• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

Whelp, story complete. What a thoroughly satisfying 3DS gaming experience, in spite of a story that is pretty awful at times. Only regret is I forgot to reset Donnel's Hero class before the final battle, so he got zero experience for that, since he was level 20.

This is also probably the only 3DS game I've owned where I couldn't turn the 3D off. It just looks and works so good for this game. I really enjoyed it in other games, but there was usually too much action (OoT, Revelations, SWC) to make it practical. But it really fits this genre.

Time for Lunatic. And maybe a return to Radiant Dawn. Need to finish that one.

zroid

Banned
Actually, a modern FE also was one of the ideas they threw around for Awakening, before deciding to just go fantasy again but with different designs...

I wonder if they actually called in Atlus to develop those concepts and/or prototypes into a full-fledged game, and that was how the crossover idea came to fruition. I hope so, because I really think they were onto something with "Fire Emblem 2011", and Atlus might house the only developers who could pull it off without the execution being too hokey.

If this is the case, my guess would be Atlus is doing the legwork and scenario design, while IntSys focuses on the gameplay systems. Pleeeaaaase be true.

Artemisia

Banned
bye i hate this game i was almost done chapter 18 and chereche got killed that stupid pink haired useless bitch should have dodged or at least not died in one fucking hit THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU WILL SEE THE BATTLEFIELD I AM TIRED OF YOUR SHIT

ibtkQoA5seYhPR.gif

Tharja has been absolute shit in my game, she can't get stats up for anything. Her and Kellam are the only two that have been totally screwed like that though, so far.

sorry, man - tharja & donny've been my happily-married boss-killer couple. total, unrelenting destruction! :) ...

Javier

Just beat Chapter 5 on my Lunatic Classic playthrough. Everyone still recruited and alive

Frederick is Level 11. It's impossible not to abuse him on Lunatic.

Just bought TEN Nosferatu, lol.

1. Move Tharja to the middle of the battlefield
2. Equip Nosferatu
3. ???
4. Profit

And I just married her to Gaius. <3

pahamrick

Is there no way to register digital copies of the game? I got the bundle, and linked my club nintendo account to my new eShop account but I still don't have a way to get the coins for Fire Emblem.

The bundle only came with a code for the 3DS itself.

Having that general skill proc every hit of an Astra is more akin to a fighting game IMO.

And I'm getting a bit bored of half my team being assassins, mixing stuff up a bit and just going with looks for now.

Grandmaster is actually quite a good class in terms of utility. They address the biggest flaw of assassin, which is that they can handle armored guys great due to also being able to magic. There more rounded stats also makes ignis better.

And now that I think about it, 48 skill vs 56 skill barely is any difference for skill proc lol.

So from a pure min maxing standpoint, shouldnt i onli marry characters of the same class type for the best results in their children? Aka Chrom with Sumia (or another melee class) and girls like Lissa and Maribelle with guys like Ricken, etc?

I know the major thing about marriage is the skills, as I could always just keep reclassing if I care about the best stats, but from a purist standpoint, it seems to me skills from all melee heroes would benefit a all melee offspring. This is of course ignoring hybrid classes like the avatar.

Couldn't keep all my dudes alive in the Chapter with the tree roots, so I changed my strategy and only brought Chrom, Avatar, Donny, and Nowi and just rushed straight up the middle for the win.

Javier

I cant beat chapter 5. I've been stuck on it for days in my lunatic run.
Have Lissa rescue Maribelle and Ricken with the Rescue Staff (You get one in Paralogue 1). Then give Frederick a couple of ranged weapons and have him take the enemies on the left. You need some luck so Frederick will take out as most as possible on the first enemy phase and Sumia pairing because of the Speed boost he gets. Then Frederick should choke the North point before the enemies sneak in. Frederick should also lure in the Dracoknights, but Chrom and Lon'qu can lure in one or two since the Dracos have low hit on them.

Expermient. It took me about 15 tries and there was lots of trial and error involved.

Is there no way to register digital copies of the game? I got the bundle, and linked my club nintendo account to my new eShop account but I still don't have a way to get the coins for Fire Emblem.

It registered automatically for me after linking my 3DS with my club Nintendo account.

So from a pure min maxing standpoint, shouldnt i onli marry characters of the same class type for the best results in their children? Aka Chrom with Sumia (or another melee class) and girls like Lissa and Maribelle with guys like Ricken, etc?

I know the major thing about marriage is the skills, as I could always just keep reclassing if I care about the best stats, but from a purist standpoint, it seems to me skills from all melee heroes would benefit a all melee offspring. This is of course ignoring hybrid classes like the avatar.

It depends on how the father affect's the unit's stat caps. Like CherchexVaike will give Gerome +7 to his strength stat cap if I remember correctly.

You can use this to see how the caps are affected with each potential couple.

Clunker

Just posting to say that this game, virtually by itself (well, along with the EOIV demo), got me to buy a used red/black 3DS XL. Bought FE digitally, even though I don't trust much of anything re: Nintendo's online policies, solely to have this at my every beck and call. If this ends up being nothing but my Fire Emblem/Etrian Odyssey/Advance Wars (pleeeeeease) machine, I will be completely satisfied.

I had a 3DS originally at launch, but sold it off due to money/disinterest; when I had it, though, I considered Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars as having the best implementation of 3D solely due to it's "living board game" feel, and I think FE nails that same exact feeling. I kind of hate 3D on the 3DS due to its narrow field of vision for me, but in strategy games where twitch skills don't matter, I think it looks beautiful.

Frolow

Banned
Just started the game, on chapter 4 now. I'm really liking how support conversations are outside battles now, makes building up relationships so much easier.

Just started the game, on chapter 4 now. I'm really liking how support conversations are outside battles now, makes building up relationships so much easier.

Yep.

Something Awakening definitely improved on over RD. Also, no restrictions on the number of supports you can have aside from only one S rank which is great.

VICI0US

if it's like other game/system bundles you'll get a "post play" survey for fire emblem in a week or two that should give you points for the game.

GeekyDad

So, I'm correct in thinking there's no way to save your game post
Grima
battle?

And the extras are fuggin' awesome. IS spared no expense.

Still surprised (well not really) that it took a demo to get so many newcomers. Time's a changing, and I like it.

I'm waiting for this as well. :I

Doesn't hurt that 99% of strategy games are clunky slow motherfuckers.

This is arguably one of the slickest games of this genre. Everything in terms of game flow speed, moving through menus, zero loading times, heck it takes seconds to get from game boot to game screen.

it's a really appealing package.

Mr. Fix

This is arguably one of the slickest games of this genre. Everything in terms of game flow speed, moving through menus, zero loading times, heck it takes seconds to get from game boot to game screen.

Indeed.

Wat.

Didn't you know all demo's reduce your sales by 50%. :p

:lol I guess what I meant to say was that I didn't expect it to be this hot on GAF. Stuff seems to fall off the radar often.

You know what sucks, many characters have unique sprites and animations for their starting class, and you will never ever see them again :(

They usually follow for their promotions, but I notice it the most on barbarians and berserkers. In fact, I don't think anyone has their own berserker sprite.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Medieval Batman, take me to the promised land. No one can stand in your way.

Chapter 22, done and done.

I wish newcomers had taken to TO PSP like this.

I've been trying to level up Donnel ever since I recruited him but he's so weak. He dies so easily, and even when I manage to keep him alive he doesn't get much XP. What am I doing wrong? Is he just too low-level (2) for my crew? Is he hopeless?

Mr. Fix

I've been trying to level up Donnel ever since I recruited him but he's so weak. He dies so easily, and even when I manage to keep him alive he doesn't get much XP. What am I doing wrong? Is he just too low-level (2) for my crew? Is he hopeless?

Hopeless?

mVWsfJK.png

It's best to have other units weaken an enemy and then have Donnel take them down after. Also, have someone that gives a good STR boost pair up with him. Of course, first you'd need to check how much damage Donnel would do initially and hope that your other units do enough damage to bring it down enough. He starts to be able to take down enemies a bit safer at level 10, but you should get him to 15 before reclassing him to a fighter or mercenary. That's when he starts going ham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom