• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
While there could be more mission variety, I'm glad there's no fog of war. I hate that shit. In every genre, I dislike arbitrarily not being able to see. I don't like it in New Super Mario Bros with the lamps and darkness levels, and I especially don't like it in strategy games.

Fog of War to me is just a guaranteed first mission failure. I have to play the level again once I know where people are coming from.

While there could be more mission variety, I'm glad there's no fog of war. I hate that shit. In every genre, I dislike arbitrarily not being able to see. I don't like it in New Super Mario Bros with the lamps and darkness levels, and I especially don't like it in strategy games.

Fog of War to me is just a guaranteed first mission failure. I have to play the level again once I know where people are coming from.

You must hate XCOM.

Gestahl

Fog of war is fine as long as it doesn't pull that ridiculous Sacred Stones shit where it spawned two dozen eyes and gargoyles+boss and set them all upon you once you were barely done cleaning up the ghost ship.

NeonZ

I think that Awakening's reclassing is an improvement on FE11 and 12, which also did not let any character become any class but gave them a far more extensive (and arbitrary) range of options.

Actually, FE12 eventually gave free reclassing per gender as an unlockable feature, merging both sets of male classes into 1... Another point in favor of the reclassing in Awakening is that it's much more weighty. Yeah, if you're grinding you'll eventually get every class and skill you want, but it's still a much longer and more weighty process than just freely changing the class of each character before any chapter.

Also, if you dislike grinding, Lunatic pretty much forbids it anyway. Spotpass battles give no experience, and Risen are all at end game level of power. So, grinding mostly just isn't an option in the main game until you're basically in the final chapter. The only opportunity for grinding is paid DLC...

I played 3 child paraloguess and looked in on 3 more but backed out before playing them. I don't recall seeing anything that stands out? Maybe I picked the boring parents?

Certainly not variety such as:
A level that can optionally be approached stealthily, with bonus objectives of freeing the prisoners
The invincible black knight hunting your ass down
A Mission where you have to get to the boss and kill him while not killing the units trying to kill you
Missions with fog of war at night
A mission where an npc army is marching along one pathway while your army marches along a disconnected area and you have to protect the npc army.
Or even a map that looks as interesting as this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/932999-fire-emblem-radiant-dawn/faqs/51354

Well, some of the optional objectives or special features in the paralogues:

Give one level to the weak character to obtain him
Rush to protect a village on the other side of the map and the person protecting it.
Protect villagers sent away from village while they run towards enemy troops.
Go after hints from various hidden desert villages to find a hidden desert treasure (one village points to the next one, eventually leading the player to the prize, as opposed to PoR's and Radiant Dawn's, well most previous FE's, "lol go read a guide to find good item/character in the desert" approach).
Join one of two rival mercenary groups and defeat the other, or fight against both.
Open the way to a npc character while she advances through an enemy fortress to talk to a villager recruited by the enemy, while enemy reinforcements and more keep coming.
Advance through a haunted mansion with moving walls and magic artillery...
Advance through enemy troops to rescue captured prisoner before she's executed...

I'll concede that Radiant Dawn was pretty original with some of the level concepts there, especially the ones involving large numbers of npcs (like the first and last part 3 maps), but really, Radiant Dawn suffered from completely different issues, like the horrible availability of some characters and experience/level distribution, which resulted in things like chapters focused on Ike's party suddenly making the difficulty of the game drop very quickly, and many Dawn Brigade characters ending up with little space to level up, unless the player specifically focused on them - for little benefit too, compared to Ike's party. Then, you had the king laguz making the other ones completely pointless in the end game...

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Fog of war is fine as long as it doesn't pull that ridiculous Sacred Stones shit where it spawned two dozen eyes and gargoyles+boss and set them all upon you once you were barely done cleaning up the ghost ship.
oh man... yeah ok. While I think fog of war can work I never want to see that level ever again.

You'll have to tell me where in my post I said that reclassing made all the characters the same

"I like that in pre-reclassing FEs, if you lost or failed to raise a wyvern rider, that was it - you didn't get a wyvern rider. If for some reason you were fond of an archer, you'd better find a way to use him/her as an archer, because you couldn't just move him/her to a better class."

GSR

I think I'm going to wind up second sealing Henry from Sorcerer back to Sorcerer once he hits 20. The man is a god with dark tomes.

Plus his dialogue is just gold.

Roto13

I think I'm going to wind up second sealing Henry from Sorcerer back to Sorcerer once he hits 20. The man is a god with dark tomes.

Plus his dialogue is just gold.

He never needs to stop being a Sorcerer. You can second seal him from Sorcerer to Sorcerer and reset his level.

Tookay

I played 3 child paraloguess and looked in on 3 more but backed out before playing them. I don't recall seeing anything that stands out? Maybe I picked the boring parents?

Certainly not variety such as:
A level that can optionally be approached stealthily, with bonus objectives of freeing the prisoners
The invincible black knight hunting your ass down
A Mission where you have to get to the boss and kill him while not killing the units trying to kill you
Missions with fog of war at night
A mission where an npc army is marching along one pathway while your army marches along a disconnected area and you have to protect the npc army.
Or even a map that looks as interesting as this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/932999-fire-emblem-radiant-dawn/faqs/51354

Well said. RD had some really awesome level design. (I really liked the big battles with NPCs too.)

"I like that in pre-reclassing FEs, if you lost or failed to raise a wyvern rider, that was it - you didn't get a wyvern rider. If for some reason you were fond of an archer, you'd better find a way to use him/her as an archer, because you couldn't just move him/her to a better class."

So you've now quoted my statement twice, and neither time did it say what you claimed it said. Unless you're arguing that reclassing in Awakening doesn't allow you to move archers into other classes or to replace a lost wyvern rider with a cavalier or a taguel who can turn into a wyvern rider. Granted, Awakening's "replacement" possibilities are not substantially larger than in previous games that just gave you 2 or 3 units of each class, but it is easier to lateral a fully-raised unit than to build up a character you'd otherwise abandoned.

Actually, FE12 eventually gave free reclassing per gender... Another point in favor of the reclassing in Awakening is that it's much more weighty. Yeah, if you're grinding you'll eventually get every class and skill you want, but it's still a much longer and more weighty process than just freely changing the class of each character before any chapter.

Oh, I completely agree on this point. I prefer the Awakening's approach if for no other reason than because on Hard Mode and beyond, second seals will be hard enough to come by that you will want to plan out their use well in advance.

And yes, FE12 did eventually let you unlock the class limits, which was helpful for beating the highest difficulties but not so good for the overall game design, in my opinion.

Also, if you dislike grinding, Lunatic pretty much forbids it anyway. Spotpass battles give no experience, and Risen are all at end game level of power. So, grinding mostly just isn't an option in the main game until you're basically in the final chapter. The only opportunity for grinding is paid DLC...

Sounds good to me. As I said before, many of my complaints carry less weight on Hard Mode (which is the only one I've finished), but I think it's a problem when you have to play on advanced difficulty modes for key game features to function well.

Actually, I'm on a Lunatic run with Chapters/Paralogues only. I really need to visit a shop to get a Beaststone (Panne is married to Kellam). But there's a Risen that appeared over that shop, and I refuse to go beat the Risen to get access to the shop again.

I did see how the levels for that Risen are, and it's at the point that I could easily run through it or "grind" it. However, a Paralogue just opened up (Rival Bands) and, wow, those units are really levelled beyond where I'm at right now. So you can't even play all the Paralogues right away on Lunatic.

TWILT

Banned
Geez, my Sully only has 14 STR at level 20 (not promoted yet). Is that normal for her, or is the RNG screwing me over? >_>;

NeonZ

So you can't even play all the Paralogues right away on Lunatic.

That can happen on Hard too. There are children paralogue with only promoted enemies, much higher level than the story chapters at that point, that can open up right after chapter 13 if you have some specific pairings ready... It's my one complaint with how this game handled the chapter distribution. They become doable after you advance through the story some more, but there's no way to check what are the easier and what are the higher level paralogues without actually starting the pre-battle screen at least.

They aren't even ordered by numbers of anything. IIRC, Paralogue 7 is one of the all promoted ones, but there are several higher numbered paralogues with lower leveled enemies...

ohlawd

kinda OT.... is Path of Radiance required to play Radiant Dawn? I might be able to borrow RD from a friend but he doesn't have PoR.

kinda OT.... is Path of Radiance required to play Radiant Dawn? I might be able to borrow RD from a friend but he doesn't have PoR.

Not especially. I believe they summarize the events and such pretty well in Radiant Dawn about Path of Radiance and the bonuses you can for having a cleared file of PoR aren't that game changing anyway.

Gestahl

RD is a direct sequel so you'll probably have a harder time caring about a lot of the plot since most of it rests on your investment in the world and some PoR data carries over (unit caps a stat in PoR gets a +2 bonus or whatever in RD), otherwise it's fine.

I would not recommend playing RD without playing PoR first. The story is a direct sequel, lots of the character arcs carry over from PoR, and the RD's normal difficulty is much harder than PoR's, so it helps to have a good handle on PoR first.

EDIT: I should clarify that I agree with other posters that it is not mandatory to play PoR first. You will understand the plot well enough, but there is much more payoff if you already know the world and characters.

Anteo

No, I played it many times and I've never played Path of Radiance. The story is easier to undestand if you do play PoR first (or do a second replay of RD). Also you can import some stat bonuses and other things from PoR to RD

They probably don't expect you to grind your way to all of the children as soon as the option opens up. :p

They still do a terrible job indicating which paralogues are the more difficult ones. Some can be played much earlier than others, you won't know which ones are which until you start the mission. They should have numbered them based on relative difficulty.

Javier

Kellam's line in the Golden Gaffe DLC map:

"If you lot have been stealing from everyone, why'd you leave my gold? It's sitting right in my tent! In a bag with the word "GOLD" on the side! Gosh, even my wallet lacks presence..."

BWAHAHAHAHA!! This stuff is priceless...

Esura

Banned
They probably don't expect you to grind your way to all of the children as soon as the option opens up. :p

I had no problem with the Paralouges.

Then again...I had every single unit that wasn't a waste of space like Olivia promoted and five or so levels into their ranks after the two year time skip so when they opened up I got wrecked a few times cause I went in with just anyone to level up supports but once I used my main team I got mostly all the kids.

I got (excluding Lucina) Cynthia, Severa, Kjelle, Sword Hands Owain, Gerome, and Nah so far. I need to get Maribelle's kid but I can't reach the map for some reason so I got to pass on it for now. Wonder who else I need.

EDIT: Ok, whats up with these pics of Lucina and Tharja in bikinis? Is this some sort of DLC?

Totakeke

Almost done with the campaign on hard, and I don't really get why this game scored so much better than the previous Fire Emblem games which are much more enjoyable experiences. Throwing the children paralogues in the middle, which basically pushes you towards overlevelling your characters for the main campaign, really throws the pace off the game.

Actually, I bet it's the waifu factor.

Gestahl

Almost done with the campaign on hard, and I don't really get why this game scored so much better than the previous Fire Emblem games which are far more enjoyable experiences.

Imagine the score if it had Mii integration!/IGN

PK Gaming

Kellam's line in the Golden Gaffe DLC map:

"If you lot have been stealing from everyone, why'd you leave my gold? It's sitting right in my tent! In a bag with the word "GOLD" on the side! Gosh, even my wallet lacks presence..."

BWAHAHAHAHA!! This stuff is priceless...

I love this game to death

Esura

Banned
Almost done with the campaign on hard, and I don't really get why this game scored so much better than the previous Fire Emblem games which are much more enjoyable experiences. Throwing the children paralogues in the middle, which basically pushes you towards overlevelling your characters for the main campaign, really throws the pace off the game.

Not gonna lie, didn't care about the Fire Emblem series at all until I read about the marriage stuff (also the casual mode). Its the aspect of the game I put the most hours in as well. That and the support stuff but I figure the support stuff was in other FE games. I really like all these characters. Feels like a SRPG version of Tales of and support convos are skits. I love it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

I think it's all the additional content, like the paralogues, DLC, Spotpass, voice-acting, etc. which makes it feel like more of a bang for your buck. The main game is weaker, perhaps, but there's lots of little extras to make up for that, imo. And for a casual audience, which the journalists are writing for, as opposed to hardcore FE fans, that's probably what influences their rating.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Why can't Dark Fliers and Dark Knights use dark magic? Very disappointing. =(

^ I agree. The story is not the best, but it's not horrible either. Pretty neutral. It's strength is just how much content there is. So many possibilities in terms of class composition, supports, characters, etc. And lots of Paralogues and Spotpass is great, too.

tuffy

Ahhhhh, I am so overlevelled! That's it, no more paralogues or side stuff of any kind until this becomes challenging again.
I discovered the same thing when one of my pegasus knights slaughtered chapter 11's boss in a single attack without meaning to. I'd been compulsively going through the paralogues and random encounters as they'd pop up because I liked the battles. But now, even at normal difficulty, the missions aren't as stressful as they're supposed to be.

Did you guys do the paralogues before or after finishing the main campaign? I'm finding them significantly more difficult than the campaign (though still beatable), suggesting an order...

Moonlight

Banned
If we all wanted to be honest with ourselves, that's not entirely untrue. Anna for life, y'all.

But I think it scored so much better with Fire Emblems simply because it's a lot more accessible than so many other Fire Emblem games. It's pretty obvious a few are bemoaning the infinite experience and reclassing, but Awakening is undeniably much easier to pick up and play because of it. It's got pretty smartly integrated tutorials, information on what skills and stats mean are readily available and everything about the mechanics feels streamlined and to the point, with a good level of depth (and a lot of content) still accessible if you dig for it (how much depth relative to other FE games being another argument entirely).

All that, alongside new options like Casual mode, I imagine, kept Awakening from scaring away too many reviewers.

It helps that this is the biggest title that the 3DS has seen in a long time.

Esura

Banned
Did you guys do the paralogues before or after finishing the main campaign? I'm finding them significantly more difficult than the campaign (though still beatable), suggesting an order...

I did mines like right after you get Chrom's kid. Then again, I was already quite a bit overleveled ahead of time because of Florina and Reeaking Boxes. And the levels I got from those Paralogues only made me more OP.

Busaiku

So I reclassed Frederick to a Paladin, instead of a starter unit, was that a bad idea?
I also had Olivia go straight Dark Flier too.

NeonZ

Guys, FE Shadow Dragon isn't that bad is it?

It's very basic gameplay and story-wise, because it's directly based on the original NES game and the original remake it had gotten with FE3, with only few added mechanics from later titles on top of that. And, most of the completely new additions, like class changing and having to lose characters to go to side-story chapters are rather iffy...

I like it in spite of that, but, I got into FE through the Japanese-only FE3, not any of the modern games.

EDIT: Ok, whats up with these pics of Lucina and Tharja in bikinis? Is this some sort of DLC?

Yes, there was a "Otherworld Resort" DLC series with 3 maps released in Japan a few months after the game was out, as part of a second series of DLC.

There was a festival map, a beach one and a hot springs map. They're mostly focused on adding tons of extra support-like dialogue between the characters, 200 in total, but the second and third map also added 4 special illustrated scenes (2 men, 2 women in each map, based on a Japanese popularity ranking). They wear binikis or swimming trunks in the beach map and yukata in the hot springs one.

The Lucina art was just some art shown during the announcement of the second set of DLC, it isn't actually in the DLC. She gets a special scene in the hot springs map, so she's shown wearing a yukata, not a bikini. The characters with special scenes:

Beach - Chrom, Gaius, Tharja and Cordelia

Spa - Owain, Inigo, Lucina, Severa

In addition, the beach map has an 3d model swap effect on sorcerers, which get to wear trunks or bikinis there, while the hot springs map has the Swordmasters wearing yukatas.

By the time you finish the Valm story chapters, you should be ready to go through most paralogues. The easier ones (with only a few promoted units and most still unpromoted) can be finished as soon as they appear though. Unless you're on lunatic. In that case, going through them all only after Valm might be a better idea.

Moonlight

Banned
I've actually spent fifty two hours in this game so far just grinding and doing all the paralogues for the kids. My progress has been going laterally since I got to Chapter 13, like, a week and a half ago. Severa has her HP, Skill, Strength, and Speed maxed out by now as a Hero, with a stat total of 267. Lucina, Cynthia, Owain, and Morgan are nipping at her heels with stat totals ranging from 248 to 259.

I'm finally starting the main story and it's already an utter breeze. Hard mode is probably gonna be more my speed when I get to a second playthrough, lol.

EDIT:

So can i keep giving my characters different classes and they will continue earning stats?
They'll keep earning stats as long as the stat caps for that class allows for it. Every class has a certain cap where a stat can't be raised any further than a certain value. You'll know this when you see a stat value in green. If what you're looking for the highest stats possible for a character, I'd use this table.

Guys, FE Shadow Dragon isn't that bad is it?

It's ok as a Fire Emblem game, it just lacks a lot of the characterization other FE games have. There are no support convos, characters basically look the same in battle and the conditions to get the sidequests are pretty against normal FE standards of not letting people die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom