• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

a merchant girl was in a random battle with me, does it matter that she died? Is there any penalty to this or anything?

No. If she had survived she'd have given you an item after the battle for free, often a stat booster or a Master/Second Seal, and would have appeared in the world map as a standard merchant afterwards, but that's it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Man, I haven't gotten any Risen encounters in three or four stages now. I'm on Hard and Reeking Boxes are cost prohibitive so c'mon, game, give me at least a little something.

Anteo

Man, I haven't gotten any Risen encounters in three or four stages now. I'm on Hard and Reeking Boxes are cost prohibitive so c'mon, game, give me at least a little something.

I noticed that after midnight, some risen respawn. I wonder if they spawn in a per day basis.

Soulhouf

I regret going for Wyvern Lord first when I promoted her. Should have done Griffon Rider. I'll probably end up reclassing her to Wyvern Lord when it's all said and done anyway just so she has the option for lances.

But yeah, I think I'm going for Griffon Rider now.

Oops, I meant Wyvern Lord. But you got it.

NeonZ

Spotpass opponents for experience, and a Leif Sword with a high luck character, or reclass a character to barbarian for the skill "Despoil" (both the Leif Sword and the skill can trigger random money drops based on the characters' luck) for money.

Esura

Banned
Florina battles carried my early game.

Alrighty, spent most of my morning leveling up the kids. They are now more powerful than their parents....except maybe Yarne (Panne/Lon'qu) and Nah (Nowi/Gregor). Dunno what happened there. Hero Severa seems to have the highest rating of the children, which is probably due to Donny.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I noticed that after midnight, some risen respawn. I wonder if they spawn in a per day basis.

I've been accessing the game at all hours of the day and night to see how many times I can get a world map refresh, and still nothing. Not even Annas. I suppose it's just bad luck, as I'm still getting new Barracks events regularly with each map refresh.

Your best option is SpotPass opponents.

Yeah, I'm probably just going to play the free DLC map a few times to make up for it. I've been trying not to grind unnecessarily, but I don't feel bad making up for an improbable lack of Risen.

GeekyDad

Looks like Donnel's max Luck is 48 for all of his promoted classes. What Skill(s)/weapon(s) will send him over that 50 mark?

scy

Pair him with someone. There's plenty of weapons with +Luck attached to them. There's also the +2 All Stats skill from the DLC you can use if you want.

Edit: I say "plenty" and I can't actually think of one besides Finn's Lance for the "easy" to acquire ones. Might just need to rely on Pair Up or +Stat Skills.

I've hit my Fire Emblem wall. I don't want to proceed any further in the main story until I pick up the kids, but all the paralogues are killing me. Especially Severa. WHY CAN'T YOU STAY IN ONE PLACE DAMMIT.

tumblr_miavteB9qq1qhhv13o1_500.jpg

It's things like this that make me wish I could have a bigger army so I could use Henry more often.

Wait, Lords don't get story-related auto-promotions in this one? Fuck, I need more master seals.

Well, considering you can make them not-lords with a second seal at any time in the game, it'd be kinda hard to add a story promotion tbh.

I've hit my Fire Emblem wall. I don't want to proceed any further in the main story until I pick up the kids, but all the paralogues are killing me. Especially Severa. WHY CAN'T YOU STAY IN ONE PLACE DAMMIT.

Owain and Morgan's are pretty easy, you should do those first and level up a little in the process.

Gestahl

Needs more Pargon.

I don't really care whether the regular missions are a challenge once you've got a broken team up and running, but I figured I'd need to be on Lunatic to justify even making one (the process of which is fun to me). And the later DLC maps sound pretty nasty.

Bear in mind this broken "team" was originally a level 10 Grandmaster with +Luck -Strength who happened to marry Chrom and had the CH13 shop open. Not exactly shooting for the stars there. At least Seth in Sacred Stones could be put in vague danger, the only time I've had to reset was when I was trying to drag Anna around on some of the treasure maps.

As for how they end up in a different world... Really, it could be anything. One of the Spotpass Paralogues has an enemy unit with the Sol Katti, so someone crossed between the two worlds at some point. Not to mention that there was an Anna who appeared as a character in FE7, not just menu lady.

Are we forgetting about the other-world gates, you guys? Maybe they can be used for more than just
time-travel
. FE7 had something similar to them too, which the dragons used when they were exiled. So according to FE7 at least one other world has them, which may or may not be Ylisse/Archanea. And then when we take Priam into consideration...

On an unrelated note, there's the edge of a continent at the bottom of the world map. I wonder if it matches with any of the coastlines from the other continents.

I cleared the main game earlier today. My opinion is not settled, and I imagine I'll like the game better when I've replayed it, but here are my initial thoughts:

Things I liked

1. Pair up - I thought this was a nice twist on the old rescue mechanic. The fact that it allowed you to bolster weak units opened up some interesting strategic possibilities. I wish it hadn't been quite so overpowered (to the point where you'd be crazy not to have all your units paired up in almost all circumstances), and I don't know that I'd want to see it return in future FE games, but I had a good time incorporating it into my battle plans.

2. Presentation - The music, movies, and artwork were all reasonably attractive. I don't need voicework or cinematics in my FE, but I certainly won't complain about it either. The menus worked well enough for me. Like a lot of people, I found the inventory management less intuitive than in recent FEs. On the other hand, it was definitely faster. I'm also grateful that IS ditched the pre-rendered art style from 11 and 12.

3. Support Conversations - This was the big surprise to me, because I normally don't care about support conversations. I didn't read them in other games, and I didn't miss them in Radiant Dawn. I was happy to supply my own ideas of who the characters were and how they related to one another. But I read a lot of the conversations in Awakening, and maybe a quarter of those were pretty enjoyable and added to my attachment to the characters.

4. Warnings about reinforcements - In a game with permadeath, I've always thought reinforcements introduced an unfortunate, trial and error element to the gameplay, especially on difficulty modes where they can act immediately. Awakening does a good job of defusing that issue by giving you a hint before reinforcements start to arrive (and making sure they come from predictable locations instead of random edges of the map).

Things I disliked
1. Reclassing - I think the complexities introduced by reclassing (optimizing stat/skill distributions) are still not worth the dilution of the party-planning aspect of the game. I like that in pre-reclassing FEs, if you lost or failed to raise a wyvern rider, that was it - you didn't get a wyvern rider. If for some reason you were fond of an archer, you'd better find a way to use him/her as an archer, because you couldn't just move him/her to a better class. Hard mode and Lunatic address my concerns by making XP and money (for second seals) rare enough that you need to have a plan for reclassing (unless you want to spotpass/DLC grind), but I'd still prefer the simplicity of locking characters to classes.

2. The story - IS has to do better. It's not acceptable to use the same basic plot in half the games in the series. And this may have been the laziest-ever FE in terms of world-building. I could not tell you where the borders are between the three countries on the main continent. Or even if there are only three countries on the main continent.

3. Boring mission design - Where are the "defend" and "escape" levels? In a game meant to celebrate the series as a whole, it's a shame that one of the best features of FE5/7/8/9/10 didn't make the cut.

4. Level layouts - They felt fairly plain and open compared to the levels in Path of Radiance, for example. What happened to the varied elevations from the 3D games? If they couldn't easily be replicated in a 2D game, then I would have expected at least the creative level design from Thracia 776. The paralogues were an improvement on the main chapters in this regard, but overall I was pretty disappointed.

Finally, a question about the epilogue (not a story spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway):
was anyone else bothered by the way the couples' stories were presented during the credits? I like that the game acknowledge the marriages, and I think it was probably good to describe each couple's joint future. But there was something disappointing about seeing many of the wives' getting about one line underneath an explanation of what their husbands were doing.

I hope (and expect) my opinion of the game will rise on subsequent playthroughs. For now, I'll slot it in above FE8, somewhere near the middle of my FE rankings.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Oh crap, 3 of my guys where whipped out during my last mission: Marth, Libra and the dancer :(

Sumia was close too, but Chrom defended her like a boss.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Things I liked

1. Pair up - and I don't know that I'd want to see it return in future FE games, but I had a good time incorporating it into my battle plans.
Totally agree, I very much enjoy pairing up because it ensures safety, and easy support raising, but a part of me misses making a bad move, and having a Pegasus knight swoop in to rescue and run away.
Things I disliked
1. Reclassing - I think the complexities introduced by reclassing (optimizing stat/skill distributions) are still not worth the dilution of the party-planning aspect of the game. I like that in pre-reclassing FEs, if you lost or failed to raise a wyvern rider, that was it - you didn't get a wyvern rider. If for some reason you were fond of an archer, you'd better find a way to use him/her as an archer, because you couldn't just move him/her to a better class.
I also love fixed classes; totally made units more unique. Although the option was also available in Shadow Dragon I totally dismissed it. With so many options this time, there are bound to be classes that are totally skipped like how Assassin>Swordmaster 99% of the time (imo).

GeekyDad

Another quick question:

Can you recruit
Aversa
in Chapter 25? I killed
her
. Hope I didn't screw myself for Paralogue 22 when it releases.

Owain and Morgan's are pretty easy, you should do those first and level up a little in the process.

Yeah, I've succeeded at Morgan, Owain, Kjelle, and Cynthia's. Severa, Nah, and Gerome are the ones giving me the most difficulty at the moment.

Use a rescue staff on Severa to keep her behind your units.

As soon as I complained about it, I had a boss runthough and completely annihilated the enemy. Using Rescue really helped, I completely forgot all about it since I never used it in the main chapters.

FEgaf, is it time to pick up this game?
How is it? are the free DLC's worth it? I need someone to convince me :(

I was so hyped for the game, but my backlog is keeping me from buying this game!!!

Chrom

Another quick question:

Can you recruit
Aversa
in Chapter 25? I killed
her
. Hope I didn't screw myself for Paralogue 22 when it releases.

Aversa is recruitable in one of the currently unreleased Bonus Maps via SpotPass. The point of that map is so that you can recruit her.

Didn't realize second seals bring a character back to level 1 while still mostly maintaining their stats. Never thought I'd see the day where a Fire Emblem game of all things has depth in its ability to grind.

Delio

Ive kinda slowed down on story progression. Waiting for the leveling DLC to come out so I can max people out. In the meantime I was beating up all the spotpass teams.

Nexas

Finally, a question about the epilogue (not a story spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway):
was anyone else bothered by the way the couples' stories were presented during the credits? I like that the game acknowledge the marriages, and I think it was probably good to describe each couple's joint future. But there was something disappointing about seeing many of the wives' getting about one line underneath an explanation of what their husbands were doing.

It's the opposite in the case of
Kellam. "Her husband's name was lost to history."
lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Didn't realize second seals bring a character back to level 1 while still mostly maintaining their stats. Never thought I'd see the day where a Fire Emblem game of all things has depth in its ability to grind.

This is why I've finally sort of come to terms with it being okay to grind in this game. The reclassing system is designed in such a way that you would need far more than the amount of EXP that you can get just in chapters/paralogues to be able to explore the system to its fullest. I agree with decoyplatypus' great post up the page that reclassing isn't exactly in the spirit of past FE games, which I suppose frees me from forcing myself to avoid other new features just to make it feel more like an "old" FE experience. At first I was planning never to grind DLC/Risen, promote at lv20 and never again, etc; but admittedly the reclassing system just seems too damned fun not to play around with.

edit: are Champions of Yore 2 and 3 worth the money, btw?

Gestahl

I cleared the main game earlier today. My opinion is not settled, and I imagine I'll like the game better when I've replayed it, but here are my initial thoughts:

Things I disliked
1. Reclassing - I think the complexities introduced by reclassing (optimizing stat/skill distributions) are still not worth the dilution of the party-planning aspect of the game. I like that in pre-reclassing FEs, if you lost or failed to raise a wyvern rider, that was it - you didn't get a wyvern rider. If for some reason you were fond of an archer, you'd better find a way to use him/her as an archer, because you couldn't just move him/her to a better class. Hard mode and Lunatic address my concerns by making XP and money (for second seals) rare enough that you need to have a plan for reclassing (unless you want to spotpass/DLC grind), but I'd still prefer the simplicity of locking characters to classes.

2. The story - IS has to do better. It's not acceptable to use the same basic plot in half the games in the series. And this may have been the laziest-ever FE in terms of world-building. I could not tell you where the borders are between the three countries on the main continent. Or even if there are only three countries on the main continent.

3. Boring mission design - Where are the "defend" and "escape" levels? In a game meant to celebrate the series as a whole, it's a shame that one of the best features of FE5/7/8/9/10 didn't make the cut.

4. Level layouts - They felt fairly plain and open compared to the levels in Path of Radiance, for example. What happened to the varied elevations from the 3D games? If they couldn't easily be replicated in a 2D game, then I would have expected at least the creative level design from Thracia 776. The paralogues were an improvement on the main chapters in this regard, but overall I was pretty disappointed.[/spoiler]

I hope (and expect) my opinion of the game will rise on subsequent playthroughs. For now, I'll slot it in above FE8, somewhere near the middle of my FE rankings.

Yeah this has definitely been one of the weaker entries I've played. A shitty story or uninspired level design on its own is more than enough of a huge negative, but the combination of the two drags the game down a ton. Also not a fan of how they drifted from a army of soldiers with some bizarre quirks and a few oddball standouts to the pure distilled anime 80% of the characters here end up being (one of the child characters is literally just every bullet point of Tsundere wrapped up into one set of twintails).

Roto13

edit: are Champions of Yore 2 and 3 worth the money, btw?

They're good for grinding relationships and CoY3 gives you a pretty handy skill that you can give to everyone (All Stats +2). I think you need to buy 2 to be able to buy 3. I'd say they're worth it for the $4 the bundle costs right now, but they won't be worth the $5 it'll cost to buy them when the bundle stops being free.

are Champions of Yore 2 and 3 worth the money, btw?

I would say, "no." They play out on the same map as Champions of Yore 1, and although they have different enemy arrangements, the content is pretty much the same.

Someone please give me their best suggestions for marriage matches.

One playthrough isn't enough for me to hazard a guess at best matches, but one bit of general advice is that you should arrange your marriages to maximize the children's access to galeforce (the obscenely overpowered skill that lets you act again after killing an enemy). Moms who can't obtain gale force themselves (Tharja, for example) should marry male characters who will pass down that class line.

Things I liked

1. Pair up - I thought this was a nice twist on the old rescue mechanic. The fact that it allowed you to bolster weak units opened up some interesting strategic possibilities. I wish it hadn't been quite so overpowered (to the point where you'd be crazy not to have all your units paired up in almost all circumstances), and I don't know that I'd want to see it return in future FE games, but I had a good time incorporating it into my battle plans.

2. Presentation - The music, movies, and artwork were all reasonably attractive. I don't need voicework or cinematics in my FE, but I certainly won't complain about it either. The menus worked well enough for me. Like a lot of people, I found the inventory management less intuitive than in recent FEs. On the other hand, it was definitely faster. I'm also grateful that IS ditched the pre-rendered art style from 11 and 12.

3. Support Conversations - This was the big surprise to me, because I normally don't care about support conversations. I didn't read them in other games, and I didn't miss them in Radiant Dawn. I was happy to supply my own ideas of who the characters were and how they related to one another. But I read a lot of the conversations in Awakening, and maybe a quarter of those were pretty enjoyable and added to my attachment to the characters.

4. Warnings about reinforcements - In a game with permadeath, I've always thought reinforcements introduced an unfortunate, trial and error element to the gameplay, especially on difficulty modes where they can act immediately. Awakening does a good job of defusing that issue by giving you a hint before reinforcements start to arrive (and making sure they come from predictable locations instead of random edges of the map).

Things I disliked

4. Level layouts - They felt fairly plain and open compared to the levels in Path of Radiance, for example. What happened to the varied elevations from the 3D games? If they couldn't easily be replicated in a 2D game, then I would have expected at least the creative level design from Thracia 776. The paralogues were an improvement on the main chapters in this regard, but overall I was pretty disappointed.

Pretty much agree with you on everything. Still really like the game despite the flaws, but maybe thats cause its been a while since we've had a new FE.

NeonZ

Looks like Donnel's max Luck is 48 for all of his promoted classes. What Skill(s)/weapon(s) will send him over that 50 mark?

The only skill that can do that is the +2 all stats from the Micaiah DLC. Luck +4 is a dancer skill, so he can't learn it. Like other people have said, you can just pair him up too and get some luck bonuses from that.

As far as lack of alternate mission objectives go, (At least besides the optional ones in the paralogues), FE6, another attempt at a series rebirth, also lacked them. I think they might have been absent here due to the whole "good for newcomers" aspect of the game.

I really like Awakening. My only problem with it is some of the unbalance that could have been easily fixed, like a certain dark tome... Compared to the last few games, its been a while since we got a game that just took the series forward, without randomly removing elements from the last titles. Awakening still misses some features from past FEs, but they're mostly ones that weren't even in the last two games.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How does using a second seal on a level 30 special class character impact their "internal level?" I assume it would be level 1, plus 20 from promotion, then an internal level of 14 from the second seal. If so I wonder if it's even worth it to do that, seems like you're better off reclassing sooner to other base classes since it doesn't impact your internal level quite as negatively (relative to the actual number of levels gained), plus it nets you some extra skills from other base classes.

Especially if you don't care about the second special class skill, then you can actually level up faster since using the second seal at level 10 then going to 20 means you're looking at an effective level of 24 when you're ready to promote instead of 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom