title.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I also missed the unpromoted>promoted>ohgodpromoted class structure from Radiant Dawn. I was somewhat disappointed to see you can only promote once in Awakening. I found RD's skill system to be pretty neat as well. I'd definitely be glad to see them return in the next game with some tweaks of course.

Definitely agree. I do like the branching promotions though, and combining that with the three tiers from Radiant Dawn could be pretty cool.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
through chapter 12. it's pretty easy like sacred stones, and i regret not going on hard mode from the start (why not just label then easy/normal/hard? stop messing with my head). that said, it's scratching an itch i hadn't noticed. there are so many dumb little choices to make that actually have an affect on the story, i'm amazed at how much effort was put into this title.

Normal mode is mostly about placement, put the right guys in the right spot and watch the other side kill themselves.

Definitely agree. I do like the branching promotions though, and combining that with the three tiers from Radiant Dawn could be pretty cool.

That is pretty cool, but reclassing is still lame.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
They get progressively more difficult with stronger versions of the enemies, so more experience as well.

If anything, the third one is the best just because you can farm it for supports, weapons levels, or whatever, and get All Stats +2 manuals out of it as well. The other two just give you a DLC character and nothing else.

Edit: Yeah, and no allies which really helps as well.

Good, good. I'm tired of those punks poaching my quarry.

Sounds like the level pack will suit my purposes after all. I'll buy it once I get tired of CoY1.

Cheska

Is it just me or do Gregor x Nowi's support convos seem like they were really meant to be paired up together? I've also been enjoying Cordelia X Donnel.

Are Olivia and Anna supposed to hard as hell to get support convos going? I feel like I've paired Olivia up with Lon-qu every single time for about 5 battles and they haven't had a single conversation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is it just me or do Gregor x Nowi's support convos seem like they were really meant to be paired up together? I've also been enjoying Cordelia X Donnel.

Are Olivia and Anna supposed to hard as hell to get support convos going? I feel like I've paired Olivia up with Lon-qu every single time for about 5 battles and they haven't had a single conversation.

Check to make sure they can even have support convos. Some pairs can't.

I do miss that part, but the game did comprise on that by raising the caps on pretty much every class expect for like Villagers so basics are like 1.5 level and the promoted classes are like the super promoted level now.

I guess so. I still prefer the double promotes just for the flashiness of seeing an upgraded character.

Yeah, if they add tree tiers with branching paths that would be the best possible combo.

If they are going to keep reclassing in the next game, I think it would be great if they could add a No Reclass option like we already have with Classic/Casual. I'm suggesting that with something like RD's skill system in mind since I think that helps the issue of of getting skills on other characters who wouldn't normally earn it via their class.

1. Reclassing - I think the complexities introduced by reclassing (optimizing stat/skill distributions) are still not worth the dilution of the party-planning aspect of the game. I like that in pre-reclassing FEs, if you lost or failed to raise a wyvern rider, that was it - you didn't get a wyvern rider. If for some reason you were fond of an archer, you'd better find a way to use him/her as an archer, because you couldn't just move him/her to a better class.

Except this criticism does not apply because a character has a set number of classes they can be. It doesn't matter how many second seals you use, Chrom will never be able to be any classes other then Lord, Archer, Cavalier and their promoted forms. It gives characters more versatility, but doesn't make them the same.

bon

When should I start S ranking units together? I'd like to unlock most of the characters before I start pairing them up.

Hrmm.... I'm having relationship troubles. How should I pair up my remaining units?

Girls: Olivia, Tharja, Cherche, Nowi, Miriel, Lissa
Guys: Kellam, Vaike, Donnel, Ricken, Gregor, Frederick, Henry, Libra, and Me.

And of course there are all the children characters and the three special girls. I'm not really using Henry, Libra, and Fred all that much though.

Anna, Say'ri, and Tiki can only S-rank Male You.

Draxal

That, with the story, is my biggest fear about the game (europe). In fact I'm sur I won't like it as much as PoR/RD.
What's worse is, considering the japanese sales, anime style is here to stay. :|

Um PoR/RD was definitely very anime style, as is pretty much every game in this series.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
When should I start S ranking units together? I'd like to unlock most of the characters before I start pairing them up.

The kids can't be unlocked until units start getting S ranked with each other. You should have most of the non-kid units by the time you hit the
time skip

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So, after Ch 12 (I believe), a paralogue appeared in the middle of the ocean. That's not missable, is it? I don't want to know how to reach it, I just want to know if there is a time limit or an optimal time to reach it. Thanks!

So, after Ch 12 (I believe), a paralogue appeared in the middle of the ocean. That's not missable, is it? I don't want to know how to reach it, I just want to know if there is a time limit or an optimal time to reach it. Thanks!

Basically you just have to wait to unlock other paralogues or chapters that'll link to it to reach that paralogue. There's no time limit and its not missable. You are just too early to reach it.

kairiceres

Neo Member
I thought stat growths when leveling are random? I saved to a point where MU is about to level and keep resetting because I keep getting 1 stat gain. How does the RNG work in this game? Do I got to play the chapter all over again?

I thought stat growths when leveling are random? I saved to a point where MU is about to level and keep resetting because I keep getting 1 stat gain. How does the RNG work in this game? Do I got to play the chapter all over again?

Yeah, outcomes are randomized and then fixed in this Fire Emblem. It's like the GBA games, except you can't even waste Random Numbers to change the outcome in this game. If a unit misses next turn, that's what's going to happen, no matter who you pick to perform the action. It probably works the same with stat growths.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I've finished it this afternoon and I'm kind of down on this new fire emblem now. The last fire emblem I played was radiant dawn and I liked it so much better.

I guess I should have played it on Lunatic but on hard so many of the mechanics are just... broken and overpowered. I kind of stopped caring in the last 1/3 of the game and just stopped fielding an army. Instead choosing to send forth my sorcerer and watch youtube as all the enemies died attacking her.

I feel that rescue and shove offered interesting tactical possibilities with appropriate drawbacks while pairup is grossly overpowered. I don't like how reclassing and the children lets you make super units with virtually every ability you could possibly want. This could work, I guess, if the enemies actively did all this too. Where are the enemy sorcerers paired up with dark pegasi wielding nosferatu?

And I thought the skill system was a lot better in Radiant Dawn. I liked the mix of really powerful skills being tied to class while less gamechanging but still interesting skills could be freely swapped around.

But what I miss most is the variety of mission design with optional side objectives. There are many memorable missions in path of radiance/radiant dawn I recall without even having played them since their release. I can't recall a single memorable mission in this one even after having just played it.

I miss party xp which I felt was an appropriate answer to not being able to grind and worked well as a reward for optional objectives. In path of radiance I remember replaying the stealth prison break level a stupid number of times to ensure I beat it with every prisoner freed and never being spotted. Party xp was probably overpowered but I would rather stick with that concept and fine tune it than leave in grinding missions.

Also I miss feet.

Great cutscenes though. Overall I didn't hate it but I think its a pretty significant step down from PoR/RD.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've finished it this afternoon and I'm kind of down on this new fire emblem now. The last fire emblem I played was radiant dawn and I liked it so much better.

I guess I should have played it on Lunatic but on hard so many of the mechanics are just... broken and overpowered. I kind of stopped caring in the last 1/3 of the game and just stopped fielding an army. Instead choosing to send forth my sorcerer and watch youtube as all the enemies died attacking her.

I feel that rescue and shove offered interesting tactical possibilities with appropriate drawbacks while pairup is grossly overpowered. I don't like how reclassing and the children lets you make super units with virtually every ability you could possibly want. This could work, I guess, if the enemies actively did all this too. Where are the enemy sorcerers paired up with dark pegasi wielding nosferatu?

And I thought the skill system was a lot better in Radiant Dawn. I liked the mix of really powerful skills being tied to class while less gamechanging but still interesting skills could be freely swapped around.

But what I miss most is the variety of mission design with optional side objectives. There are many memorable missions in path of radiance/radiant dawn I recall without even having played them since their release. I can't recall a single memorable mission in this one even after having just played it.

I miss party xp which I felt was an appropriate answer to not being able to grind and worked well as a reward for optional objectives. In path of radiance I remember replaying the stealth prison break level a stupid number of times to ensure I beat it with every prisoner freed and never being spotted. Party xp was probably overpowered but I would rather stick with that concept and fine tune it than leave in grinding missions.

Also I miss feet.

Great cutscenes though. Overall I didn't hate it but I think its a pretty significant step down from PoR/RD.

I agree on most points. Especially party XP. It helped so much with bringing up units that may not have gotten much screen time, like archers or characters you just got. I also miss the Soldier class.

I do like units being able to help each other, but maybe pair up is too strong. Maybe only make it available with mounted classes and have it reduce movement by 1 space.

Ala Alba

They also had an associated cost, which I thought really added to the balance.

Completely forgot about party exp. I did like that addition a lot.

I think I would have preferred that to grinding the same map repeatedly to level up characters.

Don't get me wrong, Awakening is a fun game, but there are definitely aspects of its design that could be improved on.

slayn

I agree on most points. Especially party XP. It helped so much with bringing up units that may not have gotten much screen time, like archers or characters you just got. I also miss the Soldier class.

I do like units being able to help each other, but maybe pair up is too strong. Maybe only make it available with mounted classes and have it reduce movement by 1 space.
I think with extensive changes you could have a concept similar to pair up work but it would need to have enough drawbacks that it isn't always the right answer. And yeah I like the support/relationship stuff but I think it was acceptable to have all that be based on just standing next to each other.

I think having characters that support each other and standing next to each other giving bonuses like +10 hit/avoid and sometimes sneaking an extra attack in there is ok. But having one unit be 100% protected while also giving the unit in front massive stat boosts is just broken.

Draxal

I'll be honest, I didn't like PoR/Rod, the gameplay was just too slow, especially when it went for the epic grand story.

All the fire emblem stories kinda sucked except for Genealogy of the Holy War, it just works as a character based game instead of framing the story on the battles (because let's face it gameplay trumps story in this regard).

Lunar15

Radiant Dawn was all about min/maxing in an extremely short amount of time so that you weren't demolished by the time you got to levels where enemies could just warp and attack anyone, anywhere, and bosses could hurt everyone on your team instantly. I feel like it's a game only for people who REALLY loved PoR, and wanted to know more about that land, as well as see some interesting level designs based off of that world. Otherwise, it's an absolutely miserable game for newcomers.

My perfect Fire Emblem would really be a mix of PoR, RD, and Awakening. I was never that into the GBA ones.

Or Fire Emblem on Mars. C'mon Nintendo, do it. You know you want to.

NeonZ

As far as pair up goes, I kind of hope the next game integrates it even more. It'd be interesting if it were used as an excuse to effectively double the number of units deployed by the player. Maybe each character could have a pair up partner assigned before the mission, without the possibility to change it midway through...

Did you skip the child paralogues or something? They all had special design or optional objectives.

I don't like how reclassing and the children lets you make super units with virtually every ability you could possibly want. This could work, I guess, if the enemies actively did all this too. Where are the enemy sorcerers paired up with dark pegasi wielding nosferatu?

I really disagree on that point. If the game needed boring grinding to be beaten, it'd be horrible. As it is, the main campaign, even in lunatic, is designed to be finished by a player just going through story chapters like in an usual Fire Emblem, only now he can fall back into (more obvious) grinding and stuff if he gets stuck (after all, previous games still had things like the arena, or just boss abuse to get tons of experience outside of actual story battles), and it also has ton of optional battles available if he just wishes to use his end game party again, rather than starting yet another game.

slayn

Radiant Dawn was all about min/maxing in an extremely short amount of time so that you weren't demolished by the time you got to levels where enemies could just warp and attack anyone, anywhere, and bosses could hurt everyone on your team instantly. I feel like it's a game only for people who REALLY loved PoR, and wanted to know more about that land, as well as see some interesting level designs based off of that world. Otherwise, it's an absolutely miserable game for newcomers.

My perfect Fire Emblem would really be a mix of PoR, RD, and Awakening. I was never that into the GBA ones.
I'll be honest, PoR and RD have long since melded into my mind as a single game and I probably don't even know which things I loved came from which. I loved PoR and the nostalgia was probably running thick when RD came out. I have no idea if RD was a great game on its own but in my own little world where PoR and RD are a single connected game, it is my favorite strategy game to date.

Bah. Lost Lissa at the end of Chapter 21 by a bullshit reinforcement archer. I finished the level and saved to my second slot. Debating on if I should go back and save Lissa. She was my main healer.

I just really miss the bonus XP system. Not only did it make for a convenient way to level lower level characters, it made additional objectives on missions and incentives for beating maps in less turns possible, something this game sorely lacks. I don't feel any pressure to minimize the numer of turns I take, or play the most efficient way possible, and it hurts my enjoyment of the game.

slayn

As far as pair up goes, I kind of hope the next game integrates it even more. It'd be interesting if it were used as an excuse to effectively double the number of units deployed by the player. Maybe each character could have a pair up partner assigned before the mission, without the possibility to change it midway through...

Did you skip the child paralogues or something? They all had special design or optional objectives.

I really disagree on that point. If the game needed boring grinding to be beaten, it'd be horrible. As it is, the main campaign, even in lunatic, is designed to be finished by a player just going through story chapters like in an usual Fire Emblem, only now he can fall back into (more obvious) grinding and stuff if he gets stuck (after all, previous games still had things like the arena, or just boss abuse to get tons of experience outside of actual story battles), and it also has ton of optional battles available if he just wishes to use his end game party again, rather than starting yet another game.
I played 3 child paraloguess and looked in on 3 more but backed out before playing them. I don't recall seeing anything that stands out? Maybe I picked the boring parents?

Certainly not variety such as:
A level that can optionally be approached stealthily, with bonus objectives of freeing the prisoners
The invincible black knight hunting your ass down
A Mission where you have to get to the boss and kill him while not killing the units trying to kill you
Missions with fog of war at night
A mission where an npc army is marching along one pathway while your army marches along a disconnected area and you have to protect the npc army.
Or even a map that looks as interesting as this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/932999-fire-emblem-radiant-dawn/faqs/51354

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Blargh, finally achieved A/S rank with all gen I units with MU and only 3/4 more jobs to go through to get all skills. Being exhausted is tiring.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I played 3 child paraloguess and looked in on 3 more but backed out before playing them. I don't recall seeing anything that stands out? Maybe I picked the boring parents?

Certainly not variety such as:
A level that can optionally be approached stealthily, with bonus objectives of freeing the prisoners
The invincible black knight hunting your ass down
A Mission where you have to get to the boss and kill him while not killing the units trying to kill you
Missions with fog of war at night
A mission where an npc army is marching along one pathway while your army marches along a disconnected area and you have to protect the npc army.
Or even a map that looks as interesting as this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/932999-fire-emblem-radiant-dawn/faqs/51354

Oh man, I remember fog of war from blazing sword. That shit was scary, especially in a game with permadeath. I loved/hated it.

Gestahl

I'll be honest, PoR and RD have long since melded into my mind as a single game and I probably don't even know which things I loved came from which. I loved PoR and the nostalgia was probably running thick when RD came out. I have no idea if RD was a great game on its own but in my own little world where PoR and RD are a single connected game, it is my favorite strategy game to date.

RD is still a really fun game, but the thing is completely unhinged at its core. One minute you'll be barely scraping by with the loser brigade the next you're fielding 10 Greil Merc demigods who wade through half a dozen enemies each. Lots of fantastic maps though like the end of Elincia's campaign, that one defense map when Ike and co are on the retreat, and so on.

And no Sorceror abuse is still just as abusable on Lunatic. The endboss was the only thing that killed my Avatar between CH14-Endgame and that's only because he had half a dozen fucks around the map healing him. Still ended him once Chrom stopped fucking up with his dual attacks. I had to rename a forged Waste tome to CHROM WHY to get him the message.

Except this criticism does not apply because a character has a set number of classes they can be. It doesn't matter how many second seals you use, Chrom will never be able to be any classes other then Lord, Archer, Cavalier and their promoted forms. It gives characters more versatility, but doesn't make them the same.

You'll have to tell me where in my post I said that reclassing made all the characters the same (should be easy since you actually quoted the relevant language). I think that Awakening's reclassing is an improvement on FE11 and 12, which also did not let any character become any class but gave them a far more extensive (and arbitrary) range of options. The fact that Awakening tied class options to characters' personalities was a good thing. I just don't think it's as good as locking characters to one class line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom