• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

So I reclassed Frederick to a Paladin, instead of a starter unit, was that a bad idea?

That's the ideal way to do it. Generally speaking, just Second Seal from a Promoted class into another. You won't really get much stat-wise out of the base classes.

I also had Olivia go straight Dark Flier too.

Also the best way to do it. The only reason people go to Mercenary with Donnel is because of Armsthrift.

I've actually spent fifty two hours in this game so far just grinding and doing all the paralogues for the kids. My progress has been going laterally since I got to Chapter 13, like, a week and a half ago. Severa has her HP, Skill, Strength, and Speed maxed out by now as a Hero, with a stat total of 267. Lucina, Cynthia, Owain, and Morgan are nipping at her heels with stat totals ranging from 248 to 259.

I'm finally starting the main story and it's already an utter breeze. Hard mode is probably gonna be more my speed when I get to a second playthrough, lol.

This is what I did. Put the main story on hold till I grinded classes and supports for all my couples, then got all the kids, then grinded all of them until they had the remaining skills I wanted for them.

Then completely breezed through the story mode. Felt like I was doing a disservice to the game, usually in FE the challenge is pretty constant throughout the game, but all the grinding completely destroyed that.

I'm on a hard playthrough now and I don't plan on grinding especially since reeking boxes cost like 4800g on hard mode. That way I'm hoping I can maintain the challenge that older FE's offered.

Esura

Banned
Yes, there was a "Otherworld Resort" DLC series with 3 maps released in Japan a few months after the game was out, as part of a second series of DLC.

There was a festival map, a beach one and a hot springs map. They're mostly focused on adding tons of extra support-like dialogue between the characters, 200 in total, but the second and third map also added 4 special illustrated scenes (2 men, 2 women in each map, based on a Japanese popularity ranking). They wear binikis or swimming trunks in the beach map and yukata in the hot springs one.

The Lucina art was just some art shown during the announcement of the second set of DLC, it isn't actually in the DLC. She gets a special scene in the hot springs map, so she's shown wearing a yukata, not a bikini. The characters with special scenes:

Beach - Chrom, Gaius, Tharja and Cordelia

Spa - Owain, Inigo, Lucina, Severa

In addition, the beach map has an 3d model swap effect on sorcerers, which get to wear trunks or bikinis there, while the hot springs map has the Swordmasters wearing yukatas.

I would so buy that faster than you can say "Starlight Breaker!"...but for some reason I reeeeeeeallly doubt Nintendo is going to bring over bikini DLCs.

And Tharja, Lucina, Cordy, and Severa are the most popular females?

Frosteey

Neo Member
Letting people die to get bonus chapters in Shadow Dragon is kind of overblown since half of the characters you get are barely distinguishable from a faceless generic unit anyway.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What are the easiest kid paralouges?

Owain and Sully's kid (forgot her name, the knight) were easy enough, but when I tried the Brady and Inigo chapters, despite being numbered lower, I got killed pretty easily. :/

zroid

Banned
It'd be nice to have an ETA on that stuff for western release.

...because of the support conversations, I mean.

I would so buy that faster than you can say "Starlight Breaker!"...but for some reason I reeeeeeeallly doubt Nintendo is going to bring over bikini DLCs.

They definitely will

A bit sad we likely won't be able to participate in any kind of vote for new content, but ah well

Rarutos

And Tharja, Lucina, Cordy, and Severa are the most popular females?

Nah, the Avatar is more popular than the other girls except Lucina, and Cherche and Tiki beat out Severa. Severa is just the second most popular child female character!

Here's the results of the poll, if you're interested.

Letting people die to get bonus chapters in Shadow Dragon is kind of overblown since half of the characters you get are barely distinguishable from a faceless generic unit anyway.

While true, it is still pretty much goes against the whole Let No One Die mentality I grown used to from earlier FEs. And the other option is pretty much never do the sidequests in the game, which is pretty much what I did.

I can't imagine playing this game without the downloadable content on lunatic to grind.. just random world spawns plus the side quests and main chapters would be hard as hell

NeonZ

One of the characters is only accessible after losing
Tiki
though, and another requires killing an extra character during the prologue, where everyone has lines. Really, it's just an odd design decision in general... Nothing in the game points to that, and it goes against basic logic that keeping your units alive is good.

It seems like it was a misguided attempt at keeping the original game "intact". If you did a perfect playthrough, and avoided some of the optional battle conversations, you basically could ignore all the extra content they had added and see just an updated version of the original chapters and characters, without a single extra line of dialogue or new character... which is a completely stupid concept.

Really, thankfully, New Mystery seemed to show that they realized they had made a mistake, even if they were still stuck with that engine for one more game (and Awakening itself seems to still have inherited several aspects from Shadow Dragon- both visually, like the generic faction colors and gameplay-wise, like the lack of light magic and weapon weight- well, this is actually from New Mystery...).

I had no problem with the Paralouges.

Then again...I had every single unit that wasn't a waste of space like Olivia promoted and five or so levels into their ranks after the two year time skip so when they opened up I got wrecked a few times cause I went in with just anyone to level up supports but once I used my main team I got mostly all the kids.

I got (excluding Lucina) Cynthia, Severa, Kjelle, Sword Hands Owain, Gerome, and Nah so far. I need to get Maribelle's kid but I can't reach the map for some reason so I got to pass on it for now. Wonder who else I need.

What?

Olivia is one of the best units in the game and one of the few people that actually can be useful on a Lunatic/Lunatic+ playthrough if you take the time to do so.

All you have to do is trap a single enemy (archer) from attacking and you can basically dance your way to a lvl30 Dancer. Then if you reclass her back into a Dancer again and do the same thing until around/above lv20 and change her once more to a Assassin/Swordmaster, you've obtained an extremely strong unit that can help you against those monsters in Lunatic+.

All of which you can do in a single map.

Esura

Banned
They definitely will

A bit sad we likely won't be able to participate in any kind of vote for new content, but ah well

I just want to see Tharja in a bikini and Lucina in a yukata in 3D.

My two favorites!

Nah, the Avatar is more popular than the other girls except Lucina, and Cherche and Tiki beat out Severa. Severa is just the second most popular child female character!

Here's the results of the poll, if you're interested.

Is Tiki some post game character? Cause she is the only female character on there I have zero clue who they are.

And why is Cherche so popular? Cause she is a maid flying on a Wyvern?

I can't imagine playing this game without the downloadable content on lunatic to grind.. just random world spawns plus the side quests and main chapters would be hard as hell

I don't see myself ever playing Lunatic. It sounds just as its name implies going by some of the posts in the thread and screw that. I would prefer to not snap my 3DS in half.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Beat it again at 31 hours. Love this game so much.

It'd be nice to have an ETA on that stuff for western release.

...because of the support conversations, I mean.

Yeah, an ETA would be nice. You can even see Anna in a bikini ;)

Esura

Banned
What?

Olivia is one of the best units in the game and one of the few people that actually can be useful on a Lunatic/Lunatic+ playthrough if you take the time to do so.

All you have to do is trap a single enemy (archer) from attacking and you can basically dance your way to a lvl30 Dancer. Then if you reclass her back into a Dancer again and do the same thing until around/above lv20 and change her once more to a Assassin/Swordmaster, you've obtained an extremely strong unit that can help you against those monsters in Lunatic+.

All of which you can do in a single map.

That seems easier said than done, especially since all my units one shot archers no matter the range.

NeonZ

Nowi: "I met a new dragon friend! His name was... Banta? Banter?! Wait, what was it?"

omg what

It's likely referencing Bantu from Shadow Dragon:
http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Bantu

I guess it's kind of surprising that he's still alive though... Why does IS hate male Manaketes anyway?

Is Tiki some post game character? Cause she is the only female character on there I have zero clue who they are.

What? Tiki appears during one of the Valm chapters in the main story. She joins the party in a paralogue though, so she doesn't have much story presence after her initial appearances.

That seems easier said than done, especially since all my units one shot archers no matter the range.
All you really have to do is make sure the enemy Archer(or a healer) is the last enemy unit on a map, unequip any 4 units and surround him on all 4 sides (or trap him against a wall with 2), and your good to go.

It should take maybe over 20 minutes if you take off the Battle Animation.

Esura

Banned
^ I didn't think about unequiping....lol

He means put 4 units around an archer so it can't attack.

I know. Right now that's not too easy since it seems like every enemy has a death wish. I can literally clear a map full of promoted units in the double digits right now without doing a single action, just skipping turns and I'm only on Chapter 14.

They'll probably try to attack me and get counter attacked faster than me cornering them.

Easier than trapping an archer is doing a mission with a healer and killing everyone but the healer.

Enemies have healers?

If you are having trouble finding a map with healers, just summon Moulder's spotpass team, kill everyone expect Moulder and dance your way to level 30. Serra's spotpass team works well depending on which gender healer you want to kill off after all that dancing.

Esura

Banned
If you are having trouble finding a map with healers, just summon Moulder's spotpass team, kill everyone expect Moulder and dance your way to level 30. Serra's spotpass team works well depending on which gender healer you want to kill off after all that dancing.

Thanks, I'm gonna try that.

Now I have to plan who she is gonna hook up with. Much of the male cast is on lock right now so I might give her Libra or something.

Totakeke

Well, the game is still great since I wasted more than 40 hours on it already.

I was contemplating playing Lunatic then thought what's the point if you just have to grind to win it?

Chapter 10 with all the rain looks SOOOO good. The 3D effect is damn near perfect during the battle animations. Just the way stuff reflects off the water on the ground and stuff is great.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Chapter 10 with all the rain looks SOOOO good. The 3D effect is damn near perfect during the battle animations. Just the way stuff reflects off the water on the ground and stuff is great.

It's going to feel so weird to go back to the look of older FE games because of how great the subtle 3D was implemented on the maps in this. It's a shame that Awakening doesn't have a wide variety of topography or map design because now I'm continually imagining what could have been. Can you imagine fog of war in 3D?

The chapter that was basically three flat surfaces on an ascending slope was probably the coolest-looking.

L Thammy

I'm stuck on Paralogue 2 in Hard mode. Anna keep dying before I can reach her.

To break through to her, I've been using Lon'qu, Miriel+Rick and Stahl. They can't get there quickly enough.

I figure that I could use Lissa with a Rescue staff, but Sumia's the only flier I have. Archers kill her in one hit.

Esura

Banned
Not if you use the DLC.

The EXP gains are the same?

Nowi is at number ten, Anna is at number thirteen. Cynthia is all the way back in sixteenth place. Nowi is at number ten. Japan, I'm disappointed.

I'm surprised about that. Figured Nowi would of been in the top 5 or 3.

Godammt Cynthia stop dying.
How can I recruit her. She keeps attacking Chrom and dying.

Use Sumia, move up the map but slightly out of her range. Then next turn use Sumia to talk to her. You can use the mothers to talk to the kids too and the dialog is much better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom